Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
blueboy23 wrote:
Afl article from Barrett is interesting.
Imagine if we could land pick 2 for Murphy....
Pick 1 best available kid.
Pick 2 Dylan Shield or best available kid.
Must sign up crippa and charlie long term.
Chase Gaff and Dalahuse/Wallis.
Second round picks from Adelaide and Dogs, best young kids.
Ben S and Hickmont as FS.
Maybe look at Dom Tyson from the dees, 4/5 rounder.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-30/barrett-blues-should-follow-dees-recipe

Geez that’s a good article Rexy.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

Also if we are chasing free agents and get one then we wont get anything for losing murphy

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

how's that article, this quote:

Quote:
Incredibly, the Blues are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%).

imma go get a stiff drink and lie down.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
how's that article, this quote:

Quote:
Incredibly, the Blues are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%).

imma go get a stiff drink and lie down.

I can only assume that the compensatory pick has already been put in place for a Murphy exit.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

As if we would ever get a first round pick for Murphy. Some club would have to offer him a 4 year deal worth around $700,000 a year for that to happen.
Imagine the "outrage" if that happened from the other clubs.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
As if we would ever get a first round pick for Murphy. Some club would have to offer him a 4 year deal worth around $700,000 a year for that to happen.

Exactly.

All the clubs still view Carlton as a "Big club" when really it is a basket case.
As it is still viewed as a "big club" (illogically) no club would want to assist it in anyway whatsoever, so there would be a huge outrage if Carlton got pick 2 or 3 for Murphy. It won't happen. They might "give" Carlton a pick around pick 15....which is again back in the heavy gamble territory.

The most pertinent part of that article was this:
"Incredibly, the Blues are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%)." I guess the only advantage Carlton has over Melbourne, which has a record nearly as bad, during this time is it has won one or two meaningless finals.

To follow the Melbourne formula then Carlton would have to hand over the keys to the AFL....which I would be happy to do at this pathetic point in the club's history. I have no faith in Carlton's management, but we are sold the belief to "stick fat", "go to the draft" etc... yeah, well ok, can't wait until the draft in November.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 pm 
Robert Walls

26 years-old at the start of next season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cat ... 4zihb.html

You'd think about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

tap in 79 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Exactly.

All the clubs still view Carlton as a "Big club" when really it is a basket case.
As it is still viewed as a "big club" (illogically) no club would want to assist it in anyway whatsoever, so there would be a huge outrage if Carlton got pick 2 or 3 for Murphy. It won't happen. They might "give" Carlton a pick around pick 15....which is again back in the heavy gamble territory.

"Incredibly, the Blues are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%)." I guess the only advantage Carlton has over Melbourne, which has a record nearly as bad, during this time is it has won one or two meaningless finals.

To follow the Melbourne formula then Carlton would have to hand over the keys to the AFL....which I would be happy to do at this pathetic point in the club's history. I have no faith in Carlton's management, but we are sold the belief to "stick fat", "go to the draft" etc... yeah, well ok, can't wait until the draft in November.

Disagree, I would not let the AFL anywhere near our club, that would be the worst outcome possible. that we let them in at all under the guise of Collins is one of the reasons we are where we are, we tried appeasement it hasn't worked. It never does.
This code is rotten to the core and the AFL is a greedy suckling piglet that gets fatter and hungrier for more power and more control, never give these evil vermin what they want. Eventually in time the clubs will have to break away and start again, it is inevitable.
"Handing the keys to the AFL" (god I hate that stupid saying that makes these hopeless pricks out to be our saviors) would be the end of the club, full stop.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Would chase Cam for sure.
We need to chase a FA or 3...
Dahlhause, Gaff, Guthrie...
Pick 1 best available.
Mitch Wallis or Dom Tyson worth a look??

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

smithy wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Exactly.

Disagree, I would not let the AFL anywhere near our club, that would be the worst outcome possible. that we let them in at all under the guise of Collins is one of the reasons we are where we are, we tried appeasement it hasn't worked. It never does.
This code is rotten to the core and the AFL is a greedy suckling piglet that gets fatter and hungrier for more power and more control, never give these evil vermin what they want. Eventually in time the clubs will have to break away and start again, it is inevitable.
"Handing the keys to the AFL" (god I hate that stupid saying that makes these hopeless pricks out to be our saviors) would be the end of the club, full stop.

One of the reasons the AFL KOed us was that Elliot wouldn't kneel before them and at one stage suggested a super league similar to the NRL breakaway.
We need to think outside the box. I don't know what the answer is but one by one the other clubs are getting some toe hold that gives them an advantage. Essendon* started it with their deal at Docklands. Hawks got Waverley and Tasmania. The SA and WA clubs have purpose designed stadia that are hard for interstate clubs to win at. Geelong has it's own stadium provided by the taxpayers and the AFL for the most part on top of their being the last club to get free access to F/S and then there is the Gazza compo debacle.
North have placed themselves in South Tassie and in the long term that will be a financial bonanza as they are guaranteed gate takings they could only dream about at Etihad. Collingwood had Eddie and the shameless payola at the footy show for ten years that got them out of their financial woes. Sydney has a home ground and the COLA, which is a farce. If they need COLA, it should be paid to the lowest paid players, not as a 10% across the board salary cap rort that sees the players that need it the least getting the lion's share of it. Speaking of the Lions, they are a hole in the sand into which the AFL has poured an excessive amount of financial support and the odd priority pick that we haven't had. The two expansion clubs had several drafts to rort, which co-incidentally occured during the period we most needed access to good players and which is part of the reason we are missing players in the 24-27 age bracket. Dogs are getting into Ballarat, which I suggested we try several years ago. It hasn't proven financially successful as yet but it's in its infancy. Essendon* has been supported shamelessly by the AFL for the last four years on top of its stadium deal and the AFL has publicly stated that 'everybody wants a strong Essendon*'. Well I don't want a strong Essendon* on the back of corruption. Melbourne had Rootsy paid for by the AFL and a 'timely' over-the-top compo for Frawley when they were bottom of the ladder and went the quinella (as did Hawthorn when it landed Buddy and Franklin and thanks for coming.)
OK, we dug this hole and we need to get ourselves out of it. How do we get something extra to help? The money going to PP for the women's comp won't find its way to CFC directly. OK, the lights may be improved and the old stand is heritage listed but we will never play games there. Or will we? I have always been of the opinion that the second boutique stadium should be PP but the club has never really pushed it hard. Parking is an issue there, which Richmond is quick to point out is not the issue at Punt Rd. Could we relocate to Bendigo and develop a home ground there? How about Kilmore, close to Melbourne and in the growth corridor? Something. Anything.
I hate Richmond but I'll give them one thing. They've done this on their own. I struggle to think of any real assistance they've had from the AFL. They're like us in that regard.
Maybe it IS our board that's the problem. Maybe it's not but I think we need to develop something either alone or with the AFL that will give is something the others don't have.

In my dream, Visy, Fraser Brown and the Grollos rebuild PP for the club. The ACTU comes on board, lobbies the state and Federal governments for a subsidy and we establish the entire project as a trade-training project that will produce hundreds of tradesmen over the life of the rebuild and beyond.

Then I wake up and we're still 18th and broke.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 am 
Rod Ashman

bluechampion wrote:
26 years-old at the start of next season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cat ... 4zihb.html

You'd think about it.

He and Gaff would add some depth and class to the midfield

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am 
Rod Ashman

Barret is talking crap again. He is circumventing the truth for a story, and another defamatory story at that.
We are losing a player and gaining a draft pick as any free agency pick before us, that’s it. It’s not any unofficial anything. Priority picks are a hand out without lose, we are losing a very good player and being reimbursed, (if he decides to go) and as mentioned before if we entice a free agent ourselves the compensation is then void.
So where is the priority pick Barret, !@#$ knuckle.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I read it as him just having a crack at the AFL for their makey-uppy bullshit. Something we all rail about on here all the time. We are just the hook he is using to unload on them.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Interestingly our nuffies rule out categorically asking for PP Brisbane not nearly so pure are considering it and saying AFL need to do more to help struggling clubs :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

good old lazy Swanny kicking back in the hammock up in the Queensland sun expecting the AFL to do all the hard work for them

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Guthrie is a decent player who has never really delivered on his promise.

Get him only if don't overpay.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Also if we are chasing free agents and get one then we wont get anything for losing murphy

Good point!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

keep Murph and add Guthrie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm 
formerly BlueRob

They keep referring to Jack as a big bodied mid-fielder. I don't get it ... to me he is lightly framed. He also has a problem with stamina.

Don't get me wrong ... I am not opposed to him going into the mid-field.

He just needs to spend a lot more time in the gym.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

smithy wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Exactly.

As it is still viewed as a "big club" (illogically) no club would want to assist it in anyway whatsoever, so there would be a huge outrage if Carlton got pick 2 or 3 for Murphy. It won't happen. They might "give

I agree with your sentiment, but at the same time I don’t know, I am just tired of present trajectory

I mean the facts are Carlton is the worst team in the comp, even Essendon* has a more rosy outlook just a year or so after the biggest drug scandal in game’s history.
This is Carlton’s worst ever season....could it get worse?
All I ask is that the AFL don’t squeeze the Blues for more money, hand back what they took, and give the club some rosy compensation like they give other clubs. Pay for coaching, infrastructure etc. do something AFL.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 108  Next