Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I wouldn’t want our match committee selecting the team in such a contrived manner.

How is it any more or less contrived than picking a rookie late in the year who may not be in our best 22 but keen to see how he goes, from a list management perspective, rather than merit?

Should we be never resting players? Or never blooding players to give them extra experience?

Blooding young players and managing sore ones is intended as an investment in the future. How is that in anyway similar to picking a (struggling) 30 year old in round 18 for no other reason than he has 6 games to get to 100?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Two reasons

One being the obvious with father/son eligibility, the second just being a glaring example of how we failed to learn our lessons with how Fisher missing out one game shy impacted the playing group.

Given the discontent amongst the players at the time about him not getting an opportunity to play his 100th, you could make an argument that it was the beginning of the end for Ratten. Do I suspect that it would have a similar impact on this playing group? Without suggesting any unpopularity on Rowe's behalf, probably not, but it could have had a similar impact on morale in a year we've struggled for it at times.

He's played in one of the shittest Carlton sides of all time, and had more than his fair share of bags kicked on him in that time. Not the greatest player, but a slight tip of the hat would have been warranted in matches we had nothing to play for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Two reasons

One being the obvious with father/son eligibility, the second just being a glaring example of how we failed to learn our lessons with how Fisher missing out one game shy impacted the playing group.

Given the discontent amongst the players at the time about him not getting an opportunity to play his 100th, you could make an argument that it was the beginning of the end for Ratten. Do I suspect that it would have a similar impact on this playing group? Without suggesting any unpopularity on Rowe's behalf, probably not, but it could have had a similar impact on morale in a year we've struggled for it at times.

He's played in one of the shittest Carlton sides of all time, and had more than his fair share of bags kicked on him in that time. Not the greatest player, but a slight tip of the hat would have been warranted in matches we had nothing to play for.

If our playing group is that impacted by a player not being gifted enough games to get him to a 100, then we are going nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Two reasons

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.
He had a good journey and as it turns out was a game short.
You don't gift games.
Team comes first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

What exactly came first?

We were shit. The whole season. Was there really that big a case to be made for not giving Liam Jones a rest with a mysterious calf injury? Or another one on top of the numerous weeks on the side of precaution for Weitering?

A side that got pumped by 80 odd points, and we're quibbling over the team first mantra that it clearly had no bearing on, nor solidified in anyway?

We gifted games to about half a dozen players this year who won't be considered for a microsecond by other recruiters this year for a second chance. We gifted O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw etc games because we didn't want to throw kids in the deep end. Ridiculous picking and choosing when a game is deserved and when it isn't, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Two reasons

I know where you are coming from.

I can't believe the situation for Rowe is anything like Fisher's was with his coach.
Rowe might be happy to take a role at Doncaster East. He's planned it imo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

I don't believe it is either. But would have preferred the club learned from the experience, and erred on the side of caution as a result.

Doesn't make us any more ruthless, or calculating, or cold, or games earned any more or less, because we played some absolute duds, we played blokes in the 4 weeks after as we only had about 24 to choose from. Some of them were probably given games in hindsight with SOS having already put a red pen through their name on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
What exactly came first?

We were shit. The whole season. Was there really that big a case to be made for not giving Liam Jones a rest with a mysterious calf injury? Or another one on top of the numerous weeks on the side of precaution for Weitering?

A side that got pumped by 80 odd points, and we're quibbling over the team first mantra that it clearly had no bearing on, nor solidified in anyway?

We gifted games to about half a dozen players this year who won't be considered for a microsecond by other recruiters this year for a second chance. We gifted O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw etc games because we didn't want to throw kids in the deep end. Ridiculous picking and choosing when a game is deserved and when it isn't, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

You know the reasons the club did what they did, do you?
You know better than the club, do you?

Seriously, get your hand off it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 pm 
Bob Chitty

verbs wrote:
Across the senior list and rookie list now, our average age is below 24. That's a pretty young list if we are to add a further three 18 year olds.

take out simmo, muphy, kruezer and ed and that average would drop even more.

its going to be another tough year, but i am convinced we are building something special.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
What exactly came first?

I think if the club would have their time again, they'd have given Fish his 100th game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

I don't care what you say about the other three, but you shouldn't roast Lamb.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Fisher I agree with. It would have been 100 games for Carlton. Imagine if he'd had a kid that was an absolute gun. Isn't Rowe's 100 across 2 club Said? In that case I don't really care that we didn't get him to 100.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 pm 
Robert Walls

verbs wrote:
So far allthe ins for the Silvagni era:

STILL ON LIST BUT ON THIN ICE
Phillips
LeBois

Pickett
Polson
Garlett
Lang

Would all want to show improvement in 2019 if they want to be around in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 am 
Geoff Southby

toddkurnski wrote:
verbs wrote:
So far allthe ins for the Silvagni era:

STILL ON LIST BUT ON THIN ICE
Phillips
LeBois

Pickett
Polson
Garlett
Lang

Would all want to show improvement in 2019 if they want to be around in 2020.

Ill guess at least 2 will be gone from those.

In order of most likely to least likely to be gone:

Polson
Garlett
Pickett
Lang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 am 
Horrie Clover

steve wrote:
Fisher I agree with. It would have been 100 games for Carlton. Imagine if he'd had a kid that was an absolute gun. Isn't Rowe's 100 across 2 club Said? In that case I don't really care that we didn't get him to 100.

All games with carlton, he didn’t get a game with Sydney
So he is one short of father son eligibility

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:
I don't care what you say about the other three, but you shouldn't roast Lamb.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think this is becoming a “circular” argument.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 am 
Rod Ashman

I think delisting the 4 gives SOS flexibility if he does get a godfather offer for pick 1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 am 
Ken Hunter

Great points RSG. Couldn’t agree more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:30 am 
Robert Walls

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
What exactly came first?

I think if the club would have their time again, they'd have given Fish his 100th game.

hindsight is 20/20.

Its always cruel and unfortunate to see a player stranded on 99 games, but both Fish and Rowe were robbed of getting their name's on the locker when the knees gave way and the lost a full season of games.

If he was stuck in the twos on 99 games - maybe I can see your argument - a farewell match and 100th might have been nice, but arguing about him being dropped with a month of the season to spare is a long bow if you ask me.

I doubt its going to be the catalyst for Bolton's demise either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 am 
Rod McGregor

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
BigKev wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
All makes sense. Feel for Sam Rowe though on 99. Mind you it'll be a nice ice breaker at dinner parties for him.

And it's not like Fisher, (who should've got the extra game). You're not going to give a guy a whole extra season for one game.

They dropped him for one game late in the year and brought him back next week. Ridiculous.

Not a fan of merit based selection?

In the context of it being Rd 18, and it making very little difference, it would have been a nice bit of forward planning (as it would have been with Brad Fisher). His cards were marked around then, as was our season, may as well have gotten something out of that game. With Roughead/Gunston/Ceglar/Schoenmakers all playing that day, not like there wasn't a match up for him either.

So with six weeks to go in the season you'd like someone to inform the match committee that Rowe is currently on 94 games and if he plays the rest he'll get to 100, meaning that in the off chance he has a son, we can draft him in 20-odd years? What about Graham being stranded on 48? Surely we could have planned ahead for him to get a nice banner too.

It's unfortunate for Sam but that's just the way it worked out.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 108  Next