Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who should be our next Captain?
Patrick Cripps 62%  62%  [ 82 ]
Sam Docherty 14%  14%  [ 19 ]
Both 21%  21%  [ 28 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 132
 Post subject: Re: Next Captain....?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Now that Cripps has re-signed he must be made captain in 2019. Not as a simple thank you, but because he is a figure that the club can, and should, build itself around.

Murphy, despite all he has given and endured for the club, cannot match the qualities of Cripps.

I know a lot of what I am saying is feelgood bullshit, but I also believe Cripps as captain is a move that has to be made. Here’s a few reasons why:

– He is capable. Cripps has shown during Murph’s absence that he leads by example as captain and, importantly, that he is not hindered by the responsibility.

– Style of play. This quote from his presser today sums things up well: “No matter what game time I play or where I play, I am going to have a crack at the ball.”

– Let him lead, others will follow. He will make players walk taller. He already makes supporters walk taller. And he can carry the club, organisation wide. Cripps is the man.

– Cripps is Carlton. Carlton is Cripps. Too often people say we have no brand, or they don’t know what we stand for. Cripps can’t do it all on his own, of course, but it looks to me that he has all the attributes required to be the figurehead Carlton needs to move forward.

Just @#$%&! do it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm 
Robert Walls

camelboy wrote:
Now that Cripps has re-signed he must be made captain in 2019. Not as a simple thank you, but because he is a figure that the club can, and should, build itself around.

Murphy, despite all he has given and endured for the club, cannot match the qualities of Cripps.

I know a lot of what I am saying is feelgood bullshit, but I also believe Cripps as captain is a move that has to be made. Here’s a few reasons why:

– He is capable. Cripps has shown during Murph’s absence that he leads by example as captain and, importantly, that he is not hindered by the responsibility.

– Style of play. This quote from his presser today sums things up well: “No matter what game time I play or where I play, I am going to have a crack at the ball.”

– Let him lead, others will follow. He will make players walk taller. He already makes supporters walk taller. And he can carry the club, organisation wide. Cripps is the man.

– Cripps is Carlton. Carlton is Cripps. Too often people say we have no brand, or they don’t know what we stand for. Cripps can’t do it all on his own, of course, but it looks to me that he has all the attributes required to be the figurehead Carlton needs to move forward.

Just @#$%&! do it!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd also be Ok with co-captains - Doc and Cripps

Last edited by bluebo baggers on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

A lot of valid points there.

For me if Murphy decided to step down then, Captain Crippa just has a nice ring to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

:clap: :clap: Crippa Is The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:

For me if Murphy decided to step down then, Captain Crippa just has a nice ring to it.

We should make Murphy step down. I don't care how it's done, it just needs to be done.

At worst, Murphy and Cripps co-captains, even though I'm generally loathe to go down that route.

But, really, Murph needs to be relegated for the good of the club.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:

I'm pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall and won't put his hand up. I see it playing out similarly to the end of 1985. Johnno wasn't a great captain, didn't want to be captain anymore, had a terrible 1985 and at seasons end let the appropriate person know he wouldn't go on in a leadership capacity. Mark Maclure became captain, Ken Hunter was named Vice-captain and the Dominator won the B&F (shared with Braddles).

My hope for Murph is that his next two years are not as vanilla as his last two.

I'm not fussed who the next captain is. Both Cripps and Docherty come across as outstanding young leaders.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

Doch would make a great Carlton Captain....if Cripps didn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep, on the Doc v Cripps scenario, I agree both would be a good choice.

But I think Doc's injury has inadvertently paved the way for Cripps.

Cripps' captaincy cameos this year have elevated him to become the standout choice.

Obvs, if I get my way, Cripps will be captain and Doc will be vice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

If Murphy decides??
It should not be up to him.
Surely we will not have another year with Murph as CPtain?
He has had plenty of years in the job.
No question there must be a change.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluegirl72 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

If Murphy decides??
It should not be up to him.
Surely we will not have another year with Murph as CPtain?
He has had plenty of years in the job.
No question there must be a change.

THIS. Murph had a crack but the time has come. On what we've seen so far, Cripps will be the best Capt since the '70s and I can't think of a better young leader in the comp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:

Just @#$%&! do it!

Totally agree

Even Doc has seen first hand why Crippa would be the natural choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
camelboy wrote:

I'm pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall and won't put his hand up. I see it playing out similarly to the end of 1985. Johnno wasn't a great captain, didn't want to be captain anymore, had a terrible 1985 and at seasons end let the appropriate person know he wouldn't go on in a leadership capacity. Mark Maclure became captain, Ken Hunter was named Vice-captain and the Dominator won the B&F (shared with Braddles).

My hope for Murph is that his next two years are not as vanilla as his last two.

I'm not fussed who the next captain is. Both Cripps and Docherty come across as outstanding young leaders.

Thanks for the insight. Didn't know that.

Hope Murph steps up a level.

I'd rather him have 25 possessions rather than 35 and remember most of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

We should make Murphy step down. I don't care how it's done, it just needs to be done.

At worst, Murphy and Cripps co-captains, even though I'm generally loathe to go down that route.

Murphy is a good leader and respected by the players, but it might be to the benefit of his game if he relinquishes the pressure as the captain.

Decided = Encouraged.

Post subject: Next Captain....?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I don't know if it has been mentioned but when Howell whacked Cripps and sent him to the deck.
Our current non inspirational leader brushed past 2 other Carlton players and promptly sat Howell on his arse.
Funny how things like that never seem to get mentioned around here and his 35 disposal game easily Carltons best
I suppose you see what you want to see

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned but when Howell whacked Cripps and sent him to the deck.
Our current non inspirational leader brushed past 2 other Carlton players and promptly sat Howell on his arse.
Funny how things like that never seem to get mentioned around here and his 35 disposal game easily Carltons best
I suppose you see what you want to see

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep,i noticed that and mentioned it..............stood out like you know what.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 pm 
Horrie Clover

Doc for me, however Cripps is fine also. Just wish people would leave the negative Murph quotes alone and Murph has a blinder of a 2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd rather agree with Walls over Malthouse, but I'd still like Cripps to takeover next year…

Robert Walls says Marc Murphy should remain as Carlton captain
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/blues- ... 556eee3b53

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Macfart wrote:
Doc for me, however Cripps is fine also. Just wish people would leave the negative Murph quotes alone and Murph has a blinder of a 2019

Nice choice to have and I agree, LEAVE MURPH ALONE.

Always been a MM fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Macfart wrote:

Nice choice to have and I agree, LEAVE MURPH ALONE.

Always been a MM fan.

Micky Malthouse :sly:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
I'd rather agree with Walls over Malthouse, but I'd still like Cripps to takeover next year…

Robert Walls says Marc Murphy should remain as Carlton captain
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/blues- ... 556eee3b53

Walls is so wrong on this one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next