Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How do you think the rebuild is going?
Very happy - we’re getting most things in place 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Generally happy - right direction but have some concerns 64%  64%  [ 83 ]
Neutral - I have no idea like most of you 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Generally concerned - doesn’t look good 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Very unhappy - total @#$%&! up - the club is rooted 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 129
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Hope the media trolls take note of this poll result :thumbsup:

It's interesting.

35 out of 40 (87.5%) so far are positive or sitting on the fence. You wouldn't know it from reading the threads.

While many might be content, or at worst neutral about the current rebuild, all I'm sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted with the overall position in which the Club finds itself.

Dubious on and off-field management has occurred for far, far too long, which only naturally has led to the frequent negativity displayed.

Eight out of 62 have said they’re very happy and you convert that into “all I’m sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted”.

Ever thought about going into politics? :lol:
Put up a poll asking if members expected to be 0 and 6

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

35 out of 40 (87.5%) so far are positive or sitting on the fence. You wouldn't know it from reading the threads.

While many might be content, or at worst neutral about the current rebuild, all I'm sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted with the overall position in which the Club finds itself.

Dubious on and off-field management has occurred for far, far too long, which only naturally has led to the frequent negativity displayed.

Eight out of 62 have said they’re very happy and you convert that into “all I’m sure are totally disheartened, if not disgusted”.

Put up a poll asking if members expected to be 0 and 6

Put up your own poll you lazy [REDACTED]! :lol:

I actually expected us to have seven wins from our first six games so I’m extremely disappointed.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

GWS wrote:
bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

Ever thought about reading what I wrote?

Rebuild v overall position.

One might be appreciative of the fact that a rebuild is required, and even happy with how that rebuild is progressing, but not with where the Carlton Football Club still finds itself after lengthy periods in the wilderness.

Are you, yourself, not at least disheartened with where the Club still finds itself after so long?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good thread. Encourages a thoughtful reaction to the big picture strategy. Instead of just a venting because of our ladder position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Generally happy. I work in an industry where projects & jobs within projects often take longer than you, or those around you, initially thought they would. It happens & I believe it is better to produce a quality result over time than try to rush & churn out rubbish. So whilst I expected us to be tracking better this year, I can't be too critical.

I think one thing we get wrong as supporters is, over the offseason, we look at the list & think about how good that best 22 would look - but without knowing who will be out injured & the effect this has on the rest. We are simply not at a stage where we can cover an injury hole like the good clubs can.

I liked Bolton before he came to Carlton & I hoped we'd get him. Still a big fan.

Having said all that - in the short term this whole footy club desperately needs a win. Just to get the media off our backs & give the players a boost. Hopefully against the Dons or the Dees in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
bluedog wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

It's interesting.

Ever thought about reading what I wrote?

Rebuild v overall position.

One might be appreciative of the fact that a rebuild is required, and even happy with how that rebuild is progressing, but not with where the Carlton Football Club still finds itself after lengthy periods in the wilderness.

Are you, yourself, not at least disheartened with where the Club still finds itself after so long?

Fair enough.

I’m not disheartened though. In the end it’s a bunch of mostly below average intelligence blokes chasing a piece of leather around a field.

Once upon a time it meant a lot more to me but the game’s been taken over by the corporation and turned into a soap opera where every character gets their role to play in pursuit of an ever expanding audience. I’ll continue to follow the club but I find it difficult to invest real emotional energy in such a fabricated mess that the AFL now is.

There are other more important issues out there that could dishearten me.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 am 
Harry Vallence

Braithy wrote:
i believe in the rebuild. it's the only way. I have all the patience in the world for that.

i'm not convinced we have the right coaching, and development at the club. several players have taken a backwards step while others seem to have stopped developing. Bolton continues to make questionable development decisions (swapping weitering from back, to forward to back again) and some of bolton's gameday decisions and his inability to swap and change on the day when things aren't working (like leaving jones back on an island on lynch, while weiters is playing like a blind & lost man up front Vs the GC).

the whole questionable loose zone where defensive players were guarding grass, not their opponent that we played for the first 4 rounds – when it never worked for whole quarter should have been abandoned sooner than what it was.

then there is the issue with scouting and the list. we're way too top heavy and the list is full of other club's discards & deadwood. In hindsight it would have been better to keep some of our own deadwood around. Buckley is a great example. He was inconsistent at afl level. but he had burst, outside run and he had a dip.

I'd much rather still be watching him (bringing an element of foot speed) than i would Mullet, Oshea, Lamb [insert any of the half dozen 1-speed plodders we've accumalated from other clubs who are also not up to afl footy].

year three into the rebuild, if we had the right coaching and development, I'd have expected us to at least be on pace to match last year's effort. we were in all but 2, maybe 3 of the entire games we played last season.

this year, we haven't been close to being in a game but more importantly, our level of play, the player's commitment and unity was far greater last year than it is this year. there is decline in other areas of our play - hand and foot skills, disposals, accuracy, efficiency and most noticeable of all. the players don't seem to knwo the gameplan and what is expected of them. at least from the sidelines that is how they're playing.

... all is not well with the club. The WAFL were terrible, our reserves are absolutely horrendous and the seniors are on pace to being the worst team ever in the AFL.

great post, sums it up nicely to me

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:43 am 
Bruce Doull

The rebuild/reset is necessary and long overdue and I'm 100% behind following the process through unwaveringly.
I do think the club still struggles with player development and injury management though.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Generally happy. I work in an industry where projects & jobs within projects often take longer than you, or those around you, initially thought they would. It happens & I believe it is better to produce a quality result over time than try to rush & churn out rubbish. So whilst I expected us to be tracking better this year, I can't be too critical.

I think one thing we get wrong as supporters is, over the offseason, we look at the list & think about how good that best 22 would look - but without knowing who will be out injured & the effect this has on the rest. We are simply not at a stage where we can cover an injury hole like the good clubs can.

I liked Bolton before he came to Carlton & I hoped we'd get him. Still a big fan.

Having said all that - in the short term this whole footy club desperately needs a win. Just to get the media off our backs & give the players a boost. Hopefully against the Dons or the Dees in the next few weeks.

Brilliant analogy.
Brilliant Pot.
Can relate.

My preseason expectations have nothing to do with being realistic.
Nevertheless I can justify my pre season expectations, but that doesn't make me right nor reason to be disheartened with the club.
I put myself in that position.

Like everyone I wish we had a win or two on the board, but the club can't control injury or age.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don’t think many are “blindly” following the current regime, quite the contrary.

I think there’s healthy scepticism from even the most optimistic of us, even if we think this path is the one most likely to bring us success for the next 10+ years.

I still see a number of deficiencies at the club, both on and off the field (besides the obvious of not winning a game):
- Injury management, conditioning and communications
- Player development
- Quiet, “nice guy” leadership
- Basic skill errors
- Questionable MC decisions (too tall, too slow, why O’Shea? etc)
- Questionable “senior” picks (I was admittedly happy with Mullett as a DFA and too early to tell on Shaw as a rookie, but O’Shea with a PSD pick??) to hide the gulf still left behind by our pre-2015 drafting.
- WTF happened to our AFLW and VFL teams??
- WTF was Trigg sakced??
- Where has Liddle been since his coronation?
- Except Judd, where are the CFC people in da meedya?
- Supporter engagement still seems reactive and flat (although winning games would undoubtedly make it more exciting)

Some of these relate to Bolton, others don’t. But the fact is that as a club we still are a LONG way off being the professional outfit we want to be.

Kicking out a coach and abandoning a strategy before its had a proper chance for success or failure won’t change this, and if anything will put us back further.

I don’t blindly follow the club and this strategy, but right now it’s by far the best option we’ve got.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

yeah, 'blindly' was a really poor choice of words. i'm pretty much on the same page as all of that, that you state. turfing bolton wouldn't guarantee anything either.

i think if we go 0-11 he's really going to struggle to hold his job. but that's a long, long way off. I guess we watch and wait over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:
yeah, 'blindly' was a really poor choice of words. i'm pretty much on the same page as all of that, that you state. turfing bolton wouldn't guarantee anything either.

i think if we go 0-11 he's really going to struggle to hold his job. but that's a long, long way off. I guess we watch and wait over the next few weeks.

He doesn't need to lose his job, he needs to adjust.
A lot of things need to be recalculated and revised going forward.
He’s a young coach but he also needs to learn that plans need to be adjusted and updated continuously. He is dealing with a multitude of different people and not robots. For now he needs to go back to basics, skill, tackling, fun. Get them out running, kicking and just make them feel comfortable and connecting with each other. Release some stress and the enjoyment, skillset and teamwork return in a hurry.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Am I the only member here left from the 2002 group? cause I swear on my memory, that at the end of 2002, we were talking about a full rebuild after finishing Last and having to clean up half of the playing List!!

I have never seen a Club in Rebuild for 16 years..... Its been a stuff up after stuff up.... year after year.... Coach after Coach......

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:47 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I think the problem is the definition of rebuild, the entire club needs a rebuild from the board to the administration to the coaches, playing list, right down to the structure of the VFL team.

Merely rebuilding the playing list will not be enough IMHO. Our rebuild,is only addressing about 40% of what it should be covering. That is the real issue.

The problems with the AFLW team are proof that we need need to address more than the AFL playing list and that the issues are much more systemic.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think later this year we'll improve, injured players will return and the group will get used to each other and the game plan etc.

It's certainly been hard to watch so far though.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

I went for the neutral option. The rebuild is necessary but the number of players who have plateaued or gone backwards is concerning - you expect ups and downs with youngsters though so I guess we won't know for another couple of years whether our player development is as poor as it seems right now. I don't share the same faith in the draft as most so my optimism is likewise more limited than others'.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Its a loaded poll
Questions are worse than John Howards republican poll.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Its a loaded poll
Questions are worse than John Howards republican poll.

There was only one question.

There were five answers.

Pay attention Syd.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
The rebuild is necessary but the number of players who have plateaued or gone backwards is concerning - you expect ups and downs with youngsters though so I guess we won't know for another couple of years whether our player development is as poor as it seems right now. I don't share the same faith in the draft as most so my optimism is likewise more limited than others'.

Players who have gone backwards? Let's look at the players to earn Rising star votes last year.

Andrew McGrath- Far more inconsistent than last year
Ryan Burton- Dropped to the VFL
Sam Powell Pepper- External problems but not playing the footy he was last year
Charlie Curnow- Slightly improved
Eric Hipwood - struggling
SPS- stagnated
Lewis Melican- Mostly injured
Tom Phillips - Improved but still a very average player. Lets remember he is the best part of 12 months older or more than the others.
Perhaps that's part of the answer. With age comes improved consistency.

It looks to me most of the young players have stagnated or gone backwards. Inconsistency is the only constant.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
The rebuild is necessary but the number of players who have plateaued or gone backwards is concerning - you expect ups and downs with youngsters though so I guess we won't know for another couple of years whether our player development is as poor as it seems right now. I don't share the same faith in the draft as most so my optimism is likewise more limited than others'.

Players who have gone backwards? Let's look at the players to earn Rising star votes last year.

Andrew McGrath- Far more inconsistent than last year
Ryan Burton- Dropped to the VFL
Sam Powell Pepper- External problems but not playing the footy he was last year
Charlie Curnow- Slightly improved
Eric Hipwood - struggling
SPS- stagnated
Lewis Melican- Mostly injured
Tom Phillips - Improved but still a very average player. Lets remember he is the best part of 12 months older or more than the others.
Perhaps that's part of the answer. With age comes improved consistency.

It looks to me most of the young players have stagnated or gone backwards. Inconsistency is the only constant.

Come on Blue Vain, your better than dredging material off Kevin Bartlett and Terry Wallace.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next