Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:05 am 
Horrie Clover

just want to give a thumbs up to ed curnow for his game on saturday.

the man had a plate inserted into his larynix last year.... personally i have never heard of that before.

ed is a hardcore machine and i'm glad any time he runs out there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 am 
Robert Walls

johnny wrote:

the man had a plate inserted into his larynix last year.... personally i have never heard of that before.

And speaking of...after what happened to Ed, the AFL should introduce the rule that if you fend off and it makes contact with neck or head, it needs to be looked at, not just be a free kick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

99prelim wrote:
johnny wrote:

And speaking of...after what happened to Ed, the AFL should introduce the rule that if you fend off and it makes contact with neck or head, it needs to be looked at, not just be a free kick

will happen when Carlton draft a fend-off machine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Interesting we had an older and more experienced team against GC. Only just, but being young isn’t an excuse at present. Having a below average senior pool is a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Looking at individuals isn't going to tell us much about this one. The team and the coaches were going out there for an exercise in ball movement while Gold Coast were hell bent on smothering us and getting extra numbers to every contest. Out pressured us for almost the entire game of the early part of the second and third quarters.

The team that's winning the pressure battle always looks more skillful, that's why guys like Lyons, Holman and Harbrow looked like better kicks than Mullett, Weitering and Murphy. More time and space to execute.

Plenty of teams are now following Richmond and applying full on forward pressure and getting extra numbers to the contest. We'll need to bring Richmond levels of intensity every week just to compete.

This is not a drop/sack everyone situation, there's some great talent on our list. This is a lesson for the coaches and players that they have to bring more intensity and defensive pressure than their opponents every week or they'll be made to look second rate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm 
Robert Walls

dannyboy wrote:
99prelim wrote:
johnny wrote:

will happen when Carlton draft a fend-off machine.

But of course, that will just be a coincidence DB

Seriously, the damage that can be caused by a palm (the bit closest to the wrist) smashing into the windpipe can be catastrophic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sin City wrote:
Looking at individuals isn't going to tell us much about this one. The team and the coaches were going out there for an exercise in ball movement while Gold Coast were hell bent on smothering us and getting extra numbers to every contest. Out pressured us for almost the entire game of the early part of the second and third quarters.

The team that's winning the pressure battle always looks more skillful, that's why guys like Lyons, Holman and Harbrow looked like better kicks than Mullett, Weitering and Murphy. More time and space to execute.

Plenty of teams are now following Richmond and applying full on forward pressure and getting extra numbers to the contest. We'll need to bring Richmond levels of intensity every week just to compete.

This is not a drop/sack everyone situation, there's some great talent on our list. This is a lesson for the coaches and players that they have to bring more intensity and defensive pressure than their opponents every week or they'll be made to look second rate.

Good post. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:06 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Coaches Votes v Gold Coast

10 Lynch
8 Lyons
4 Martin
3 Swallow
2 Holman
2 Witts
1 Ed Curnow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stefchook wrote:
Sin City wrote:

Good post. :thumbsup:

Yep great post. Though highly troubling that our coaches and players need reminding of the prerequisite defensive pressure and intensity required. Should be a given. What right have we got to be so poor in these areas? Bothers me that our group mindset/attitude can be so far off the mark.

Our response this week will be telling, hopefully in the positive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

chubbyruss wrote:

10 Lynch
8 Lyons
4 Martin
3 Swallow
2 Holman
2 Witts
1 Ed Curnow

Only 1 player in the top 7. Says a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Stefchook wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

10 Lynch
8 Lyons
4 Martin
3 Swallow
2 Holman
2 Witts
1 Ed Curnow

Only 1 player in the top 7. Says a bit.

Holman got votes too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:54 am 
Craig Bradley

We've had 2 absolute stinkers this year. And for me, this one was far worse than the game against North (despite the margin). I suspect there'd be far less doom and gloom if we'd managed a single win. And despite GC's improvement, there is no way we should have lost this game. This was before our injuries had become endemic. But we were defensively incompetent. Our ball handling and use were deplorable. I think both the playing group and coaches were still basking in the 'light' of our preseason and round 1 performances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12