Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

GreatEx wrote:
Genuine question, what's so special about Setterfield? I've never seen him play; I've read that he was the #5 selection two years ago and has made 2 senior appearances for GWS. We've nabbed a lot of GWS's high draft picks and it hasn't exactly been a successful venture so far, just wondering what makes this guy different.

As an U18 he was likened to Bont.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sold!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

As in, both had two legs..or?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

They both have 11 letters in their surname, that's gotta mean something, surely?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:30 pm 
John Nicholls

We rated him enough to bid for him before selecting SPS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Giving up Pick 1 of this year for Shiel and McG is just insane....

We must keep Pick 1 at all costs. Shiel is worthy of a 1st round pick whilst McG in my opinion is a big mistake the club is making. He is injury prone and a 10 disposals a game player. Too Lazy and has little impacts on Games.

He will take the mark of the year or kick a nice goal but lacks consistency. Why are we wasting our picks on him?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Genuine question, what's so special about Setterfield? I've never seen him play; I've read that he was the #5 selection two years ago and has made 2 senior appearances for GWS. We've nabbed a lot of GWS's high draft picks and it hasn't exactly been a successful venture so far, just wondering what makes this guy different.

As an U18 he was likened to Bont.

Surely not another GWS player who was rated very highly as a youngster but hasn't been able to get a regular game for them? Haven't we been down that path enough times?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dodo27 wrote:

We must keep Pick 1 at all costs. Shiel is worthy of a 1st round pick whilst McG in my opinion is a big mistake the club is making. He is injury prone and a 10 disposals a game player. Too Lazy and has little impacts on Games.

He will take the mark of the year or kick a nice goal but lacks consistency. Why are we wasting our picks on him?

Because we want to be seen as a destination club.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Ockham's Razor wrote:
SOS is doing a better job than any of his predecessors.

I suspect you've never read my posts. On this you won't get any disagreement from me.

Ockham's Razor wrote:
Without insights into all of this it's easy for some to form an ill informed conclusion.

I think questioning the timing of this particular vacation is warranted...you know - given the future of the club and all? One can only hero worship for so long. One can also see a few other list managers - a couple of whom SOS calls mates - definitely not on holiday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
SOS is doing a better job than any of his predecessors.

I suspect you've never read my posts. On this you won't get any disagreement from me.

Ockham's Razor wrote:
Without insights into all of this it's easy for some to form an ill informed conclusion.

I think questioning the timing of this particular vacation is warranted...you know - given the future of the club and all? One can only hero worship for so long. One can also see a few other list managers - a couple of whom SOS calls mates - definitely not on holiday.

I think it's fair to question the timing & I enjoy reading your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The fact that SOS is doing a better job than any of his predecessors is undisputed.

But you'd have to agree the bar is very low.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dodo27 wrote:

Add Fasolo to McGov and I’m concerned we are looking in the wrong direction. Let’s hope you and I wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
The fact that SOS is doing a better job than any of his predecessors is undisputed.

Sure...but Cashy only won one Grand Slam title and he's forever 'Wimbledon champion'. Shane Rogers only recruited one star but he's forever credited with Patrick Cripps. Sometimes you only need that very special 'one'.

@#$%&! me if that's not hallmark card gold right there AGRO...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
Our list manager doesn’t have a reputation as the hardest worker....

Is it his failure to understand the points system a few years ago the reason for your anti-SOS stance?

I have no idea about his work habits, but those that I’ve spoken to in the industry about his (6 sources) aren’t overly complimentary.... i.e. SOS is strictly 9 to 5... i know it’s school holidays, but its disturbing if he is on holidays

As for anything else, based on an assessment of his performance... again supported by opinions & views from others in the industry or from within the club....

You know I get out and about, if you want to know more, contact me

There were maybe 6 players that played on the weekend that were gettable...

SOS has basically ignored State League (untried) players or rookies (untried)... over 40 rookie listed players have played senior football from the last 3 drafts, none at our club

He’s forgotten to draft mids (at least 6 - 8 mids short) and small/med sized forwards while turning over 40 players

So far he’s failed to land any notable, established players (if McGovern is considered an established player, he is coming across because of Teague), hopefully he’s more successful this trade period

He’s had a dozen top 30 picks, with some of his selections raising laughter on draft night (as posted by others here)

Hawks were able to basically trade the same pick for Mitchell that we did for Marchbank (I think we turned Tuohy and pick 22 into pick 15)...

It’s good talking to people in the industry, they look at the analytics, the detail...

You don’t think our reliance on GWS retreads, players delisted from other clubs doesn’t raise eyebrows, is considered shortsighted or worse...

I was at the under 18 champs in July, there was a short discussion with some recruiters (none from the Blues or Dogs) about who they would choose as a pair, our first 2 selections last year or the Dogs first 2... it’s still early so opininions can change, however they all chose the Dogs selections

If they’re right, the concern is we had picks 3 & 10, I think the Dogs had picks 9 & 16... hard to catch clubs if they’re out drafting us

As for SOS’s failure to understand the points/trade system, the Vet and Trigg didn’t understand it either, however it was SOS’s responsibility (source: Trigg). Trigg made an excuse for SOS...

Do you thiink Trigg was happy about not having a National Recruitment Mgr for 2 years during the first 2 years of the rebuild?

There’s a reason the Vet is gone, and Lloyd was brought in... we both know SOS isn’t going anywhere

Anyway, that’s just a snapshot, again if you want to know more detail, contact me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 am 
Robert Walls

ColourMan wrote:
He is not one of the best in the business (in my opinion or more importantly others in the industry), he was laughed at on draft night, and nothing happened this year to change those opinions...

For the genuinely curious we are still waiting to hear who was laughing and why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Naughton and Richards over Dow and O'Brien? Nice footballers but I'm content.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 am 
Robert Walls

DocSherrin III wrote:
Naughton and Richards over Dow and O'Brien? Nice footballers but I'm content.

Both defenders. One a tall defender.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
It’s good talking to people in the industry, they look at the analytics, the detail...

But do they analyse the anagrams? Did you know 'See Light' is an anagram of 'Get Shiel'?

I see the light! I'm at peace if SOS is on vacay studying the anagrams. Rest assured - Adrian Dododoro is not studying the anagrams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Sure...but Cashy only won one Grand Slam title and he's forever 'Wimbledon champion'. Shane Rogers only recruited one star but he's forever credited with Patrick Cripps. Sometimes you only need that very special 'one'.

@#$%&! me if that's not hallmark card gold right there AGRO...

Rogers and Hughes helped put us in the cellar, and if SOS doesn’t get any help for Cripps he’s going to kill him.

:wink:

Cashy helped us win two Davis Cuos by the time he was 21, and should have wine the last Australian Open on grass and the first one on a hard court.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
Rogers and Hughes helped put us in the cellar, and if SOS doesn’t get any help for Cripps he’s going to kill him.

Cashy helped us win two Davis Cuos by the time he was 21, and should have wine the last Australian Open on grass and the first one on a hard court.

Mostly cocaine with Mats Wilander - but point taken.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 108  Next