Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm 
Horrie Clover

Is the draft the issue or is it some clubs want to take shortcuts?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

The AFL have got to react to the perennial poor performers, CFC and Brisbane need a leg up.
By season's end this will be even more apparent .
Hopefully they'll intervene with some PP before each section round as it was initially .
It's the only constructive way to ensure the talent goes were it's needed most.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 pm 
Garry Crane

Free Agency large problem where the strong gets stronger and weaker teams get inadequate compensation ie no compensation for waite as an example yes an old man only on 300000 but in teams of experience a big loss. Has to be a way to restricts clubs like hawthorn or geelong picking up multiple free agents in 1 year such ie dangerfield and ablett. perhaps a mid season trade if player wants to leave club

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bmaurizio wrote:
The AFL have got to react to the perennial poor performers, CFC and Brisbane need a leg up.
Hopefully they'll intervene with some PP before each section round as it was initially .

How about this years draft be limited to 1 pick each for the bottom 4 sides and that's it. Then raise the draft age by 12 months for the 2019 draft. :?:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:

How about this years draft be limited to 1 pick each for the bottom 4 sides and that's it. Then raise the draft age by 12 months for the 2019 draft. :?:

Someone made a good point about one basketballer making a difference in a team of seven or one QB in an NFL team.
One good player in a team with 18 on the ground does nothing.

That was his point. Valid.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Take away Cripps from our 18 and see if it makes no difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

sandramcd67 wrote:
Free Agency large problem where the strong gets stronger and weaker teams get inadequate compensation ie no compensation for waite as an example yes an old man only on 300000 but in teams of experience a big loss. Has to be a way to restricts clubs like hawthorn or geelong picking up multiple free agents in 1 year such ie dangerfield and ablett. perhaps a mid season trade if player wants to leave club

I think I heard somewhere that in the NFL, free agents can't go to the top performing clubs of the previous year. I would have thought it's a pretty obvious solution.

Post subject: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Stefchook wrote:
sandramcd67 wrote:

I think I heard somewhere that in the NFL, free agents can't go to the top performing clubs of the previous year. I would have thought it's a pretty obvious solution.

Seems legit. Great rule.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Yes I think we would be lucky to win a game and most likely be sitting on the bottom of the ladder without Cripps

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

If you haven't played finals for 3 years you get an extra ___% on your salary cap for ___ Years.

If you haven't played finals for 6 years you get an extra ___% on your salary cap for ___ Years.

...and so on.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Duke wrote:
If you haven't played finals for 3 years you get an extra ___% on your salary cap for ___ Years.

If you haven't played finals for 6 years you get an extra ___% on your salary cap for ___ Years.

...and so on.
Teams are finding ways of beating the cap . Carlton's history has them shitting themselves about it.
They need to do something about the compensation for free agents. At the moment it appears to be weighted to the contract amount and length of contract.
I would just bring in a rule that if you finish top 4 and are after a player from the bottom 4 then you automatically lose your 1st or 2nd round draft pick.
At the moment it cost the club's nothing and the compensation for the team losing the players is all over the shop

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 pm 
Robert Walls

The AFL have made a rod for their own back with Free Agency, even though I acknowledge that it's largely a player-driven thing.

Players change clubs via free agency for 4 reasons (in descending order of importance)

1. The chance to play in a strong side (Win a flag).
2. The chance to play at all (fringe players shifting about).
3. The chance to go home.
4. More money.

But the compensation formula is almost entirely based around how much money they're being paid.
Whilst it is true that many players shift for lots of money, I cannot think of a single good player who went to a struggling club for the money or any player, in fact, who shifted strictly for the cash.

Last edited by bluechampion on Tue May 22, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 pm 
Garry Crane

Sydney Blue wrote:
The Duke wrote:

...and so on.
Teams are finding ways of beating the cap . Carlton's history has them shitting themselves about it.
They need to do something about the compensation for free agents. At the moment it appears to be weighted to the contract amount and length of contract.
I would just bring in a rule that if you finish top 4 and are after a player from the bottom 4 then you automatically lose your 1st or 2nd round draft pick.
At the moment it cost the club's nothing and the compensation for the team losing the players is all over the shop

I like that suggestion becuase your not double dipping your losing a pick and increasing your talent, where as better teams have the pick and a gibbs

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

But we are in the box seat for free agents and are about to capitalise, so why are we supporting to change the system now........ :razz: :donk:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
The Duke wrote:

...and so on.

I like the intent SB, but the details might be a bit difficult to implement. What about simply adding ladder position to the formula for calculating compensation? They consider such things as player age and value of contract why not an adjustment to also factor in the on-field health of the club losing the player?

If they're serious about evening things out then I think that they need to be more liberal with the priority picks. The tanking thing has scared them now into under using them, but if you're regularly at the bottom they're one of the few things you can get to give you hope of a serious rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

Spot on

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluechampion wrote:
The AFL have made a rod for their own back with Free Agency, even though I acknowledge that it's largely a player-driven thing.

Players change clubs via free agency for 4 reasons (in descending order of importance)

1. The chance to play in a strong side (Win a flag).
2. The chance to play at all (fringe players shifting about).
3. The chance to go home.
4. More money.

But the compensation formula is almost entirely based around how much money they're being paid.
Whilst it is true that many players shift for lots of money, I cannot think of a single good player who went to a struggling club for the money or any player, in fact, who shifted strictly for the cash.

Judd, Franklin, Boyd, Scully ... I guess you could argue that Sydney isn't a struggling club, but it's not like Franklin left a club with no flag prospects to go there - for mine that was all about the $$$. I suppose with Judd you could make a case that he wanted out of WA, but it's my belief that Dick's cheque-book was the deciding factor in coming to us.

I acknowledge that you did say "strictly", meaning that there were no other factors involved. Pretty hard to argue that absolutely I suppose, but I reckon there's plenty of blokes for whom money is the overwhelming motivator.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
But we are in the box seat for free agents and are about to capitalise, so why are we supporting to change the system now........ :razz: :donk:

But were not a destination club, that’s conundrum. give us a PP before each round as it was set out originally. All perennial poor performers will rebound sooner. It’s the only way.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Really? Who says?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
Really? Who says?
Devon Smith , Tom Mitchell, Adam Treloar are a few names that come to mind

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 108  Next