Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Tackling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am 
Bruce Doull

...is shit. We all know this.

But why is this?
- Lack of effort?
- Lack of strength?
- Poor positioning?
- Poor technique?

I'd be curious to hear from anyone with a fitness or strength conditioning background on why they think this area of our game is so poor, and how it could be improved.

#GUILTY

Post subject: Re: Tackling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Can't help Don, but I do recall the forward pressure Ratten created with the 3 Amigos...Skinny Garlett, Tiny Betts, and one shouldered Walker would make tackles stick, so I'd say there's question marks on technique, intent, intensity, determination, desire....could it be strength? The above,entwined 3 weren't big and strong.

WTF do they do in preseason?
Good technique should enable tackles to stick!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 am 
Bruce Doull

It has been for ages. I thought we might have turned the corner all those years ago when we brought Libba on board.

Tanks for nothing, Libba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yep, that was the vibe I got too

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Pretty simple really ... the majority of our players unfortuanately do not commit themselves to contests ... mentally weak and seemingly unwilling to put their bodies on the line ... but this is nothing new ... been happening for a long time

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am 
Harry Vallence

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018- ... p-jed-lamb

This says it all IMO

Listen (and read) at 2.20.

Yes Jed - you can commit your body to the contest!!

Why did this get published? Why isnt this used as a training tool in every meeting about tackling - show some intent Carlton and defend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Technique can be a problem. However, I put a lot of the issues down to lack of intent. It actually isn't that difficult to tackle someone who is flat footed or has only taken a couple of steps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm 
Craig Bradley

I thought it was better this week than the previous 3.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:26 pm 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

We're also not good enough, generally, to break the tackle. Those that aren't should really be about moving the ball on. Too many times last night we were caught.

HTB rule aside - I was very confused last night - we just don't distribute off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Last night we seemed to master our tactic of committing 3 players to the bloke with the ball, & not even catching him

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm 
Robert Walls

No need for tackling... We're on a journey.. With lots of fantastic opportunities..
We're all about growth
Can't focus on tackling while you are growing...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

A few years ago we had a Melbourne Storm Coach - I think his name was John Donohoe as a Skills Tackling Coach - and the media were criticizing us because our tackling technique was too severe and dangerous.

I'd rather have that than what we are dishing up now.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
A few years ago we had a Melbourne Storm Coach - I think his name was John Donohoe as a Skills Tackling Coach - and the media were criticizing us because our tackling technique was too severe and dangerous.

I'd rather have that than what we are dishing up now.

:thumbsup:

Spot on. I think other clubs used his services as well.... So we must have been onto a good thing.

I hope the masterminds running our footy department give him a call

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i know i'm a broken record here. but anyway... our first year under bolton was our best tackling year in a long long time. we were at the top of the league for tackles achieved and pressure acts committed. second year, we tailed off from the first year, but the difference was negligible.

and this season we are near the bottom in tackles, pressure acts and kilometres run per game. when these trends start to appear, it's often an indicator the coaching staff have lost the group. tacking is about want and desire and putting your body onto the line. turning up for your mate, and gut running bcos you believe it is for something. you believe in the plan and believe that plan will deliver wins.

we have tackling issues bcos players have possibly stopped believing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:
i know i'm a broken record here. but anyway... our first year under bolton was our best tackling year in a long long time. we were at the top of the league for tackles achieved and pressure acts committed. second year, we tailed off from the first year, but the difference was negligible.

and this season we are near the bottom in tackles, pressure acts and kilometres run per game. when these trends start to appear, it's often an indicator the coaching staff have lost the group. tacking is about want and desire and putting your body onto the line. turning up for your mate, and gut running bcos you believe it is for something. you believe in the plan and believe that plan will deliver wins.

we have tackling issues bcos players have possibly stopped believing.

Has our age and game experience numbers reduced in the same period?

Smaller bodies and less confident players generally don't crack in as much.

Having said that, we do seem to have recruited a lot of nice people. Richmond might be onto something when they've made it public that they won't recruit someone who doesn't tackle.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

While the players might be new to the afl, this is a game they've been playing their whole life. Tacking is not a new concept.

and simpson and fisher are two featherweights who rip in. so size isn't the biggest indictor. it's effort. tackling, running, pressure acts, the 1%'ers. It's all effort based, rather than skill based. and they're good indicators as to whether the players are buying what the coaching staff are selling.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
While the players might be new to the afl, this is a game they've been playing their whole life. Tacking is not a new concept.

and simpson and fisher are two featherweights who rip in. so size isn't the biggest indictor. it's effort. tackling, running, pressure acts, the 1%'ers. It's all effort based, rather than skill based. and they're good indicators as to whether the players are buying what the coaching staff are selling.

I like this post up to the highlighted bit.

Players have no excuse not tackling. Simmo and Fish are great examples. LeBois in the preseason seemed to like to stick a tackle too. Size shouldn't matter.

No one has any idea what the coaches are saying, and I like you a lot as a poster Braithy, always have, but saying things as if they are facts is where rumours start. It is not healthy or fair for the supporters nor the club.

You seem to have linked the tackling with all the other indicators and associate that with the coaches messages. A bit of a stretch don't you think?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:

Richmond are 1st on the ladder. They're 13th in the AFL for tackles.
West Coast are 2nd. They're 15th in the AFL for tackles. 16th for 1%ers. Are their players buying what the coaching staff are selling?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

Richmond are 1st on the ladder. They're 13th in the AFL for tackles.
West Coast are 2nd. They're 15th in the AFL for tackles. 16th for 1%ers. Are their players buying what the coaching staff are selling?

you don't need to tackle if you have the ball :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Ah, so the argument is only applicable when it suits