Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Who should be our next Captain?
Patrick Cripps 62%  62%  [ 82 ]
Sam Docherty 14%  14%  [ 19 ]
Both 21%  21%  [ 28 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 132
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

To self congratulate I picked this in the voting back in May because I could not differentiate between them.

They are both outstanding albeit in different ways and will compliment each other beautifully.

And as a long time Murphy supporter I really hope he gets back to something like his best because we sure do need it.

Post subject: Re: Next Captain....?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Congrats boys...................but,can anybody tell me of any raging success dual captaincy stories ?

Why do we need to look to the past? Sure there's precedent but first time for everything at our club. Bring it on!
..... and the Swans... :lol:

Go Blues

So thats a grand total of one.
One premiership combination??....... Mmmmm, I'll take it.

Each contributes, each is a leader.... Ultimately the coach is the main leader, so I have no problem with dual Captains... Takes the laid off with all the AFL crap they have to do also...

Go Blues

Last edited by billc3 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

TheSwan wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Murphy but compare both players at the B and F. Cripps has so much more natural leadership and aura about him. The way he talks, his body language and his overall demeanor reminds of Kernahan. He just has IT.

Murphy doesn't. It is very rare though.

Yeah,Cripps is a standout in every way.A Sticks clone for sure...............our hierarchy couldn't see the obvious even though it was before there very eyes........thats scary.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Once upon a time there was an on field captain who would make lineup changes as he saw fit before the coach had the chance to send the runner out.
If Mitchell were racking them up he would shout to Ed Curnow to leave Isaac Smith and pick up Mitchell and maybe knock him about a bit in the process.
Nowadays, the captain is more an off and on field leader who is part of the broader leadership group and gets to toss the coin occasionally unless someone is having a milestone game. He might also be able to rouse up the boys during a stoppage or take a towering mark, kick a great goal or run someone down from behind to inspire his team but anybody else can do that. Mind you, sometimes I think it would be great if the on field captain made a positional change because we have all watched games and wished Harry the Blind miner was coaching the team because there is an obvious mis-match and the coach is (blindly) following his system, which is not working.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Good to see us bite back

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/10 ... 8317296641

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Different journeys for first Blues co-captains
Quote:
PATRICK Cripps and Sam Docherty have travelled different journeys to become the first pair of co-captains in Carlton's 154-year history.

In their own words, they are different people, with different personalities, who will bring different leadership elements to the role of Blues skipper from 2019 and beyond.

They do have a few things in common, however.

Having arrived at the club within a month of each other – Docherty via a trade from Brisbane in October 2013 and Cripps via the NAB AFL Draft that November – they have willed themselves through five of the toughest seasons in the club's history.

Throughout that difficult spell, the pair have clearly elevated themselves as the standouts within a promising bunch of young talent that has been to the well and is now ready to begin the long and arduous climb up the AFL ranks.

It was therefore no surprise that when the Carlton hierarchy met to discuss who would replace outgoing skipper Marc Murphy in the role of club captain, a joint-partnership between Cripps and Docherty was the conclusion they reached.

But while they might share a unique relationship with one another, both have a clear vision for what they want to achieve on and off the field at Ikon Park. And it starts with success.

"We both came to the club in the same year," Docherty told AFL.com.au.

"It was a pretty tough time and we've had to go through that together. In many ways, we've grown up together and we've had to lean on each other, being two of the younger guys who are actually left at the club from that time.

"We've gone through a range of emotions during that time together and I think that's brought our bond really close.

"We just trust each other and what we're trying to do at this footy club is completely aligned. I think that's a strong stance to start on."

On the field, Cripps is the bash and crash contested beast who has become one of the League's best inside ball winners over the last 12 months. Docherty, on the other hand, is the graceful half-back who sets up Carlton's forays forward methodically out of defence.

But while they're vastly different footballers, they're also quite dissimilar people.

While they're close mates off the park, neither are alike. But speak to those in the know at Ikon Park and that can only be a positive, with the Blues certain each will bring their own unique personality traits to the role of club captain throughout the next few years.

"It's hard to explain our different personalities," Cripps told AFL.com.au.

"We are different in ways, but we're also similar in a lot of other ways. One way that we are similar is that we're both really driven to get the best out of ourselves and we're driven by team success.

"I know working alongside 'Doc' that we're going to be relentless in what we expect from the guys. But, in saying that, the culture that we've already built around the club, it's a good group of lads who are really driven to work hard.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:44 pm 
Bob Chitty

Donstuie wrote:
Good to see us bite back

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/10 ... 8317296641

I do hope the club was somewhat more foresight about this bullshit behind closed doors.

If the afl produced that without the clubs knowledge that's a disgrace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6