Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

AGRO wrote:
It was stupid to risk Kreuzer in the last quarter- we’d have been better of with Casboult in the ruck and send Weitering up forward

Runner came out half way through the last and clearly told Wietering to go up forward. He hesitated and the runner told him again. Pointing and waving vigorously. Wietering ran 10 meters towards the forward line and waited for runner to go and then ran back into defence. Tigers surged forward and kicked a goal. So MAYBE he read the play and tried to get back to help.

I'm obviously a 100m away in the stands so can't hear what is being said but that was my read on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I thought we erred at selection. Playing Marchbank, Plowman, Jones and Weitering in the backline really hurt us. Byrne and Simpson were our small defenders with Mullet on the wing.
I'd rather Cuningham as an extra small defender, especially against the Richmond small forward line.
We allowed Richmond to be proactive by accepting Townsends job on Jones. Instead we should have pushed Jones to Riewoldt. Weitering didnt really have a match up and could have gone forward. Especially once Casboult was pushed into the ruck,
Plowman had to play on the smalls when he was probably better suited to Townsend. The extra tall defenders reduced our flexibility significantly.

Silvagni had a shocker and unfortunately reasonable footy smarts aren't enough when you don't have any other strengths. Having him and Lamb up forward makes us too slow up front.

Positives? Cripps obviously, Marchbank is super courageous, Charlie, Kreuz, Fisher (I love this kids smarts).
The commentators have carried on about our accuracy but its not an accident. The way we played JLT and again tonight, we're hitting up within 30 metres of goal and in the corridor. Richmond were often forced wide which contributed to trheir inaccuracy.
We'll win plenty of games by having less inside 50s. Its not a weakness but more a strategic style of ball movement,
We are very exciting at times, we just have to hone our faster style of game.
Get Byrne to run into space instead of running to the defender and then trying to evade him would be a good start.

Hopefully Kennedy comes up. He's huge value to us.

Injuries should save a couple of players from the axe this week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just home from the game. Good effort but one that got away.
Very poor games by Jones., Byrne, Weitering, SOS, Casboult and Murphy.
Not sure what the injury to Kennedy is but we missed him and the loss of a rotation.
Hope Kreuzer is okay.
They can hold their heads up.
Cripps is a super star.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Home from the game. Was really entertaining until Richmond found their way in the last. I'm old school and have been following Carlton since the 70s and I have to say athletic wise the young guys of today would run rings around footballers of old. But, footy wise, a lot of guys on both sides leave a lot to be desired. Footy smarts and skills win games. That's what I've always thought, and we seem to be lacking in that department. I could go into details on what I seen tonight but whats the point. All I'll say is we've got some brilliant athletes wearing the navy blue, but as far as footy smarts and skills go ...can you teach them that? I don't know.

Also it seems we've got a really even spread but no real match winners. Towards the end of the last quarter I was almost hoping to see Juddy break free from the pack and slot one through. Cripps kind of looks like one who could be that type of player, yet at times he looked slow compared to those around him. Charlie C could also be this type of player in the future, he has a presence out there, an almost anything could happen when the ball goes his way. Almost shades of the great Kouta in patches.
I got to watch Murphy closely, he makes some really bad decisions at times. He's not vocal and just goes about his business. Captain material? I'm not so sure.

The umpiring sucked. I don't know what the plan of the AFL is, but if destroying this game is their goal, their doing a splendid job of it. Talk about confusing. I could hear people around me asking what for, what's happening, you didn't know whether to cheer for a free kick or boo as it was hard to tell who it was going to.
Richmond supporters being Richmond supporters, what can I say, their a breed unto their own that lot. On a side note, I don't know how nature does it, but for a toothless, brainless bunch, they've managed to produce some fine looking lady supporters. Nature is funny like that sometimes :lol:

We lost yes, but I enjoyed the game. We're going to be better this season. Baring injury and bad form, I think we'll give a few sides some headaches this year. We move quick and yes we faded out in the end, but that's to be expected at this stage. We gave a reigning premiers a shake and that's a good sign. Blooded some kids and didn't get flogged. Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:17 pm 
Bob Chitty

Overall I'm heading home generally happy.

Pros
I thought Gartlett had a good first game. Two goals in the first. Finished with three I think.
Fish
Charlie was significant and will grow in confidence from that.
Cripps overhead marking continues to improve and was great.
Our kicking accuracy.
Our speed.
SPS had a couple of great cameos
Dasiey was ok.
Wright just simply gets to the right spots. Smart footballer.

Cons
Way too many second half taps to the advantage of Richmond players
Several incidents of tunnelling by Richmond not called.
Murphy didn't have a single damaging disposal I can recall.
The delivery to Casbolt. The big bloke lead exceptionally well and our mids kept putting it over his head just out of reach. It's was clearly noticeable at the ground.

I'm happy.

GO BLUES!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Taff wrote:
Don't really want to bag him but Murphy, as a leader, just not up to it. Hope that effort is not the norm for the season.
Was that from being at the game or overseas? I watched his work tonight and it's vastly different at the ground then on TV. Never stopped trying, always tried to create, successful or otherwise I couldn't question his effort.

Reading the live thread was like reading "whinge about our players here"....... I don't get it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 pm 
John Nicholls

Just home from game.

Bitchmond new we would beat them in the air when the ball went long into their attacking 50. Time after time they prevented our 2nd defender from launching at the ball, which is a very important part of our defence. It's blocking any day of the week, and it should result in a free kick but the umpires never once paid it.

So much more to say but much of it has been said.

Also, Murphy looks cooked, not just as a tackler but even with the ball his decision making and disposal were always a fraction too slow and a fraction too imprecise. Which against the Premiers doesn't bode well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Don't want to bag the kid but Paddy Dow's disposal is a bit of a worry. Didn't hit the target too many times and the bit in the last quarter where he kicked over the leading Kreuzer's head was very costly, resulting in a goal down the other end.

It's a big ask stepping into an atmosphere like that in your first game though. He'll only get better hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 pm 
Bob Chitty

kingkerna wrote:
Taff wrote:
Don't really want to bag him but Murphy, as a leader, just not up to it. Hope that effort is not the norm for the season.
Was that from being at the game or overseas? I watched his work tonight and it's vastly different at the ground then on TV. Never stopped trying, always tried to create, successful or otherwise I couldn't question his effort.

Reading the live thread was like reading "whinge about our players here"....... I don't get it

I was at the game. His decision making was poor. He was slow with ball in hand. Making a good effort isn't good enough. Trying isn't good enough. Captains do more than try.

Last edited by Crippa on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Nicholls

kingkerna wrote:
Taff wrote:

From the comfort of my expert armchair in Beijing. I get the being at the game thing but earlier posters who were at the game tended to agree with my comments. I have watched him live on trips back home over the years and had not been impressed each time. He can play but not a leader.

Robert Walls

Pros :
-Cripps
-Wright
-Charlie
-SPS
-Garlett
-Mullett
-Simpson
-Marchbank

Cons:
-Silvagni (probably his worst game?)
-Weitering
-Byrne
-Lamb
-Dow (didn't seem ready)
- Casboult
-our tackling
-our forward pressure
-injuries

Didn't see much of Kennedy, but it was pretty clear that he's important in our structure as a support to Cripps

Great game.
The injuries hurt, the balance of the team selection was slightly off imo, and we didn't execute our defence in the forward half. If we fixed a couple of those their inside 50s would have dried up a bit and we win

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Pros... Simpson BOG

Cons..... Tigers clearly adopting hawthorn's unsociable footy style, take a mark against them and be prepared for a knee in the back, fly to punch as a defender and be prepared to be dangerously tunnelled, kick the ball away and be prepared to be slammed.

I'm glad we stood up to them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
Just home from game.

Also, Murphy looks cooked, not just as a tackler but even with the ball his decision making and disposal were always a fraction too slow and a fraction too imprecise. Which against the Premiers doesn't bode well.

Yep, cooked. Hasn’t won a B&F for at least 6 months now. Pitiful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

I went tonight so saw the skill errors live. So many missed targets by hand were super frustrating.

36 scoring shots to 20 meant we got off lightly IMHO. We tried but we could have been beaten by 8-10 quite easily.

I agree with BV. To top heavy down back. Weiters or Marchbank could have pushed forward at some stage when Charlie was off the ground and Levi was in the ruck.

I not sure Crippa will last 22 games if he has to carry the onballers every week. :eek: :eek:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 pm 
Robert Walls

kingkerna wrote:
Pros... Simpson BOG

Cons..... Tigers clearly adopting hawthorn's unsociable footy style, take a mark against them and be prepared for a knee in the back, fly to punch as a defender and be prepared to be dangerously tunnelled, kick the ball away and be prepared to be slammed.

I'm glad we stood up to them

Yes it was brilliant to see the look of shock and surprise on conca's face when all the blues got stuck into him after his head high bump on Murphy. He wasn't expecting it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 pm 
John Nicholls

cecil89 wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Just home from game.

Yep, cooked. Hasn’t won a B&F for at least 6 months now. Pitiful.

Would not have been any where near it if Cripps had stayed fit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
I went tonight so saw the skill errors live. So many missed targets by hand were super frustrating.

36 scoring shots to 20 meant we got off lightly IMHO. We tried but we could have been beaten by 8-10 quite easily.

I agree with BV. To top heavy down back. Weiters or Marchbank could have pushed forward at some stage when Charlie was off the ground and Levi was in the ruck.

I not sure Crippa will last 22 games if he has to carry the onballers every week. :eek: :eek:

Regards Cazzesman

Weitering and Marchbank can’t play in the backline together.
Last year early
Marchbank great Weitering Rubbish
Late
Marchbank injured Weitering great
Both want same role.
Marchbank to the wing for me. He’s the more mobile player.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Recruited Kennedy and Lang for better midfield depth, but neither was there tonight (Kennedy for just over a qtr doesn’t count).
There’s instant improvement right there.
The side is screaming out for Paddy Kerr and Harry McKay to stand up and stake a claim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

I wonder if Richmond's tactic of backing into Jones to take him out of the aerial contest will catch on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Ponkstar wrote:
I wonder if Richmond's tactic of backing into Jones to take him out of the aerial contest will catch on.

Extremely dangerous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next