Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Interchange From*
36 Pat Kerr
13 Jed Lamb
46 Matthew Wright
18 Aaron Mullett
32 Nick Graham
23 Jacob Weitering
37 Matt Shaw
1 Jack Silvagni

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Normal One wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
@#$%&! me.

Only in the AFL could you both win and lose an appeal on the same thing.

Anyways, for this week's team:

OUT: E. Curnow, J. Garlett
IN: M. Murphy, J. Silvagni - Jack to play Curnow's role as chief tackler.

Could be a good call on Silvagni.

i really like jack, and think he could be a real good mid. but he doesn't have the tank to play Ed's role for even 1 full quarter.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Effes wrote:
Interchange From*
36 Pat Kerr
13 Jed Lamb
46 Matthew Wright
18 Aaron Mullett
32 Nick Graham
23 Jacob Weitering
37 Matt Shaw
1 Jack Silvagni

so....

in: Murphy
out: Curnow

maybeeee Mullet for Weitering

If we drop Graham for Weitering we are idiots

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Geelong, Harry Taylor, Dangerfield and the media are happy, that's the main thing, we continue our great recent tradition of being sacrificial lambs. Everyone is happy in AFL land for another week
Not much commentary about S.May though, funny that. How is this joke of a sport even taken seriously anymore, it is totally compromised... how did it get to this? Wonder what the Chinese will make of the shitshow this week lol, they will probably just laugh at it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

buzzaaaah wrote:

Lower end of intentional, not aggressive.
Thank God they appealed, for the children's sake.

Based on these comments I am wondering what punishment Ed would have received if he had pleaded guilty on Tuesday to the original charge. They said that Hawkins would have received 2 weeks if he didnt plead guilty and Ed could not receive a reduction because he did not plead guilty. Ed got one week. So the question is if Ed pleaded guilty on Tuesday he would have got a fine?
I am confused.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

Big blow to our chances this week with Ed out. Our midfield is bereft of strong bodies and experience, he will leave a big hole. No way we would have won last week without him. Hopefully Murphy and/or Kennedy (in form) will cover the loss, but it would have been nice to add to what we had last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

I'm just glad we found some "consistency" with decisions. We now know where we stand with regards to umpires. There are just six easy to follow rules when it comes to touching umpires:

1- you can "consistently" head butt an umpire - but only if you play for Gold Coast - known from now on as the Steven May Rule 2018.

2- you can "consistently" charge at a blokes neck with your hip and get no penalty (potentially causing a neck or spinal injury) - but only if you play for the Swans - now known as the Swans/Good Blokes/We play finals every year/flagship team Rule 2018.

3- you can "consistently" touch an umpire as long as you were involved in a melee and "had other things on your mind" - Charlie Curnow Rule 2018

4- you can't "consistently" touch an umpire if done with "affection/treating umpires as humans" as it is "manifestly evident that a fine is insufficient" - Ed Curnow Rule 2018

5- you can "consistently" smash an umpire's hand away with aggression (if you play for Geelong) and get just a one week ban. (Tom Hawkins Rule 2018)

6- you can "consistently" push an umpire away from you with forcefulness (if your name is Greg Williams) and get a 9 week ban. (Greg Williams Rule 1997)

7- you can "consistently" "carelessly contact" an umpire if your name is Dustin Martin, David Swallow or Matt Crouch and receive a $1000 fine (April 2018 AFL Rule)

Yep, one can say consistency has been achieved. Thank you!

Wheezing Julian De Stoop on Fox Footy interviewed Geelong player
He states, "Do you feel a little bit more comfortable now with Tom's ban now that Ed has also been given a week" (Cause satisfying Geelong players is our aim)
Taylor "as a player what you want to see is consistency with decision making" certain things you can do and others you can't...

I think we have now achieved that consistency.

Andrew McKay
"All players need to be aware in this day and age, there has been contact with umpires through showing affection towards them, treating them as humans...now players have to be conscious of doing that."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
CARLTON Football Club has this evening accepted the AFL Appeal Board decision relating to both Ed and Charlie Curnow.

Head of Football Andrew McKay said the Club will accept, but is disappointed by, the decision to find Ed Curnow guilty of intentional contact with an umpire following last week’s game against Essendon* at the MCG.

“While the Club respects the process taken by the AFL, there is clearly a level of confusion around the AFL’s stance on contact with umpires, given the number of previous cases and discrepancies in sanctions over recent weeks,” McKay said.

“We feel there was a very reasonable jury at Tuesday’s AFL Tribunal hearing, which subsequently found Ed and Charlie guilty of careless contact.

“It is undisputed that the players made contact with the umpires. This was made clear by both players pleading guilty to careless contact, as opposed to intentional. We do believe the Tribunal jury acted reasonably to reach the correct outcome based on the evidence presented on Tuesday.

“Although it is a bittersweet result with Charlie free to play this weekend, we are clearly disappointed for Ed. However, we now accept the outcome and move on, with our focus on this Sunday’s game against Melbourne.”

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Weak

https://audioboom.com/posts/6859847-cai ... e=facebook

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
Mitch Cleary
‏Verified account @cleary_mitch

On whether Patrick Dangerfield should be making comment on the tribunal findings...

Carlton football boss Andrew McKay: “I don’t think I should comment on that, and neither should Patrick.”
5:03 PM - 17 May 2018

Drinks his own bath water, Patty? Great player however cant handle the way he strutts around the ground. Not to mention that stupid stunt last year trying to hide from the media, then the time he was using crutches only to throw them away. Patty wants it to be about Patty, massive ego.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue4ever wrote:
Effes wrote:
Mitch Cleary

On whether Patrick Dangerfield should be making comment on the tribunal findings...

Carlton football boss Andrew McKay: “I don’t think I should comment on that, and neither should Patrick.”

Drinks his own bath water, Patty? Great player however cant handle the way he strutts around the ground. Not to mention that stupid stunt last year trying to hide from the media, then the time he was using crutches only to throw them away. Patty wants it to be about Patty, massive ego.

It's all about him but he's no Brain Surgeon is our Patty. To say that Curnow vs the angry hit out by Hawkins were the same transgression shows an IQ somewhere south of 90 :screwy:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Won’t be attending this game this week.

I’ve written to Gil and told him my reasons why.

I’m sure the AFL will muddle along without me.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

no brownlow for ed?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wouldn't it be funny, that on the same day he commits an incident against the umpires that see him suspended, those same umpires give him 3 votes for 'best and fairest'...

In fact why don't the umpires immediately report someone for intentionally touching the umpire? would be on of the more obvious transgressions, I would have thought...

I reckon ultimately it will, like so many other AFL rules ('deliberate' OOB, Hands in the back for marking forwards, running through a zone, HTB, deliberate rushed) go through a phase and then relax into a more normal space...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Which AFL official is getting the Junket to head across to China? I hope May gets BOG and wins whatever bogus medal they strike for the marketing stunt. It would be awesome to see May shaking hands and getting a medal put around his neck by one of the AFLs top execs in the same week he got off with a fine and no appeal for touching an ump !! My prediction is that May has had his press schedule rejigged on the fly and somebody else will be doing the GCS pre match interviews now!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 am 
Rod Ashman

MIL wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
Effes wrote:
Mitch Cleary

It's all about him but he's no Brain Surgeon is our Patty. To say that Curnow vs the angry hit out by Hawkins were the same transgression shows an IQ somewhere south of 90 :screwy:

Agree with this comment
Paddy, different rules apply to him, good old boys & wonderful Geelong players. “Tom fronted up and handled himself incredibly well and then all of a sudden the next week the same thing happens and there is a change in jurisdiction. Seriously it’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Patrick- Hawkins advised plead guilty as he was guilty of hitting an umpires hand.
Did Curnow strike at an umpire’s hand- no!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 am 
Rod Ashman

MIL wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
Effes wrote:
Mitch Cleary

Agree with this comment
Paddy, different rules apply to him, good old boys & wonderful Geelong players. “Tom fronted up and handled himself incredibly well and then all of a sudden the next week the same thing happens and there is a change in jurisdiction. Seriously it’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Patrick- Hawkins advised plead guilty as he was guilty of hitting an umpires hand.
Did Curnow strike at an umpire’s hand- no!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:09 am 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

bluechampion wrote:
@#$%&! me.

Only in the AFL could you both win and lose an appeal on the same thing.

Anyways, for this week's team:

OUT: E. Curnow, J. Garlett
IN: M. Murphy, J. Silvagni - Jack to play Curnow's role as chief tackler.
Jack can't keep up

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny, that on the same day he commits an incident against the umpires that see him suspended, those same umpires give him 3 votes for 'best and fairest'...

In fact why don't the umpires immediately report someone for intentionally touching the umpire? would be on of the more obvious transgressions, I would have thought...

I reckon ultimately it will, like so many other AFL rules ('deliberate' OOB, Hands in the back for marking forwards, running through a zone, HTB, deliberate rushed) go through a phase and then relax into a more normal space...

You're a thinker AB.

Couple that with May given 3 votes by umpires in Shaghai.

What a tangled web the AFL weaves

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

2ndeffort wrote:
Which AFL official is getting the Junket to head across to China? I hope May gets BOG and wins whatever bogus medal they strike for the marketing stunt. It would be awesome to see May shaking hands and getting a medal put around his neck by one of the AFLs top execs in the same week he got off with a fine and no appeal for touching an ump !! My prediction is that May has had his press schedule rejigged on the fly and somebody else will be doing the GCS pre match interviews now!

2ndE you are 2 Steps ahead.

TC has some great contributors. Great stuff. Food for Thought.

I wonder what the Pre game captains interview will be like.

Slob I I of Foxtel show 360 would likely ask May if he deserves to be playing...maybe not.
Wheatley the Weasel would.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next