Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

frank dardew wrote:
our captain said we got ahead of ourselves after last week when we lost by 25 points

He didn't... did he? :screwy:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

redback wrote:
I have checked out our magoos a few times mick but i think you're missing the point. They are not sent back to learn how to hone their skill or get easy kicks, it's about commitment and tenacity. We all know they have talent and can get the ball but it's what you do when you haven't got the ball that sets you up for the player you can become. We need players that hate losing to be a part of the future.

We need the club to reset this culture after destroying it. Our players have learnt to accept close enough is good enough. If you need an example - Murphy’s last interview. Embarrassing that we lose but get ahead of ourselves. Yes, I’m still seething...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
Sorry Bill yes I was really angry last night and generally a positive poster as you know and have been on this site for years

A bit more sanguine today but still really disappointed with selection coaching and ineptitude of team and disappointed that whilst a number of us here said this was a danger game our captain said we got ahead of ourselves after last week when we lost by 25 points

How does a side get ahead of themselves when they lead by 30 points last week early and then lose by 5 goals and the team has not won more than a handful of games in the last 4 years -unbelievable and what does that say about the culture of the club

Why didn't the leadership group during the week seek to squash this attitude and why didn't the coaching group sense this or try to guard against this happening and why given our performances in the last 3 years in these games weren't we right on and ready to run them off their legs

Why is Carlton the only team that Lynch continues to get a bag of goals against -

Disappointed that every time we take a few steps forward the next performance is 10 steps back

We need for our development and for our supporters to start winning these type of games

Youth and potential are dirty words if you are not mentally tough or don't play with grit and hardness

Watched all matches this round and it is obvious that with the Bulldogs we are the worst side in the competition after 2 rounds

Too many excuses for this side time is running out -more first round draft picks on the list than almost any other side and whilst not the only test really indicates output of this group isn't nearly good or competent enough
No need to apologize.
Understand the frustration... I've mentioned a few times that we lack 'mongrel'. We just don't show the 'no compromise, at all costs' attitude on the field.

Go you good things

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hell, thank goodness I don’t have some of you guys in the trenches next to me..

Our JLT form was very encouraging with 2 wins, had Tigs on the run then down goes Kennedy and Kreuzer before half time and Tigs take control and get the points. Yes, like most of us, I could handle that. With a fragile and young midfield collection, their loss was crucial for us y’day. That’s life in the AFL, we just have to suck it up.

Weitering with 26 touches in his first game back was virtually BOG v Hawks only 2 matches ago! 2 matches! Settle him back and just keep him there!

Yes, yes, yes, as BV said, we failed abysmally in the coaching stakes and selections y’day, let’s hope we learn from that. Bolts is way better than that.

The lack of effort/skill was above the shoulders and I think the big build up into Rd1 was too much for this young group, the focus was lost coming into y’day.

Missing y’day who are best 22 certs or who could help address the glaring issues of y’day:

Kennedy
Kreuzer
Lang
Williamson
Pickett
A.Silvagni
J. Silvagni
Macreadie
McKay

Docherty - well in 2019 anyway.

I have hope, I hope that doesn’t interfere with the gloom and doom narrative around here.

The likes of O’Shea, Mullett, Polson were in only because of that list above and we had no other FIT and MATCH READY rucks to help Levi.

Settle Weits to FB and put Liam back to 2’s - this would also help the footy IQ of this group immensely.

Chin up, Pies game can’t come quick enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:38 pm 
Bob Chitty

Well said Blues Clues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

So now it's Jones who's at fault, or maybe it's the stupid directive of those innovative coaching that have our defenders standing 10m off and in front his men for two games so we can improve our offence :roll:
Jones has come a long way and last year was no fluke but give it time and he and the other back men will all be viewed as pathetic if this structure continues
The coach's failed the players on the weekend and the playing group just rolled with it.
This has been our problem for the last 15 years, someone makes a mistake then no one takes ownership.
This needs to change and change immediately or we will destroy or lose the next crop of our future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hear you Blues Clues and I think you’re right.
There were some baffling decisions by MC/coaches box - as BV articulated with the insight we all appreciate - that contributed to the performance.
But know where Frank’s coming from.
I always saw out a game - even in the Pagan years - in the hope of seeing something from one of the kids - usually Tex. But not yday.
Second game in and I’d had a gutful.
Not expecting miracles this year l, especially missing two of our best three players, but as others have noted this so went to script. Why not throw Jones fwd FFS?!
We’ll probably be ok when we get a few back and if we don’t lose too many more. The club is slowly building a list and I applaud the approach ... but geez it’s been a long time in the wilderness and so over that gut wrenching feeling of disappointment and “here we go again”.
And it’s only two rounds in. Least it still hurts.

A win over the Filth might help ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

We have assembled some good young talent when we began the journey. Weitering, C Curnow, hopefully McKay, Fisher, Williamson, Petrevski-Seton, Marchbank, Dow. We need to add more. Geelong really started adding these sorts of players around 2000/01/02 and then got there in 2007. It takes time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

It does Verbs.
Problem is it took the club 15 years to work that out. Which is why we’re coming from so far back.
It’s struck me today (again) when Darling got three votes for West Coast on the radio ... and we took Matthew Watson :yikes:
The kids give us hope. We finally have some good ‘uns. And more than one.
Look fwd to when we’re debating where we will finish in the eight, instead of which low draft pick SOS gets to play with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Like most Carlton supporters, still brooding a little over that horrible performance.

I think my 3 greatest frustrations were:
The 'soft' start that allowed uncertain, interstate opposition to gain confidence.
The unwillingness to make scoring difficult, especially for the major opposition threat (in Lynch). I would have thought after last year, we'd have learnt what every other opposition side has learnt. (It's a little like allowing Dayne Zorko a free run every time you play against Brisbane. :mad: )
And the unspeakably horrible ball handling errors (in marking, ground balls, and handballs especially).

It's not so much the losing. I wasn't expecting many more wins than last year (with the loss of Gibbs and Docherty). But a lot of hope and good will was 'lost' with that passive, stupid and ugly performance.

Even though I'm expecting a pretty significant bounce-back next week. I reckon there'll be even more Carlton supporters missing next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
We have assembled some good young talent when we began the journey. Weitering, C Curnow, hopefully McKay, Fisher, Williamson, Petrevski-Seton, Marchbank, Dow. We need to add more. Geelong really started adding these sorts of players around 2000/01/02 and then got there in 2007. It takes time.

Agree about patience, and we do have some good kids. SPS already looks like one of our best, 2 games into his second season.

I worry about weitering, but not so much about the kid's talent or application. He can't get a consistent run down back, when imo, he should be the first picked to take their best and let him learn and develop with that continuity.

the only question for me: Is bolton the guy to take us there? three seasons in, and serving that unimaginative dross up in round 2 is hard to cop.

When lynch has 6 goals at halftime, and you have a loose cannon with zero footy IQ like jones on him. and then up the other end you have weitering – a number 1 draft pick for his defence – not leading into space, not leading to the ball - the two fundamental first things you should be doing as a key forward.

and Bolton's HT reaction was to remain on the same course with two KPP's in over their head, and it never occurs to him to swap?

At least try it for half a quarter and see if jones can take a grab and kick a goal, and force GC into changing their defence from the flooded zone into man-on??

i'd rather bolton have rolled the dice and tried something, then slowly watch us be killed off with his hands in his pockets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:48 am 
Garry Crane

A game beast forgotten we were horrendous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am 
Vale 1953-2020

sandramcd67 wrote:
A game beast forgotten we were horrendous
We don't have to bring Liam Jones into EVERY thread, do we?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Sorry Bill yes I was really angry last night and generally a positive poster as you know and have been on this site for years

A bit more sanguine today but still really disappointed with selection coaching and ineptitude of team and disappointed that whilst a number of us here said this was a danger game our captain said we got ahead of ourselves after last week when we lost by 25 points

How does a side get ahead of themselves when they lead by 30 points last week early and then lose by 5 goals and the team has not won more than a handful of games in the last 4 years -unbelievable and what does that say about the culture of the club

Why didn't the leadership group during the week seek to squash this attitude and why didn't the coaching group sense this or try to guard against this happening and why given our performances in the last 3 years in these games weren't we right on and ready to run them off their legs

Why is Carlton the only team that Lynch continues to get a bag of goals against -

Disappointed that every time we take a few steps forward the next performance is 10 steps back

We need for our development and for our supporters to start winning these type of games

Youth and potential are dirty words if you are not mentally tough or don't play with grit and hardness

Watched all matches this round and it is obvious that with the Bulldogs we are the worst side in the competition after 2 rounds

Too many excuses for this side time is running out -more first round draft picks on the list than almost any other side and whilst not the only test really indicates output of this group isn't nearly good or competent enough
No need to apologize.
Understand the frustration... I've mentioned a few times that we lack 'mongrel'. We just don't show the 'no compromise, at all costs' attitude on the field.

Go you good things[/quote]

love the word sanguine!
football is in between the ears,
this in between the ears is filled with statistics that tell us we're playing well,
and if you do this or that we'll win next week.
our players and coaching staff forgot all the adjectives that you need which describe your character that at times we showed against the Tigers that were absent against the Suns.
we are a young team, so we are young between the ears, stop listening too much too tactics and realise we have to be tough in the clinches and at the contested ball, beyond that there is nothing more we can do.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:

No need to apologize.

Go you good things[/quote]

love the word sanguine!
this in between the ears is filled with statistics that tell us we're playing well,
our players and coaching staff forgot all the adjectives that you need which describe your character that at times we showed against the Tigers that were absent against the Suns.
we are a young team, so we are young between the ears, stop listening too much too tactics and realise we have to be tough in the clinches and at the contested ball, beyond that there is nothing more we can do.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

we are a young team, so we are young between the ears, stop listening too much to tactics and realise we have to be tough in the clinches and at the contested ball, beyond that there is nothing more we can do.
listen to the indicators? listen to your heart beat in the first quarter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:33 pm 
Bert Deacon

I reckon we would be lucky to have a tenth of the intensity of the hawks and cats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

Question...............Jarrod Lyon.Is he he the ex Crow we knocked back in the Gibbs deal ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Question...............Jarrod Lyon.Is he he the ex Crow we knocked back in the Gibbs deal ?

AFL Player Ratings
‏ @AFLPlayerRating
2h2 hours ago

At the end of Round 2 Jarryd Lyons has become the second @GoldCoastSUNS player after Gary Ablett to crack the top-20 of the Official AFL Player Ratings overall standings, moving up from 22nd to 19th.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:

Yep. He did a job on us Saturday Mick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next