Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am 
Craig Bradley

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I couldn't watch the last third of the game. It was obvious that the coach's box was incapable of thinking through the situation even before then.
I commented at half time about the goals over the back and Kreuzer getting murdered at the stoppages and for those who think hitouts to advantage isn't a real stat, i invite you to look at the scoreline. Jones has a leap that can at least stop someone like Gawn giving his mids an armchair ride. I would have tried that.
I would also have tried putting someone behind the last Melbourne player in defence. I guessed at half time that we had had something like ten goals from players running back to take a mark or to run into an open goal. Just a guess but the first three goals of the third quarter were all in that categroy.

I am all for the rebuild and yes, we are going to lose a lot more games than we win over the next year or more BUT the coaching panel can't just sit dumbfounded in the box and make no changes to the lineup when it is obvious something needs to be done on the field. Shouting at the players won't fix a structural problem. Ever.

I have harped on about Kreuzer forever. He is NOT a tap ruckman. Phillips is a better tap ruckman than Kreuzer. It doesn't matter in some games that Kreuzer takes marks and kicks more behinds than Phillips. Sometimes, it is important to put in a ruckman who can jump and get a hand on the footy against a different type of ruck. It's no different to picking a second spinner to pay on the SCG. Put Kreuzer as a CHF/mid That's his strength, the follow up stuff in close. He's a whizz at that.

For me that whole non-reaction in the coach's box was the biggest issue in the list of 'cons'.

On the pro side, it looked as though SPS was going to get it a bit more and it was another game under the belt of the kids.
Also, Lamb is in our best 22. Cripps is a genuine star of the game and will fetch seven figures at a club like Sydney or Geelong where the salary cap seems to have no ceiling. He must genuinely wonder where he will be in a few years at this rate and if his mates from WA aren't already in his ear pointing at the WCE finals onslaught to come....

Geelong will come out on fire next week after losing to the drug cheats. If we aren't going to lose by 100 down there, we need all our available good players and a winning mindset. We also need the MC to look at the defensive setup. It's far too high and leaves us vulnerable to easy goals when the ball is turned over. I can see it. Most of the people on here can see it and many have commented on it but can Bolts see it or will he just keep flogging the same dead horse?

I'm not sure what football you watch. Kreuzer can lose every tapout, just don't want two ruckman as it fails us every time. For the sake of a few more tapouts, bugger all possessions and makes us slower. Why do you want to go back to something that has failed and failed and failed. Tapouts are an overrated stat. Kreuzer on the ball against Essendon* gave us 18 contested possession, much more important and something you don't get with two rucks. Might've been 20 behind in tapouts against Essendon* but still easily won the clearances. Even yesterday clearances were still pretty even. That's all that matters.

Kruezer is a ruckman not a key forward, he has been shown that many times plus we have plenty of key forwards, and he's not a midfielder as he'd be too slow. How much slower do you want us to be. He is a ruckman and been a damn good one for a long time, and like modern ruckmen gets plenty of the ball.

Last edited by jim on Mon May 21, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Yesterday was very disappointing but remember where we are coming from.
The future is more positive than Malthouse's last year in 2015.
With Gibbs going we will be better in the long run. I reckon O'Brien who we obtained with pick 10 from the Gibbs deal, looks ok however losing another key experienced player meant we would be further exposed if things didn't go our way.

The problem is two fold. We are still paying for terrible recruitment a few years ago. Those guys would now be in their mid twenties and
be the leaders. As it is we have a small group of senior players who can take the young kids under their wing. Many of those players are second raters which all clubs have.
We just can't afford injuries at this time of the rebuild. Unfortunately we have had a bad run in this department.
Have a think about the defence we have out at the moment.
Marchbank, MacCreadie, Williamson, Byrne, Docherty, Weitering, Silvangi(Alex)

That's a big difference. I rate MacCreadie highly. I reckon he has the potential to be a key backman. Weitering has been disappointing
but has a lot of talent and will be ok in the long run but having all these blokes out hasn't helped his development
Yesterday we had the worst defence on paper I can recall. Guys like Mullett , O'Shea and Jones are there to fill the gaps. All clubs have these players. I personally wouldn't have offered Jones a two year contract but he wouldn't be playing if our team wasn't so young with the injuries we have got. I admit its frustrating, but it is what it is.

You can't expect a team rebuilding with all these injuries to continue to match it with teams who are 3 to 5 years ahead with
their rebuild. We were ok early, but the dam was going to break after 5 good quarters ( obviously including Essendon** last week)

IMO we do need to address two main issues at the end of the season.

Make Cripps captain. Murphy simply isn't and hasn't been captain material. He has been past his best for a long time.
Have a stand alone VFL side is a must. Surround your kids with mature bodies who are capable footballers. Recruit from other VFL clubs,
country leagues, interstate etc. We need to be focusing on being immediately competitive at VFL level. Its a focus that has been
severely lacking by this club. Fix the problem and we will fast track our youngsters quicker so they are better prepared at AFL level.

As I said in the beginning we are coming from the longest way back possible. Think of how shit we were under Malthouse and Sticks
in 2015. Its a long road back and we will hit a few potholes.

Spot on with almost everything there.

Having Simpson/Mullet/O'Shea at the fall of the ball in defence is a disaster. While others aren't there I would be tempted to play a young forward/mid who knows how to read it off the pack to win some ground ball there.
SPS? Fisher?
Costs us up the ground but maybe it could have stopped the avalanche a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

keogh wrote:
With Gibbs going we will be better in the long run. I reckon O'Brien who we obtained with pick 10 from the Gibbs deal, looks ok however losing another key experienced player meant we would be further exposed if things didn't go our way.

The problem is two fold. We are still paying for terrible recruitment a few years ago. Those guys would now be in their mid twenties and
be the leaders. As it is we have a small group of senior players who can take the young kids under their wing. Many of those players are second raters which all clubs have.
We just can't afford injuries at this time of the rebuild. Unfortunately we have had a bad run in this department.

That's a big difference. I rate MacCreadie highly. I reckon he has the potential to be a key backman. Weitering has been disappointing
but has a lot of talent and will be ok in the long run but having all these blokes out hasn't helped his development
Yesterday we had the worst defence on paper I can recall. Guys like Mullett , O'Shea and Jones are there to fill the gaps. All clubs have these players. I personally wouldn't have offered Jones a two year contract but he wouldn't be playing if our team wasn't so young with the injuries we have got. I admit its frustrating, but it is what it is.

You can't expect a team rebuilding with all these injuries to continue to match it with teams who are 3 to 5 years ahead with
their rebuild. We were ok early, but the dam was going to break after 5 good quarters ( obviously including Essendon** last week)

Make Cripps captain. Murphy simply isn't and hasn't been captain material. He has been past his best for a long time.
Have a stand alone VFL side is a must. Surround your kids with mature bodies who are capable footballers. Recruit from other VFL clubs,
country leagues, interstate etc. We need to be focusing on being immediately competitive at VFL level. Its a focus that has been
severely lacking by this club. Fix the problem and we will fast track our youngsters quicker so they are better prepared at AFL level.

As I said in the beginning we are coming from the longest way back possible. Think of how shit we were under Malthouse and Sticks

One of your best posts ever!!!

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

moshe25 wrote:
keogh wrote:

their rebuild. We were ok early, but the dam was going to break after 5 good quarters ( obviously including Essendon*** last week)

Totally Agree!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

moshe25 wrote:
keogh wrote:

their rebuild. We were ok early, but the dam was going to break after 5 good quarters ( obviously including Essendon*** last week)

Must be the prozac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

Have to agree but yesterday wasn’t a pothole - more like a sink hole - actually more like the Mariana Trench.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Wojee wrote:
NTBlue wrote:
I cannot understand why our players persist in kicking across the ground often to a contest instead of kicking to a contest 50 metres closer to our goals. On one occasion yesterday a player kicked across the ground in Melb forward line to a contest between one Carlton player and three Melbourne players - the result was not too good. Every side we have played this year have scored goals from this type of mistake. It seems that a major element in our game plan is to avoid kicking to a contest down the line, but OK to do it going backwards or sideways.

They didn't just kick across the ground to a contest, they advised their opponents they were going to do so in writing, text message and email it was that obvious that it was coming.

:-)

Jake Lever had the postman deliver his messages via snail mail and still had time for a few runs at Bulla.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
keogh wrote:

their rebuild. We were ok early, but the dam was going to break after 5 good quarters ( obviously including Essendon**** last week)

Must be the prozac

:smoking:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

I was disappointed we didn't shift Kerridge into an inside role yesterday, after it became clear we were being belted at the stoppages. His outside ball use was horrible yesterday. And we could have done with another bigger body in there competing. We really missed Ed yesterday. We can cover tall defenders getting injuries, but we really, really struggle when our key midfielders go down.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

O'Shea gives two free kicks away right in front of goal early in the first quarter. Has to go.

One of those panic merchant defenders like Marcus Davies you can't afford to have in your backline.

Who was responsible for his recruitment?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLCA Votes

10 Melksham
8 T McDonald
6 N Jones
2 Gawn
2 Lever
1 P Cripps
1 Neal-Bullen

Leaderboard

Round Nine Leaderboard
48 Nat Fyfe (Frem)
42 Jack Darling (WC)
42 Max Gawn (Melb)
40 Jack Macrae (WB)
40 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
38 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
37 Trent Cotchin Rich)
34 Rory Laird (Adel)
33 Steele Sidebottom (Coll)
31 Ben Brown (NM)
31 Dustin Martin (Rich)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

As they say in the sweet science,we know you can throw a punch,but can you take a punch.............well,we can apply pressure,but unfortunately we can't take pressure.All our disposals were hurried and rushed.Could not get rid of the ball quick enough.Basically we shat ourselves...........some of these kids have plenty of natural talent which is great.There is a good base emerging.But the kids gotta harden the eff up quick smart and realise AFL is cruel and unforgiving...............That was a disgrace to our great club yesterday and you just can't dress it up.

They copped a well deserved old fashioned spray at three quarter time.Result sooked and sulked and threw in the towel..Pathetic.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
As they say in the sweet science,we know you can throw a punch,but can you take a punch.............well,we can apply pressure,but unfortunately we can't take pressure.All our disposals were hurried and rushed.Could not get rid of the ball quick enough.Basically we shat ourselves...........some of these kids have plenty of natural talent which is great.There is a good base emerging.But the kids gotta harden the eff up quick smart and realise AFL is cruel and unforgiving...............That was a disgrace to our great club yesterday and you just can't dress it up.

They copped a well deserved old fashioned spray at three quarter time.Result sooked and sulked and threw in the towel..Pathetic.

It was a pretty pathetic display all around. Real Pagan days stuff to be honest. The tackles we were mainly sticking in the first quarter were like cream puffs in the last half. Some due to our young boys getting tired, but some just terribly weak efforts. The joys of being a Blues fan these days.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I couldn't watch the last third of the game. It was obvious that the coach's box was incapable of thinking through the situation even before then.
I commented at half time about the goals over the back and Kreuzer getting murdered at the stoppages and for those who think hitouts to advantage isn't a real stat, i invite you to look at the scoreline. Jones has a leap that can at least stop someone like Gawn giving his mids an armchair ride. I would have tried that.
I would also have tried putting someone behind the last Melbourne player in defence. I guessed at half time that we had had something like ten goals from players running back to take a mark or to run into an open goal. Just a guess but the first three goals of the third quarter were all in that categroy.

I am all for the rebuild and yes, we are going to lose a lot more games than we win over the next year or more BUT the coaching panel can't just sit dumbfounded in the box and make no changes to the lineup when it is obvious something needs to be done on the field. Shouting at the players won't fix a structural problem. Ever.

I have harped on about Kreuzer forever. He is NOT a tap ruckman. Phillips is a better tap ruckman than Kreuzer. It doesn't matter in some games that Kreuzer takes marks and kicks more behinds than Phillips. Sometimes, it is important to put in a ruckman who can jump and get a hand on the footy against a different type of ruck. It's no different to picking a second spinner to pay on the SCG. Put Kreuzer as a CHF/mid That's his strength, the follow up stuff in close. He's a whizz at that.

For me that whole non-reaction in the coach's box was the biggest issue in the list of 'cons'.

On the pro side, it looked as though SPS was going to get it a bit more and it was another game under the belt of the kids.
Also, Lamb is in our best 22. Cripps is a genuine star of the game and will fetch seven figures at a club like Sydney or Geelong where the salary cap seems to have no ceiling. He must genuinely wonder where he will be in a few years at this rate and if his mates from WA aren't already in his ear pointing at the WCE finals onslaught to come....

Geelong will come out on fire next week after losing to the drug cheats. If we aren't going to lose by 100 down there, we need all our available good players and a winning mindset. We also need the MC to look at the defensive setup. It's far too high and leaves us vulnerable to easy goals when the ball is turned over. I can see it. Most of the people on here can see it and many have commented on it but can Bolts see it or will he just keep flogging the same dead horse?

I'm not sure what football you watch. Kreuzer can lose every tapout, just don't want two ruckman as it fails us every time. For the sake of a few more tapouts, bugger all possessions and makes us slower. Why do you want to go back to something that has failed and failed and failed. Tapouts are an overrated stat. Kreuzer on the ball against Essendon** gave us 18 contested possession, much more important and something you don't get with two rucks. Might've been 20 behind in tapouts against Essendon** but still easily won the clearances. Even yesterday clearances were still pretty even. That's all that matters.

Kruezer is a ruckman not a key forward, he has been shown that many times plus we have plenty of key forwards, and he's not a midfielder as he'd be too slow. How much slower do you want us to be. He is a ruckman and been a damn good one for a long time, and like modern ruckmen gets plenty of the ball.

Look at the scoreboard. At half time, Melbourne had scored four of their goals from taps to advantage.
Imagine how many clearances we would win if Kreuzer got his hands on te ball first. He's too good in the mauls to drop but he can't cut it as a tap ruckman.
If you don't think taps to advantage are a real stat, look at the scoreboard. That will tell you something.
If you don't think taps to advantage are a real stat, look at the scoreboard WCE v Sydney.

Flogging a dead horse by letting Gawn thrash Kreuzer in the centre was a tactical error that the coach allowed to go on and on and on. Personally, I'm not happy to be getting flogged by 100 points. I'm less happy that the coach's box did nothing. The only reason we get clearances is because we have the best young inside clearance player the game has ever seen. Take him out and we'd be lucky to get the ball inside 50 at all.
I don't care whether we play two rucks or not. I do care that Kreuzer can't jump off the ground.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Some of the media commentary going around after this game shows the shortsightedness expected.
Gerard Whateley says teams who are in the 3rd year of a rebuild don't lose games by 104 points. According to him it shows our list is no good.
In Paul Roos' last game as Melbourne coach, they lost by 111 points. I recall similar commentary. 12 months later, they were fighting for a spot in the 8. According to Whateley, recognising that means you are accepting the defeat. I don't accept it but when I look at the team we put out on the park, I understand why it happened.
Our midfield Sunday consisted of a gun midfielder, a VFL player at best and a bunch of first and second year kids. Consequently Melbourne kicked a shitload of goals from stoppages. Their free running mids made our second rate defence look third rate.

I recall a few weeks ago, Brisbane kicked their first goal against Richmond late in the third quarter. Their score was 2.5 at the end of the game. The media were saying they'd overrated their list. A few weeks later, they're the rising stars of the competition. :lol:

Whateley said yesterday he's been to many of Carltons games and cant see any signs we'll be a good side. In Round 1 when we had a half decent list to choose from, we led the reigning premiers in the last quarter. He couldn't see any signs?
Perhaps the @#$%&! muppet needs to open his eyes first.
I hope we go down to Geelong this week and get over his beloved Cats. Just to see the sour look on his dial.

It's a rough ride but I have no doubt whatsoever we'll have a list that will play finals in 2 years. I doesn't look like it this week (just like it didn't for Melbourne 32 games ago) but we have too much young talent for it to not happen IMO.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Just have to hope the board don't wet the bed.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Some of the media commentary going around after this game shows the shortsightedness expected.
Gerard Whateley says teams who are in the 3rd year of a rebuild don't lose games by 104 points. According to him it shows our list is no good.
In Paul Roos' last game as Melbourne coach, they lost by 111 points. I recall similar commentary. 12 months later, they were fighting for a spot in the 8. According to Whateley, recognising that means you are accepting the defeat. I don't accept it but when I look at the team we put out on the park, I understand why it happened.
Our midfield Sunday consisted of a gun midfielder, a VFL player at best and a bunch of first and second year kids. Consequently Melbourne kicked a shitload of goals from stoppages. Their free running mids made our second rate defence look third rate.

I recall a few weeks ago, Brisbane kicked their first goal against Richmond late in the third quarter. Their score was 2.5 at the end of the game. The media were saying they'd overrated their list. A few weeks later, they're the rising stars of the competition. :lol:

Whateley said yesterday he's been to many of Carltons games and cant see any signs we'll be a good side. In Round 1 when we had a half decent list to choose from, we led the reigning premiers in the last quarter. He couldn't see any signs?
Perhaps the @#$%&! muppet needs to open his eyes first.
I hope we go down to Geelong this week and get over his beloved Cats. Just to see the sour look on his dial.

It's a rough ride but I have no doubt whatsoever we'll have a list that will play finals in 2 years. I doesn't look like it this week (just like it didn't for Melbourne 32 games ago) but we have too much young talent for it to not happen IMO.

i dunno. comparing us to melbourne as a beacon of hope doesn't sit too well with me. fighting for a spot in the 8? is that considered success? and now. all i see is a team of flat track bullies that turn to clay as soon as a proper top 8 team gives it to them.

i'd be really surprised if melbourne top out and go further than what ratten took us in 2011. i'd also be surprised if we're playing finals in 2 years with bolton as coach.

PS brisbane are playing good footy and like us last season, have been in most games they've played and accredited themselves pretty well. they play with solidarity and an edge ... all things which we have lost from this year to last.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
Just have to hope the board don't wet the bed.

Yep...externally they appear to be so fingers crossed they see this all the way through

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 am 
Craig Bradley

Interesting interview with Max Gawn...

""Kreuzer's played one of the best games against me. That scares me. I've always wanted to get one back on him. I rate Kreuzer as the number 1 guy to play."

Max Gawn with some high praise for a Blue #RSNBreakfastClub"

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was at the game in perfect position level 1 wing with a few more tragics.
At the first bounce I was on the fence to get a feel for the 2 teams. My Dees mates ( good footballers) looked at Our kids run out and said before the Dees ran out "they're skinny kids: too small against us".

Not only did the Dees seem to have a height advantage but also in body mass and leg muscle. Don't look at Average Age being the same. Take out Simmo Wright and Rowe and we are babies.

We looked at the match ups and looked at each other and we all agreed this was a case of men against boys. Melksham isn't big but Lauhie OBrien looked tiny against him.

TV makes people look bigger hence the recruitment of skinny models for TV commercials.That sets the scene.

The first quarter was a huge surprise, but how long could the kids keep this up against a much bigger team who had been where we were 2-3 years ago.

We needed bigger bodies to compete. We couldn't keep up. It was obvious. Embarrassing.

We don't need Priority Picks IMO, we need an influx of bigger bodies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next