Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am 
Craig Bradley

Heavs wrote:
What is Aaron Mullett for if he can't kick 50m set shots? Didn't we get him in because of his excellent kicking, figuring it would make up for some other less than average qualities?

Not many AFL players can kick 50 metre set shots. Thought he was okay. I suspect sometimes the frustration at O'Shea gets unfairly spread to Mullett. He's had a couple of poor games, and been pretty reasonable in the others.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

My reasoning on Mullett is that I was happy we got him because he would give us outside run and quality delivery. I've been pretty disappointed with what he brings.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:51 pm 
Bert Deacon

Anyone else really wondering about Kennedy? I am assuming he isn’t anywhere near fit, cause if he is I think we may have made a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
What is Aaron Mullett for if he can't kick 50m set shots? Didn't we get him in because of his excellent kicking, figuring it would make up for some other less than average qualities? Boyfriend had a couple of chances for real team lifters last night and flubbed his lines again.

He's not the first guy to bullshit on his resume.

Heard of Dale Thomas?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Heavs wrote:
My reasoning on Mullett is that I was happy we got him because he would give us outside run and quality delivery. I've been pretty disappointed with what he brings.

You should not be disappointed by what Mullet is showing but why we ever recruited him. Given that he was dumped after many opportunities at North ... we knew exactly what we were getting. A 'C' grade footballer who probably would be an excellent player in the Northern Blues. Still a cut above most people playing football .. but not at AFL Level.
We have quite a few of them ... Mullet, O'Shea, Graham etc.

PLEASE ... no more C Graders from other teams.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
adelaide are a very good side, with a huge amount of depth with the right age group having the right amount of game experience ... they have a few injuries as well ... if they can get their heads right (a.k.a. get over the grand final loss of last year) they should be playing in a gf this year.

lets not underestimate just how good adeliade as i side is. they could easily go 2 gf's in a row. id suggest they played their worst game in two years against the tigers in the gf too, so we could very easily be talking about this side going back to back.

their first quarter was superb. just about the perfect quarter. one of the best exectued quarters of football i have seen for sometime.

i thought our second quarter was the best quarter of football we have played this year. we play like that for four quarters and we will win more games of footy than we lose.

its there. we have it, we just dont have the consistency from quarter to quarter let alone week in week out.

soem of the moves and players from dow/fisher/cripps where outstanding, mckay shows plenty in the forward line. Weitering is going to dominate the AFL, he jsut needs to believe. Hopefully he starts to build the confidence up (getting 17+ marks in the VFL should help)

its been an interesting process this year, but for the first time in a long time i feel like we have an actualy spine that we can build around.

weitering - marchbank - cripps - curnow - mckay thats 5 names that will play footy for 10 years! and now we have to build around that and we are.

i dont think its anywhere near as bad as the 0-7 sounds, but its going to be a tough year. Losing Docherty and Gibbs as hurt more than i thought it would.

Like your work Scott.............too lazy to come up with something myself but i reckon your summary is spot on.......................except i would like to add that you could exchange Kennedy with Jack.We seem to have a fascination with big midfielders at the moment..........Jack given time could fill this void.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Credit where it's due: I thought the commentary for the most part was very good last night (have only just watched the replay), not only in general play, but with all commentators complimenting Carlton on their overall effort on many an occasion.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
Heavs wrote:

You should not be disappointed by what Mullet is showing but why we ever recruited him. Given that he was dumped after many opportunities at North ... we knew exactly what we were getting. A 'C' grade footballer who probably would be an excellent player in the Northern Blues. Still a cut above most people playing football .. but not at AFL Level.
We have quite a few of them ... Mullet, O'Shea, Graham etc.

PLEASE ... no more C Graders from other teams.

yes.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

kezza wrote:
Wasn't home so haven't seen any of the game.
I saw on the AFL website the following heading for the match review.
"Depleted Crows crush Carlton."
Seriously? Depleted Crows?
Wow.

Yeah, apparently Carlton can’t use injuries as an excuse, but every other team can.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dominator_7 wrote:
kezza wrote:
Wasn't home so haven't seen any of the game.
I saw on the AFL website the following heading for the match review.
"Depleted Crows crush Carlton."
Seriously? Depleted Crows?
Wow.

Yeah, apparently Carlton can’t use injuries as an excuse, but every other team can.

I think rationale here is that, we have nothing to deplete.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:49 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
adelaide are a very good side, with a huge amount of depth with the right age group having the right amount of game experience ... they have a few injuries as well ... if they can get their heads right (a.k.a. get over the grand final loss of last year) they should be playing in a gf this year.

lets not underestimate just how good adeliade as i side is. they could easily go 2 gf's in a row. id suggest they played their worst game in two years against the tigers in the gf too, so we could very easily be talking about this side going back to back.

their first quarter was superb. just about the perfect quarter. one of the best exectued quarters of football i have seen for sometime.

i thought our second quarter was the best quarter of football we have played this year. we play like that for four quarters and we will win more games of footy than we lose.

its there. we have it, we just dont have the consistency from quarter to quarter let alone week in week out.

soem of the moves and players from dow/fisher/cripps where outstanding, mckay shows plenty in the forward line. Weitering is going to dominate the AFL, he jsut needs to believe. Hopefully he starts to build the confidence up (getting 17+ marks in the VFL should help)

its been an interesting process this year, but for the first time in a long time i feel like we have an actualy spine that we can build around.

weitering - marchbank - cripps - curnow - mckay thats 5 names that will play footy for 10 years! and now we have to build around that and we are.

i dont think its anywhere near as bad as the 0-7 sounds, but its going to be a tough year. Losing Docherty and Gibbs as hurt more than i thought it would.

Like your work Scott.............too lazy to come up with something myself but i reckon your summary is spot on.......................except i would like to add that you could exchange Kennedy with Jack.We seem to have a fascination with big midfielders at the moment..........Jack given time could fill this void.

I too like this summary. Fisher was impressive. The Crows are quality and Fisher showed quality. He can only improve which is a lot to look forward to. Its something I've always noticed about good players, they seem to have that nanosecond more time with the ball in hand than the average player. You know what I mean?
Big Harry up forward is what I'm excited about the most. How long has it been since we've had anything up forward? Fevola? Has it been that long? I think it has. At last a target up forward. Add Curnow to the mix, I'm very excited about our forward options at long last.

If things continue to suck for the rest of the season we might do even better at the draft and that should be the last top up we need to have a real crack at September action. Dare I say dynasty? ...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 pm 
Bob Chitty

Dominator_7 wrote:
Goal kicking us Crippa’s kriptonite.
Simmo has been a warrior, but his constant errors are killing us. The way things stand right now, if I had to choose, I’d rather Dale Thomas play on next year rather than Simmo.

I just watched game a day later, knowing the result.
Simmo directly created 5 goals for them through poor disposal.
And then he butchered a forward 50 entry that should have been a goal to us.
Get him to 302 and hopefully Willo will be ready to take his spot.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am 
Bob Chitty

BigGartos wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
Goal kicking us Crippa’s kriptonite.
Simmo has been a warrior, but his constant errors are killing us. The way things stand right now, if I had to choose, I’d rather Dale Thomas play on next year rather than Simmo.

I just watched game a day later, knowing the result.
Simmo directly created 5 goals for them through poor disposal.
And then he butchered a forward 50 entry that should have been a goal to us.
Get him to 302 and hopefully Willo will be ready to take his spot.

Yet predictably listed in several media spaces within carltons best. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 am 
Wayne Johnston

We are not really picking a balanced team. Can't really be expected to win with these line ups but i can see we need to get games into young players.

Need to get to the stage where we are not playing a second ruck. Chuck and H forward, K in the ruck, Jacob , Marchbank and maybe Jones/Rowe in defense. The rest angry onballer /flanker types that are fast and love taking the ball off the opposition .

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am 
Rod Ashman

club29 wrote:
We are not really picking a balanced team. Can't really be expected to win with these line ups but i can see we need to get games into young players.

Need to get to the stage where we are not playing a second ruck. Chuck and H forward, K in the ruck, Jacob , Marchbank and maybe Jones/Rowe in defense. The rest angry onballer /flanker types that are fast and love taking the ball off the opposition .

sorry club are you posting for the right afl club or were you concussed on the weekend :?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 pm 
John Nicholls

club29 wrote:

Our team selection is a real challenge at the moment given the injuries to players that would give us some run and carry. They are doing the best with what they have which is not much in terms of experience, skill or "angriness". It is what it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Just watched the replay of the second quarter.

Those who don't think Kennedy can play missed a lot of good stuff from him that quarter. The rest of the game he may have been off the pace but he didn't have much of a preseason so he is probably still getting his wind.
Simmo did some good things but that kick for goal from 50 that didn't make the distance was a poor option when he had a two on one situation twenty out.
Kreuzer got pinged trying to do too much. Not complaining about it but it was a wasted opportunity.
Graham had a bit of it.
Garlett was more intense.
Fisher was OK albeit a bit too cute.
Ed Curnow is a bull and will poll well in the B&F.
Cripps started to get a bit of the footy.

The home crowd definitely is an advantage in Adelaide. Cripps was held all game and the one time he put his arm over Greenwood's to block him he got pinged. I mentioned taggers elsewhere and the umpires have to be more aware of the holding on. I agree with the use of taggers to shut down the opposition players but blatantly holding them so they can't get to the contest is being ignored. Also, the amount of times the umpires paid marks that went less than two cut surfaces of the ground (5 metres each) was mind boggling. They ground is cut like that to help them with the 15 metre rule but they allow marks that travel eight metres and then let someone run 20 metres without calling it.

We got dome badly in the end but that second quarter shows that when they run and back up, they can play footy.

Add Murphy and maybe Lang to that midfield and it looks a lot better.

The ruck will be interesting next week. Phillips is good at the stoppages but he doesn't get a lot of it around the ground. Levi is out for a month. Harry probably isn't up to it so Phillips will stay unless they use Charlie.