Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:21 am 
Bruce Comben

bluegirl72 wrote:
99prelim wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
we must keep pick 1 and get Walsh

Agree. First priority
Everything else can be negotiated after that

Get Smart. :thumbsup:

Pick 86 sound right

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am 
Robert Walls

Dreaming - Shiel, Gaff, Setterfield, McGovern, Pick 1 (Rankine), Pick 24, BSOS
Expecting - McGovern, Pick 1 (Walsh), Pick 19, Pick 25, BSOS
Even with the huge amount of cash we have (105% of the SC for the next two years) I just don't think experiencd players would want to come yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

toddkurnski wrote:
Even with the huge amount of cash we have (105% of the SC for the next two years) I just don't think experiencd players would want to come yet.

I think the top line is possible, although still highly unlikely, if SOS/Bolts/Juddy play their cards right.

Yes, we know that players are most likely to go where immediate success is more likely.

But if you can sell them on the long-term proposition of a midfield of Cripps, Gaff, Shiel, Setterfield, Fisher, Dow, SPS and Walsh delivering the ball to Curnow, McKay and McGovern, who knows what can happen.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 pm 
Garry Crane

toddkurnski wrote:

Gaff likely to be with either West Coast or North; I genuinely suspect he will stay at West Coast who are contenders now and next year.

My expectation for the Blues: Pick 1 (Walsh), McGovern (mid-1st PP to Adelaide), Pick 19 (back from Adelaide), Setterfield (pick 24 to GWS), Pick 25, BSOS

That would be three picks inside 25/26 (depending on GC Tom Lynch compo) including No. 1, 19/20 and 25/26.
McGovern and Setterfield don't move the needle that much; but still in the right direction.
Sam Walsh looks like a 250 game classy midfielder, we need as many of them as we can get.
We get Doc back and hopefully full uninterrupted years for Kennedy, McKay and Marchbank.

We have the best potential to rebound quick for a 2 win team in AFL/VFL history.
8 wins (hopefully more) in 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I have faith we'll get Shiel as well. I'm unsure of the methodology but I think we're a better chance than not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Put me down as a “Ye of little”.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:29 pm 
Bob Chitty

dlb99 wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:

Gaff likely to be with either West Coast or North; I genuinely suspect he will stay at West Coast who are contenders now and next year.

My expectation for the Blues: Pick 1 (Walsh), McGovern (mid-1st PP to Adelaide), Pick 19 (back from Adelaide), Setterfield (pick 24 to GWS), Pick 25, BSOS

That would be three picks inside 25/26 (depending on GC Tom Lynch compo) including No. 1, 19/20 and 25/26.
McGovern and Setterfield don't move the needle that much; but still in the right direction.
Sam Walsh looks like a 250 game classy midfielder, we need as many of them as we can get.
We get Doc back and hopefully full uninterrupted years for Kennedy, McKay and Marchbank.

We have the best potential to rebound quick for a 2 win team in AFL/VFL history.

Why does everyone think BSOS will be drafted so highly? I have heard last pick / rookie spot. Is there other information?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:54 pm 
Garry Crane

Quote:
Why does everyone think BSOS will be drafted so highly? I have heard last pick / rookie spot. Is there other information?

I did not mean to imply pick 25 for BSOS. That was not my intention.

I meant, pick 25 (for someone), then BSOS with our 4th round pick (or so).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

So is BSOS any good? I know there was hype a couple of years ago, how has he developed since then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:
It's all well and good coming up with trade scenarios, where most sound quite good

However the biggest obstacle is a player's choice of club

They generally go to a destination club

Carlton is not a destination club

Sorry to say but Shiel won't choose Carlton

We end up with Fasolo

Chris Judd chose Carlton, Matthew Kennedy chose Carlton, as did Marchbank, Plowman, Thomas etc etc etc.
To state he won't choose Carlton is guesswork at best.

Apart from Judd and maybe Marchbank, that is not a great record of attracting quality talent through trading and free agency. I hope I am wrong but I doubt we will get Shiel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dlb99 wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:

Yeah i agree with this.

ideally i would want a Gaff (likely to do North or stay with WC) or a Shiel (probably go to Hawthorn or Essendon*) and i don't rate McGovern at all.

And going off the YouTube videos (which is what most people go off anyway) i think Rankine is clearly the best talent in the draft - but i could see us going the safe option and taking Walsh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:
It's all well and good coming up with trade scenarios, where most sound quite good

However the biggest obstacle is a player's choice of club

They generally go to a destination club

Carlton is not a destination club

Sorry to say but Shiel won't choose Carlton

We end up with Fasolo

Chris Judd chose Carlton, Matthew Kennedy chose Carlton, as did Marchbank, Plowman, Thomas etc etc etc.
To state he won't choose Carlton is guesswork at best.

Apart from Judd and maybe Marchbank, that is not a great record of attracting quality talent through trading and free agency. I hope I am wrong but I doubt we will get Shiel.

Sam Doherty choice Carlton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Chose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

No, he choice Carlton Bro'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am 
Craig Bradley

:grin:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

cimm1979 wrote:
Walsh.

....and almost on stats alone.

I think it was Glen Luff who indicated last year we'd selected a few players who weren't massive ball winners.

Would love for him to come in and start getting 20+ possessions from day dot.

I think this is a good point. An accumulator alongside Dow and SPS (and Fisher, to a lesser extent) would be ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:07 pm 
Robert Walls

I'd be looking at the following:

Trade Casboult.
It's pretty clear that we've reached the stage where he's simply back-up. He might appeal to a team that needs someone who can play key-forward and is a handy second ruck. Gold Coast and Freo are the stand-out candidates. I wouldn't expect heaps back for him, but I'd package him up with a pick to improve our draft position perhaps.

Ideal scenario:
Casboult & Graham to Gold Coast
Aaron Hall to North
Braydon Preuss to GWS
Will Setterfield to Carlton

Trade Jones.
If we're actually into McGovern, then (despite actually using all the tall defenders we have due to injury) I'm not sure how he fits in. I know McGovern and he don't really play the same role, but how many blokes do you need who play their best footy as an intercept tall defender? His value is difficult to judge. Like Casboult he might be worth just as much to us as depth than we'd get for him on the market. Collingwood are most in need of a tall defender who can play from round 1.

Ideal scenario:
Jones to Collingwood for pick #49 & #52

Trade Graham.
I know, I know: Who would want him? I reckon he's done his time at CFC and needs a chance somewhere else. Apparently Gold Coast are into Anthony Miles, and this represents something similar.

Ideal scenario:
See Casboult trade.

Trade Phillips.
Bit of a tricky one. Phillips is a decent ruckman, but will always be behind Kreuzer. Even with the cloud over Kreuzer's fitness, we still have one too many 'senior' ruckmen on the list and Lobbe is older and on more cash, so we're stuck with him. Phillips has value as a ruckman who could come into any side and play from game one, and with a few clubs on the look out for rucks, we might be surprised what we can get. It might leave our ruck resources a little thin (Kreuzer, Lobbe, DeKonning), but we could look at picking someone up late in the draft.

Ideal scenario:
Phillips to St. Kilda for a future second round selection.

Trade #49 to Gold Coast for Brodie
Trade #52 to Gold Coast for Scrimshaw
Trade next year's second rounder and St. Kilda's future second-rounder for Shiel
Trade our priority pick (which I expect to be after round 1, so pick #19 / #20 or so) to Adelaide for McGovern and pick #37
I'd also look into trading our second rounders (#24 & 25) to Sydney for their pick #13 (assuming they get something like #4 or so for Hannebery and don't want to spend #13 on Blakey).

Fasolo via Free Agency and have a late-in-the-game crack at Gaff.

We could then end up with #1 (mid), #13 (mid), #37 (ruck), #65 (Silvagni), #73 (Hickmott), Shiel, Setterfield, Brodie, Scrimshaw, McGovern, Fasolo, (Gaff?)
We lose Casboult, Jones, Graham, Phillips, #24, #25, #49, #52, priority pick (#19), next year's second-rounder and St. Kilda's future second-rounder.

That's eight players off the list (including the announced de-listed players), but potentially 11 on...

... so we'd need to cut three more players in this scenario: Kerridge, Rowe, Garlett?

Obviously this is all highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sorry to say that none of those players have any currency in this league.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluechampion wrote:
I'd be looking at the following:

Trade Casboult.
It's pretty clear that we've reached the stage where he's simply back-up. He might appeal to a team that needs someone who can play key-forward and is a handy second ruck. Gold Coast and Freo are the stand-out candidates. I wouldn't expect heaps back for him, but I'd package him up with a pick to improve our draft position perhaps.

Ideal scenario:
Casboult & Graham to Gold Coast
Aaron Hall to North
Braydon Preuss to GWS
Will Setterfield to Carlton

Trade Jones.
If we're actually into McGovern, then (despite actually using all the tall defenders we have due to injury) I'm not sure how he fits in. I know McGovern and he don't really play the same role, but how many blokes do you need who play their best footy as an intercept tall defender? His value is difficult to judge. Like Casboult he might be worth just as much to us as depth than we'd get for him on the market. Collingwood are most in need of a tall defender who can play from round 1.

Ideal scenario:
Jones to Collingwood for pick #49 & #52

Trade Graham.
I know, I know: Who would want him? I reckon he's done his time at CFC and needs a chance somewhere else. Apparently Gold Coast are into Anthony Miles, and this represents something similar.

Ideal scenario:
See Casboult trade.

Trade Phillips.
Bit of a tricky one. Phillips is a decent ruckman, but will always be behind Kreuzer. Even with the cloud over Kreuzer's fitness, we still have one too many 'senior' ruckmen on the list and Lobbe is older and on more cash, so we're stuck with him. Phillips has value as a ruckman who could come into any side and play from game one, and with a few clubs on the look out for rucks, we might be surprised what we can get. It might leave our ruck resources a little thin (Kreuzer, Lobbe, DeKonning), but we could look at picking someone up late in the draft.

Ideal scenario:
Phillips to St. Kilda for a future second round selection.

Trade #49 to Gold Coast for Brodie
Trade #52 to Gold Coast for Scrimshaw
Trade next year's second rounder and St. Kilda's future second-rounder for Shiel
Trade our priority pick (which I expect to be after round 1, so pick #19 / #20 or so) to Adelaide for McGovern and pick #37
I'd also look into trading our second rounders (#24 & 25) to Sydney for their pick #13 (assuming they get something like #4 or so for Hannebery and don't want to spend #13 on Blakey).

Fasolo via Free Agency and have a late-in-the-game crack at Gaff.

We could then end up with #1 (mid), #13 (mid), #37 (ruck), #65 (Silvagni), #73 (Hickmott), Shiel, Setterfield, Brodie, Scrimshaw, McGovern, Fasolo, (Gaff?)
We lose Casboult, Jones, Graham, Phillips, #24, #25, #49, #52, priority pick (#19), next year's second-rounder and St. Kilda's future second-rounder.

That's eight players off the list (including the announced de-listed players), but potentially 11 on...

... so we'd need to cut three more players in this scenario: Kerridge, Rowe, Garlett?

Obviously this is all highly unlikely.

I admire your optimism but that's nowhere near realistic IMHO. We'll get a second rounder for Phillips yet Brodie is worth pick 49 and Scrimshaw pick 52?????
As for Graham and Casboult, they'd get us Aaron Hall, Brayden Preuss and Will Setterfields bootlaces. Like I said I admire your optimism and I think it's great that you value our players but unfortunately I think you're massively undervaluing the opposition players.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:02 pm 
Robert Walls

The Duke wrote:
Sorry to say that none of those players have any currency in this league.

Probably not.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 108  Next