Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:
against poor teams we should still be ahead of.

I'm not sure on what basis you can say we should be ahead of Collingwood/GC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 am 
Bob Chitty

Sydney Blue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
FMD, listen to you negative old farts.
Yes we've been disappointing the past 2 games but we haven't been smashed. It just shows up our lack of midfield depth. Kreuzer obviously wasn't right but credit to him for putting his hand up. Same with Kennedy.

The season still has a long way to go and we'll get quite a few wins. Once we can get Lang and a fit Kennedy helping Cripps, our midfield will have a bit more substance to it.
As for Bolton continuing to play a zone defence, so he should. Every club plays a zone and a press.

Our forward line is obviously still killing us (as it has for a number of years now)
We had 55 Inside 50's and they had 41 rebound 50's. So whenever we press up and the ball exits our forward line, our players are all off their players. But we have to persist.
We require more forward line pressure and it will help us retain the ball inside 50. That extra pressure will effect the kick and it will be kicked to where we have the numbers.
Bolton is obviously trying different players there but we just don't have the cattle yet. But going back to one of one footy when we have the ball will set us back years. We have to persist in developing the players in the modern game.

Yes it's shit to sit back and watch but we have to be patient. Bolton has lost his 2 best players from last year (Gibbs and Docherty). It's going to hurt us. But in the long term, we're building for a premiership.

I admire the club for finally having the guts to rebuild properly instead of the half arsed efforts of past years. It's up to the supporters now to show the courage to stick with them.
Wash rinse repeat.
Same post as last week and it will be the same next week.
You can't keep churning a dozen plus players a year and keep blaming the players.
BV what would you have done when Buckley moved Treloar to Jones
Or how would you shaken the Pendles tag on Cripps.
Who should have been on Sidebottom.
It unfolds before your eyes and the numb nuts in the coaches box do nothing

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Another way of saying "wash, rinse, repeat" is to say BV has a glass half full attitude with an eye on the big picture rather than a week to week changing opinion of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Nothing wrong with that.
To have an eye on the big picture there first must be a picture to look at.
There is nothing that suggests this team as a team is progressing.
Individual performance is not a measure of team performance
This team is not developing as a team

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Goals are up 11% and inside 50's up by 21%.

We are clearly and seriously however not balancing that with our defence and the quality of a lot of the entries is below competition standard.

When we find the right balance and improve the quality of our entires we will have improved. It's a balance. It's a work in progress.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:11 am 
Bruce Doull

Effes wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
against poor teams we should still be ahead of.

I'm not sure on what basis you can say we should be ahead of Collingwood/GC.

Quite a few

GoldCoast:
- Off-field basket case with poor culture
- Lost three best midfielders from past 2 seasons
- Coughed up pick 2 and Matera for Weller and not much else
- Have turned the bloke we supposedly knocked back in the Gibbs deal into a star
- New coach with only 1 game (to that point) experience
- Similar quantity of young talented kids
- Playing at OUR home ground

Collingwood:
- Bottom 4 side
- Poor list made up of retreads, zero KPP at either end, unconvincing young talent and sketchy on-field leadership
- Injury decimated
- The worst kicking skills in the AFL (amazing how they magically barely missed against us - that’s the sort of confidence boost you get from lack of pressure)
- An underwhelming coach

Yes you can weigh up a similarly lengthy list about us, but when I do this I still see no reason we shouldn’t at least be on par with these two.

Both are Botton 4 teams like us who we made into superstars for a day. We should be beating (or at worst competing with) teams like this. But both smashed us and seem to have leapfrogged us.

The other issue too is this is our time to win a few. We’ve been blessed with our first few rounds to get very winnable games in succession, before it actually gets tough. More will be revealed after the Norf game but lose that and (looking ahead to the halfway point of the season) we could be winless. Then no amount of sugar coating will blanket the odour.

Clearly you disagree though, so my question to you is who do you think we’ll actually beat?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:
Clearly you disagree though, so my question to you is who do you think we’ll actually beat?

I'm not sure, but results every year show that favourites often get beaten...just look at how Brisbane almost defeated Port yesterday. Carlton defeating Sydney and GWS last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I imagine the entire group of hundreds of thousands of supporters worldwide are as divided as the members of this forum.
If you want a poor position to build a base upon, that's not a bad start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I imagine the entire group of hundreds of thousands of supporters worldwide are as divided as the members of this forum.
If you want a poor position to build a base upon, that's not a bad start.

A good way to help fix this would be for the club to actually COMMUNICATE with these supporters, instead of just sending Bolton out to face the wolves each time.

Perhaps the club can show:
- they hurt and actually give a shit like we do
- that the poor sod coaching us is correct in his approach
- that what he says is happening IS actually happening

Instead we get crickets, mixed up with Bolton answering the same questions, players staring slack-jawed at the camera with insights like “we let ourselves down a bit”, our GM being cagey every week over injuries and our media team calling our 130 pt VFL loss “a disappointing day”.

I don’t want board spills, I don’t want loud Mathieson’esque manifestos. I just want to know the club @#$%&! hurts when shit like this happens, or at least more than a minor inconvenience.

Who knows how that might affect our collective mood.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:25 pm 
Wayne Johnston

MPH78 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
FMD, listen to you negative old farts.
Yes we've been disappointing the past 2 games but we haven't been smashed. It just shows up our lack of midfield depth. Kreuzer obviously wasn't right but credit to him for putting his hand up. Same with Kennedy.

The season still has a long way to go and we'll get quite a few wins. Once we can get Lang and a fit Kennedy helping Cripps, our midfield will have a bit more substance to it.
As for Bolton continuing to play a zone defence, so he should. Every club plays a zone and a press.

Our forward line is obviously still killing us (as it has for a number of years now)
We had 55 Inside 50's and they had 41 rebound 50's. So whenever we press up and the ball exits our forward line, our players are all off their players. But we have to persist.
We require more forward line pressure and it will help us retain the ball inside 50. That extra pressure will effect the kick and it will be kicked to where we have the numbers.
Bolton is obviously trying different players there but we just don't have the cattle yet. But going back to one of one footy when we have the ball will set us back years. We have to persist in developing the players in the modern game.

Yes it's shit to sit back and watch but we have to be patient. Bolton has lost his 2 best players from last year (Gibbs and Docherty). It's going to hurt us. But in the long term, we're building for a premiership.

I admire the club for finally having the guts to rebuild properly instead of the half arsed efforts of past years. It's up to the supporters now to show the courage to stick with them.

This.

Appreciate your input BV.

Just on the forward line. Our entries are diabolical. Either the long bomb pretty much direct to the opposition numbers or the hack/grubber kick forward. No chance of keeping it in when the entries are like that.

What are we actually trying to do? I don’t see any system.

Given it’s exactly the same with the VFL team, I’d say there must be a system that has been taught to our list

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

It appears the rot has set in

The NB loss of 130pts is really disconcerting

Like a rudderless ship

If the club is heading in the right direction, then the next few weeks will be telling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:32 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Upon reflection, this situation reminds me of a story I heard Paul McNamee tell about the time in his career when he switched to a double-handed backhand. He said people used to come to his matches just to laugh at the guy who regularly mishit the ball into the stands.

Obviously it worked out for him after a lot of perseverance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

Out: Equilibrium

In: Higher skill level, more mongrel

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 am 
Craig Bradley

Greatest frustration against GC was getting beaten the same way 2 years in a row. Hope the same doesn't happen this weekend. Just hope that Ed locks down on Higgins.

Also be nice to see Jones play somewhere near Brown.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Rod Ashman

We need to have our line in the sand game.
I think the Essendon* match in round 8 will be that game.
But, like the Hawks from more than 10yrs ago, we’ll need to see the players genuinely hating to lose anymore and refusing to be the AFL’s soft touch.
Judging by the even tempered or even light- hearted demeanour of too many after a loss, I don’t think we’re truly there yet.
I think we have b/w now and round 8 to show that we cannot stand to lose a match, a quarter, a contest or even the god-damned toss of the coin!
It is important that we win a few games before then, but by round 8, as we approach the end of our 66game rebuild, we need to draw a line in the sand. (Get Diesel or the Dominator in to give the pre-game address...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

trublu wrote:
Another flogging.

Bolts and his cliches and philosophy’s have sucked the life out of this playing group.

He’s sucked the natural ability out of these players. Their ability to play on instinct has been coached out of them.

That’s why the Kangan will win by plenty. 45+

A couple of years ago when he was saying "get comfortable being uncomfortable" I didnt realise he meant accepting getting flogged every week

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

When has he ever shrugged the shoulders and accepted a loss.
Quite the contrary if you listen to what he says.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Don’t tell anyone, but I think we should try some sandpaper on the ball this game. Just quietly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
Don’t tell anyone, but I think we should try some sandpaper on the ball this game. Just quietly.

If it came out at least we could get rid of the 'skipper' for 12 months.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 pm 
Bob Chitty

Heavs wrote:
verbs wrote:

If it came out at least we could get rid of the 'skipper' for 12 months.

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

But also the bull and the rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

verbs wrote:
But also the bull and the rookie

Cripps and Dow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next