Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Hay, Bondi, I like your post BUT unless we radically change the way we play the game, we will never kick enough goals to win games, whilst leaking goals at the other end.
We had 8 defenders in the defensive fifty tonight but they still managed to kick 165 points against them. That should be impossible BUT we had 2 vs six in our F50, which let them run four players down the ground to upset the defensive setup and kick about 8 goals from inside the square.
The good teams of the current and near future era have a run and stun game plan that is high risk unless you can execute your passes by hand and foot. We don't let our players run, which is against the trend of the game and suicidal in my opinion. On top of that, we insist on the chippy chippy turnover game in our defensive half followed by a kick down the line to a contest. MM invented that in the nineties and we are well past it or should be.
Week after week we watch teams run through the middle of the ground unimpeded. We don't defend the corridor, which in this climate is just plain stupid. Then tonight we saw Adelaide use the boundary as well and we let them do it all the way to the goal line on eight occasions or more.
Who do we pick that will take us up the ladder using the current game style? Another Cripps-type who revels in the contested game footy that is being phased out at the top of the ladder? Or do we look for a high possession ball winner with more outside skills and likes to carry the footy. Someone like SPS used to be as a junior but who now gets the ball and looks to dish it off as fast as possible laterally or backwards perhaps? Maybe we should ditch Pickett and Garlett while we're at it. They love to run and carry and play footy with flair but they don't fit the BB 1990's game style of contested footy and defensive acts. Put Pickett in the Richmond team and see how he goes.
I suggested we get Saad wen he was available and was laughed off the page because he is a spud. Well he seems to go OK at Essendon** because Essendon** has discovered (too late for this year) that running payers off the back line down the middle is the way to beat teams who set up a deep zone or flood. Teams like Carlton, for example.
BB plays such a structured game that there is no room in it for Garlett, Pickett, Saad or anybody who wants to run and carry because when they look up, there is never anybody in front of them to kick it to.
So who do we draft at #1? Walsh? Rankine? Smith? Lukosis? Someone else?
Who do we trade for? McGovern? A stoic mark and kick defender? Yep he fits the 90's style of footy we are playing. Get him. Stuff Hunt from Mebourne who just loves to be a 100 metre possession player.
Which FA do we want? Dahlhaus? He likes to run and carry so he's out.

It all comes down to the game plan. Unless we have one that will stack up against Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS, Essendon** and Hawthorn, we might as well consign ourselves to the bottom of the ladder for the next five years. It all comes down to the coach. Unless he can jump us up to about tenth next year on the back of your argument, he's gawn and we have to start another rebuild based on the list he put together to play his style of game.
I find that frightening.

I'm hearing you, just as I heard King question the coaching strategy you describe.
King's comments made me think about my doubts on Bolton as a tactician, but I still don't think that's the problem we need to focus on right now.

I strongly believe Carlton will be a stronger team with a stronger list in 2019 regardless of coach and game plan.
Regardless who is coach I believe next year will see us climb the ladder but not make the Final 8 based on our current list.
I believe that the kids development has been expedited this year with their exposure to AFL footy week in week out.

IMO, no game plan can be executed properly if the players are not fit enough or strong enough to showcase their skills for 4 quarters of AFL.
They are kids. We have 18yo, 19yo, 20yo and 21yo out there. Many of them carrying niggles. They are not ready for AFL but you are suggesting they are and its the game plan which is the problem.

Get the list right, then we will see what we need to do with the coach.
I've heard it a lot that Bolton needs a good tactician by his side, and an old head ala Neil Craig.
I think Bolton knows what foundations he needs to lay and the club has supported him.

The first 15 minutes of the year against the reigning Premiers saw us go up 5 goals to zip, then he had Kennedy do his ankle and Kreuzer go down with injuries....it was down hill or rollercoaster ride (whatever) that followed.

Lets get another preseason into all the kids.
Lets get the the likes of Pickett, Garlett, Cunngham fit for outside speed. Key word being fully fit, not just available.
Lets add Docherty, Williamson, Plowman/Macreadie in the backline
Lets add Kreuzer, Fisher, Dow in the midfield
Lets add Walsh Shiel and Setterfield in our midfield
Lets get a McGovern into the forwardline

and a couple more likely additions for 2019.

Have all the ducks lined up and its a different team.
A team up to AFL standard and something for a coach to work with.
Lets see what Bolton can do with that, then judge who the most suitable coach is for 2020.
Bolton may have done what he needed to do,and we get a new senior coach in for 2020, or the club fills the gaps in the Match Committee.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Why do we need McGovern, what gap does he fill? We are okay for talls, we need a dozen midfielders before we get McGovern. And he sounds like a sook. In contract and wanting to walk. Mid mids mids and good drafting. How can hawthorn keep bringing in quality young players when they have barely had any picks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

gerry atric wrote:
Why do we need McGovern, what gap does he fill? We are okay for talls, we need a dozen midfielders before we get McGovern. And he sounds like a sook. In contract and wanting to walk. Mid mids mids and good drafting. How can hawthorn keep bringing in quality young players when they have barely had any picks.

Last night Anthony Hudson asked the question "Will McGovern be at Carlton next year?".
There has been ongoing speculation and a conversation Bolton didnt want to get drawn into whilst the season is at play and McGovern is contracted with another club.

Its not latest news, just ongoing news/ speculation, along with Fasolo.
Like you I don't see the need for them but maybe someone in List Management or MC does.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

People can look at our situation with rose coloured glasses and believe that this is all part of the plan and this year was when we were going to bottom out yada yada yada

I prefer to be realistic and see a club that is a complete shambles

I don't hear anything about the three year build anymore, our position on the PP was laughable, Barker is still an assistant coach, this idea that we would be ready to pounce on FAs to complement our list etc etc

We have no clue and have made no real inroads since Malthouse was sacked. Being two games shy of the Gold Coast is just plain embarrassing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:
Other than a few kids showing promise and Cripps
The worst year almost imaginable
Could only watch about half of last nights game

So many negatives

Bolton is a good people person but needs help tactically

As I have said before my belief is we have replaced too many spuds with spuds
With our recycled players
Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
Should never have been recruited
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks
Kennedy is just an average player
Rowe and Jones sent good enough either
Yet have been at the club for many years

Murphy has been crap for a number years but the club
Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line
The club need address where it’s heading far deeper
Than just wanting a priority pick

Pickett, Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy all have talent. Picket looked like a jet before he got injured pre-season....never recovered from there. Similar stories for Marchbank and Kennedy.
Garlett also has talent.....he had a year out of football so willing to give him time. In fact, all of these guys outside of Plowman went into the season aged 21 and under.
We've thrown talent away before and regretted it later. Let's be patient

Plowman can only play as a 3 rd defender
Provides no run out of defence and is a poor kick

Kennedy is slower and an average kick

Both these blokes are average players given a second chance
If fully fit would still be average
We move the ball so slowly because of blokes like these two

Tuohy the best kick in the team was traded for Marchbank
Pickett and Smedts Geelong. Marchbank is the best of the five
Players you mentioned but he is a terrible kick
He does provide run an carry but makes too many errors
Tuohy was a gun but undervalued
We piss him off for two hacks and an average player yet give the
Jones and Murphy 2 year contract extensions
Go figure plus Geelong got a decent draft pick as well
In that trade

Garrett and Pickett have talent but shit attitudes
You think a bloke given a second chance as both
Of these blokes have got would be desperate to succeed

Garlett picks and chooses
Doesn’t put in enough

Pickett broke his wrist but must have used the other
Hand to consume the KFC
A broken hand doesn’t mean you come back in the
Physical shape he was in

All these happenings are the result of the people
Running the club

The club has sold this sad tale that it’s a rebuild
In reality it ain’t
The only difference is that he have some
Very talented kids who have nobody to look
Up to other than Cripps and Simmo

Doc being back won’t fix the bigger issues

The club and the morons who run it
Need to piss off

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:33 am 
John James

keogh wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:

So many negatives

Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks

Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line

Pickett, Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy all have talent. Picket looked like a jet before he got injured pre-season....never recovered from there. Similar stories for Marchbank and Kennedy.
Garlett also has talent.....he had a year out of football so willing to give him time. In fact, all of these guys outside of Plowman went into the season aged 21 and under.

In that trade

Doesn’t put in enough

Hand to consume the KFC
Physical shape he was in

Running the club

In reality it ain’t

Need to piss off

Give Kennedy a chance. The kid's just turned 21 and overcame a major shoulder injury in the off season and has been hampered by an ankle injury all year. He missed half the season with it all up. He's also only played 31 games. He loves the contest and when he was able to play well it allowed Cripps to get off the leash and have some relief. He's a good enough kick and we don't want him kicking it too much anyways, we want him dishing it off to Fisher, Samo, Dow, O'Brien etc.

Go back and look at Marchbanks games in Round 1 and 2 before he got injured. He was brilliant. He too is only 21, has barely played 30 games and pushed through the season with an ankle injury. He was an integral part of the win against the Suns and he was terrific against the Dogs just last week apart from a 2 minute period where he dropped a couple of sitters. He reads the game beautifully and is a great mark. If he gets his body right and continues to work on his kicking I reckon he plays 200 games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
gerry atric wrote:

Last night Anthony Hudson asked the question "Will McGovern be at Carlton next year?".
There has been ongoing speculation and a conversation Bolton didnt want to get drawn into whilst the season is at play and McGovern is contracted with another club.

Its not latest news, just ongoing news/ speculation, along with Fasolo.
Like you I don't see the need for them but maybe someone in List Management or MC does.

If we do get him, it means one of Charlie or McKay has to move up the ground (assuming he plays forward)
Perhaps he is seen as a swingman if that's the case, he may replace Rowe in the backline.
My personal view is that we need mids more than we need another tall player. Mind you, we need a lot of things...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Brently8 wrote:
keogh wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:

So many negatives

Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks

Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line

In that trade

Doesn’t put in enough

Hand to consume the KFC
Physical shape he was in

Running the club

In reality it ain’t

Need to piss off

Give Kennedy a chance. The kid's just turned 21 and overcame a major shoulder injury in the off season and has been hampered by an ankle injury all year. He missed half the season with it all up. He's also only played 31 games. He loves the contest and when he was able to play well it allowed Cripps to get off the leash and have some relief. He's a good enough kick and we don't want him kicking it too much anyways, we want him dishing it off to Fisher, Samo, Dow, O'Brien etc.

Go back and look at Marchbanks games in Round 1 and 2 before he got injured. He was brilliant. He too is only 21, has barely played 30 games and pushed through the season with an ankle injury. He was an integral part of the win against the Suns and he was terrific against the Dogs just last week apart from a 2 minute period where he dropped a couple of sitters. He reads the game beautifully and is a great mark. If he gets his body right and continues to work on his kicking I reckon he plays 200 games.

Cripps is slow. You can be slow if you have grunt and can get the footy. I think Kennedy will be OK when he is injury free. I also think Marchbank will be fine. He was one of the few down back with Weitering who backed himself a number of times. The one I am worried about is Jack. He has to improve a lot next year or he won't be with us for long. BB needs to find his role. I liked him in the midfield theother week so maybe he needs some time in the gym and the bike to get his tank up. Great smarts and inherited the family courage but that won't be enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 am 
Geoff Southby

I agree too, Kennedy and Cripps to do the grunt work feeding it to Dow, SPS and Fisher who actually have explosion and pace.
Marchbank will be good also especially when Plowman and Weiters are up and running feeding it to Doc and Byrne.
Jack will be good too, he reminds me of Whitnall a bit, just skinnier. Both are a little slow, great marks and very good footy brains. There will be a role for him when he puts on some more muscle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mitch McGovern can play CHB if required.
Charlie up the ground if McGovern plays forward with H.
Add Walsh with pick 1.
McGovern with a PP.
Maybe Shiel with next years first and pick swaps.
Add in Setterfield also.
Docherty and Williamson return.

McGovern is 23 and a free hit with a PP.
Much prefer McGovern than Rowe.

Things can be turned around with few players.

But yes, we need another 3 or 4 mids.
A medium forward would also be nice.

My opinion would be yes to McGovern.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

When do we think exit interviews are conducted?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stone Free wrote:
When do we think exit interviews are conducted?

For TC or CFC? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:21 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/27/patience-not-priority-picks-cure-carltons-blues/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 pm 
Garry Crane

Coach B wrote:

Good read.

Ultimately I agree with the conclusion, Carlton had a diabolical 2018, but the team itself will eventually come good if they stay committed to the path they are already on.

I suspect Frementle, St Kilda and Gold Coast are positioned worse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

blueboy23 wrote:
Mitch McGovern can play CHB if required.

Not on Saturdays showing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Coach B wrote:

Yes well thought out article, don't agree with all of it however this part in particular shows the state of the joint.

Quote:
The Blues saw just three AFLCA votes awarded all year to their players aged between 24 and 28, by an enormous margin the worst count in the league where the average list had 212 votes awarded to players in this age bracket.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:

So many negatives

Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks

Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line

In that trade

Doesn’t put in enough

Hand to consume the KFC
Physical shape he was in

Running the club

In reality it ain’t

Need to piss off

May be some supporters need to do the same,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 pm 
Bob Chitty

dlb99 wrote:
Coach B wrote:

Good read.

Ultimately I agree with the conclusion, Carlton had a diabolical 2018, but the team itself will eventually come good if they stay committed to the path they are already on.

I suspect Frementle, St Kilda and Gold Coast are positioned worse.

very good read, and has my peaked my interest in Brodie and Setterfield. Whilst i want Shiel, sounds like the price maybe too high ..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Setterfield wears number 11 and has a headband.

Works for me... :smile:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
keogh wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:

So many negatives

Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks

Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line

In that trade

Doesn’t put in enough

Hand to consume the KFC
Physical shape he was in

Running the club

In reality it ain’t

Need to piss off

May be some supporters need to do the same,

Those players were let go from other clubs for a reason
Getting Fasolo
What do you think
A guy who can’t get a game despite all the injuries Collingwood have
Doesn’t tackle chase lazy as all @#$%&!
The rumour is a 3 year deal
What do you think of that

If it’s true it’s another example of a club with no idea

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 108  Next