Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Murphy would have been on the ground pleading for a free

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Crippa has indirectly layed it on the line to Murph with yesterdays display. It had to happen. Nowhere to hide Murph, everyones watching.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

grrofunger wrote:
Murphy would have been on the ground pleading for a free

100%.

Cripps was hiding his broken nose from the umps so he could stay on the field. #anzacspirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm 
Robert Walls

First q. McKay has the ball in space, with Casboult running towards goal, free of an opponent. McKay rushes the kick and puts out on the full.

First q. McKay makes too much of the shepherd and a regulation mark to Garlett in the forward 50 is instead handed over to the WC player.

First q. Casboult sensibly passes to a player in a better position to have a shot on goal, O'Shea inexplicably drops the mark and shits his pants as he tries to recover.

That's three guaranteed shots on goal missed. (They may not have ended up being goals, but they were certain shots on goal.)

2nd q. SPS is unsure of his options in the defensive 50, and telegraphs that he's going to pass to another player who is basically alongside of him, only 20 meters away. Gaff swoops in and the turnover results in a goal.

3rd q. Jones tries to switch the play and, under medium pressure, Plowman double-grabs the mark. The ball is spilt and Gaff kicks an easy goal.

4th q. Plowman, for some bloody reason, grabs LeCras after he's done a fairly decent job of making a contest. Free kick, goal to WC.

That's three goals they kick due to silly errors on our part.

I'm not having a go at any one player (except O'Shea - he's rubbish), but in a game that's decided by 10 points, these moments add up.

Last edited by bluechampion on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Crippa thrives in the trenches. Loves the responsibility. The grittier the contest the better he likes it. He's our Hodge or Selwood, only tougher and more honest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
Crippa thrives in the trenches. Loves the responsibility. The grittier the contest the better he likes it. He's our Hodge or Selwood, only not a sniper or cheat.
EFA

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:
Note the experience thrown in to the backline and the young mid / fwd...

Defence largely: Simmo, Jones, Rowe, Mullett, Thomas (large stretches), Plowman...

Yes, we got the balance right. Of experience and youth. Of equal importance we got the right spirit. All of those players had a hunger to win the ball. I honestly do not want Murph back until he is able to perform at or near his best both mentally and physically. I'm starting to see how much an inspired Captain can lift a team. I swear there was a moment when Cripps bursting out of the centre morphed into Judd.
When I see that plus Charlie plus Mc.Kay..then Dow and Fisher ...I can't help but renew my patience.
The other one who needs to renew mentally is Weitering. As a club we should be able to bring out the absolute best in all types of players. Especially our introverts. If they aren't improving we should look at the support staff in both psychologists and also the teaching style of our line coaches. It may be that the coaches need training in how to relate to different personality types.

This is why Murphy being captain does my head in so much.

People need leaders. They look to them for inspiration. Having a weak one isn’t just a case of missing out on having a strong one, you’re actually creating a negative effect where the players look to their captain and get nothing back. That’s completely dispiriting!

Making an introvert captain is one of the dumbest things this club has ever done. I can’t think of a single instance where it’s worked.

Cripps would be fine but I still want Doc. The club needs an injection of intelligence and he’s comfortably the smartest bloke on the list.

I reckon Sticks is as thick as two short planks but he made a pretty good captain. Give it to Cripps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pros:
Rowe - provided some much needed solidity in defence - l'm happy for the guy who's had a few challenges over the years and provided support for Jones who seemed to relish it
Cripps - showed what being a captain is all about
Fisher - followed his captain and has passed his buddy SPS in application, persistance, desire and willingness for the contest
DOW & LOB - put in a good shift for 18 year olds.
Phillips - did a more than reasonable job in the ruck and enjoyed his aggressive approach.

Cons:
O'Shea - a very good VFL footballer
SPS - showing too much flair at inopportune times. Just needs to get the balance right
Plowman - lack of speed/mobility may ultimately undo his progression

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:08 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does O'Shea remind anyone a bit of Simon White?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

White is a far better kick than O’Shea, but that’s not a huge compliment

Not sure if its been mentioned but does Simon White look like Manu (the french chef)?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Waddell wrote:
Pros:
Rowe - provided some much needed solidity in defence - l'm happy for the guy who's had a few challenges over the years and provided support for Jones who seemed to relish it
Cripps - showed what being a captain is all about
Fisher - followed his captain and has passed his buddy SPS in application, persistance, desire and willingness for the contest
DOW & LOB - put in a good shift for 18 year olds.
Phillips - did a more than reasonable job in the ruck and enjoyed his aggressive approach.

Cons:
O'Shea - a very good VFL footballer
SPS - showing too much flair at inopportune times. Just needs to get the balance right
Plowman - lack of speed/mobility may ultimately undo his progression

You're a very kind and decent human being, Rod.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

daggs001 wrote:
GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:
Note the experience thrown in to the backline and the young mid / fwd...

Defence largely: Simmo, Jones, Rowe, Mullett, Thomas (large stretches), Plowman...

Yes, we got the balance right. Of experience and youth. Of equal importance we got the right spirit. All of those players had a hunger to win the ball. I honestly do not want Murph back until he is able to perform at or near his best both mentally and physically. I'm starting to see how much an inspired Captain can lift a team. I swear there was a moment when Cripps bursting out of the centre morphed into Judd.
When I see that plus Charlie plus Mc.Kay..then Dow and Fisher ...I can't help but renew my patience.
The other one who needs to renew mentally is Weitering. As a club we should be able to bring out the absolute best in all types of players. Especially our introverts. If they aren't improving we should look at the support staff in both psychologists and also the teaching style of our line coaches. It may be that the coaches need training in how to relate to different personality types.

This is why Murphy being captain does my head in so much.

People need leaders. They look to them for inspiration. Having a weak one isn’t just a case of missing out on having a strong one, you’re actually creating a negative effect where the players look to their captain and get nothing back. That’s completely dispiriting!

Making an introvert captain is one of the dumbest things this club has ever done. I can’t think of a single instance where it’s worked.

Cripps would be fine but I still want Doc. The club needs an injection of intelligence and he’s comfortably the smartest bloke on the list.

I reckon Sticks is as thick as two short planks but he made a pretty good captain. Give it to Cripps.

I’m not sure why the length of the planks is relevant to their thickness. I suppose should they indeed be short (relatively speaking) they may indeed appear thicker but essentially their thickness is their thickness.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 am 
Ken Hands

Very rare that I watch the replay when we lose but I did last night.

Those last two goals by McKay ...

Also it has become much more obvious that on-field leadership needs a review.

By all means save face for the incumbent, but we need the change.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

smithy wrote:
Fisher is the real support for Cripps and complements him perfectly. 15 contested possessions from him, don't need a huge body to be a good inside player.
SPS not his best game but he'll get better and better as the team around him does.
McKay should not be dropped anymore unless he really needs a spell, Essendon** put up with 40-50 shit games from Daniher, invest in the youth. This is what we need to learn.
You don't recruit kids and then play spuds like O'Shea Mullet Lamb in front of them.
Give Plowman a rocket and tell him to pull his finger out. Play SOS at half back, there really is no excuse for playing Mullet and O'Shea don't fu#### care how many injuries we have.
Really good signs from Dow and O'Brien.
Credit where credit is due, Thomas played a good game...given that he's been a liability mostly for 4 years he'd fu### want to as well.

Agree with all of that. I thought O'Shea was the Eagles best player, fair dinkum how many times can a bloke turn the ball over or make the most basic of mistakes? I wonder what the difference week to week in Harry being ready was. One week he's not ready then the next week he is. Was it as simple as Fraser saying to Bolton 'He's ready'. Seems like it to me. Plowman has been ordinary all season. This bloke was a number 3 pick and has made some awful basic mistakes. I really hope he makes it but not sure, cant wait until Marchbank and cousin of SOS are fit again. Alex Silvagni has been a huge loss to the backline.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Maybe JSOS could be trialed in Plows position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Hawkeye wrote:
smithy wrote:
Fisher is the real support for Cripps and complements him perfectly. 15 contested possessions from him, don't need a huge body to be a good inside player.
SPS not his best game but he'll get better and better as the team around him does.
McKay should not be dropped anymore unless he really needs a spell, Essendon*** put up with 40-50 shit games from Daniher, invest in the youth. This is what we need to learn.
You don't recruit kids and then play spuds like O'Shea Mullet Lamb in front of them.
Give Plowman a rocket and tell him to pull his finger out. Play SOS at half back, there really is no excuse for playing Mullet and O'Shea don't fu#### care how many injuries we have.
Credit where credit is due, Thomas played a good game...given that he's been a liability mostly for 4 years he'd fu### want to as well.

Agree with all of that. I thought O'Shea was the Eagles best player, fair dinkum how many times can a bloke turn the ball over or make the most basic of mistakes? I wonder what the difference week to week in Harry being ready was. One week he's not ready then the next week he is. Was it as simple as Fraser saying to Bolton 'He's ready'. Seems like it to me. Plowman has been ordinary all season. This bloke was a number 3 pick and has made some awful basic mistakes.

How many goals has he conceded this year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'd give Plow a bit more time to get those brain fades out of his game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
smithy wrote:
McKay should not be dropped anymore unless he really needs a spell, Essendon**** put up with 40-50 shit games from Daniher, invest in the youth. This is what we need to learn.

Agree with all of that. I thought O'Shea was the Eagles best player, fair dinkum how many times can a bloke turn the ball over or make the most basic of mistakes? I wonder what the difference week to week in Harry being ready was. One week he's not ready then the next week he is. Was it as simple as Fraser saying to Bolton 'He's ready'. Seems like it to me. Plowman has been ordinary all season. This bloke was a number 3 pick and has made some awful basic mistakes.

How many goals has he conceded this year?

Well there's 2 on Saturday. Cannot confirm year to date.

Irrespective and BV you would agree he has not been as assured as in previous years. His lack of mobility worries me and it appears he's slower this year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

He made one bad error Saturday but he's not on his own there. There were plenty of other dropped marks, its just his was in the worst possible spot and cost a goal.
IIRC, he played on a bloke who was 6th in the AFL for goals scored this season, 3rd for contested marks and 3rd for marks inside 50. He kept him to 1 contested mark, 1 inside 50 mark and zero goals.
He's actually defended very well this year. Conceded very few goals.

Yes he makes frustrating mistakes but he's probably our best "defensive" backman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
He made one bad error Saturday but he's not on his own there. There were plenty of other dropped marks, its just his was in the worst possible spot and cost a goal.
IIRC, he played on a bloke who was 6th in the AFL for goals scored this season, 3rd for contested marks and 3rd for marks inside 50. He kept him to 1 contested mark, 1 inside 50 mark and zero goals.

Yes he makes frustrating mistakes but he's probably our best "defensive" backman.

What he said!

Get off Plows back he's a 250 game and will be a brilliant clubman.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

What he said!

Get off Plows back he's a 250 game and will be a brilliant clubman.

Regards Cazzesman

Not on his back. I'm very patient. Plus he's a good Sacred Heart College boy!

BV whether he allows his direct opponent to goal or another forward/midfielder to goal......he cost us the goals.

Understand backmen are in vulnerable positions and mistakes are amplified but he's into his 6th year - needs to tidy up on the mistakes.

I certainly hope he reaches 250 games....we could do with as much continuity in the backline as we can get.

He'd be Simpsonesque if gets to 250.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next