Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

I feel like we haven’t got things structurally right so far this year, caused in part by injuries to key players, but today for me the bigger issue was skill execution and clean hands (or lack thereof).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
We rolled the dice at selection and it didn't work. I don't mind the coaches trying different strategies, in fact, I'd encourage it but you have to be able to adapt if it's not working.
At the game it was obvious we were going in with a short forward line with Charlie, an out of form Weitering and a bunch of midgets. Our plan appeared to be running the ball, linking with handball and hitting up the leads. The trouble is Gold Coast didn't play along with our plan and their pressure at the contests and the dominance of Witts saw us continually under pressure.
We needed to change it up at quarter time and we did Jack Shit. We kept banging our heads against wall kicking the ball inside 50,only to see it coming back out with interest.

After an uneventful and unproductive first half, it was well overdue to change up the structure and push some size inside forward 50. Jones was the perfect candidate yet the same shit continued.
Consider the circumstances. At half time we've had 37 inside 50s to 23. Yet we've had 9 shots to 13. Weitering was offering nothing and Charlie was being swamped whenever we went forward of centre. Not only were getting no value from our forward line. The ball was coming out at pace giving our defenders little hope. Compounding the problem, we had to abandon the loose defender because Gold Coast pushed their spare to the stoppages so they started to dominate there as well.
With our team selection, Dew and his coaches were able to dictate the game and our coaches were chasing their arses all day.
The selection of Polson was bizzare. Last week in the VFL he had 8 possessions, 2 inside 50s and 2 clearances. Not exactly banging the door down.

We were adventurous at selection but our strategic rigidity during the game was costly. The very few times Casboult was able to drift forward, he attracted the tall defenders and Charlie and the other forwards were finally afforded some room.
At half time Dale Amos was interviewed. He said our set ups were working well. WTF is that? We had 37 inside 50s to 23 yet we were 28 points to 55! What part of the forward set up was working well? It was a @#$%&! up by the coaches and they didn't have the capacity to fix it.
We needed a ruckman. Phillips, TDK, whoever. Charlies not ready to be the main banana against top shelf defenders and nor he should be expected to. We still need Casboult to do the heavy lifting. Charlies time will come but he's not physically ready yet.

So in the end we've had more ball, 17 more inside 50s and we've lost by 34 points.
Does it really sound like our set ups were working well?
I love Bolts and I think his coaching crew are excellent but they had a pig today. I dont mind the strategy but I didn't appreciate the lack of imagination once the ball was bounced. We went in too 1 dimensional and when it started to hurt us (which was always a possibility) the coaches needed to step up. They didnt.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
We rolled the dice at selection and it didn't work. I don't mind the coaches trying different strategies, in fact, I'd encourage it but you have to be able to adapt if it's not working.
At the game it was obvious we were going in with a short forward line with Charlie, an out of form Weitering and a bunch of midgets. Our plan appeared to be running the ball, linking with handball and hitting up the leads. The trouble is Gold Coast didn't play along with our plan and their pressure at the contests and the dominance of Witts saw us continually under pressure.
We needed to change it up at quarter time and we did Jack Shit. We kept banging our heads against wall kicking the ball inside 50,only to see it coming back out with interest.

After an uneventful and unproductive first half, it was well overdue to change up the structure and push some size inside forward 50. Jones was the perfect candidate yet the same shit continued.
Consider the circumstances. At half time we've had 37 inside 50s to 23. Yet we've had 9 shots to 13. Weitering was offering nothing and Charlie was being swamped whenever we went forward of centre. Not only were getting no value from our forward line. The ball was coming out at pace giving our defenders little hope. Compounding the problem, we had to abandon the loose defender because Gold Coast pushed their spare to the stoppages so they started to dominate there as well.
With our team selection, Dew and his coaches were able to dictate the game and our coaches were chasing their arses all day.
The selection of Polson was bizzare. Last week in the VFL he had 8 possessions, 2 inside 50s and 2 clearances. Not exactly banging the door down.

We were adventurous at selection but our strategic rigidity during the game was costly. The very few times Casboult was able to drift forward, he attracted the tall defenders and Charlie and the other forwards were finally afforded some room.
At half time Dale Amos was interviewed. He said our set ups were working well. WTF is that? We had 37 inside 50s to 23 yet we were 28 points to 55! What part of the forward set up was working well? It was a @#$%&! up by the coaches and they didn't have the capacity to fix it.
We needed a ruckman. Phillips, TDK, whoever. Charlies not ready to be the main banana against top shelf defenders and nor he should be expected to. We still need Casboult to do the heavy lifting. Charlies time will come but he's not physically ready yet.

So in the end we've had more ball, 17 more inside 50s and we've lost by 34 points.
I love Bolts and I think his coaching crew are excellent but they had a pig today. I dont mind the strategy but I didn't appreciate the lack of imagination once the ball was bounced. We went in too 1 dimensional and when it started to hurt us (which was always a possibility) the coaches needed to step up. They didnt.
But BV it is not about Wins or Losses this is not how we are going to assess improvement.
Small shoots , baby steps , we wont get to high or low.

This is the culture we have in the club.
It is ok to lose as long as we all learn from that.
But guess what we never learn.
It is the same tripe week in week out year in year out.
There is a foul stench coming from the club and it has been there for years.
The players accept losing.
The coaches think that they have things right and accept losing.
The administration says we are not measured by wins
Supporters think we will lose and are talking about trades and draft picks before the seasons starts. They excuse the losses and say we are developing. But we never develop.
It all sits there and unfolds before your eyes and nothing is ever done about it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
But BV it is not about Wins or Losses this is not how we are going to assess improvement.

Supporters think we will lose and are talking about trades and draft picks before the seasons starts. They excuse the losses and say we are developing. But we never develop.
It all sits there and unfolds before your eyes and nothing is ever done about it

Bingo. :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

You probably need a new hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:31 pm 
Bob Chitty

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I am livid with how bad we were today. But you are ignoring the current message from the club and harking back to last year.

Bolton: The coaches and players are pretty frustrated with today.
Bolton: We had 67 inside-50s, but just made way too many mistakes.
Bolton: Fumbles and errors really hurt us.
Bolton: We need to build time together with this group so they can click.
Bolton: Our players can fix this, and they will. There were some uncharacteristic mistakes made today.
Bolton: We're really positive that Kreuzer will be able to play next week.
Bolton: I'm hopeful Kennedy will also be OK for next week.
Bolton: O'Shea has a real crack and always gives effort.

Nothing Bolts said tonight says it's not about Wins or Losses, Small shoots , baby steps , we wont get to high or low.

The message is frustrated, too many mistakes, fumbles and errors hurt us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

He forgot selections and setups.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 pm 
Robert Walls

Mots87 wrote:
He could always stand down if he's not happy.

Wouldn't worry me if he did.

Would be his defining act of real leadership if he did...put the team first

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Crippa wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I am livid with how bad we were today. But you are ignoring the current message from the club and harking back to last year.

Bolton: The coaches and players are pretty frustrated with today.
Bolton: We had 67 inside-50s, but just made way too many mistakes.
Bolton: Fumbles and errors really hurt us.
Bolton: We need to build time together with this group so they can click.
Bolton: Our players can fix this, and they will. There were some uncharacteristic mistakes made today.
Bolton: We're really positive that Kreuzer will be able to play next week.
Bolton: I'm hopeful Kennedy will also be OK for next week.
Bolton: O'Shea has a real crack and always gives effort.

Nothing Bolts said tonight says it's not about Wins or Losses, Small shoots , baby steps , we wont get to high or low.

The message is frustrated, too many mistakes, fumbles and errors hurt us.

Can't wait for it to click.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:08 pm 
Horrie Clover

The litmus test of any team is to look at their bottom 4

We could rattle off 15 today.

Being there today, you just got the feeling that they all had no collective idea. Hopefully this is our one barry crocker, like the Port game last year.

I am really worried about Weitering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 pm 
Bob Chitty

Me too Eric.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

eric pascoe wrote:
The litmus test of any team is to look at their bottom 4

We could rattle off 15 today.

Being there today, you just got the feeling that they all had no collective idea. Hopefully this is our one barry crocker, like the Port game last year.

I am really worried about Weitering

Was playing as if he has relationship problems.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 pm 
Robert Walls

To all of you who have torn shreds off the players and coaches, I agree 100% (particularly frank d)

They honestly thought that we had the extra couple of days break and that GC would have heavy legs and therefore it would be a stroll in the park.

They are weak weak weak mentally. Look back at my post the other night and I said that if Carl brought their A (mental) game, they would win.

Bolton is carrying on about the side needing time together. Let's see how well he holds to that line when one or both of Cunningham and Polson get dropped. They both need exposure at AFL level

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

ONLY WARNING

As you all know we mods prefer the "ninja" method and to not make bold "do or do not" proclamations. So I will only say this once.

We're all pissed off with today's performance and need to vent, but two things won't be tolerated from this point on
- Personal attacks against other posters
- Insults against our players (criticising effort or ability is one thing, calling players "flowering pricks" is another entirely).

This is the only warning, and if we spot it happening, vacations will follow.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
What’s people’s honest assessment of Cam Polson ?

Too light, too small, couldn't stick a tackle, not quick enough....not going to blame him for his handling errors and lack of poise in only his 2nd game

I remember people saying the same about Fisher last year. They were wrong then and you're wrong now about Polson, the problem was not a second gamer who laid more tackles than all but 3 other guys out there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I feel for Weitering. Parked at FF first half. Delivery abysmal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

Very disappointed.

Talk of forward pressure, the delivery into the forward line and delivery around the ground was very poor. At stoppages we missed kreuzer, but they just ran away from us.

We played with little conviction today and it makes me wonder where is the commitment in 2018 is going to come from?

Next week we have another chance.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluedog wrote:
Was playing as if he has relationship problems.

He looks disinterested, which leads me to think, he is looking elsewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

How fast can Weitering run?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

I'm really shocked to be sitting here. I really liked Gibbs as a footballer, but this board told me he was a rubbish leader, soft over the ball and weak of mind and spirit, and we would be a far better side without him. Then he gets traded and we still can't beat Gold Coast. They got rid of Ablett and if worked for them. It's all very confusing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next