Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

I love Ed Curnow's effort and application but we need to stop getting ourselves into a situation where he is the one receiving the handball and delivering inside 50. He just isn't a good enough kick (he's not alone there) to continually find himself in that position. He should be the one getting the handball out to blokes like Fisher and Murphy (when he isn't dropping it at blokes' feet) for them to be kicking it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cant take our own medicine.Can dish it out but can't take it.Defensive pressure I'm talking about.Goldie played the sort of footy we have been playing since Bolton arrived.Those fumbles weren't skill errors,they were a reaction to immense pressure..........all is not lost if we rediscover that and play to our limitations..........talk of dropping young guys is ludicrous coz they are our future.They were early picks for a reason...............reckon if we revert to our manic defensive type pressure game we can salvage something from the season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Heavs wrote:
He's almost at full Hendo.

Everyone knows”you never go full Hendo” :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

cortez wrote:
Just read the review of the game in the Age. "Their (Carlton) skill errors were almost unfathomable". The article goes on to talk of being unable to hit a target "whether because of sloppy kicking, dropped marks or through other turnovers".

What does this say of our club? Surely these players can't have reached the pinnacle of Australian Rules Football without the ability to kick, handball or hold marks. The problem has to be between the ears. Sure, players aren't robots, they make mistakes, their performances will vary, but why oh why have we the supporters been bemoaning our players skill levels such as were on display against GC for so long? Loser mentality? Bad coaching? I don't know, but something is seriously wrong within our club. This has been going on for way, way too long. High draft picks for years now, and think of all the ex Carlton players forging careers at other clubs. I despair.

Following on from this, isn't it a stated priority to recruit players with skills. That is who can kick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

By the way, I am always ready to cut Murphy some slack. Twelve years of being unfairly roughed up, bumped, shoved, dumped, hit, with little to no protection from his team mates and I for one can recognize why he looks after himself first nowadays.

Maybe not as captain but he is still one of our best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

redback wrote:
bluedog wrote:
eric pascoe wrote:
The litmus test of any team is to look at their bottom 4

We could rattle off 15 today.

Being there today, you just got the feeling that they all had no collective idea. Hopefully this is our one barry crocker, like the Port game last year.

I am really worried about Weitering

Was playing as if he has relationship problems.

He's having personal issues with leather.

Doesn’t want to get done for ball tampering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
A little side not3 but, I’m amazed how many other teams can adjust to new coaches game plans over 1 summer but not us.

It's not about other sides, it's about us and how we train, play and assert ourselves.
We were improving, building and growing but this year we have totally failed in our improvement gain from previous years and have totally lost direction with the selections, structures and personnel and it's showing in an astounding manner.

Mickstar wrote:
Cant take our own medicine.Can dish it out but can't take it.Defensive pressure I'm talking about.Goldie played the sort of footy we have been playing since Bolton arrived.Those fumbles weren't skill errors,they were a reaction to immense pressure..........all is not lost if we rediscover that and play to our limitations..........talk of dropping young guys is ludicrous coz they are our future.They were early picks for a reason...............reckon if we revert to our manic defensive type pressure game we can salvage something from the season.

When the young players don't chase, tackle and at the very least apply pressure and exert themselves you make an example and teach them it's not acceptable, because they are the future.
Do you think the ones breaking their nut are going to stick around and play with the ones been gifted games and waltzing around the club as if they are the anointed ones?
Everyone talks about a change of culture but are afraid of hurting a couple of ego's, now is the time before it's too late again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
By the way, I am always ready to cut Murphy some slack. Twelve years of being unfairly roughed up, bumped, shoved, dumped, hit, with little to no protection from his team mates and I for one can recognize why he looks after himself first nowadays.

Maybe not as captain but he is still one of our best.

I agree 99% teddy with your viewpoint and he has been bashed from pillar to post but if he wants any type of success and to really become a good leader he has to set an example. He now needs to chase, badger and do the hard 1%, 99% of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blues2005 wrote:
I love Ed Curnow's effort and application but we need to stop getting ourselves into a situation where he is the one receiving the handball and delivering inside 50. He just isn't a good enough kick (he's not alone there) to continually find himself in that position. He should be the one getting the handball out to blokes like Fisher and Murphy (when he isn't dropping it at blokes' feet) for them to be kicking it.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Effes wrote:
Blues2005 wrote:

:thumbsup:

Murphy's kicking is no good either. Fisher and Dow, yes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

smithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
What’s people’s honest assessment of Cam Polson ?

Too light, too small, couldn't stick a tackle, not quick enough....not going to blame him for his handling errors and lack of poise in only his 2nd game

I remember people saying the same about Fisher last year. They were wrong then and you're wrong now about Polson, the problem was not a second gamer who laid more tackles than all but 3 other guys out there.

Not from me.
Fisher is quick, elusive and has shown a lot in every game he's played.
Has better game sense than Polson from what Ive seen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
I feel for Weitering. Parked at FF first half. Delivery abysmal.

He parked himself because there were plenty of times he was expected and could lead but chose to park himself in what looks a parking spot, but its actually a goal square.

I'm sure his pride and his God Given skills will get himself through this situation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/SunFootyShow/status ... 6171730944

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

showbag wrote:
I'm really shocked to be sitting here. I really liked Gibbs as a footballer, but this board told me he was a rubbish leader, soft over the ball and weak of mind and spirit, and we would be a far better side without him. Then he gets traded and we still can't beat Gold Coast. They got rid of Ablett and if worked for them. It's all very confusing.

Having his replacements in Kennedy and Lang not playing yesterday didn’t help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

WTF...
Finally get some WiFi and see the score as well as the stats? The stats say we should have won (or at least be close), the score says we got done.
Thanks to all the comments he, helps us to understand a bit of what was going on?

So we really fumbled that badly?... And had no intensity?...

I'm confused.
The only positive I can say is that intensity and skills are something we SHOULD be able to bring to a game... We did it last week FFS!

Probably what worries me the most is Frank being pessimistic and angry... He's usually the level headed one here! :thumbsup:

Go you good things

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
smithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
What’s people’s honest assessment of Cam Polson ?

Too light, too small, couldn't stick a tackle, not quick enough....not going to blame him for his handling errors and lack of poise in only his 2nd game

I remember people saying the same about Fisher last year. They were wrong then and you're wrong now about Polson, the problem was not a second gamer who laid more tackles than all but 3 other guys out there.

Not from me.
Fisher is quick, elusive and has shown a lot in every game he's played.
Has better game sense than Polson from what Ive seen

O.K... but let's give him 30 games and see where he is at, we have gifted less talented C graders way more games than that. And tell me all those other guys who are laying 6 tackles a week? Or even pressuring the opponents? I am Fishers biggest fan,can remember being in the recruiting thread weeks before his draft and begging them to take SPS with our first and Fisher with our second. So I've seen not only his Carlton games but almost all his W.A Rep/club games from his draft year. And even I have to admit he didn't show much at all in some of those early Carlton games, certainly no more than what Polson showed yesterday. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing Polson ahead of a Thomas/Lamb.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:

https://twitter.com/SunFootyShow/status ... 6171730944

Lloyd and Cornes couldn’t wipe the dribble off their chins fast enough

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sorry Bill yes I was really angry last night and generally a positive poster as you know and have been on this site for years

A bit more sanguine today but still really disappointed with selection coaching and ineptitude of team and disappointed that whilst a number of us here said this was a danger game our captain said we got ahead of ourselves after last week when we lost by 25 points

How does a side get ahead of themselves when they lead by 30 points last week early and then lose by 5 goals and the team has not won more than a handful of games in the last 4 years -unbelievable and what does that say about the culture of the club

Why didn't the leadership group during the week seek to squash this attitude and why didn't the coaching group sense this or try to guard against this happening and why given our performances in the last 3 years in these games weren't we right on and ready to run them off their legs

Why is Carlton the only team that Lynch continues to get a bag of goals against -

Disappointed that every time we take a few steps forward the next performance is 10 steps back

We need for our development and for our supporters to start winning these type of games

Youth and potential are dirty words if you are not mentally tough or don't play with grit and hardness

Watched all matches this round and it is obvious that with the Bulldogs we are the worst side in the competition after 2 rounds

Too many excuses for this side time is running out -more first round draft picks on the list than almost any other side and whilst not the only test really indicates output of this group isn't nearly good or competent enough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

redback wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
A little side not3 but, I’m amazed how many other teams can adjust to new coaches game plans over 1 summer but not us.

It's not about other sides, it's about us and how we train, play and assert ourselves.
We were improving, building and growing but this year we have totally failed in our improvement gain from previous years and have totally lost direction with the selections, structures and personnel and it's showing in an astounding manner.

Mickstar wrote:

When the young players don't chase, tackle and at the very least apply pressure and exert themselves you make an example and teach them it's not acceptable, because they are the future.
Do you think the ones breaking their nut are going to stick around and play with the ones been gifted games and waltzing around the club as if they are the anointed ones?
Everyone talks about a change of culture but are afraid of hurting a couple of ego's, now is the time before it's too late again.

You checked out our magoos last few years Red ? aint gonna learn a thing going back there...................at last we have a few kids with a bit of talent which has gotta be exploited in the one's.No easy copout going back getting easy kicks in the magoos.They gotta tough this out in the big time.Starting this week against the old enemy who are vulnerable.....................its simple for me,probably old fashioned,but its go in hard,and run hard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

I have checked out our magoos a few times mick but i think you're missing the point. They are not sent back to learn how to hone their skill or get easy kicks, it's about commitment and tenacity. We all know they have talent and can get the ball but it's what you do when you haven't got the ball that sets you up for the player you can become. We need players that hate losing to be a part of the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next