Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 pm 
Serge Silvagni

moshe25 wrote:
trublu wrote:
We should have lost that game by 10 goals or more.

We allowed a team to have 71 inside 50’s (AFL average is 51)
The tigers had 16 more scoring shots
28 scoring shots to 13 after quarter time
We kicked 7 goals from free kicks

If it weren’t for that first 5 minute goal blitz and the Tigers not kicking straight it would have been close to 100 points.

Charlie was a positive and so to Marchbank.
Cripps is a gun and I like the Kennedy and Cripps combo in the guts.
SPS was good early. Clean hands
I like that attacking style of play but it comes at a cost. Teams with speed will destroy us

Jack is a liability. Pickett takes his spot
Weitering is not a one on one defender. Marchbank has taken his role as that intercept defender.
Luck of pace off half back is a major problem.
2 veterans were out better players

Quality, measured post as usual.

Thanks for reading my posts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Paddycripps wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
"I call BS" on the Carlton-shoulda-lost-by-10-goals argument, it's far too simplistic.

I don't recall Richmond missing many sitters, in fact most of the "wonder goals" were from Richmond, like Riewoldt scrubbing a left-footed soccer goal from the boundary. And their set shots were very accurate, especially whatshisface who's goaled with two-thirds of his possies as a Richmond player or whatever.

Nor do I recall us slotting any 50m shots from the boundary.

The fact is, our shots were high-percentage, many of Richmond's were low-percentage, because we attacked more centrally and more efficiently, and because Richmond lacked discipline around the protected zone rule (which I expect will be relaxed in the weeks to come, but was applied consistently if harshly). Looking at forward entries and scoring shots alone only tells you a part of the story. I reckon the margin was perfectly fair: we were right in the contest until early in the 4th, and eventually overrun.

Umpires gifted us about 4 goals.
Should have been a 6-8 goal loss. We allow way too many I50s for the opposition. That will continue as we are only just now learning offense and so defence will suffer in the short term.

I'd say Richmond gifted them with their indiscipline - Hardwick acknowledged that they were fully aware of the protected zone rule and failed to respond correctly. But even if we claim them as umpiring gifts, then you also have to count Riewoldt's incredibly soft opener, and the two howlers against Thomas leading to goals that moshe mentions above. I can't agree that the umpires kept it close, they reamed us plenty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wojee wrote:
We were expected to get smashed, and may have snuck a win if not for injuries.

Jack Riewoldt is a flog.
I'm already tired of the commentators fapping over Martin. Circle jerk every time he fends someone off but completely ignore him giving Thomas a two handed shove in the back into a marking contest.

I am watching the replay and that was such an obvious free yet not one of them said a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Should have been a 6-8 goal loss. We allow way too many I50s for the opposition. That will continue as we are only just now learning offense and so defence will suffer in the short term.

The umpires gifted them about 4 goals as well, or don't those count?
As for Inside 50's they're almost irrelevant. Hawthorn smashed us for Inside 50s last week as well and we won the game. Our structure is forcing teams wide and last night, like last week, the opposition are taking plenty of their shots from out wide, hence the scoring efficiency. I'd suggest in fact that Richmond were fortunate to have scored the amount of goals they did.
We on the other hand are taking most of our shots within 40 and within the corridor. Both are an outcome of our game style. Not an accident.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

I thought there was a lot to like about last night. I like attacking and kicking goals...I like Fisher...I like both Curnows...and Marchbank...Cripps I may more than like....
This season could show significant growth for the team as long as injuries down kill us.

I agree with some others... Backline too tall, I would have moved Weiters forward....especially when Kruise was hurt.
I would like to see Marchbank given a go forward- just out of curiosity...Cunningham and Lang in next week?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just watched the replay.

Gifted goals...pffft...we just got a shot at goal a bit closer with the 50m penalty.
Who knows we might have kicked them: Wright kicks 45 as does Curnow.
Nevertheless the ball was already ours. Not gifted.

Richmond got the gifted free kicks or play on calls.
Murphy got man handled and umps just ignored the interference.
Thomas got robbed 3 times.

If we had our 2 key mids Kreuzer and Kennedy to rotate and continue to dominate we could've won it.

So many of their behinds were rushed or were not even close to goals such was our pressure.
They scored a few lucky "eyes closed" goals too.

No doubt we arrived last night and stepped up a level.
My phone last night and today red hot from opposition supporters totally blown away by Carlton.
Especially given Tigers red hot JLT form, let alone current Tilte Holders.

Pickett.
Cuningham.
Lang.
Williamson.

That's a lot of pace coming into the team.
Its a long season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm 
Bruce Comben

A super impressive performance even though we didn't come away with the chocolates. I was really happy with the performances of Carlton debutants: Garlett, Mullet and Kennedy. Garlett gave us the x factor inthe forward line and will only get better. I can't wait to see both Garlett and Pickett in full flight together. Mullet didn't seem to do much wrong and was a fine contributer. Kennedy looked good until he got injured. He will be a great pick up as he will take a lot of pressure off Cripps.
Charlie and Cripps were awesome! And the sky is the limit for both of them. Also really excited about SPS, Fisher and Dow. This game was just the first game under the new attacking game plan. I think providing we don't have to many injuries we can only get better and better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

If the Browlow votes aren't;
3 - Cripps
2 - C. Curnow
1 - D. Martin

....the @#$%&! thing's rigged

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

The AFL saying the 2 50s given were in error. Rule states that protected area is 5m behind and 10m beside player with the ball. If someone can tell me Caddy is further than 10m from Curnow.

Mind you, it's a dumb @#$%&! rule in the first place. If at all, it should simply be that any player within 10 metres of the player when he's called to play on cannot tackle the player with the footy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Decent first up effort for mine..................although,would be trying anybody and everybody in the guts coz Cripps is crying out for a chopout...................a few were down but i would persist as it is early doors..........................a few posters have marked down next weeks game as a danger which i agree.Gotta start to win and not accept fighting losses..........................and i reckon all the debutants gave glimpses .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-23/t ... admits-afl

the protection of this endangered species will apparently continue well into this year

no mention of the tunneling, behind the play cheap body shots or wrong/no decisions to advantage the champs in their heroic comeback

one game and i've already had a gut full of the slanted commentators and the propaganda machine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Duke wrote:
The AFL saying the 2 50s given were in error. Rule states that protected area is 5m behind and 10m beside player with the ball. If someone can tell me Caddy is further than 10m from Curnow.

Mind you, it's a dumb @#$%&! rule in the first place. If at all, it should simply be that any player within 10 metres of the player when he's called to play on cannot tackle the player with the footy.

That's nice of them, but did they comment on Thomas being penalised for a legitimate handball and also not being awarded a clear mark?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
The Duke wrote:

That's nice of them, but did they comment on Thomas being penalised for a legitimate handball and also not being awarded a clear mark?

Well if it didn't affect Dusty, it's not really a problem, so..........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

The umpires gifted them about 4 goals as well, or don't those count?
As for Inside 50's they're almost irrelevant. Hawthorn smashed us for Inside 50s last week as well and we won the game. Our structure is forcing teams wide and last night, like last week, the opposition are taking plenty of their shots from out wide, hence the scoring efficiency. I'd suggest in fact that Richmond were fortunate to have scored the amount of goals they did.
We on the other hand are taking most of our shots within 40 and within the corridor. Both are an outcome of our game style. Not an accident.
Gee BV, why are you watching the game? :smile:

I feel sorry for our friends OS and IS who have to watch on TV. It drives me crazy when I have to.
Let alone having to listen to the likes of BOVVO or MACCA or MIFFO or whichever imbecile they have commentating.
Just watch the game and see what's going on...
Umpires should be freed up to call the game AS THEY SEE IT.. not according to these weird interpretations...
Drives me nuts.... Back to the dark room for me

Go you good things

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wojee wrote:
The Duke wrote:

Or all of the dropping the ball calls they didnt make against Richmond?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think watching people's Instagram stories is about the most boring thing since pushing someone elses kid on a swing, but Dave Cuningham's post had me chucklin just now.

Last edited by The Duke on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Wojee wrote:
The Duke wrote:

Or all of the dropping the ball calls they didnt make against Richmond?

Or Dustin Martin’s fend offs to the throat - which seem to have been given the Lance “Natural Arc” Franklin AFL tick of approval

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

The umps are too busy putting a hole in their undies everytime it happens to notice the simple fact that its against the rules.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great match last night
90K people 24 degrees
Good match overall

Positives

Start

Charlie Cripps wright Fisher Simpson Marchbank Dow on debut Kennedy (until injured )
Kreuz(ditto) ed Curnow

Thought Thomas was ok

More attacking game style

Will use corridor now

Not stressed overawed in front of big crowd

Garlett and Mullet worthy additions

Kicking for goal

Good effort when playing with limited bench

Side well coached

Not so positives

Umpiring shockingly inconsistent -8 different interpretations of holding the ball
Smugness of Richmond

Weiters Jack and Lamb

Lesser so but only average Casboult jones Plowman and Byrne

Skill errors

Seeing them unfurl flag
Inevitability of being overrun in last quarter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm 
Garry Crane

Blue Vain wrote:
trublu wrote:
We should have lost that game by 10 goals or more.

We allowed a team to have 71 inside 50’s (AFL average is 51)
The tigers had 16 more scoring shots
28 scoring shots to 13 after quarter time
We kicked 7 goals from free kicks

If it weren’t for that first 5 minute goal blitz and the Tigers not kicking straight it would have been close to 100 points.

Are you trying to justify your embarrassing prediction from earlier in the week?
Once again, you are demonstrating that you have no idea about the game. You cant disregard our first 5 goals.
Going by your logic, if it weren't for Richmond kicking their goals we would have won by 80 points. :lol:

FMD, I read some stupid stuff from football supporters but we have more than our share of uninformed nuffies as well.

Actually Blue Vain, he's demonstrating - once again - what a complete peanut he is :donk:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next