Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bigger bodies missing from our 22 on Saturday:

Small/Medium players: Docherty, Ed Curnow, Kennedy, Pickett, Williamson, Byrne
Tall players: Weitering, Marchbank, C Curnow, A Silvagni, IMO Macreadie.

Half a dozen of the above would have helped.

I remember talking to Stevie J at a coaches clinic preseason and he said Swans would never do what GWS and Carlton do and play kids who are not physically developed to play at the top level amongst men.

The Swans would give the kids a taste in seniors if form in NEAFL warranted a look, but that would be it and for the next 2-3 years they would be drilled and built up to play and withstand a physically demanding style regardless of position.

If SPS, Dowd, OBrien McKay Kerr Fisher etc attempted to play a physical brand of footy as needed to compete at AFL level, they would have been smashed. That's where we are at.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:

I remember talking to Stevie J at a coaches clinic preseason and he said Swans would never do what GWS and Carlton do and play kids who are not physically developed to play at the top level amongst men.

The Swans would give the kids a taste in seniors if form in NEAFL warranted a look, but that would be it and for the next 2-3 years they would be drilled and built up to play and withstand a physically demanding style regardless of position.

If SPS, Dowd, OBrien McKay Kerr Fisher etc attempted to play a physical brand of footy as needed to compete at AFL level, they would have been smashed. That's where we are at.

Someone on Facebook put up a side that didn't play Saturday. While obviously scratching towards the end that side would've pumped the side we sent out Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Last year I was at the same clash and Kreuzer monster end an underdone Gawn.

With Cripps Giibs Murphy at his feet, Kreuzer at the 4th mid, Docherty patrolling the backline, Simmo ran amok streaming through the midfield linking up and going forward we had their measure until Cripps broke his leg.

On Saturday Kreuzer was beaten comprehensively by Gawn who jumped over Kreuzer, and the ball was nowhere near Kreuzer to continue to be involved as a mid with his follow up.

It worked against Bombers and Bellchambers who wasn't strong enough to beat Kreuzer, but if Kreuzer isn't jumping or nullifying high jumping rucks, and there's a few, he isn't influential at all.

On Saturday it was Cripps in the midfield vs the 3 big bodied Dees mids.

No contest as they either crashed through or worked past SPS, Dowd and Fish. Graham won 20+ possessions but I don't recall many on the inside against the bigger Dees.

Interesting to hear on SEN that the Smallest player for WCE was 187 cm compared to Richmonds 178.
It's obvious bigger bodies ala Cripps are important.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Someone on Facebook put up a side that didn't play Saturday. While obviously scratching towards the end that side would've pumped the side we sent out Sunday.

I suppose you could almost make up a team comprising of injured or underdone players if you include lesser likes such as McDaid, LeBois...and even players like Lang is nowhere near as fit as the Dees players he was up against.

Can't believe Kerridge didn't play in the middle with Graham and Cripps but I guess we would be very slow, but we may have stemmed the flow.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Whilst being disappointedb to lose by 100 points, I wasn't devastated as some supporters having seen what we were up against.

Maybe I was shell shocked.

After the 10 minute mark of the 2nd I could see the writing was on the wall as the kids tired. Even Murphy couldn't keep up with the pace and didn't have the evasive skills he normally does that the Dees had in spades. Like Lang, he seemed underdone or a bit off the pace too.

The Dees were running on top of the grass. We were labouring. Nothing to do with effort IMO. Structures fell down because of that IMO.

Heard Dees had their best training session ever midweek, after a rest day, and followed that session with another rest before the game.

I think we hit the Dees at their absolute peak, and whether they can carry that form in finals is another thing, but if they do, they could do a Bulldogs or Richmond. I think I saw that on one of those Melbourne footy shows last night.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
jim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I suppose you could almost make up a team comprising of injured or underdone players if you include lesser likes such as McDaid, LeBois...and even players like Lang is nowhere near as fit as the Dees players he was up against.

Can't believe Kerridge didn't play in the middle with Graham and Cripps but I guess we would be very slow, but we may have stemmed the flow.

It's hypothetical but you assume fitness when you pick an alternative team as that's why they're out in most cases.

Like I said, you did have to scratch a bit for the last few places but the bulk of that team was a good one.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
Whateley said yesterday he's been to many of Carltons games and cant see any signs we'll be a good side. In Round 1 when we had a half decent list to choose from, we led the reigning premiers in the last quarter. He couldn't see any signs?
Perhaps the @#$%&! muppet needs to open his eyes first.
I hope we go down to Geelong this week and get over his beloved Cats. Just to see the sour look on his dial.

He made a very quick heel turn. I used to consider him one of the more thoughtful and circumspect members of the AFL media, now he's just another peanut in the long conga-line of knob heads.

bondiblue wrote:
Not only did the Dees seem to have a height advantage but also in body mass and leg muscle. Don't look at Average Age being the same. Take out Simmo Wright and Rowe and we are babies.

Judd pointed this out on Footy Assified when one of the others (probably Hutchy, I flicked over after it had been brought up) pointed out that Carlton and Melbourne's average ages and games played were very similar. Carlton consists of a bunch of kids and a handful of blokes a year or two from retirement, the cupboard is all but bare in the middle age group where there should be mature bodies who still have most of their career ahead of them and who should be shouldering the load.

Apparently that's too difficult a concept for the talking heads to understand.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am 
Bruce Doull

No fewer than 5 Melbourne players in the AFL Team of the Week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/k ... o-makes-it

That's more than the number of Eagles (4) who made the team after handsomely knocking off the reigning premier.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
I was at the game in perfect position level 1 wing with a few more tragics.
At the first bounce I was on the fence to get a feel for the 2 teams. My Dees mates ( good footballers) looked at Our kids run out and said before the Dees ran out "they're skinny kids: too small against us".

Not only did the Dees seem to have a height advantage but also in body mass and leg muscle. Don't look at Average Age being the same. Take out Simmo Wright and Rowe and we are babies.

We looked at the match ups and looked at each other and we all agreed this was a case of men against boys. Melksham isn't big but Lauhie OBrien looked tiny against him.

TV makes people look bigger hence the recruitment of skinny models for TV commercials.That sets the scene.

The first quarter was a huge surprise, but how long could the kids keep this up against a much bigger team who had been where we were 2-3 years ago.

We needed bigger bodies to compete. We couldn't keep up. It was obvious. Embarrassing.

We don't need Priority Picks IMO, we need an influx of bigger bodies.
Very obvious at the game. Also the offensive running when the ball was in dispute. When we won it we should have punished them but didn't with either poor decisions or turnovers.
Missed Ed, needed ANY bigger body.. One extra in the contest would have gone a long way.
I thought we would match up well, but at the ground I was already texting a mate at the end of the first saying that if we don't change strategy it will be 100 points....
Unfortunately Bang on.
My disappointment is that no one in the coaches box or on the ground seems to be onto it??

Go you good things

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
TV makes people look bigger hence the recruitment of skinny models for TV commercials.

In that case Zac Fisher must be more toothpick than man!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Interesting to hear on SEN that the Smallest player for WCE was 187 cm compared to Richmonds 178.

Duggun 184cm
Hutchings 181
Gaff 182
LeCras 184
Masten 180
Cole 186
Sheed 185
Jetta 182
Rioli 175
Cripps 183

No incorrect 10 were under the 187cm you listed played for West Coast on Sunday!! West Coast are beating teams with running power not bigger bodies and its what we lack at the moment ( and yes our kids still need to get bigger)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Why anyone would listen to SEN completely astounds me.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

scottopee wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Duggun 184cm
Hutchings 181
Gaff 182
LeCras 184
Masten 180
Cole 186
Sheed 185
Jetta 182
Rioli 175
Cripps 183

No incorrect 10 were under the 187cm you listed played for West Coast on Sunday!! West Coast are beating teams with running power not bigger bodies and its what we lack at the moment ( and yes our kids still need to get bigger)

Good work

I don't know why they said that, or Did I take it out of context? I'm sure I heard it right, but in essence what they alluded to was the match ups gave WCE an advantage in one on one contests in perfect conditions in Perth, and they wondered how WCE would go at the MCG in swirly conditions and the ball hits the ground more than it did at Optus.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm from interstate and really a novelty putting myself in a Melburnians shoes.

Gosh there's a hell of a lot of sensationalism.

Gerard Wheateley is a disgrace.
I prefer KB TBH, and I know how much he eggs on Carlton supporters to get a response.

Wheateley's approach isn't good for footy and unhealthy for teams he targets with his vitriol and would push suffering supporters who are on the edge of giving footy away. The hand that feeds him.

Disgrace = Wheateley

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
Macquarie Sports Radio is better :-)

Good to finally have a sport station in Sydney

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:

Radio snob :razz:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
GWS wrote:

Radio snob :razz:

I’ll take that as a compliment. :lol:

I don’t listen to radio and haven’t watched broadcast tv for seven years (other than the GF).

There’s so much available now WHEN you want to listen or watch it the idea of tuning in to some advertising exec’s idea of what I want to consume and when is mind boggling.

Liberating! :smile:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
GWS wrote:

I prefer KB TBH, and I know how much he eggs on Carlton supporters to get a response.

Wheateley's approach isn't good for footy and unhealthy for teams he targets with his vitriol and would push suffering supporters who are on the edge of giving footy away. The hand that feeds him.

Disgrace = Wheateley

I thought his resurrection of John Farnham’s career was outstanding.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Disgrace = Wheateley

From a financial perspective sure but from a musical one... :banghead:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Disgrace = Wheateley

:thumbsup: Funny you say that.

I was talking about that Wheateley and his Laywer Brereton with the music industry maestro at the Railway club over lunch yesterday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next