Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 am 
Ken Hunter

They played with belief and confidence.

We did not.

So many of our players are 50/50 at best when kicking for goal.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 am 
Rod Ashman

We are terrible in moving the ball in to our forward line. Struggle to link more than three disposals in one movement. Disposal is well below the required standard to win games. Really lack leadership on the ground when most of our leaders turn the ball over or struggle with the basics of the game. We have conceded we are losers and accept it to easily. Not enough fight and there seems to be a loser mentality within the group - it's like we expect to lose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
How many years do we have to put up with this crap

This team is a disgrace pathetic effort most of us predicted this last week we knew it was going to happen -happened last year

Let's not let Bolton off he needs to do better
Pathetic that we are 5 goals behind at quarter time
Stop torturing us
Stop being insipid
Stop it supporters are leaving in droves for god sake do something

I have been supporting this side for 50 years plus and I have to put up with this crap Im getting to the stage I want to jump off
Complete crap

I cancelled the Annual Family Holiday overseas. This year it was USA because the kids felt the Blues would improve with another preseason and a few coming back from injury, plus they wan to see Blues at new Perth Stadium and we haven't gone to Adelaide since new stadium. We decided we will do all the Interstate games plus a few in Melbourne we usually would see.

I'm hearing you frank, but I'm not yet regretting the decision to change travel plans, because I'm hoping the players will realise they dropped the ball today and there's time to redeem.

All they have to do is get the @#$%&! nut, and do the basics properly.
Hunt in packs....those who are fit enough.

...and @#$%&! me Lamb, just after I paid you a compliment in match day thread, you miss a standard 40 metre shot at goal to stifle our momentum. Embarssing.

Jeez, Bondi.
I live next door to the USA and only go there when I have to.
A family holiday in the UA and watching Carlton go down without a whimper are not that far apart IMHO.

I am on the side of those who think we played with a lack of effort and skill last night.
I am wondering how we have given up 100 points in consecutive weks when last year we were harder to score against.
I am wondering how the MC thought Polson was going to be a sensible sub for Kreuzer.
Most of all I am wondering why I just didn't turn it off and go to bed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:28 am 
Robert Walls

It's only week 2, and already I feel like parking myself in the list management / who should we sack thread.
Depressing.

Cmon blues!!

Take it up to those filthy pies next week and show us what you're really made of

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
I’ll try and be better. If the game was over at half time, when Lamb hadn’t missed for goal mid way through the third we would’ve been under 10 points behind. “all the damage” certainly wasn’t done in the first half.

Cripps wasn’t neutered by Holman. Of his 20 contested possession he had about half of them in the first half and should’ve kicked two goals.

we were never going to pull back a 26 point lead. at 26-nil, we were done.

we're not richmond.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:12 am 
Craig Bradley

And yet despite the absolute crap that was served up yesterday. If we'd managed to control Lynch, we'd have been in the game. After the initial burst, Lynch kicked 6 goals in a row! 6 goals in a row! 6 goals in a row!

What the heck was going on with Jones yesterday? And why couldn't we double-team Lynch? We might not have won. But at least we would have made it far harder for the opposition. That's twice in 12 months we've fallen for the same mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:18 am 
Craig Bradley

And it's not always easy to tell when watching on tv. But did we bring in O'Shea to play as an outside midfielder yesterday? :yikes: Surely that's one role he can't possibly play. I know he wasn't the only one. But some of his kicks into forward 50 were horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:20 am 
Craig Bradley

Also looked like we had Wright playing chf yesterday. :yikes: Or is that just the way it seemed, with Casboult rucking and Weitering unwilling to compete/contest at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 am 
Robert Walls

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
I feel for Weitering. Parked at FF first half. Delivery abysmal.

Agreed
As bad as he was, he was given no opportunity to turn his fortunes or that of the team's around
Our F50 entries are stomach churning
It's either a case where they have at least 2 spare defenders in there and and they take it away or it appears as though the whole 36 players are in our F50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 am 
Rod Ashman

bluedog wrote:
eric pascoe wrote:
The litmus test of any team is to look at their bottom 4

We could rattle off 15 today.

Being there today, you just got the feeling that they all had no collective idea. Hopefully this is our one barry crocker, like the Port game last year.

I am really worried about Weitering

Was playing as if he has relationship problems.

He's having personal issues with leather.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Also looked like we had Wright playing chf yesterday. :yikes: Or is that just the way it seemed, with Casboult rucking and Weitering unwilling to compete/contest at the moment.

That's what it looked like.

He was on strike somewhere between the ears.

Not a good sign, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:06 am 
Adrian Gallagher

MPH78 wrote:
Sobering to say the least.

We dished up exactly the sort of performance those that watch us closely feared. That in itself is a massive failure.

Our skill level today was abysmal. As was our work rate, intensity, tackling, pressure and our defence in general.

Regardless of personnel out, to serve that up in round 2 imho is highly concerning.

Any (perceived) positivity generated from round 1 has fully evaporated. Much like my enthusiasm for the season.

Extremely deflated.

That

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

99prelim wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
I feel for Weitering. Parked at FF first half. Delivery abysmal.

Agreed
As bad as he was, he was given no opportunity to turn his fortunes or that of the team's around
Our F50 entries are stomach churning
It's either a case where they have at least 2 spare defenders in there and and they take it away or it appears as though the whole 36 players are in our F50

one particular play I noticed...we were kicking from hff. JW in the square....at least 10 suns in the hole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 am 
Serge Silvagni

As I said last week after going to the Richmond game, we have some fantastic athletes, but our footy smarts and skills let us down. The same again against the Suns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 am 
Ken Hunter

Okay - I’ll be honest, as I’m still furious with what I saw yesterday.
GC pressure was immense, better than Richmond’s. Apart from 1 or 2, we sh1t ourselves and didn’t want to commit to the contest. I forgot how many times our ball carriers either hanballed quickly or kicked long with no composure just to get rid of the ball and so contact didn’t happen. 1 of our KP forwards even refused to lead so he didn’t have to compete for the contested ball!
I’m absolutely disheartened as it doesn’t matter how many players we turn over, it’s just similar every flowering year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Bob Chitty

Just watched the replay of the first quarter.
It was not good.
Actually worse than I thought.
Skill errors horrific.
Simmo and Murph did not set great examples with their disposals or ball handling in first quarter.
Jones goes to ground too often.
Not sure if he was on Lynch that quarter but if he was he was totally undisciplined.
Talk about bomb into forward line. Laughable.
Might venture onto second quarter after a sedative.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Just read the review of the game in the Age. "Their (Carlton) skill errors were almost unfathomable". The article goes on to talk of being unable to hit a target "whether because of sloppy kicking, dropped marks or through other turnovers".

What does this say of our club? Surely these players can't have reached the pinnacle of Australian Rules Football without the ability to kick, handball or hold marks. The problem has to be between the ears. Sure, players aren't robots, they make mistakes, their performances will vary, but why oh why have we the supporters been bemoaning our players skill levels such as were on display against GC for so long? Loser mentality? Bad coaching? I don't know, but something is seriously wrong within our club. This has been going on for way, way too long. High draft picks for years now, and think of all the ex Carlton players forging careers at other clubs. I despair.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

doofdoof wrote:
Braithy wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I hated today’s result. Hated it.

But I am not surprised by it.

We only have 3 x A-Grade players on our list currently in their prime. Cripps, Doc & Kreuzer.

Those supporters expecting us to win more than 6 games this year (probably the same supporters flagellating the club tonight) need to think again, especially if the Kreuzer injury is a long term one.

To be clear, I don’t think the team should be excused for a poor performance; but take a serious look at the side we fielded today- 12 players with less than 50 games; Cripps; and the remaining 9 players are veterans nearing the end or C and D grade stop gaps.

When Dow, SPS, Charlie, Fisher, Kennedy, Weitering & Marchbank are fully fledged bona fides then I can see us winning more games. Until then, I can almost promise you it will continue to be a roller coaster ride.

I'm not so sure ... good coaches get the best out of their team. they develop the list into bonafides.

Hinkley put port on the map, a team hotly considered for the spoon that year.

Beveridge did it with the bulldogs in a year most had bulldogs as an outside top 8 team.

Dew seems to pushing what many thought was a bottom 4 GC team (without ablett) into the upper reaches already.

my point is, this is year 3 of bolton. And we haven't developed dramatically. Our skills haven't progressed, we still seem unsure of the gameplan. we're out tackled & out run every game. and with the gameplan. We have a plan A, but never a B or C. all signs point towards coaching as our achilles.

i hate saying it, but bolton could be a career assistant coach. he excels in the peripheral coaching aspects, but being the gameday coach, the one who has to adjust and think on the run. he looks in over his head.

living up here on the GC, Dew is as impressive as i've seen. At one point we had a choice between Dew and Bolton, and chose the latter. makes me wonder what if. i mean look at what bolton got out of holman, and in JLT and the early season so far, Dew has eclipsed that with his output from holman.

holman did a job on cripps today.

Don’t make shit up to make your argument better
Holman was gone before Bolts got there

And if I’m not mistaken Dew never put up his hand for our senior coach job?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yeah I thought he pulled out in the first round because Longmire said he was not ready.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

A little side not3 but, I’m amazed how many other teams can adjust to new coaches game plans over 1 summer but not us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next