Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Actually it worked with Michael Tuck but the teams he led had about fifteen natural leaders and he was more the elderly figurehead.

We don’t have that luxury.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:
Note the experience thrown in to the backline and the young mid / fwd...

Defence largely: Simmo, Jones, Rowe, Mullett, Thomas (large stretches), Plowman...

Yes, we got the balance right. Of experience and youth. Of equal importance we got the right spirit. All of those players had a hunger to win the ball. I honestly do not want Murph back until he is able to perform at or near his best both mentally and physically. I'm starting to see how much an inspired Captain can lift a team. I swear there was a moment when Cripps bursting out of the centre morphed into Judd.
When I see that plus Charlie plus Mc.Kay..then Dow and Fisher ...I can't help but renew my patience.
The other one who needs to renew mentally is Weitering. As a club we should be able to bring out the absolute best in all types of players. Especially our introverts. If they aren't improving we should look at the support staff in both psychologists and also the teaching style of our line coaches. It may be that the coaches need training in how to relate to different personality types.

This is why Murphy being captain does my head in so much.

People need leaders. They look to them for inspiration. Having a weak one isn’t just a case of missing out on having a strong one, you’re actually creating a negative effect where the players look to their captain and get nothing back. That’s completely dispiriting!

Making an introvert captain is one of the dumbest things this club has ever done. I can’t think of a single instance where it’s worked.

Cripps would be fine but I still want Doc. The club needs an injection of intelligence and he’s comfortably the smartest bloke on the list.

I am with you on Doch over cripps. say 3-5 years of Doch, and then Cripps. Agree with whover wrote that Cripps doesn't need all the distractions that come with that job yet. aking the players who they want is just dumb because they won't vote against Murph. Of course they won't!
it might actually help Murph not to be in that role too. I don't know... but he is capable of so much more than we are seeing from him onfield, and we must address this. Right now, he is not able to give his best as Captain, and really, he should step down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Lots to like. Things to not like so much. Plenty of scope.

Love this.

6 players with over 10 contested possessions, four from Carlton.

19 P Cripps (23 yo)
17 Yeo (24 yo)
15 Fisher (19 yo)
13 Gaff (25 yo)
11 C Curnow (21 yo)
11 Dow (18 yo)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

A new year and another year of people saying Casboult doesn't have a future.

That's about 5 years in a row now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cas is fine Cimm! (for mine anyways...but hey, I like Plowman too) :grin: :yikes:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
Right now, he is not able to give his best as Captain, and really, he should step down.

But that would take leadership.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Spirit. Intensity. Pressure. Will to compete.

How much better do we play when we bring these things. Should be prerequisites. Been severely lacking in recent weeks.

Much harder to play against this week. Well organised and much more cohesive.

Expected a shellacking so to legitimately be disappointed with losing I guess is a positive.

Just a shame we continue to invent ways of butchering our offensive oportunities. So frustrating.

We must bring this type of effort every week here on in. With our returning players, hopefully we can pinch some wins.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:18 am 
Vale 1953-2020

BigGartos wrote:
Liked Bolts presser: came out of his shell again and really clear about where we are at.
Helps that the players gave him a bit more this week.
Yep. And I liked his response on Harry. Had a go at trublu... :lol:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
Cas is fine Cimm! (for mine anyways...but hey, I like Plowman too) :grin: :yikes:

He made a couple of mistakes but I'd say Plowman is one of the first picked every week. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
Lots to like. Things to not like so much. Plenty of scope.

Love this.

6 players with over 10 contested possessions, four from Carlton.

19 P Cripps (23 yo)
17 Yeo (24 yo)
15 Fisher (19 yo)
13 Gaff (25 yo)
11 C Curnow (21 yo)
11 Dow (18 yo)
Time to dust off the old No 25 Jumper.....
(and it's not a Fev one :wink: )
Mind you, I doubt it will fit :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:25 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does O'Shea remind anyone a bit of Simon White?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:28 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Michael Jezz wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
jim wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Phillips was better than Kreuzer
Phillips will never be better than Krueuer. Just in while Kreuzer is injured. Liked his 6 tackles though so he did dig in.

Horses for courses, That was better against Naitanui than i remember Kruezer ever doing.

I do have a shit memory though.

I would rest Kreuzer against the big leaping rucks and play Phillips in those games.
Tonight was the beginning of the end of Casboult.
As soon as Kruez is fit it will be Phillips and Kruez
Harry showed Levi what kicking straight means
Levi is now history

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Totally Agree. Levi is on notice
???? Levi playing well and doing his job. Hell eventually retire at 33 or 34 after deteriorating a bit and playing 2 or 3 bad games in a row and you guys - and a couple or 3 (or 29) - will say "see? Told ya so". As they say in the classics.... :garthp:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Hornet wrote:
If there was ever any doubt Cripps should be captain...

Docherty?

Or no, because of where he plays?

Be happy with either but I’d go for Cripps. The fact he is an in and under mid and seems to inspire by his attack on the ball does it for me.

Murphy should never have been captain to begin with. Should have been Simmo or carrots back in 2013.

This is exactly what I have said to my friends regarding Murphy. Yes, he has great skills and can rack up posessions but he just doesn't have the presence or attack on the ball to inspire team mates as a captain. Always thought someone such as Simpson would be better. Now both Murphy and Simpson are getting older the club should look to its future and make someone young like Cripps captain like they did back with Kernahan. That would be acting proactively though, so I don't expect the board to even consider it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am 
Adrian Gallagher

bosman wrote:
Last time we were 0-5 was 1989 and Walls got the sack.....

While I don't think that giving Bolton the sack will be the answer, I really hated his midweek presser. Making jokes about how bad we have been and laughing off the many problems there by giving cliche answers, was to me frankly disrespectful. The coach should be at the forefront showing that poor performances won't be tolerated and that they won't hide behind excuses. You can bet your bottom dollar that neither Parkin or Barrassi would have made light of such a pathetic start to a season. But then again there are a lot of things that they wouldn't have done that coaches today are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Bluesman44 wrote:
bosman wrote:

While I don't think that giving Bolton the sack will be the answer, I really hated his midweek presser. Making jokes about how bad we have been and laughing off the many problems there by giving cliche answers, was to me frankly disrespectful. The coach should be at the forefront showing that poor performances won't be tolerated and that they won't hide behind excuses. You can bet your bottom dollar that neither Parkin or Barrassi would have made light of such a pathetic start to a season. But then again there are a lot of things that they wouldn't have done that coaches today are doing.

When did any of these occur?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:49 am 
Ken Hunter

I have been thinking about captaincy a bit... Really this is the piece that does my head in. I think it is obvious Murph is not a leader, not his fault, he just isn't. It is why I got angry a couple of weeks ago and mentioned respectign Essendon* more - my point was I feel like we are the only club who would have stuck with Murph for so long - so i have been asking myself why?

The only answer I can come up with is a symbolic one.

The moment they appoint a new captain (Doc or Cripps for mine) is the symbolic moment they will be saying we are ready to move ahead, to win, to climb upwards. Rather than appoint say Doc this year and have him captain a team that will still be shite as it continues to build experience and group-belonging into this list, they plan to define the moment when they feel they have the experience, the cohesion, the talent and now the work to significantly climb the ladder begins and they appoint the leader who will begin that next stage.

Or Murph has pictures....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Bluesman44 wrote:
bosman wrote:

Wank.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Sin City wrote:
Loved Dow's first quarter, taste of things to come. Play him all year and he'll be a star after another pre-season.

Harry McKay. Great to see his game.

Really encouraging signs from Curnow, LOB, Fisher.

Philips did some great things. His tackling and marking was very good. Happy to keep him in and give Kreuzer as long as he needs to get back to 100%.

Played a bit more (but not too much) defensive style this week, more physical pressure and intensity. Full credit to Bolton for realising a change was needed, we played a lot better as a result.

Depth is being tested with all these injuries but I'd really rather quite a few other blokes in over O'Shea. Struggling to see where Silvagni will fit while all of McKay, Curnow and Casboult are in the team.

I still think there's an AFL player in Kerridge. Gives everything for all four quarters.

SPS is feeling the lack of a decent pre-season I reckon. Will be a star though and he's getting good AFL experience.

For me, faith restored in the coach and most importantly it's another more AFL experience for Dow, LOB, SPS, Fisher, Curnow, Silvagni, McKay, Garlett.

Worth mentioning who wasn't available again too. Murphy, Docherty, Kreuzer, Marchbank, Weitering, Williamson, Kennedy, Lang, Byrne, Pickett. Will make a massive difference when we have those guys back.

Very good post.
Lots to like. Dow had some fantastic moments and Fisher is special. Some of his tackling should put the bigger bodies to shame.
O'Brien was better although he too often goes to ground when contact is approaching. Yesterday it cost us a couple of costly contests. Something small for the coaches to get out of his game.

With the players missing, it was a great effort. Well done to Bolts and co for sticking to the course.

Fisher IS special. May well be the draft steal by the age of 25

Rapt for Dow. I said he'd done SFA for the first 4 weeks but that's to be expected for an 18 year old. Amazing what happens when young kids are backed in for a block of games.

Which brings me to the highlighted bit. Bolts is staying the course but I'd challenge some course settings
1. O'Shea (more than Mullett) is taking up time and space for a Polson or Cunningham to be given the block of games I mentioned above. FFS, can we give Cunners 4-6 consecutive games???
2. While his disposals are up this year, SPS is being given an armchair ride by the MC. Needs confidence/form/reprogramming at NB level

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 am 
Craig Bradley

Just watching some highlights as I missed part of the game. we literally gave away a few goals through charitable donations. No doubt we should've won, just have to tidy up some areas and finish off qtrs. 8 out of their 10 goals came in time-on.

Essentially West Coast didn't "win" it, we lost it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:10 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Just an observation. The 2 games we've played quite well in, the opposition kicked LOTS of behinds.

Question for BV (and other footy experts). Does our effective game style (agst Richmond and WC) cause that inaccuracy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next