Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Noice :thumbsup:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Brilliant Wookie. :thanks: :thanks: Made my morning. Some brilliant signs.

There are so many worth going along to see now. I think my Fav just might be Byrne. That pace and set up off half back is just what we need, to take over from the Doc.

Our pace certainly looks encouraging. Plenty of toe on all lines.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 am 
Harry Vallence

Adam Chatfield wrote:
smithy wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
How do we let the broadcaster turn this into the st kilda show at our own home ground

It should be our players being interviewed, our coach being interviewed, our memberships being spruiked, etc etc

It was bizarre wasn't it, gave a good representation about what those druggie loving scum at Fox footy feel about Carlton, it's about time we started to call these pieces of shite out on their bias.

You honestly think they sit there waiting to persecute us?

They have friends of the scum there so when they are around they seem to be sympathetic. Mind you anything probably sounds sympathetic towards them with our hatred

Wouldn't say it was persecution, but it's more than just a subconscious bias.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:26 am 
Bruce Doull

Wookie back to his MVP form, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Thanks as always wookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Taff wrote:
Great to have the footy back. Lots to like and with SPS and JW back next week we will give the Hawks a good run.

They're about to become our bitches.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blues21 wrote:
My only criticism of Jones is his punching technique.

He often swipes when he tries to spoil. That reduces the chances of getting the ball flush and increases the odds of a free kick against for taking the arms.

When you're reasonably placed and the flight of the ball is twoards you the best and surest method is to apply a fist straight ahead. Think B Doull.

The reason it so frustrating is that it is so obvious and so easy to correct. What do the coaches all do down there.

There was a contest in the 2nd Q when he was caught behind and didn't punch. Everyone knew it. They scored a goal. The very next arial contest a few minutes later he came through with a solid spoil but teh technique wasn't correct.

If he improves that area he's going to be a valuable asset going forward.

Bit harsh IMO. He gets his hands to balls that he has no right to even reach sometimes.
He backs himself and wins most of the contests. He is still learning.
He doesn't give many frees away at all.
We are looking at one of the success stories of the CFC unfolding before our eyes.
He was like a top five draft pick for us late last year and has continued in the same vein.
It will be interesting to see if your theory is correct. There will be days when he gate caught body on body and maybe then it will become something of an issue but while he can maintain space on his opponent and win the contests with height and pace he should be OK.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The_Wookie wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Are there any highlights up anywhere?

will these do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMcajlkG_s

sorry, been flat out with work

Thanks, Wookie. Great work as always.
Sorry for the triple posts but at his time of the day nobody else is awake...

For those worried about Garlett, watch those highlights and just watch Garlett's work rate. He might easily have had four goals in the first half had he been chosen as the option. He certainly presented himself.
The first goal he ran from the back pocket to the forward line alongside the ball movement.
The run where Picket took on the right wing shows Garlett running alongside outside and then he switched inside to present two options one after the other but dropped away when Pickett kept going and he couldn't keep up.
The kid can play and has the smarts.

The other thing about that reel was the way Dow gave silver service to the forwards. I am going out on limb here. Based on one game, I am going to say those two passes to Casboult and Thomas were the best I've seen since Houlihan, who was probably the best of his era.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The_Wookie wrote:
CK95 wrote:

will these do?

Brilliant stuff Wookie....
... And you work? Great effort

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ya know....

if we win 18 games this year...i really
want this to be one of them...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nice highlights - thanks Wookie.

Noting that I have only seen those highlights - is it fair to say Bolton is trying to get them to focus on a run and carry gameplan? It seemed to me in those highlights - almost every push forward was a result of run off the backline and moving the ball quickly?

It looked good, however I do worry as it is very dependant on good skills to work, otherwise we get exposed when the ball gets turned over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep, there was definitely a focus on playing on as soon as practicable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm 
Wayne Johnston

This style of play really suits Byrne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

There was a lot to like, but also plenty of room for improvement. LOB's disposal wasn't great but I'm not going to hang him on one pre-season performance where he is playing against men for the first time. I think it will be a real eye-opener for him and can only aid his development going forward.

There were far more positives than negatives, so please don't think I am only seeing negatives, but am I the only one that thought Mullet was horrendous? For a bloke that's played nearly 100 games of AFL football, I thought he was weak at the contest and his disposal was rubbish. If a bloke is delisted from a bottom side, there's usually a pretty good reason for it. It may have been a case of just trying too hard in your first game for your new club, but I he was awful. Hope he proves me wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Yep, there was definitely a focus on playing on as soon as practicable.
Get some tight jumpers :wink: too many players being grabbed by the Jumper as they played on.... Easily fixed

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm 
John Nicholls

The_Cranium wrote:
There was a lot to like, but also plenty of room for improvement. LOB's disposal wasn't great but I'm not going to hang him on one pre-season performance where he is playing against men for the first time. I think it will be a real eye-opener for him and can only aid his development going forward.

There were far more positives than negatives, so please don't think I am only seeing negatives, but am I the only one that thought Mullet was horrendous? For a bloke that's played nearly 100 games of AFL football, I thought he was weak at the contest and his disposal was rubbish. If a bloke is delisted from a bottom side, there's usually a pretty good reason for it. It may have been a case of just trying too hard in your first game for your new club, but I he was awful. Hope he proves me wrong

I wondered who the #18 was being very ordinary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The_Cranium wrote:

So glad you put it this way.

I watched the replay a couple of times since looking for the positives some suggested...ie he got better as the game wore on...and I didn't see anything other than a really selfless shepherd.

Maybe trying too hard.

I know he played better last year than this performance...but given the performance I cant put him in my 25 man squad for round 1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

So glad you put it this way.

I watched the replay a couple of times since looking for the positives some suggested...ie he got better as the game wore on...and I didn't see anything other than a really selfless shepherd.

Maybe trying too hard.

I know he played better last year than this performance...but given the performance I cant put him in my 25 man squad for round 1.
Best thing is we probably don't need to!

Go you good things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
CK95 wrote:

will these do?

Thanks, Wookie. Great work as always.
Sorry for the triple posts but at his time of the day nobody else is awake...

For those worried about Garlett, watch those highlights and just watch Garlett's work rate. He might easily have had four goals in the first half had he been chosen as the option. He certainly presented himself.
The first goal he ran from the back pocket to the forward line alongside the ball movement.
The run where Picket took on the right wing shows Garlett running alongside outside and then he switched inside to present two options one after the other but dropped away when Pickett kept going and he couldn't keep up.
The kid can play and has the smarts.

The other thing about that reel was the way Dow gave silver service to the forwards. I am going out on limb here. Based on one game, I am going to say those two passes to Casboult and Thomas were the best I've seen since Houlihan, who was probably the best of his era.

I disagree, when watching I commented a few times that I think whilst Garlett is certainly very quick but he runs a bit 'dumb' in the sense that he sprints to where the ball was, over commits and runs past people etc. Which I think means he gasses himself and can't get to the next contest or he might get to the next contest but he's too cooked to provide an option to the best of his ability.

I think the kid can definitely play, but I don't think he has the 'smarts' which can sometimes be the hardest thing to teach.

But also, I might just be stupid and this isn't the case at all. I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Taff wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

I wondered who the #18 was being very ordinary.

I believe his name is "Flounder".

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next