Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

One of Carlton's greatest defenders Geoff Southby is speaking at Percy's Pub - The North Fitzroy Arms - tomorrow Friday 9th of February. Ring to Book 94864501.

For those unable to attend, I'll write a review. :thumbsup:

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pasta Salad followed by Pork Belly or Kangaroo, finished with cheeses platter. Not bad for $35 bucks.

In his speech that lasted 45 minutes, with questions, Geoff Southby came across as a down to earth person, let's say salt of the earth, of course originally from Bendigo. Geoff spoke of how he came to Melbourne from the country, studying first year teaching and playing for Powerhouse Football CLub. Also reminescences of some odd combatants on the ground in Peter 'Crackers' Keenan and Mark 'Jacko' Jackson. Geoff also talked of Perc and the famous story of how on a long training run down Sydney Road/Royal Parade Perc got the tram rather than running. As Geoff spoke Perc would remember the stories that were being spoke of and nod discerningly. Geoff talked of his altercatiion with Neil Balme in the 1973 Grand Final. And also spoke of the 1972 and 1979 Grand Finals. Old newspaper man Ron Reed was there as was I think Ted Hopkins. Geoff spoke of his support for women's football and said his daughter Eloise, former Australian Netballer attended our first match against Collingwood. It was nice to hear a man who has suffered with a mental illness, in Geoff's case depression, speak honestly and educationally and the audience gave Geoff a heart felt warm round of applause for his honesty, very progressive. :thumbsup:

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

Last edited by 79Vintage on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

:thumbsup:

Last edited by 79Vintage on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Vallence

Last edited by 79Vintage on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Vallence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm 
John Nicholls

Lucky enough to have sat down for a chat with Geoff Southby a few years ago and found him to be very genuine and a decent man. Completely endorse your comments.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

Our best fullback imho.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
Our best fullback imho.

big call Mick !

one of our clubs all time greats for sure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Our best fullback imho.

big call Mick !

one of our clubs all time greats for sure

Not really Rexy.The only other contender is SOS.Southby by a short half head for mine................Harmes Southby Silvagni is my last line of defence.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

I met him after an AGM at the MCG a few years back, very nice bloke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Our best fullback imho.

I think so too.
We've had some rippers.
SOS was obviously one and I don't mind he was FBoC ahead of Geoff.
Wes Lofts was wonderful in an era where you had to be hard to survive. Balme wouldn't have whacked him and walked off the ground. I can't remember further back than that.
Southby and Rantall were the pioneers of the current style of running full back. They backed themselves in while others were still staying at home in the ten yard square or chasing their FF on the lead. There was a rule back then. if the FB left the ten yard square, the BP had to occupy it. Vin Waite was one of our BP and as hard a man as Lofts.
I can still see Geoff Southby gliding to the end of the square with his easy stride and barreling a torp to the centre of PP.
Them were the days.

I wonder if we will be talking about Liam Jones or Weitering like this in twenty years... We can only hope.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Our best fullback imho.

I think so too.
We've had some rippers.
Wes Lofts was wonderful in an era where you had to be hard to survive. Balme wouldn't have whacked him and walked off the ground. I can't remember further back than that.
Southby and Rantall were the pioneers of the current style of running full back. They backed themselves in while others were still staying at home in the ten yard square or chasing their FF on the lead. There was a rule back then. if the FB left the ten yard square, the BP had to occupy it. Vin Waite was one of our BP and as hard a man as Lofts.
I can still see Geoff Southby gliding to the end of the square with his easy stride and barreling a torp to the centre of PP.
Them were the days.

I wonder if we will be talking about Liam Jones or Weitering like this in twenty years... We can only hope.

:clap:

Ps. Thanks for the great review 79V. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Our best fullback imho.

I think so too.
We've had some rippers.
Them were the days.

SOS just ahead but nothing in it. I saw Southby take Blight apart at PP one time. No mean feat.

One thing about Geoff he was as clean as they come which made that piece of thuggery by Balme all the more disgusting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Anyhow,thats the beauty of opinions.Ya can't measure 'em.Everyone can have one,and you aint right or wrong...............thats the beautiful thing about this wonderfull site.We can come onto this site and go hammers and tongs at each other and finish in a nil all draw.You can't win and you can't lose.Fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

:thumbsup: thanks 79V, wish I was there!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Post removed

Last edited by BluesRockMyWorld on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

Great fullback. But SOS has to rate higher. The quality of opposition FF was extraordinary in SOS era, and he beat them all, most of the time. And he went forward to kick match winning bags of goals, when we needed it. I get a little annoyed when people say other fullbacks were better than SOS, eg, Scarlett, Rance etc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

lucablue wrote:
Great fullback. But SOS has to rate higher. The quality of opposition FF was extraordinary in SOS era, and he beat them all, most of the time. And he went forward to kick match winning bags of goals, when we needed it. I get a little annoyed when people say other fullbacks were better than SOS, eg, Scarlett, Rance etc

You're right.
Southby only had to contend with Peter Hudson, Peter McKenna, Doug Wade, Kelvin Templeton, Bernie Quinlan, Michael Roach, Simon Beasley, Malcolm Blight and that flower, Neal Balme. Not exactly your bunch of hacks. With the exception of Balme, all century goal kickers.
SOS may or may not have been better but don't undersell Southby's opposition. He was a gun and so were the above.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
lucablue wrote:

You're right.
Southby only had to contend with Peter Hudson, Peter McKenna, Doug Wade, Kelvin Templeton, Bernie Quinlan, Michael Roach, Simon Beasley, Malcolm Blight and that flower, Neal Balme. Not exactly your bunch of hacks. With the exception of Balme, all century goal kickers.
SOS may or may not have been better but don't undersell Southby's opposition. He was a gun and so were the above.

Southby was a great however the biggest difference was he only had to content with the majority of those blokes for 3-4 seasons (Blight the biggest an exception). SOS had to contend with Ablett, Locket, Dunstall, Carey and Modra though the majority of his career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Whichever way you look at it - it’s a great debate for one football club to have, who was the better full back, Southby -v- Silvagni.

I was lucky enough to have seen both, still give it SOS, but Southby must have been one helluva player to force his way into a premiership side Round 1 of season 1971,

Winston Churchill