Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
this is as bad as anything britain, pagan or malthouse served up. only right now, we are witnessing the very worst list and depth this once great club has ever had.

no heart
no desire
no hunger
no skills
no run
no work ethic
no mid field

Edited for accuracy

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
Oh well. There's a bushfire raging one suburb away. It could be worse. Yay.

The Duke, in the next post wrote:
Burn the joint down and re-build from its base.

Well that's just mean! :D

We're still here. But the air is toxic. Feels like Carlton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I must say I was surprised Bolton made the players play a more attacking style after we lost Gibbs and Docherty. I'd have thought a more conservative approach was appropriate. So I am disappointed he seems so surprised by our current form. To be that is alarming and suggests Bolton is naive.

You'd have to be an idiot to not realise our list is brittle this year. I understand it is hard to lure quality players these days as they tend to go to good clubs not clubs that can't win games, so I'd have thought of the club was preparing to go very young that they'd have a strategy in place to protect the kids but it seems they have stuffed this up. And that's the main worry. The draft bust loop as someone said earlier.

There's nothing to come in, the VFL side got belted last week. The cupboard is barren. It's only R4 and the coach is saying we need to re-teach the defensive strategies. Jesus!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:11 am 
Bruce Doull

We had several drafts in a row that were adsolute busts

We are now feeling those giant black holes on our list.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
We had several drafts in a row that were adsolute busts

We are now feeling those giant black holes on our list.

QFT

Our lack of decent 23-26 year olds is telling, and is the area the kids should be able to turn to for guidance and protection.

:HughesandRogers:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:16 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Paddycripps wrote:
I must say I was surprised Bolton made the players play a more attacking style after we lost Gibbs and Docherty. I'd have thought a more conservative approach was appropriate. So I am disappointed he seems so surprised by our current form. To be that is alarming and suggests Bolton is naive.

You'd have to be an idiot to not realise our list is brittle this year. I understand it is hard to lure quality players these days as they tend to go to good clubs not clubs that can't win games, so I'd have thought of the club was preparing to go very young that they'd have a strategy in place to protect the kids but it seems they have stuffed this up. And that's the main worry. The draft bust loop as someone said earlier.

There's nothing to come in, the VFL side got belted last week. The cupboard is barren. It's only R4 and the coach is saying we need to re-teach the defensive strategies. Jesus!!!

Being conservative the last 20 yrs has got us into this situation.

Thank goodness we now have at least an attacking mindset from a head coaching perspective.

If we revert back to an insular protective mindset then I give up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 am 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Thank goodness we now have at least an attacking mindset from a head coaching perspective.

If I was asked to describe our club post-2002 in one word, it would be "passive".

Passive communications
Passive support at games
Passive leadership
Passive players

It's like since then (and to an extent the "They know we're coming" days, and Fev's antics) the club and people around it are too scared to be on the front foot about anything.

This is why I am sticking with Bolts (SOS too), he at least appears to have a proactive mindset.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

If I was asked to describe our club post-2002 in one word, it would be "passive".

Passive communications
Passive support at games
Passive leadership
Passive players

It's like since then (and to an extent the "They know we're coming" days, and Fev's antics) the club and people around it are too scared to be on the front foot about anything.

This is why I am sticking with Bolts (SOS too), he at least appears to have a proactive mindset.

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am 
Rod Ashman

FWIW, LOB showed glimpses as did Cuningham.

Nothing more to say, I'm still confused.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

WOW wrote:
We are a club in crisis (again)

No doubt about it

Focussing on youth is a correct strategy but you need good experienced senior players to complement their development

We don't have this and will pay the price

You can see some of our younger players have stagnated in their development

Worst outcome possible as you get caught up in this continual draft bust situation and set your climb back up the ladder back

A vicious cycle that only breeds a losing culture

I think you're right.

What happened? The wheels have fallen off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We lost the clearances, the hard ball gets.
Midfield would have been better with Kennedy and Murphy and then it would still be undermanned.

Kennedy may have a big body and grunt but he hasn't done much as a footballer. Ie running with the ball, bouncing, selling the dummy, clean handball and foot passing. I hope it's a fitness thing.

Feel for Cripps without Gibbs in the trenches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 am 
Geoff Southby

I don’t know what to think. I don’t think any of us would’ve expected this.
The media knobs like Robbo, Caro, Cornes and Lloyd would be laughing their heads I’d at us and sharpening their knives. Here comes another week of Carlton bashing.
There seems to be a bug disconnect between the players and the coach.
Bringing in Mullett and O’Shea has been a waste.
We can’t take a triick with injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 am 
Craig Bradley

On TV it looked like we partially abandoned the zone defence... maybe those at the game can confirm?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 am 
Bob Chitty

Dominator_7 wrote:
I don’t know what to think. I don’t think any of us would’ve expected this.
The media knobs like Robbo, Caro, Cornes and Lloyd would be laughing their heads I’d at us and sharpening their knives. Here comes another week of Carlton bashing.
There seems to be a bug disconnect between the players and the coach.
Bringing in Mullett and O’Shea has been a waste.
We can’t take a triick with injuries.

OShea and to a lesser extent Mullet are playing because Doc, Willo and Byrne are injured. They are a waste if the intention was for them to be first choice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 am 
Robert Walls

Paging BV. Paging BV.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 am 
Rod Ashman

terrible effort but the reality is we don't have the depth to cover murphy, marchbank, doc, pickett, williamson & lang. ASOS being out also doesn't help things as he at least could be putting pressure on jones & possibly weiters. a final nail is the opposition (who i really dislike) were playing a best 22 minus Hrovat @ a ground they know very well. just had recipe for a shit night written all over it.

like others i am not sure on what the point of recruiting o'shea was. for a team that lacks midfield grunt right now it was a strange call. just on that, surely we would get more from kerridge who at least runs all day, picks up enough of the ball and give us another big body in and around stoppages.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

doofdoof wrote:
terrible effort but the reality is we don't have the depth to cover murphy, marchbank, doc, pickett, williamson & lang. ASOS being out also doesn't help things as he at least could be putting pressure on jones & possibly weiters. a final nail is the opposition (who i really dislike) were playing a best 22 minus Hrovat @ a ground they know very well. just had recipe for a shit night written all over it.

like others i am not sure on what the point of recruiting o'shea was. for a team that lacks midfield grunt right now it was a strange call. just on that, surely we would get more from kerridge who at least runs all day, picks up enough of the ball and give us another big body in and around stoppages.

I can understand the strategy behind recruiting O’Shea.

That is demonstrating a pathway to the AFL from our VFL team - but O’Shea is definitely the wrong choice.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am 
Geoff Southby

Can we now say the Liam Jones rebirth is over ?
Killed by his opponent again yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 am 
Ken Hunter

Woke up this morning and tried not to get on but just can’t help myself, especially on a winter morning such as today.

Anyway, my biggest issue with our teams is application. Our players, no matter who is in or out, show very little endevour and desire to do the simple things and win at all costs. Whether our game plan is right or wrong to me right now is not the issue. We just don’t have the hunger to execute and this is the point in question. The very reason I was upset with our selections 2 weeks ago. Dropping SOJ sent the wrong message. This kid doesn’t only bleed blue but busts a gut to do all the little things as well. Our top picks are the worse contributors and it seems we bring in more with very little work rate. Until they go to another club that is.

Until we fix our culture that losing is not acceptable and ‘no excuses’ are tolerated, we will keep failing as a footy club. Our club legend Ratten was sacked after 1 year of injuries, with a team less talented, that just missed out on a finals berth that year, and at a time he was trying to build the culture of CFC back to what it used to be!

Building the culture and mentality is paramount to success, no matter how young or old you are and our players haven’t had it for 2 centuries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought Liam jones was pretty good after half time. The one goal brown kicked was in plowman.

He took a few nice marks and disposed of the ball well.

Weitering on the other hand....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next