Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

scottopee wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Rowe for Jones, not just from a form perspective, but allow Weitering a bit more leeway to be the one who zones off more often. Beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Agree Rowe for Jones and at least he will play one on one. Apart from that it's time to get games into McKay.

Rowe isn't up to it just yet.
Give him a few weeks in the 2s

Lamb/Polson will probably come in for Graham. That will be the only change unfortunately I reckon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Phillips for Kreuzer. Rest him instead of attempting to "manage him"
I'd bring in Lamb for SOJ or Mullet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

redback wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Our forward entry numbers have been ok haven’t they ?

Just need to have a few forward target area options

Apparently, but that was the first few of weeks.
We need less forwards (or what i like to call yo yos) to score more.

I think half of our forward entries are actually the opposition switching play

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

DesEnglish wrote:
redback wrote:
Rexy wrote:

:lol:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

Hehe

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
redback wrote:
Rexy wrote:

:lol:

+1

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm 
Ken Hands

I went to a Carlton v PA game at the MCG during the Pagan years. It was a Sunday I think. Cold and wet. I think the crowd was under 10,000 (going from memory). It's the worst crowd I've ever been to involving Carlton at the MCG.

I'm tipping we might give that a shake on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
trublu wrote:
could this be coach killer game?? We will learn more about this group on the weekend

What can the coach do? He cant draft in players after 4 rounds. :?
Its a list problem, not a coaching issue.
We are getting smashed at ground balls. We are winning centre stoppages but around the ground where more numbers get to the ball, we are getting killed. The opposition have realised if they stop Cripps getting his hands on the ball, we have very little else. They just double team him and its game over.
Everything else is secondary. Forward structures, defensive personnel. If we cant get our hands on the pill, we're reactive in every other area.
I'll be interested to see how the coaches manipulate the situation. Personally, I think our only answer is to push all our forwards up to every contest and leave a runner (Garlett?) as our deepest forward and kick to space. Flood every contest and tackle the opposition when they get it outside.
Mmm.
Talking sense there BV...

Not sure what the coaches are currently thinking.

Teams are not only double teaming Cripps, but they are putting numbers at the contest while the team runs offensively.... At the contest, they will try and break every tackle, eventually they will, they give off to a player in the clear who delivers under little pressure..

They'll win the contest 65-70‰ of the time so it's a fair risk (see also why Jones is getting caught out of position)

The situation gets worse as our kid mids tire.... I haven't checked stats... but I'd bet we lose more contested possessions and get scored against later in quarters.

We have the first 10-15 where we should be attacking... After that.... Fully defensive.

Also Wtf are we thinking at centre bounces... Start the first half of quarters with Kevin Murphy Curnow Cripps plus one.... Then half way through a quarter will out in Caz, with maybe SPS, Fish, plus one... And surprise surprise, we get done at the clearance (see above)..........

FRUSTRATING...

ANYWAY, every team will play the 'walk through tackles' game against us.... Because it will work for the most part...

I can see us playing well against teams with smaller bodies (Melbourne, Essendon*, Saints, Brisbane?).....

Really need to change our contested play and stoppage/centre bounce set ups....
I don't expect we will suddenly win them, but let's avoid the 'definition of madness'

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm 
Bob Chitty

If Kruez was fully fit could we run him on the ball and bring in Phillips to do the ruck work.

At least with Kruez's big body he may be able to give Cripps a bit more physical support in there.

I am not suggesting the 2 ruckman scenario and only trying this in the short term until we get some players back from injury.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blues21 wrote:
I went to a Carlton v PA game at the MCG during the Pagan years. It was a Sunday I think. Cold and wet. I think the crowd was under 10,000 (going from memory). It's the worst crowd I've ever been to involving Carlton at the MCG.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blueboy74 wrote:
Blues21 wrote:

That's 2,000 more than GWS got to a home final.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mots87 wrote:
If Kruez was fully fit could we run him on the ball and bring in Phillips to do the ruck work.

At least with Kruez's big body he may be able to give Cripps a bit more physical support in there.

I am not suggesting the 2 ruckman scenario and only trying this in the short term until we get some players back from injury.

I wouldn't try the two ruckmen scenario either.

BUT

Why not try something like this... Caz in the ruck with Kruezer as a mid, in the centre or around the ground... Then (whoever) runs straight off for a rest....

Anything that mixes it up and makes us less predictable, especially to tactics like simply pushing around our younger /smaller players and breaking tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 am 
Ken Hands

These next few weeks present one hell of a coaching challenge, given the overall inexperience combined with substantial injury list.

Whatever personnel changes we make this week, we are almost certain to be thrashed.

We will benefit in the second half of the season if we allow players currently returning in the magoos to fully regain touch.

I'm therefore for minimal changes this week and perhaps try a few of the suggestions others have mentioned with the current group.

Given our current defensive stocks, maybe worth giving SOJ a role in defence for example.

Maybe even give Weitering a quarter or a half to run where he likes as a loose man.

We are in for some of the darkest weeks of this rebuild now. Hopefully we get a few positives from the next few games.

I don't really care where we finish this year as long as we have our future side starting to take shape by the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

billc3 wrote:
Mots87 wrote:

I wouldn't try the two ruckmen scenario either.

BUT

Why not try something like this... Caz in the ruck with Kruezer as a mid, in the centre or around the ground... Then (whoever) runs straight off for a rest....

Anything that mixes it up and makes us less predictable, especially to tactics like simply pushing around our younger /smaller players and breaking tackles.

if kennedy played as good as advertised, we wouldn't need cas & kruez at stoppages. cas, kruez and cripps at stoppages makes us awfully slow and vulnerable against sides who run and spread quickly.

we're desperate for some outside run through the middle. i think it's a bigger need than inside gets. no one on the outside to run and break lines and be effective with their disposal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am 
Bruce Doull

Centenaryblue wrote:
These next few weeks present one hell of a coaching challenge, given the overall inexperience combined with substantial injury list.

Whatever personnel changes we make this week, we are almost certain to be thrashed.

We will benefit in the second half of the season if we allow players currently returning in the magoos to fully regain touch.

I'm therefore for minimal changes this week and perhaps try a few of the suggestions others have mentioned with the current group.

Given our current defensive stocks, maybe worth giving SOJ a role in defence for example.

Maybe even give Weitering a quarter or a half to run where he likes as a loose man.

We are in for some of the darkest weeks of this rebuild now. Hopefully we get a few positives from the next few games.

I don't really care where we finish this year as long as we have our future side starting to take shape by the end of the season.

Good post but I'm not so sure we'll get thrashed this week. When you're in a slump there are worse games to face than WCE at the G.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am 
Bob Chitty

I know what you are saying Braithy.

I was more using the Kruez example as a bit of a protection mechanism for Crippa.

We have to give Kennedy a chance mate.

He will do what we hoped he would do , that I am confident of.

One of our few decent players in the second half last week.

Anyway, it was just a thought not saying it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:05 am 
Wayne Johnston

Mots87 wrote:
I know what you are saying Braithy.

I was more using the Kruez example as a bit of a protection mechanism for Crippa.

We have to give Kennedy a chance mate.

He will do what we hoped he would do , that I am confident of.

One of our few decent players in the second half last week.

Anyway, it was just a thought not saying it will work.

It was a good idea, it’s not about winning right now it’s about surviving until the end of the season without wrecking our only good couple of players.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Our junior mids are not getting it anywhere near enough and Cripps will be dead by July if we don't do something.
Ed Curnow is getting it most and I'm sure the opposition are happy for that to be the case. Good honest player Ed but we need more people involved.

I don't know what we can do since SOS loaded up with bog average HBF's instead of mids.

Bolts is going to have to try and turn somebody else into a mid (Jack, Wright, Cuningham or Liam @#$%&! Jones for all I care) or tell the light framed ones to get in the contest more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 am 
Geoff Southby

Blues21 wrote:

I think you re talking about a game vs Freo in about 2006 when Pav kicked a massive bag and we got thrashed. The crowd was just over 16.000.
Don't think we'll go that low, as we ve got double the paid up members we had in those days. Even I'm 2015 when we were stinking it up, we never got crowds at the G that low.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cimm1979 wrote:
Our junior mids are not getting it anywhere near enough and Cripps will be dead by July if we don't do something.
Ed Curnow is getting it most and I'm sure the opposition are happy for that to be the case. Good honest player Ed but we need more people involved.

I don't know what we can do since SOS loaded up with bog average HBF's instead of mids.

Bolts is going to have to try and turn somebody else into a mid (Jack, Wright, Cuningham or Liam @#$%&! Jones for all I care) or tell the light framed ones to get in the contest more.

The preoccupation with recruiting bog average half back flankers has been going on since the mid 90’s.

Half of them we’ve recruited expecting to grow 4 or 5 cm and turn into Key Position players and the other half we’ve expected to blossom into ball magnet mid fielders.

It’s killed us as a club because neither had ever happened except for Patrick Cripps and at the rate we’re going we are going to kill him.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next