Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 am 
Rod Ashman

cecil89 wrote:
cortez wrote:
Rexy wrote:
KoRn wrote:
Taff wrote:
Don't really want to bag him but Murphy, as a leader, just not up to it. Hope that effort is not the norm for the season.

Saw him 3 times went for the bump instead of making a tackle, ended with only 1 tackle in the entire game.

bad shoulders, can't tackle

This.

This shitty debate comes up every year. No, Murphy isn’t going to rack up massive amounts of tackles, he’s not going to be a bull in the contest. That’s not his go. Never has been. He’ll take the hits when it’s his turn, but Murphy’s strength and toughness is in his willingness to gut run when others don’t. The stats were shown a couple times tonight, Murphy covers more ground than just about anyone. He does every week. His leadership is better now than it has ever been. The players respect it and have consistently voted him into the role. Let’s appreciate what we have, a classy player, a player who consistently runs hard, a player that has been loyal when not many others have.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stone Free wrote:
That passage of play early in the third quarter I think it was, where we ran the ball through the middle and got a goal.... that was a highlight for me.
Murphy at both ends of that play as I recall....
He played well,
BUT we need the mongrel element from an on field leader that I alluded to above. It's lacking atm.

Go you good things

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 am 
Bob Chitty

cecil89 wrote:
Taff wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Just home from game.

Also, Murphy looks cooked, not just as a tackler but even with the ball his decision making and disposal were always a fraction too slow and a fraction too imprecise. Which against the Premiers doesn't bode well.

Yep, cooked. Hasn’t won a B&F for at least 6 months now. Pitiful.

Would not have been any where near it if Cripps had stayed fit.

Not really, since Cripps was 5th in the voting at the time of his injury. Image

The fact he played several very good games last year and deserved his B&F isn't really the point. Focusing on the word "cooked" also really is t the point.

Several people believe his game last night was poor. 1 tackle for the game. Compared to the rest of the midfield of Cripps 7, Dow 5, SPS 5, Curnow 4. He got 20+ disposals but none stand out in my mind as damaging.

He's our captain. He will bounce back. He will finish well again in the B&F. But he had a poor game last night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:03 am 
Bob Chitty

billc3 wrote:
Stone Free wrote:
That passage of play early in the third quarter I think it was, where we ran the ball through the middle and got a goal.... that was a highlight for me.
Murphy at both ends of that play as I recall....
He played well,
BUT we need the mongrel element from an on field leader that I alluded to above. It's lacking atm.

Go you good things

Wright finished with the goal. Murph was in the chain in the middle. Fish with the long damaging kick to Wright.

Murph is best 22. He's best 10. He's our leader. Not the type on the field we all want but the club reappoints him every year for good reason. He's not perfect but he's ours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 am 
Rod Ashman

Taff wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Taff wrote:
Don't really want to bag him but Murphy, as a leader, just not up to it. Hope that effort is not the norm for the season.
Was that from being at the game or overseas? I watched his work tonight and it's vastly different at the ground then on TV. Never stopped trying, always tried to create, successful or otherwise I couldn't question his effort.

Reading the live thread was like reading "whinge about our players here"....... I don't get it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

From the comfort of my expert armchair in Beijing. I get the being at the game thing but earlier posters who were at the game tended to agree with my comments. I have watched him live on trips back home over the years and had not been impressed each time. He can play but not a leader.

And yet the players and coaching staff select him as Captain!!. I wonder whose judgement is based on fact rather than opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 am 
Bruce Doull

Ponkstar wrote:
I wonder if Richmond's tactic of backing into Jones to take him out of the aerial contest will catch on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cotchin one was glaringly obvious, pro-Richmond commentary team glossed over it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
Ponkstar wrote:
I wonder if Richmond's tactic of backing into Jones to take him out of the aerial contest will catch on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cotchin one was glaringly obvious, pro-Richmond commentary team glossed over it.

Nothing in the rules that says you can't back into your opponent. Its just that usually it is a backman doing it to a forward. And for those with football smarts there are easy ways to get around this.
Jones needs to curb his enthusiasm just a little or better give some of it to Weitering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 am 
Bruce Doull

We were expected to get smashed, and may have snuck a win if not for injuries.

Jack Riewoldt is a flog.
I'm already tired of the commentators fapping over Martin. Circle jerk every time he fends someone off but completely ignore him giving Thomas a two handed shove in the back into a marking contest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 am 
Craig Bradley

Cazzesman wrote:
So many missed targets by hand were super frustrating.

Regards Cazzesman

It's interesting. Because handballing is one of the easier skills, but we do seem to miss a lot more than we should. I assume that's partly adjusting to the new style of play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am 
Serge Silvagni

We should have lost that game by 10 goals or more.

We allowed a team to have 71 inside 50’s (AFL average is 51)
The tigers had 16 more scoring shots
28 scoring shots to 13 after quarter time
We kicked 7 goals from free kicks

If it weren’t for that first 5 minute goal blitz and the Tigers not kicking straight it would have been close to 100 points.

Charlie was a positive and so to Marchbank.
Cripps is a gun and I like the Kennedy and Cripps combo in the guts.
SPS was good early. Clean hands
I like that attacking style of play but it comes at a cost. Teams with speed will destroy us

Jack is a liability. Pickett takes his spot
Weitering is not a one on one defender. Marchbank has taken his role as that intercept defender.
Luck of pace off half back is a major problem.
2 veterans were out better players

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:40 am 
Craig Bradley

billc3 wrote:
Either it's a free or we start doing it. Same goes with pushing (with forearms?!) a player under the ball miles before the marking contest.

I've never quite understood why it works this way. But some players, like Rance, are basically allowed to do whatever they like. I think it's partly about reputation. But also just about how certain players 'look'. They look like 'fair' players. And so any hint of contact against them, and they get a free. But they're allowed to make as much contact with other players as they like. :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
It was stupid to risk Kreuzer in the last quarter- we’d have been better of with Casboult in the ruck and send Weitering up forward

Half agree.
Rance would have wiped his arse with Weitering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Either it's a free or we start doing it. Same goes with pushing (with forearms?!) a player under the ball miles before the marking contest.

I've never quite understood why it works this way. But some players, like Rance, are basically allowed to do whatever they like. I think it's partly about reputation. But also just about how certain players 'look'. They look like 'fair' players. And so any hint of contact against them, and they get a free. But they're allowed to make as much contact with other players as they like. :banghead:

Umpiring to reputation has been a thing for as long as I can remember.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am 
formerly BlueRob

Hmmm ... it should have been a 10 goal win to Richmond.

We played too tall down the back ... and once again could not stick our tackles. We need more speed in the side.

Oh yea ... terrible decision making.

Nonetheless, without injuries we would have been a lot closer.

Curnow bog imo. Cripps fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am 
Bruce Doull

BigBlueWave wrote:
Hmmm ... it should have been a 10 goal win to Richmond.

Seen this posted a couple of times and genuinely wondering why.
If it's because they were inaccurate in front of goal and had lots more forward 50 entries, then that's just bad footy and terrible efficiency.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am 
Harry Vallence

Lots to like. Certainly wasn't disappointed.

Some younger players had poor games, but it's only round 1, they'll bounce back.

Some younger players had absolutely outstanding and even breakout games...this is the exciting part.

Bring on next week, hopefully injuries aren't too bad across the board because I think there'll be a lot of pleasing viewing this season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am 
Bruce Doull

Oh yeah, just wanted to add that Grigg is a shit truck and it makes me embarrassed for the AFL as a whole that he's a premiership player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Last edited by Scotty12000 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Wojee wrote:
Oh yeah, just wanted to add that Grigg is a shit truck and it makes me embarrassed for the AFL as a whole that he's a premiership player.

Definitely a conversation we had last night, "worst premiership midfielder ever" was thrown around. Also it was a difficult decision for us to decide who was the worse Brownlow winner, Cotchin or Woewodin :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

trublu wrote:
We should have lost that game by 10 goals or more.

We allowed a team to have 71 inside 50’s (AFL average is 51)
The tigers had 16 more scoring shots
28 scoring shots to 13 after quarter time
We kicked 7 goals from free kicks

If it weren’t for that first 5 minute goal blitz and the Tigers not kicking straight it would have been close to 100 points.

Are you trying to justify your embarrassing prediction from earlier in the week?
Once again, you are demonstrating that you have no idea about the game. You cant disregard our first 5 goals.
Going by your logic, if it weren't for Richmond kicking their goals we would have won by 80 points. :lol:

FMD, I read some stupid stuff from football supporters but we have more than our share of uninformed nuffies as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next