Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wojee wrote:
Blues21 wrote:
Essendon*** would challenge in the courts. Carlton simply bend over. Typical. The club just remains silent. Piss weak by Carlton as well.

Ummm......

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-0 ... s-appealed

Quote:
The Club is now currently considering the options available ahead of Thursday’s hearing.

What the @#$%&! does that even mean??

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

buzzaaaah wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blues21 wrote:
Essendon**** would challenge in the courts. Carlton simply bend over. Typical. The club just remains silent. Piss weak by Carlton as well.

Ummm......

Quote:
The Club is now currently considering the options available ahead of Thursday’s hearing.

Exactly what it says?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

what else can they say legitimately - what they should say is that like May if both were on a plane to China or in China AFL would not have appealed and this is a very arbitrary decision and typical of AFL fixer mentality

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
My tip: Charlie cleared again, Ed suspended

That is what I thought would happen last night. No way Charlie meant to touch the umpire, I doubt he even knew he had.
What a joke our game has become.
This was a witch hunt from the start. The media were almost wetting themselves when they discovered vision of the Charlie incident.
To not appeal the May one just is mind boggling. It is okay to head butt an umpire but not touch one however so slight.
I am confused as to why some players get fined for making accidental contact with umpires, as Cripps was on Saturday, but there is supposedly a difference between Charlie and the others.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

That is what I thought would happen last night. No way Charlie meant to touch the umpire, I doubt he even knew he had.
What a joke our game has become.
This was a witch hunt from the start. The media were almost wetting themselves when they discovered vision of the Charlie incident.
To not appeal the May one just is mind boggling. It is okay to head butt an umpire but not touch one however so slight.
I am confused as to why some players get fined for making accidental contact with umpires, as Cripps was on Saturday, but there is supposedly a difference between Charlie and the others.

Good point

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blues21 wrote:
Essendon***** would challenge in the courts. Carlton simply bend over. Typical. The club just remains silent. Piss weak by Carlton as well.

Ummm......

Quote:

Exactly what it says?

Well, there's only one option - defend the tribunal decision.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Given the ridiculous backlash I think they will both end up suspended.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

missnaut wrote:
Given the ridiculous backlash I think they will both end up suspended.

Media get outraged --> Public get confused and/or outraged --> AFL knee-jerk reaction.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blues21 wrote:
Essendon****** would challenge in the courts. Carlton simply bend over. Typical. The club just remains silent. Piss weak by Carlton as well.

Ummm......

Quote:

Exactly what it says?

Well, there's only one option - defend the tribunal decision.

What other options are they considering??
I hope that caving in isn't one.
Supreme Court injunction is one I would consider
Or hiring Mick Gatto to negotiate a good settlement

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

That's what my original view was.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blues21 wrote:
Essendon** would challenge in the courts. Carlton simply bend over. Typical. The club just remains silent. Piss weak by Carlton as well.

Oh yes. Fabulous club Essendon*
A lot to admire and emulate there.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Now that I have that over with, as an expert on law based on many years of TV and novels, I believe that a truly independent appeals body would uphold the tribunal verdict with little deliberation.

Quote:
Hocking said the AFL had appealed both of the financial sanctions on the grounds that:

no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it
the sanction imposed was manifestly inadequate.

The Appeals Tribunal doesn't have to think that the tribunal decision was correct, just that, given the evidence before them, the decision was reasonable.
I cannot see any way that the decision was not "reasonable". Doesn't have to be correct, just reasonable.
The charge was intentional contact with an umpire. The AFL lawyer would have to show that the evidence was so definite that Ed and Charlie deliberately contacted the umpire, there was no possible way a tribunal could find otherwise.
This is not a retrial. It's an examination on legal procedure.

If Curnows get suspended, legal challenge to the Supreme Court MUST be initiated.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

buzzaaaah wrote:

Now that I have that over with, as an expert on law based on many years of TV and novels, I believe that a truly independent appeals body would uphold the tribunal verdict with little deliberation.

Quote:
Hocking said the AFL had appealed both of the financial sanctions on the grounds that:

no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it

The Appeals Tribunal doesn't have to think that the tribunal decision was correct, just that, given the evidence before them, the decision was reasonable.
I cannot see any way that the decision was not "reasonable". Doesn't have to be correct, just reasonable.
The charge was intentional contact with an umpire. The AFL lawyer would have to show that the evidence was so definite that Ed and Charlie deliberately contacted the umpire, there was no possible way a tribunal could find otherwise.

If Curnows get suspended, legal challenge to the Supreme Court MUST be initiated.

That's how I see it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm 
formerly King Kenny

buzzaaaah wrote:

Quote:

How are they going to prove intent?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Coz otherwise da kidz will be sad

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Rexy wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:

Quote:

That's how I see it.

Yes, but his is the AFL.
No room for any common sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

the afl would only appeal if they know it's going to look good for them (ie get the fines overturned into suspensions), yeah?

with nic-nat's suspension and now this. along with all the shithouse rules and flooding within the game. the AFL is a real chore to follow right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm 
Horrie Clover

buzzaaaah wrote:

Quote:

Agree with you, we need a John Elliot approach to this, we have had a good week and we need to keep it going....

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

The media all agree in unison that they should be suspended, so they will all agree suspension follows. Media tells the AFL what to do even though both were incidental contact.

The only suspension that should come from the weekend is Sydney’s Luke Parker, but because he is a good old boy in an AFL flagship team (what a hero) he gets off.

10cms to the right and that Hawthorn player could have been a quadriplegic or have had a serious neck injury...but that’s ok it didn’t involve an umpire. The media dictate the furore and they have decided a player brushing past an umpire is worse than a potential spinal injury.

Jon Ralph has decided for us all that May & Parker should be ignored “due to the message it sends” though two Carlton players need to be suspended. You’re a hypocrite Jon.. May ok? “Not an easy answer” .. yeah he’s a Gold Coast player that’s the difference.

Consistent? Hawkins was facing his umpire and did it with anger, both Curnows weren’t even facing the umpire.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Adam Simpson got it right when interviewed on Fox.Why are the media universally so clueless? Because they like drama, that’s what.

“I’m not confused by the decision. In the end, suspension vs fine it’s still guilty.” Said Simpson.
In other words you can’t have “consistency” of decisions as some contact is more severe than others.
If someone breaks someone’s jaw that’s worth over 5 weeks, if someone brushes his chest- a fine. That is right that it isn’t “consistent”

Hawkins pushed away the umpire with just as much venom as Greg Williams, so if it is “consistent” Hawkins should have got 9 weeks suspension.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next