Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

How do you think the rebuild is going?
Very happy - we’re getting most things in place 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Generally happy - right direction but have some concerns 64%  64%  [ 83 ]
Neutral - I have no idea like most of you 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Generally concerned - doesn’t look good 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Very unhappy - total @#$%&! up - the club is rooted 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 129
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 am 
Ken Hunter

because Facebook is a brilliant place for uncovering the truth

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 am 
Bob Chitty

Braithy wrote:
i think we (TC) make up a small % here of the 50k members and everyone else who supports cfc.

the CFC facebook page reveals it's 95% negative comments and ppl calling for Bolton's head and the board to be replaced. this is where the media feeds on the whole idea we're over the rebuild.

The Richmond Facebook page was probably the same the year before they won the flag. I'm not sure Facebook (or here) will ever be a true representation. The happy content supporters probably don't frequent Facebook or here. Maybe Syd Blue is right. We vote with our feet at games and numbers are up.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crippa wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Hope the media trolls take note of this poll result :thumbsup:

It's interesting.

35 out of 40 (87.5%) so far are positive or sitting on the fence. You wouldn't know it from reading the threads.

I suppose that's how media works in general - highlight the negative over and over again and eventually you have a negative.

I thought it might go 50/50 based on the threads but I honestly had no real idea what the result would be when I put up the poll.

Very small sample - supporters tend to vote with their feet
Keep an eye on these numbers at present we are tracking better than last year - if they start to drop off over the coming weeks it will tell you what supporters think of the rebuild

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-carlton-blues

So Sydney Blue does the fact "at present we are tracking better than last year" tell you even at 0-6 what the supporters currently think of the rebuild?

I.e. That the supporters disagree with you?

Ps: in my opinion the stat isn't actually a good way to judge but acknowledge that you do believe it's a good way to judge it.

I said keep an eye on them - check these at end of year
and yes people vote with their feet - if they can see there is hope and a future they will go to watch - if they are disillusioned then they will find other things to do

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Whilst looking on from afar for most of this season, as a supporter I have little motivation to watch our blues, how quickly hopes for the season are dashed. Until we have a win, I believe we have to draw a line through our season, so far. Valiant effort are encouraging, a close lose puts us closer to a win, but I wold like the coach to not throw out his game plan but embrace some old home truths, just try to inspire the team with something that has held the test of time, spirit and determined efforts.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

I would've liked to have seen SOS around when Ratten was here. Things might've been different. But seeing he wasn't we move on to our rebuild.

We have recruited pretty well, for the first time getting picks right after the no-brainers of the top few picks. That, on top of smart trading, free agency picks at the right time, is what builds depth and wins flags. So we are so far on the right track with the picks.

Not totally convinced by the coaching, that doesn't mean i'm totally unconvinced either yet. We did a good job the first couple of years building of defensive mechanisms but taking the next step seems to be an issue, at least at the moment. We do have a rotten injury list though to be fair. Match Committee though continues to pick totally the wrong side for modern footy, and on-field we seem to have no clue how to play the modern game, the latter coming down to coaching. Bulldogs took us for suckers last week with their smaller side. Not sure at this stage if Bolton with be the "Brendan McCartney" of the Bulldogs, building the side before Beveridge took over and won the flag, or he'll be the man himself. i'm fearing the former but time will tell. It did happen at the Dogs very quickly. Rebuilding one minute, next minute premiers so things can change fast. They were below us in 2014. With the injuries I don't to surpass last years wins (although we did lead 7 times in the last qtr and lost), due to our injury list but if we end up on 0-3 wins then they'll be issues and ramifications. 5, or even 4 wins at a stretch, will be ok for this year only given the circumstances.

Now we are on the right track with our drafting, the next important stage that will move us through the ranks very quicking is the timing of shrewd trading and picking up some very good free agents. That way you have some cream at the top, some class developing with kids and hence some depth. That's when it suddenly all happens very quickly. Get that right, have a good culture, and other clubs show you can stay on top for a long, long time. Back when Ratten was coach we had some real cream at the top but were crap at the bottom due to that dud recruiter Wayne Hughes. That hamstrung us when we should've been on track for a flag. In the 2011 semi-final we had 8 players in the side that had come off the rookie list, not to mention having the likes of Davies in the side. This time hopefully we get/develop some cream and are also strong at the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

jim wrote:
I would've liked to have seen SOS around when Ratten was here. Things might've been different. But seeing he wasn't we move on to our rebuild.

We have recruited pretty well, for the first time getting picks right after the no-brainers of the top few picks. That, on top of smart trading, free agency picks at the right time, is what builds depth and wins flags. So we are so far on the right track with the picks.

Not totally convinced by the coaching, that doesn't mean i'm totally unconvinced either yet. We did a good job the first couple of years building of defensive mechanisms but taking the next step seems to be an issue, at least at the moment. We do have a rotten injury list though to be fair. Match Committee though continues to pick totally the wrong side for modern footy, and on-field we seem to have no clue how to play the modern game, the latter coming down to coaching. Bulldogs took us for suckers last week with their smaller side. Not sure at this stage if Bolton with be the "Brendan McCartney" of the Bulldogs, building the side before Beveridge took over and won the flag, or he'll be the man himself. i'm fearing the former but time will tell. It did happen at the Dogs very quickly. Rebuilding one minute, next minute premiers so things can change fast. They were below us in 2014. With the injuries I don't to surpass last years wins (although we did lead 7 times in the last qtr and lost), due to our injury list but if we end up on 0-3 wins then they'll be issues and ramifications. 5, or even 4 wins at a stretch, will be ok for this year only given the circumstances.

Now we are on the right track with our drafting, the next important stage that will move us through the ranks very quicking is the timing of shrewd trading and picking up some very good free agents. That way you have some cream at the top, some class developing with kids and hence some depth. That's when it suddenly all happens very quickly. Get that right, have a good culture, and other clubs show you can stay on top for a long, long time. Back when Ratten was coach we had some real cream at the top but were crap at the bottom due to that dud recruiter Wayne Hughes. That hamstrung us when we should've been on track for a flag. In the 2011 semi-final we had 8 players in the side that had come off the rookie list, not to mention having the likes of Davies in the side. This time hopefully we get/develop some cream and are also strong at the bottom.

Can’t argue with this, we have to separate drafting, development, selection and results.
We have issues with all but they cannot be piled up in one category.
Drafting cannot be improved again for another year so we can whinge about that forever but it won’t change for now.
The other three I believe is the responsibility of the head coach and he is accountable.
Bolton is only a young coach and is coming from a long way back so he needs to be cut some slack but he also needs to improve certain areas for us to go forward and grow. Pressure is growing as it should but he but any talk of any sacking is uncalled for but at the very least he does need to make adjustments and increase the groups effort and output for now.
He needs to improve our structure and game style so we have a cohesive, smooth and free flowing link to attack. This slow stop start way long bomb style of playing is the highlight of our problems and needs to change. Our players are forever caught out of position both way and easy to defend. We have big body forwards and he isn’t using them right. Either pick a different team or play a different way.
Whatever he does he needs to do it soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

List rebuild is going ok but we need all midfielders this offseason

Team and player development is not going ok, neither is the spirit or enthusiasm of the group

Off field rebuild not really going all that well either

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.