Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
In- Ed, Charlie, Cuningham, Marchbank

Out- O'Shea, Garlett, O'Brien, Kerr.

Kerridge (who had a disastrous game) to the forward pocket. He isn't a bad shot for goal but his kicks coming inside 50 are abysmal.
Kerr is stiff but we cant carry him, Harry and Charlie in the same forward line. O'Brien has a future but Geelong will smash him.
If Murphy is out, Garlett gets a reprieve.

For those who are going to this game, good on you. Personally, I think we'll give a very good contest.
Agree with most of that, but what role do you see Garlett playing?

Seems to have a very mysterious role to me... (I can't figure it out?)

Garlett is a bit-part player at the moment but he offers something we don't have. Clean ball handling combined with good acceleration. He hits up at the ball well and rarely fumbles. Hopefully he has a break out game soon.

He makes good position a lot but needs the support of those around him. Like SPS. It seems to me, the elder statesmen in the team don't trust the younger kids enough and always look for the same suspects. I watched in horror last weekend as time after time we went wide when we had loose players calling for the footy inside the centra square. I think that's what BB was talking about in the presser when he said we went down the line to a contest too often. If we are to have any hope against Geelong, we need to vary our ball movement and take the centre corridor option when it's available. Also, we tend to handball to someone too close to the ball carrier and the recipient of the handball is under pressure as he receives it. Players like Garlett, SPS, Pickett, Cunningham could run and carry if they had that extra half a metre to a metre when they get the ball in hand. of course that presupposes there are forwards in the forward fifty to run towards.
H'll be ok. Reminds me of Houlihan the way he makes position and then gets ignored.

Every time I saw us switch to the central corridor it ended up in a goal out the back to Melbourne.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

kezza wrote:
Anyone here going to the game?
We thought about getting tickets but I am glad we decided against it.

they need you kez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Interestingly, I saw it the other way, Sinbagger. Yes Kerridge turned it over numerous times looking inside and Fisher once but as BS said, we are too hesitant to hit up an inside option or the players are too lacking in confidence to provide those options. If you look at the games, it's the new players from other teams that look inside as their first option. Kennedy did it in his first few games and Lang does the same. Unfortunately our players have become somewhat conditioned to taking the defensive option where the new guys are still instinctively looking to attack.

The problem Sunday was when we turned it over going down the line to half forward, the corridor was open for Melbourne to counter attack which they did often. We need to hit up some of those short 45 degree options to spread the defence and to make us less predictable to play against.
Hopefully once we get some players back on the park, that defensive mindset will dissipate.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
kezza wrote:

they need you kez

I'm going

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

CK95 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
kezza wrote:

they need you kez

I'm going

can you tell danger I think he's a knob :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

Rexy wrote:
kezza wrote:

they need you kez

I think I will pass on this one.
I went to Hobart and I think it nearly broke me.
I am just hanging in there.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
kezza wrote:

they need you kez

I'm going

Good on you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 pm 
Robert Walls

Fraser seemed most complimentary about Cunningham, Lobbe, Weitering and Phillips in his report on the Northern Blues match.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
In- Ed, Charlie, Cuningham, Marchbank

Out- O'Shea, Garlett, O'Brien, Kerr.

Kerridge (who had a disastrous game) to the forward pocket. He isn't a bad shot for goal but his kicks coming inside 50 are abysmal.
Kerr is stiff but we cant carry him, Harry and Charlie in the same forward line. O'Brien has a future but Geelong will smash him.
If Murphy is out, Garlett gets a reprieve.

For those who are going to this game, good on you. Personally, I think we'll give a very good contest.

Garlett is a bit-part player at the moment but he offers something we don't have. Clean ball handling combined with good acceleration. He hits up at the ball well and rarely fumbles. Hopefully he has a break out game soon.

He makes good position a lot but needs the support of those around him. Like SPS. It seems to me, the elder statesmen in the team don't trust the younger kids enough and always look for the same suspects. I watched in horror last weekend as time after time we went wide when we had loose players calling for the footy inside the centra square. I think that's what BB was talking about in the presser when he said we went down the line to a contest too often. If we are to have any hope against Geelong, we need to vary our ball movement and take the centre corridor option when it's available. Also, we tend to handball to someone too close to the ball carrier and the recipient of the handball is under pressure as he receives it. Players like Garlett, SPS, Pickett, Cunningham could run and carry if they had that extra half a metre to a metre when they get the ball in hand. of course that presupposes there are forwards in the forward fifty to run towards.
H'll be ok. Reminds me of Houlihan the way he makes position and then gets ignored.
Thanks for that,
I get that's what Garlett et al can do, but they're not doing it!.
Thus my original query.
On Sunday there were times it could have happened too... and a handball off was all that resulted.
Anyway, I am too 'text incompetent' to add a huge description of what I was seeing, but I rarely saw good positioning

Go you good things

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-0 ... ory-so-far

Quote:
Former Carlton captain and three-time premiership centre half-forward Mark Maclure is eminently qualified to reflect on his experiences at 'The Cattery'.

“I loved playing down there,” said the 243-game great this week. “The ground was good to play on, no drama, the players caught the bus from the club together and we’d have a drink on the way back . . . and so you should.

“I tell you what, the ground’s changed. They’ve done a good job and we as taxpayers have paid for it because the government gives them plenty.”

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bluechampion wrote:
Fraser seemed most complimentary about Cunningham, Lobbe, Weitering and Phillips in his report on the Northern Blues match.

I guess we couldn’t play any worse with three ruckman and an extra tall defender in the seniors....

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-05-23/carlton-and-kardinia-park-the-story-so-far

Quote:
Former Carlton captain and three-time premiership centre half-forward Mark Maclure is eminently qualified to reflect on his experiences at 'The Cattery'.

“I loved playing down there,” said the 243-game great this week. “The ground was good to play on, no drama, the players caught the bus from the club together and we’d have a drink on the way back . . . and so you should.

“I tell you what, the ground’s changed. They’ve done a good job and we as taxpayers have paid for it because the government gives them plenty.”

:lol:

He's getting more and more like Uncle Arthur every day :clap:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:

Garlett is an interchange decoy. Role is to try and trick Geelong into thinking they have too many players on the park and force an interchange infraction. Being on the ground but for all intents and purposes otherwise invisible and out of the play for 90% of the time he goads the opposition into over-estimating their numbers and potentially taking steps to correct the erroneous assumption. Downside is that in the process they kick 10 or 12 goals, upside is that maybe once a season or so we might get an extra free kick!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

2ndeffort wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Garlett is an interchange decoy. Role is to try and trick Geelong into thinking they have too many players on the park and force an interchange infraction. Being on the ground but for all intents and purposes otherwise invisible and out of the play for 90% of the time he goads the opposition into over-estimating their numbers and potentially taking steps to correct the erroneous assumption. Downside is that in the process they kick 10 or 12 goals, upside is that maybe once a season or so we might get an extra free kick!

I think you'll find you've cocked up the brackets.
Someone else posted that, not me but don't worry, your credibility isn't suffering in your attempt at cynicism.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 pm 
formerly King Kenny

So who is dropped? Jones, Rowe or Plowman for Weitering?

My preference is Jones to go. Had a couple of good games late, but again his positioning and timing lets him down time and time again.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Still take Jones over Rowe any day.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

smithy wrote:
Still take Jones over Rowe any day.

Agree...........love Rowe and everything about him.But Weitering is the future.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm 
formerly BlueRob

One way or another ... we need a big body to man up on Hawkins who killed us last time.

Its got to be Jones or Rowe on Hawkins ...

Weitering is not big enough.

Jones is too free wheeling.

I think Rowe has to play.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

@Stevo7AFL
EXCLUSIVE: Marc Murphy on crutches and will miss this week, with scans tomorrow to reveal the full extent of his absence beyond that. The skipper talks about the foot setback and his future at the Blues. Coming up @7NewsMelbourne tonight.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next