Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

How do you think the rebuild is going?
Very happy - we’re getting most things in place 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Generally happy - right direction but have some concerns 64%  64%  [ 83 ]
Neutral - I have no idea like most of you 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Generally concerned - doesn’t look good 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Very unhappy - total @#$%&! up - the club is rooted 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 129
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The last few weeks have seen this board splinter a little.

Some of us think the club’s lost the plot regarding the rebuild and the direction we’re heading, some of us think we’re doing everything the way we should and some of us are in between.

The same arguments for both sides tend be be trotted out by the same keyboard warriors over and over.

I’m curious to know what the overall feeling is out there.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Generally happy - right direction but have some concerns

The Bolton era is the first time since the draft was introduced that Carlton has approached it with a solid plan that you can understand and back. Given it’s pretty much the Hawthorn model of 10+ years ago you couldn’t call it innovative, but we are taking a proven approach.

Of course, this approach takes time.

Most supporters understand this and are willing to be patient. I suggest there would be far fewer people unhappy and willing to keep their patience if this wasn’t our 23rd year without a flag; or our third or fourth attempt at a rebuild. We’re going to crack 25 years without success and that’s our longest drought. Nobody likes that. But we have to suck it up.

It’s equally understandable that people are losing their patience. They shouldn’t.

But, they will, because a lot of supporters have miserable attention spans.

We have an emerging list with a strong spine and good foundations. People say we have too many talls. No, we have too many talls who are young and inexperienced and not fully developed.

The holes in the list at the mid–senior end are not the fault of Bolton or Silvagni. Yet, they are being held accountable for that by many supporters. That said, neither of these guys are perfect, and I don’t think anyone would say they are. But they are the first guys to treat out list build with some intelligence. They may still get it wrong, but at least they’re approaching it like adults.

Our club has been so [REDACTED] up for so long on and off the field, yet some people are unable or unwilling to accept this. Further, they also find it difficult to understand that fixing things is not as simple as flicking a switch. Moreover, no matter how proven our approach might be, there is no guarantee of success.

Imagine that, haha.

Sometimes, a bit of perspective wouldn’t hurt.

:beer:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

I wish we were further ahead than what we are (and stopped getting @#$%&! injuries) and expected more at the start of the year.

But after the initial aggravation wore off over games I thought we should’ve won (GC in particular) I realised that this is what I signed up for.

I knew when the club reset itself that some dark and frustrating times would be ahead, and it would separate those who are fair dinkum about the full reno/rebuild and those who are just happy for us to not be the worst team around.

So overall, it’s disappointing but not surprising, and the absolute worst thing we can do right now is deviate from this path until it’s had a proper chance to bring results. IMO that time is next year, so ask me again then.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

its all about Carlton holding its nerve while supporters drop theirs all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We have young talent. The question will be whether they can produce it on a consistent basis. Docherty and Cripps do, Charlie and Zac will. Everyone else fluctuates at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am concerned
I have been before the rebuild even started - the club no longer has the ability to beat the system and we are looking at how others have doing it and copying them
I don't think this will work out as by the time we catch on the others will have moved on
The few things that have been happening that really concern me is that players request out and we cannot attract quality to the club - In days gone by this would never happen
I don't think the current administration know how to go about it - they are spooked by salary cap and letting players go that they shouldn't
I noticed on Game Day that Dangerfield is doing a fishing show - No doubt this will attract sponsors etc - Was this organized in the background as part of the enticement to get him to Geelong - Does it come under the cap. I doubt it
When Pratt enticed Judd they created a Visy ambassador role for him it was legal and creative - I can't think of one player at the moment that would have interests outside the cap and I don't think the Club is doing anything to entice this - Mitchel Leaves Swans for Hawks - Buddy Leaves Hawks for Swans - Danger leaves Crows for cats - they are not leaving cellar dwellers for a crack at success the clubs they were leaving have just as much chance as the ones they are going to - They are leaving for dollars and opportunity outside of football - The club needs the ability to offer that
At the end of 2014 we brought 13 players to the club - 3 years on one was still standing and that's because he had a second coming but has slipped back to his old ways
How could they get this so wrong ???
Now we are seeing players in the 2015 draft struggling
We need the clubs administrators to be creative and think outside the box - Carlton used to be the leader at the forefront of this now sadly we are way behind
They have put themselves in a situation where if this youth doesn't develop like those that have gone before them they will be in a world of pain for years to come -

I can see the talent in the youth but I could see this with Gibbs Murphy and Kruezer and this amounted to nothing - Unless they can develop this youth then the whole rebuild will be a waste .
Just because these kids excelled at their football HSC doesn't mean they will go on to be successful footballer for years to come unless they get the right guidance
Wietering Cunningham SPS are all currently struggling with form - Mackay has struggled to break into the side - 12 of the 13 from 2014 trade and draft gone

I don't think the rebuild is a total disaster but steps need to be taken to improve development and bring in experience to assist in this development

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i believe in the rebuild. it's the only way. I have all the patience in the world for that.

i'm not convinced we have the right coaching, and development at the club. several players have taken a backwards step while others seem to have stopped developing. Bolton continues to make questionable development decisions (swapping weitering from back, to forward to back again) and some of bolton's gameday decisions and his inability to swap and change on the day when things aren't working (like leaving jones back on an island on lynch, while weiters is playing like a blind & lost man up front Vs the GC).

the whole questionable loose zone where defensive players were guarding grass, not their opponent that we played for the first 4 rounds – when it never worked for whole quarter should have been abandoned sooner than what it was.

then there is the issue with scouting and the list. we're way too top heavy and the list is full of other club's discards & deadwood. In hindsight it would have been better to keep some of our own deadwood around. Buckley is a great example. He was inconsistent at afl level. but he had burst, outside run and he had a dip.

I'd much rather still be watching him (bringing an element of foot speed) than i would Mullet, Oshea, Lamb [insert any of the half dozen 1-speed plodders we've accumalated from other clubs who are also not up to afl footy].

year three into the rebuild, if we had the right coaching and development, I'd have expected us to at least be on pace to match last year's effort. we were in all but 2, maybe 3 of the entire games we played last season.

this year, we haven't been close to being in a game but more importantly, our level of play, the player's commitment and unity was far greater last year than it is this year. there is decline in other areas of our play - hand and foot skills, disposals, accuracy, efficiency and most noticeable of all. the players don't seem to knwo the gameplan and what is expected of them. at least from the sidelines that is how they're playing.

... all is not well with the club. The WAFL were terrible, our reserves are absolutely horrendous and the seniors are on pace to being the worst team ever in the AFL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm reasonably happy with the top end talent but it's clear SOS hasn't got the depth in positions he should have to cover for injuries. No mids or mid forwards to cover for the slightest injury toll. Looks delibearate to me.

Loaded up with kids and delisted HBF's and so we have to wear the pain this year.
There'll be another clean out this year and it will be fringe players, hopefully SOS will bring in nothing but mids. If he doesn't it means he wants another year of bouncing along the bottom.
I expected to finish around bottom 4 and was fully expecting losses but I wasn't expecting us to be so uncompetitive so early.

We've got another 3 years of pain just to get near winning 10-12 games a year and way off top 4.

Hopefully it's all worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Fantastic. Never heard any of these things discussed before. I'm learning something.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm 
Garry Crane

Watched F-All footy over the past few years so no idea really.

It seems the club has placed almost no importance or resources towards VFL level and that is concerning.

So I'm concerned with no idea. :hitcomputer:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Hope the media trolls take note of this poll result :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

35 out of 40 (87.5%) so far are positive or sitting on the fence. You wouldn't know it from reading the threads.

I suppose that's how media works in general - highlight the negative over and over again and eventually you have a negative.

I thought it might go 50/50 based on the threads but I honestly had no real idea what the result would be when I put up the poll.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

I expected good things after the JLT, I thought we looked sharp enough to win some games

I am now on the fence, I want to see the kids get games into them, but I would like to see a winning culture as well.

I am not burning my membership cap just yet (Its on the clothes line drying out the petrol after the GC game though)

Go Blues

G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

35 out of 40 (87.5%) so far are positive or sitting on the fence. You wouldn't know it from reading the threads.

I suppose that's how media works in general - highlight the negative over and over again and eventually you have a negative.

I thought it might go 50/50 based on the threads but I honestly had no real idea what the result would be when I put up the poll.

Very small sample - supporters tend to vote with their feet
Keep an eye on these numbers at present we are tracking better than last year - if they start to drop off over the coming weeks it will tell you what supporters think of the rebuild

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-carlton-blues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am ok with the strategy of a rebuild, but I’m concerned by the execution of it.

Also concerned by most people’s blind faith in Stephen Silvagni.

As far as I’m concerned some of his trading has been suspect to say the least.

In particular the Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner trade and the overpayment on Marchbank.

Although I’m am least concerned with Marchbank as a player out of all the players we have got from GWS - although I’m very concerned how he’s being injury managed - I think we’ve crushed him back far too quickly twice this season.

I’m concerned about our draft choices last year particularly O’Brien at 10 and De Konning at 30.

Our list was screaming for big bodied mids who accumulate the ball and both those players are neither.

De Koning may turn out to be a steal at thirty - but Geelong have another midfielder we could have used at Pick 36 (Constable).

We’ve traded away second round draft picks this year and are relying on Bulldogs to finish low (likely - phew) and Adelaide (unlikely) so instead of having 3 picks in the top 30 in a super draft we only have 2.

I’m also very concerned about our player development in particular SPS and Weitering who looked to have regressed this year.

I’m happy that we are rebuilding- but if we just have “blind faith” in SOS - then we may nt he in the best position possible at the end point.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:15 pm 
Ken Hands

I am the first to say that I have thrown my toys out of the cot with some of our losses this year , but we have to take our medicine (as bitter as it is ) for fifteen years of poor management and recruiting as it is the clubs own fault that we are in this mess, 3years after all the crap that we have been dealt up over the past we cannot expect it to be fixed quickly as much as we all want it to, I am sure there would have been coaches had they been approached to take over that would have run a mile instead of taking it on , so I think we should support bolts and co for having the courage and commitment to take on the huge task that it is to fix this whole footy club , it's times like this where we find the true supporters or the fair weather kind , I for one will stick with my beloved blues , I just hope like hell they get it right

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I am happy with the way it is going. We possibly could have held onto Touhy and not picked up one of Plow and Marchbank but that is neither here not there in the scheme of things. I dont for a minute think we will see results on the board for at least 3 more years and even then probably only where Melbourne are at now . I think after choosing not to do a mini reset after 2012 we were doomed to the mega reset we are embarking on now.

I just blame Malthouse and get on with life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

While many might be content, or at worst neutral about the current rebuild, all I'm sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted with the overall position in which the Club finds itself.

Dubious on and off-field management has occurred for far, far too long, which only naturally has led to the frequent negativity displayed.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

While many might be content, or at worst neutral about the current rebuild, all I'm sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted with the overall position in which the Club finds itself.

Dubious on and off-field management has occurred for far, far too long, which only naturally has led to the frequent negativity displayed.

Eight out of 62 have said they’re very happy and you convert that into “all I’m sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted”.

Ever thought about going into politics? :lol:

Mort Sahl