Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
Whichever way you look at it - it’s a great debate for one football club to have, who was the better full back, Southby -v- Silvagni.

I was lucky enough to have seen both, still give it SOS, but Southby must have been one helluva player to force his way into a premiership side Round 1 of season 1971,

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

79Vintage wrote:
Pasta Salad followed by Pork Belly or Kangaroo, finished with cheeses platter. Not bad for $35 bucks.

In his speech that lasted 45 minutes, with questions, Geoff Southby came across as a down to earth person, let's say salt of the earth, of course originally from Bendigo. Geoff spoke of how he came to Melbourne from the country, studying first year teaching and playing for Powerhouse Football CLub. Also reminescences of some odd combatants on the ground in Peter 'Crackers' Keenan and Mark 'Jacko' Jackson. Geoff also talked of Perc and the famous story of how on a long training run down Sydney Road/Royal Parade Perc got the tram rather than running. As Geoff spoke Perc would remember the stories that were being spoke of and nod discerningly. Geoff talked of his altercatiion with Neil Balme in the 1973 Grand Final. And also spoke of the 1972 and 1979 Grand Finals. Old newspaper man Ron Reed was there as was I think Ted Hopkins. Geoff spoke of his support for women's football and said his daughter Eloise, former Australian Netballer attended our first match against Collingwood. It was nice to hear a man who has suffered with a mental illness, in Geoff's case depression, speak honestly and educationally and the audience gave Geoff a heart felt warm round of applause for his honesty, very progressive. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the summary :) - Did he say anything on what he thinks about the club now and/or what he thinks of Bolton and his direction?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Whichever way you look at it - it’s a great debate for one football club to have, who was the better full back, Southby -v- Silvagni.

I was lucky enough to have seen both, still give it SOS, but Southby must have been one helluva player to force his way into a premiership side Round 1 of season 1971,

Wes Lofts was also fantastic.And growing up as a kid one i also loved was George Ferry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Wes Lofts was also fantastic.And growing up as a kid one i also loved was George Ferry.

John Nicholls, didn’t have a very high opinion of him as a player, in his book.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:23 am 
Bob Chitty

AGRO wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
AGRO wrote:

John Nicholls, didn’t have a very high opinion of him as a player, in his book.

Big Nick didn't have a high opinion of whom? Southby, Lofts or Ferry?

When it comes to Carlton full backs I have seen definitely Southby and SOS are the two standouts, but I don't go back as far as Ferry let alone the earlier greats like Ollie Grieve or earlier. Forced to answer, for me it's SoS on the tallest of the opposition full forward or pocket and Southby on the second tallest. But I'd have Southby doing the kicking in for sure! One thing is certain, full back is one position where Carlton has traditionally had great players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sorry I wasn’t clear - it was Wes Lofts that John Nicholls didn’t have a high opinion of (as a player).

A point clearly made in his book “Big Nick”.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am 
Geoff Southby

I saw Lofts play. He was a good but not great fulback.

His reputation was enhanced because he scared Peter Hudson and kept him under control.

Those were the days before cameras and video replays if you get the drift. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Silvagni Southby and Lofts in that order for me

Southby was an excellent full back but SOS was better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Pasta Salad followed by Pork Belly or Kangaroo, finished with cheeses platter. Not bad for $35 bucks.

In his speech that lasted 45 minutes, with questions, Geoff Southby came across as a down to earth person, let's say salt of the earth, of course originally from Bendigo. Geoff spoke of how he came to Melbourne from the country, studying first year teaching and playing for Powerhouse Football CLub. Also reminescences of some odd combatants on the ground in Peter 'Crackers' Keenan and Mark 'Jacko' Jackson. Geoff also talked of Perc and the famous story of how on a long training run down Sydney Road/Royal Parade Perc got the tram rather than running. As Geoff spoke Perc would remember the stories that were being spoke of and nod discerningly. Geoff talked of his altercatiion with Neil Balme in the 1973 Grand Final. And also spoke of the 1972 and 1979 Grand Finals. Old newspaper man Ron Reed was there as was I think Ted Hopkins. Geoff spoke of his support for women's football and said his daughter Eloise, former Australian Netballer attended our first match against Collingwood. It was nice to hear a man who has suffered with a mental illness, in Geoff's case depression, speak honestly and educationally and the audience gave Geoff a heart felt warm round of applause for his honesty, very progressive. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the summary :) - Did he say anything on what he thinks about the club now and/or what he thinks of Bolton and his direction?

Geoff didn't speak of what he thinks of our chances. :thumbsup:

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

. :thumbsup:

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!