Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who should be our next Captain?
Patrick Cripps 62%  62%  [ 82 ]
Sam Docherty 14%  14%  [ 19 ]
Both 21%  21%  [ 28 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 132
 Post subject: Re: Next Captain....?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
We have a Mitchell/Hodge situation. All good.

Spot on.

Once we move on from Richie Vandenberg.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Vandenberg could take a hit.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:
verbs wrote:
We have a Mitchell/Hodge situation. All good.

Spot on.

Once we move on from Richie Vandenberg.
:clap:

Go Blues

Post subject: Next Captain....?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sam was commenting on the ABC yesterday... Very impressive... Gee anything this guy can't do?

Go you good things

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Worst idea ever to let players decide who the captain is. Quickest way possible to allowing the tail to wag the dog.

The senior coach should pick the player he feels will get his message across.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 1b117025ce

Mick Malthouse runs the rule over every AFL captain and says Marc Murphy has failed with Carlton
Mick Malthouse, Herald Sun
17 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Take a look at the current group of AFL captains and you’ll notice a stark contrast among them.

Not every great player will make a great captain, but when appointed captain, you are expected to play great.

Captain’s set the team standards and live by those standards. They are used as a reference for what direction the club is heading in.

It’s a tough gig.

Joel Selwood is a standout as Geelong captain. He is tough, unrelenting, and never asks his teammates to do what he’s not prepared to do himself.

He puts his body on the line and is vocal in giving direction on field.

It seems that Selwood is a natural leader. Some people are.

Like a young man I watched over the weekend. With similar traits to Selwood, I was very impressed with the leadership capabilities of North Melbourne’s Jack Ziebell.

Mick’s verdict: Who should retire at your club?

Malthouse: the torment of missing out

Malthouse: Why winning on the road is critical
The image that shows Murphy walking off behind Cripps

He is as tough as nails, committed, vocal, and leads his team on the ground and off it.

This is a big one.

If you are prepared to walk down the race in front of your teammates before the game, then you must be prepared to lead them back off the ground afterwards, regardless of the outcome.

Or at the very least, have your arm around the strugglers offering support.

It’s a tip for Carlton captain Marc Murphy.

In recent weeks it’s been Patrick Cripps – touted as the next Blues skipper – who has walked the team off the ground.

Cripps has all the attributes of a natural leader. He is tough, proud, unrelenting, and plays his guts out every week.

The example he sets is one for his teammates to follow.

I have been in the fortunate position to appoint most of my captains at each club I’ve coached.
Joel Selwood is Mick’s standout captain in the AFL

Jimmy Edmond was the anointed leader at Footscray when I arrived and stayed in the position for a further two years before I moved fullback Rick Kennedy into the role.

It’s a tough position to captain from but we had a young team that needed experienced guidance.

Steve Malaxos led West Coast in my first season there, until I appointed a young, but highly credentialed John Worsfold who was my captain for eight years.

Collingwood had Nathan Buckley as its skipper, and he was a good leader.

But he needed to work on a few areas including his communication skills, which he did.

He was a fantastic leader for the next eight years.

Carlton was different. Chris Judd was in the twilight of his career and wanted to step away from the responsibilities of captain.

I had a choice of three to replace him.

Andrew Carazzo was the standout applicant, but unfortunately he was too often injured.
Trent Cotchin has grown to look far more comfortable in the skippers’ shoes, to the Tigers’ benefit.

A leader needs resilience so he can play alongside his teammates as often as possible.

Kade Simpson was also in the mix, but as a then 29-year-old who puts himself in a vulnerable position with the courageous way he plays each week, I wasn’t sure how much football he had left in him.

So I chose a young man who could grow into the position over the long term.

I knew that Marc Murphy would need a lot of assistance, but he wanted the job, and I thought we had time enough to work on it together.

Leadership can become a burden. At times you are ostracized, when you need to make decisions that can impact on friendships.

You are the focus of media and supporter attention.

And you have to keep your standards up, week in week out.

But captaincy doesn’t have to be a millstone around your neck.

And you don’t have to do it alone if you have the right support around you with capable deputies.

As coach you must also ease some of the burden because you need your captain to enjoy his leadership.

In Trent Cotchin’s early days as captain, every Richmond loss seemed to fall totally on his shoulders, and it weighed him down, effecting his form.

But he has grown through that period to look far more comfortable in the skippers’ shoes, to the Tigers’ benefit.
Mick is wondering if Travis Boak is currently feeling bogged down by the weight of responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/mick-malthouse-runs-the-rule-over-every-afl-captain-and-says-marc-murphy-has-failed-with-carlton/news-story/72b45e583757acd6d473cf1b117025ce

Mick Malthouse runs the rule over every AFL captain and says Marc Murphy has failed with Carlton
Mick Malthouse, Herald Sun
17 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Take a look at the current group of AFL captains and you’ll notice a stark contrast among them.

Not every great player will make a great captain, but when appointed captain, you are expected to play great.

Captain’s set the team standards and live by those standards. They are used as a reference for what direction the club is heading in.

It’s a tough gig.

Joel Selwood is a standout as Geelong captain. He is tough, unrelenting, and never asks his teammates to do what he’s not prepared to do himself.

He puts his body on the line and is vocal in giving direction on field.

It seems that Selwood is a natural leader. Some people are.

Like a young man I watched over the weekend. With similar traits to Selwood, I was very impressed with the leadership capabilities of North Melbourne’s Jack Ziebell.

Mick’s verdict: Who should retire at your club?

Malthouse: the torment of missing out

Malthouse: Why winning on the road is critical
The image that shows Murphy walking off behind Cripps

He is as tough as nails, committed, vocal, and leads his team on the ground and off it.

This is a big one.

If you are prepared to walk down the race in front of your teammates before the game, then you must be prepared to lead them back off the ground afterwards, regardless of the outcome.

Or at the very least, have your arm around the strugglers offering support.

It’s a tip for Carlton captain Marc Murphy.

In recent weeks it’s been Patrick Cripps – touted as the next Blues skipper – who has walked the team off the ground.

Cripps has all the attributes of a natural leader. He is tough, proud, unrelenting, and plays his guts out every week.

The example he sets is one for his teammates to follow.

I have been in the fortunate position to appoint most of my captains at each club I’ve coached.
Joel Selwood is Mick’s standout captain in the AFL

Jimmy Edmond was the anointed leader at Footscray when I arrived and stayed in the position for a further two years before I moved fullback Rick Kennedy into the role.

It’s a tough position to captain from but we had a young team that needed experienced guidance.

Steve Malaxos led West Coast in my first season there, until I appointed a young, but highly credentialed John Worsfold who was my captain for eight years.

Collingwood had Nathan Buckley as its skipper, and he was a good leader.

But he needed to work on a few areas including his communication skills, which he did.

He was a fantastic leader for the next eight years.

Carlton was different. Chris Judd was in the twilight of his career and wanted to step away from the responsibilities of captain.

I had a choice of three to replace him.

Andrew Carazzo was the standout applicant, but unfortunately he was too often injured.
Trent Cotchin has grown to look far more comfortable in the skippers’ shoes, to the Tigers’ benefit.

A leader needs resilience so he can play alongside his teammates as often as possible.

Kade Simpson was also in the mix, but as a then 29-year-old who puts himself in a vulnerable position with the courageous way he plays each week, I wasn’t sure how much football he had left in him.

So I chose a young man who could grow into the position over the long term.

I knew that Marc Murphy would need a lot of assistance, but he wanted the job, and I thought we had time enough to work on it together.

Leadership can become a burden. At times you are ostracized, when you need to make decisions that can impact on friendships.

You are the focus of media and supporter attention.

And you have to keep your standards up, week in week out.

But captaincy doesn’t have to be a millstone around your neck.

And you don’t have to do it alone if you have the right support around you with capable deputies.

As coach you must also ease some of the burden because you need your captain to enjoy his leadership.

In Trent Cotchin’s early days as captain, every Richmond loss seemed to fall totally on his shoulders, and it weighed him down, effecting his form.

But he has grown through that period to look far more comfortable in the skippers’ shoes, to the Tigers’ benefit.
Mick is wondering if Travis Boak is currently feeling bogged down by the weight of responsibility.

I don't believe anything that comes out of this snakes mouth.
Could not be trusted and everything he did at our club was for his benefit not ours.
He picked murphy because of his timid personality and he was the easiest to manipulate and control.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:10 pm 
Wayne Johnston

So Mick always picks captains of his teams and prefers the ones who are tough and courageous but didn’t pick Kade because he was tough and courageous.

Is he blaming Murphy or is he apologising for making the wrong choice?

Mick made so many mistakes at Carlton and was himself clearly a mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

What a flower of a guy. Seriously idiotic person.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bugger off Mick.
I remember Murphy saying how he had a lot of dark days and this flog has to come out and say this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

It pains me to think MM did such a bad job at Carlton because he's in awe of the club and couldnt pull up his jaw from the floor when he was offered the job and the final coaching paycheck.
Gosh he [REDACTED] up at the worst time and at Carlton.
Makes me sick.

So he annointed Marc Murphy because Marc wanted the job and Juddy didn't.

and we've been floundering at the bottom since he coached us. He damaged the club.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Why would he admit he took 3rd best option?

Malthouse is seriously demented

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Why would he admit he took 3rd best option?

Malthouse is seriously demented

Desperation to stay, (be), relevant?

I wonder if Murphy played a role in shielding the players from MM's worst lunacy. (Another aspect of captaincy most of us would have absolutely no idea about from our side of the fence).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:59 am 
Geoff Southby

Yes we all know Malthouse is a dead shit

But our board appointed him

3 years 3 mill total abyss later.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 am 
Ken Hunter

Does the Herald Sun have an editor? Bugger me sideways: rogue apostrophes, "effected" where "affected" was called for, and a new paragraph for every @#$%&! sentence. Even if it wasn't Malthouse spouting his usual shit, that's a paddlin'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am 
Bruce Doull

keogh wrote:

Sad, but true.

Those wanting a return to "Old Carlton" need only look at that appointment to know why that should never happen again.

(Unfortunately I can't disagree with him on this though, Murph was a poor choice, among not many better choices)

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:07 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Donstuie wrote:
keogh wrote:

Sad, but true.

Those wanting a return to "Old Carlton" need only look at that appointment to know why that should never happen again.

(Unfortunately I can't disagree with him on this though, Murph was a poor choice, among not many better choices)

Murphy was HIS choice, so why is he blaming Murphy?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
keogh wrote:

Sad, but true.

Murphy was HIS choice, so why is he blaming Murphy?

Because he's a bitter, stubborn old prick who can't admit to his mistakes?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Donstuie wrote:
keogh wrote:

Sad, but true.

I don't think you can count the last 20 years as an old carlton.
Old carlton is pre 2000 then add some.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

redback wrote:
I don't think you can count the last 20 years as an old carlton.
Old carlton is pre 2000 then add some.

I'm talking about the "Old Carlton" way of thinking. That's what brought Malthouse to the club.

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next