Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

If you've ever read or listened to anything by The Grade Cricketer it has a whole new meaning

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

Carlton chocolates to boiled lollies in a week, Essendon* the reverse.

Got to wonder if Murphy wasn't rushed back too soon. Wonderful player though he is Cripps is probably the worst set shot for goal in the side, not the only one, but gee those misses kill you.

Ah well, move on, 2019 can't come quick enough.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

this season there is a night and day comparison. cfc playing under Cripps as captain and under murphy as captain.

i much prefer cripps

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

Heavs wrote:
Con: it's a small thing but I'm not a fan of the getting into the face of the oppo every time we kick a goal. Obviously it is pretty rare but it just looks shit. There are other ways to show intent.

I agree. It’s such a false display of “toughness”. Losing by 100 points and trying to give lip all day is pathetic. I’d like them to pull their heads in and spend more energy getting the footy.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blues87 wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Con: it's a small thing but I'm not a fan of the getting into the face of the oppo every time we kick a goal. Obviously it is pretty rare but it just looks shit. There are other ways to show intent.

I agree. It’s such a false display of “toughness”. Losing by 100 points and trying to give lip all day is pathetic. I’d like them to pull their heads in and spend more energy getting the footy.

I’m all for not backing down or letting ourselves be pushed around, but there has to be a balance. It works when it’s the spark to a run of goals, but not when straight after doing it the team commits some diabolical passage of play to basically pop the balloon.

This is another of those things we need to get right to be a contender.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

Heavs wrote:
Pro: donstuie getting champed by a super flog in the match day thread. Was funny. That's about it.

Don't have to do it every time you kick a goal as it loses its effect. A well-timed " in your face" at the right time often works mentally though.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Pro: donstuie getting champed by a super flog in the match day thread. Was funny. That's about it.

Don't have to do it every time you kick a goal as it loses its effect. A well-timed " in your face" at the right time often works mentally though.

Yeah agree. But to me it seems almost like a coached thing. A natural reaction when the blood is pumping is fine but this seems forced and I'm not a fan. Small beer really, there are enough other issues to work on.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

Embarrasing performance. The players never looked interested this week. Last week was complete opposite...

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
If you've ever read or listened to anything by The Grade Cricketer it has a whole new meaning

I’ve had days when I’ve been champed with quality. Today wasn’t one of those days.

Sunrise, sunset, and all that...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Melbourne moved the ball with speed and purpose.

Our guys seemed too scared to take the game on, rather chipping the ball sideways and backwards. And when we kicked long down the line the element of surprise was gone becasue we hesitated for ten or fifteen seconds to move the ball on. Get the ball and kick it long quickly so we don't let the opposition set up. This might not be to the game plan but just back yourself and mix up the game plan so you keep the opposition guessing. Don't be afraid to put your team mate under some pressure, just deliver tha ball to a contest and let your young teammates learn to win the contested ball.

That's about it from me.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Too many little bodies around the ball and not enough running and pressure.

Sow and O'Brien could do with a break. Ed and Cuningham should offer a lot more.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

They looked good, we made them look great.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

79Vintage wrote:
Melbourne moved the ball with speed and purpose.

Our guys seemed too scared to take the game on, rather chipping the ball sideways and backwards. And when we kicked long down the line the element of surprise was gone becasue we hesitated for ten or fifteen seconds to move the ball on. Get the ball and kick it long quickly so we don't let the opposition set up. This might not be to the game plan but just back yourself and mix up the game plan so you keep the opposition guessing. Don't be afraid to put your team mate under some pressure, just deliver tha ball to a contest and let your young teammates learn to win the contested ball.

That's about it from me.

This for me was a key today. Melbourne are one of those teams who seem to smell fear and weakness, and then move in for the kill. One of the reasons they always crumble against finals contenders is that those teams don’t hesitate, they aren’t uncertain and they play with purpose. Melbourne can’t get in the head of those teams and frighten them, but after qtr time today we let them in.

I’ll be curious to see what Melbourne bring against the Crows next week. I’d wager that they’ll have a pretty different experience (despite the Crows’ own frailties).

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I only saw the first half. Melbourne aren't great and weren't playing well but our defence was nonexistent. I could see what we were trying to do with our ball movement but it was so fast that a lot of the time our guys hadn't made it into position to provide an option.

The defensive side was truly awful though. Melbourne were able to get plenty of extra numbers forward of the ball and we left them on their own. Our defenders were playing way too far off their man, obviously the aim is to get intercept marks and set up our ball movement but all it's doing is making it easy for their forwards to take marks. Too many times a Melbourne forward was able to get out the back and get an easy shot at goal.

We're young and injury plagued at the moment but I'm a bit disappointed in the coaching and game plan as well. Education is great, setting us up to get smashed isn't.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Saw the first quarter before heading to my sons footy.

Basically lost by over 100 points in 3 quarters.

That needs repeating. Lost by over 100 points in 3 quarters.

That's @#$%&! pitiful. Especially on the back of a win.

We'll go nowhere being soft and uncompetitive.

Unacceptable.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Our players are not THAT bad nor THAT dumb. There's a disconnect between group and game plan.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sin City wrote:
I only saw the first half. Melbourne aren't great and weren't playing well but our defence was nonexistent. I could see what we were trying to do with our ball movement but it was so fast that a lot of the time our guys hadn't made it into position to provide an option.

The defensive side was truly awful though. Melbourne were able to get plenty of extra numbers forward of the ball and we left them on their own. Our defenders were playing way too far off their man, obviously the aim is to get intercept marks and set up our ball movement but all it's doing is making it easy for their forwards to take marks. Too many times a Melbourne forward was able to get out the back and get an easy shot at goal.

We're young and injury plagued at the moment but I'm a bit disappointed in the coaching and game plan as well. Education is great, setting us up to get smashed isn't.

Bingo! Had the same conversations during the game with others. This is what I and others are concerned about. Not age or injuries but our setups...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:
Embarrasing performance. The players never looked interested this week. Last week was complete opposite...

Let's be honest, last week was just as shit, luckily it was against a more shitter opposition. When pressure is applied, we crumble. No mental strength whatsoever!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 pm 
Horrie Clover

There were numerous occasions when it looked like a training run for Melbourne.

Don't know what's worse - when we ball watch and basically let them do what they like, or when we go in and actually get the ball but then find new and imaginative ways to butcher it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:14 pm 
Garry Crane

bolton,lamb.mullet.oshea,kerridge,rowe,wright,murphy,jones got to go

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next