Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

AGRO wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
terrible effort but the reality is we don't have the depth to cover murphy, marchbank, doc, pickett, williamson & lang. ASOS being out also doesn't help things as he at least could be putting pressure on jones & possibly weiters. a final nail is the opposition (who i really dislike) were playing a best 22 minus Hrovat @ a ground they know very well. just had recipe for a shit night written all over it.

like others i am not sure on what the point of recruiting o'shea was. for a team that lacks midfield grunt right now it was a strange call. just on that, surely we would get more from kerridge who at least runs all day, picks up enough of the ball and give us another big body in and around stoppages.

I can understand the strategy behind recruiting O’Shea.

That is demonstrating a pathway to the AFL from our VFL team - but O’Shea is definitely the wrong choice.

Fair enough. Shame they didn't employ that strategy with Kane Lambert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

I know this has been mentioned before, but we had 13 players 23 or under playing last night with 10 of those 21 or under.

The other 9 players were:

Kruezer
Casboult
Simpson
Jones
Thomas
Wright
O'Shea
Mullett
E Curnow

Now without being too critical how many of those players would be on any other teams list.
Not many I would think.
Are they all in our best team? No.
The ones that are are closer to the end of their careers that the beginning.
We all know where the age gap problem is 23 to 26.
Only one talented player in that age group. Doc. and he's only 24.
We are still suffering for the pathetic recruiting, drafting and administration of previous years.
Past is past and there is no point dwelling on it.
Can we fix the past?
Of cause we can but as you see it's going to take time.
Can't blame Bolt's or SOS for what they inherited.
One of most important things I see is if we have decided to take a certain path, which I believe we have, and we are confident with that path we must stick to it.
As far as young talent goes our list is in a much, much better state than it was 2 to 3 years ago.
I want success for our club as much as any Blue's supporter and I feel for our younger supporters who have never seen us successful.
I think it's up to us old supporters (62 years for me) to be a bit more positive about our future instead of the constant negativity.
Mind you I do get pissed off sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Well, we've had the old style fire breathing coach in MM. He failed partly because you can't rip into young guys today, they don't respond to that type of coach,they get all upset and sulk or leave for other clubs.

Now we've got a caring and sharing "teaching" coach. All smiles, all about telling the players how good they are, it's all about accentuating the positives. Same result or worse. All the high draft picks and we are just going backwards, why did we get rid of Ratten again?

There's too many teams in Melbourne, who will get the flick? St Kilda? Melbourne? Carlton? Not one premiership between the lot of them in over twenty years, Saints and Melbourne not a flag since the sixties. Melbourne won't go because of their name. St Kilda at least has been there abouts in recent times, where as Carlton are the worst performed of the established clubs this century. The NT Crocs anyone? The Tassie Devils perhaps? I'm sure the AFL will allow a small CFC logo on the collar of the jumper.

But I'll still turn up at games while the Carlton Football Club exists. I can't help myself, following the club goes back generations in my family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm 
Bob Chitty

Of course we will still follow the CFC Cortez.

Like you, my family have supported the club going back generations.

When my children were old enough to understand, I said them that there were 2 things not negotiable with me.

1/ Your education.

2/ You barrack for Carlton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

cortez wrote:

Now we've got a caring and sharing "teaching" coach. All smiles, all about telling the players how good they are, it's all about accentuating the positives. Same result or worse. All the high draft picks and we are just going backwards, why did we get rid of Ratten again?

Pretty sure Bolts is as good as giving the players a bake as any.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Mots87 wrote:

When my children were old enough to understand, I said them that there were 2 things not negotiable with me.

1/ Your education.

Why your education???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Caught Paul Roos on the radio earlier today talking about Carlton.
He’s quite positive about Carlton’s future saying that Melbourne went through the same thing when they embraced the draft a few years ago.

Essentially a team of kids with a paper thin midfield was beaten by a full strength team on an unfamiliar dig heap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
He’s quite positive about Carlton’s future saying that Melbourne went through the same thing when they embraced the draft a few years ago.

Essentially a team of kids with a paper thin midfield was beaten by a full strength team on an unfamiliar dig heap.
Oh Melbourne did the same thing did they.
Thats ok then because Melbourne has won what again

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 pm 
John Nicholls

Mots87 wrote:

1/ Your education.

Likewise, my step-dad's late father is the longest serving member in the history of our club. A member 86 years straight. My step-dad has been a member since a toddler, and since he came into my life when I was a toddler, so have I.

I was lucky enough to see '95 (and be there) at the age of 14. I'm 36 now, almost 37, and it's getting harder every year. I pay my captains club membership every year and have done for a long time, over $1k annually... to turn up and watch the players not.

I've always felt if the club ever struggled to keep someone like me on board, they'd be in dire straits. It's very, very hard right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Roos will tell you they're in for a dynasty - because of him.

But yeahnah, I'm not thrilled to be on the Demons trajectory atm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
terrible effort but the reality is we don't have the depth to cover murphy, marchbank, doc, pickett, williamson & lang. ASOS being out also doesn't help things as he at least could be putting pressure on jones & possibly weiters. a final nail is the opposition (who i really dislike) were playing a best 22 minus Hrovat @ a ground they know very well. just had recipe for a shit night written all over it.

like others i am not sure on what the point of recruiting o'shea was. for a team that lacks midfield grunt right now it was a strange call. just on that, surely we would get more from kerridge who at least runs all day, picks up enough of the ball and give us another big body in and around stoppages.

That is demonstrating a pathway to the AFL from our VFL team - but O’Shea is definitely the wrong choice.

Yeah they should go for Kane Lambert...wait a minute

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
CK95 wrote:
We had several drafts in a row that were adsolute busts

We are now feeling those giant black holes on our list.

QFT

Our lack of decent 23-26 year olds is telling, and is the area the kids should be able to turn to for guidance and protection.

:HughesandRogers:

Hit nail on head.

It's a problem that will take time to heal.

We have 20 great kids who will peak together in 2-3 years time.

It's obvious we need to recruit some class in the midfield, which can be done in next 2 drafts, but we can't blame the current coaching and recruiting staff for that.

Stick Phat Bluebaggers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

doofdoof wrote:
AGRO wrote:
doofdoof wrote:

Fair enough. Shame they didn't employ that strategy with Kane Lambert

I'm sure we all remember us TCers hoping he'd be at least rookies after the season he had with the NBs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

WTF is it with our mentality that senior players will play this dumb-ass game where we give away a free kick, then go and stand over the ball so the opposition player can't get easy access to pick it up?

It's usually not even the player taking the kick - he's already gone back on his mark waiting & for the ball.

Simmo did it last night as did one of the young kids.

Here's an idea - run down the @#$%&! ground and pick up your man :idea: .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mots87 wrote:
I know this has been mentioned before, but we had 13 players 23 or under playing last night with 10 of those 21 or under.

The other 9 players were:

Kruezer
Casboult
Simpson
Jones
Thomas
Wright
O'Shea
Mullett
E Curnow

Now without being too critical how many of those players would be on any other teams list.
Not many I would think.
Are they all in our best team? No.
The ones that are are closer to the end of their careers that the beginning.
We all know where the age gap problem is 23 to 26.
Only one talented player in that age group. Doc. and he's only 24.
We are still suffering for the pathetic recruiting, drafting and administration of previous years.
Past is past and there is no point dwelling on it.
Can we fix the past?
Of cause we can but as you see it's going to take time.
Can't blame Bolt's or SOS for what they inherited.
One of most important things I see is if we have decided to take a certain path, which I believe we have, and we are confident with that path we must stick to it.
As far as young talent goes our list is in a much, much better state than it was 2 to 3 years ago.
I want success for our club as much as any Blue's supporter and I feel for our younger supporters who have never seen us successful.
I think it's up to us old supporters (62 years for me) to be a bit more positive about our future instead of the constant negativity.
Mind you I do get pissed off sometimes.

Good onya Mots.

Our household, kids included are sticking phat with our Bluebaggers.

We know our kids are young, undeveloped, skinny...but our household is pissed off too. It hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
CK95 wrote:
We had several drafts in a row that were adsolute busts

We are now feeling those giant black holes on our list.

QFT

Our lack of decent 23-26 year olds is telling, and is the area the kids should be able to turn to for guidance and protection.

:HughesandRogers:

Hit nail on head.

It's a problem that will take time to heal.

We have 20 great kids who will peak together in 2-3 years time.

It's obvious we need to recruit some class in the midfield, which can be done in next 2 drafts, but we can't blame the current coaching and recruiting staff for that.

Stick Phat Bluebaggers

The problem with this plan is that the best of those kids will be gone in 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Duke wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Roos will tell you they're in for a dynasty - because of him.

But yeahnah, I'm not thrilled to be on the Demons trajectory atm.

A decade of bottom-five finishes/tanks followed by a glorious ninth place isn't good enough for you? Modern footy fans, I tellsya.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I am still hoping that Bolton can get this group playing some quality football. But every time we get a thumping I become less confident.

I know that this will annoy people ... BUT ... I strongly believe we should never have sacked Ratten!

On the bright side the number 1 pick this year is an absolute ripper.

Its gunna be a long season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Arrived home this evening from 3 days in Tassie.
Unfortunately I had to witness it first hand.
The gound is not up to AFL standard. Before the game they had some entertainment and turned off the tower lights so it was very dark. People were walking around trying to find seats with the lights on their phones. I hope no one hurt themselves. The ground announcer told us there were no changes to either team. We were all wondering why Cripps tossed the coin and Graham was playing. A friend messaged me so we knew what was going on with Murphy.
After a goal we had to put up with fake crowd noises and then a message comes up on the score board saying Make some noise.
The game was supposedly a sell out. I booked tickets in December when they first went on sale and no seats were available so had to get general admission, which cost $32, and had to stand/sit on a grass hill. While we were freezing on a hill with no seat there were empty seats all over the ground and only 14,000 turned up.
The game was terrible, I have no words for how bad we were.
Lots of players had their heads down, supporters left before 3/4 time.
I stayed to the end, it was the coldest I have ever been at the footy.
What an embarrassment we have become, the laughing stock of the AFL.
It is hard to see how we will ever get out of this mess.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Geez Kezza, I feared for those on the Hill.
Had to buy GA tickets too in January but month later they released more reserved seating, so ended up in prime position above the interchange in the grandstand wing.
It was pitiful. Kids keep asking “when will Carlton be good again?”
They have only seen us lose.
Always boasted Carlton was too big a club to be sent to Tassie.
Not anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next