Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:08 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Hay, Bondi, I like your post BUT unless we radically change the way we play the game, we will never kick enough goals to win games, whilst leaking goals at the other end.
We had 8 defenders in the defensive fifty tonight but they still managed to kick 165 points against them. That should be impossible BUT we had 2 vs six in our F50, which let them run four players down the ground to upset the defensive setup and kick about 8 goals from inside the square.
The good teams of the current and near future era have a run and stun game plan that is high risk unless you can execute your passes by hand and foot. We don't let our players run, which is against the trend of the game and suicidal in my opinion. On top of that, we insist on the chippy chippy turnover game in our defensive half followed by a kick down the line to a contest. MM invented that in the nineties and we are well past it or should be.
Week after week we watch teams run through the middle of the ground unimpeded. We don't defend the corridor, which in this climate is just plain stupid. Then tonight we saw Adelaide use the boundary as well and we let them do it all the way to the goal line on eight occasions or more.
Who do we pick that will take us up the ladder using the current game style? Another Cripps-type who revels in the contested game footy that is being phased out at the top of the ladder? Or do we look for a high possession ball winner with more outside skills and likes to carry the footy. Someone like SPS used to be as a junior but who now gets the ball and looks to dish it off as fast as possible laterally or backwards perhaps? Maybe we should ditch Pickett and Garlett while we're at it. They love to run and carry and play footy with flair but they don't fit the BB 1990's game style of contested footy and defensive acts. Put Pickett in the Richmond team and see how he goes.
I suggested we get Saad wen he was available and was laughed off the page because he is a spud. Well he seems to go OK at Essendon* because Essendon* has discovered (too late for this year) that running payers off the back line down the middle is the way to beat teams who set up a deep zone or flood. Teams like Carlton, for example.
BB plays such a structured game that there is no room in it for Garlett, Pickett, Saad or anybody who wants to run and carry because when they look up, there is never anybody in front of them to kick it to.
So who do we draft at #1? Walsh? Rankine? Smith? Lukosis? Someone else?
Who do we trade for? McGovern? A stoic mark and kick defender? Yep he fits the 90's style of footy we are playing. Get him. Stuff Hunt from Mebourne who just loves to be a 100 metre possession player.
Which FA do we want? Dahlhaus? He likes to run and carry so he's out.

It all comes down to the game plan. Unless we have one that will stack up against Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS, Essendon* and Hawthorn, we might as well consign ourselves to the bottom of the ladder for the next five years. It all comes down to the coach. Unless he can jump us up to about tenth next year on the back of your argument, he's gawn and we have to start another rebuild based on the list he put together to play his style of game.
I find that frightening.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Rowe, Murphy, Thomas, Ed, Kerridge.... they might great blokes and bubbly personalities but they are demoralising on the field. It’s deflating the young guys and it has to be acknowledged by the coaches if the club wants to improve.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:56 am 
Harry Vallence

It was hard to watch last night... almost cried....
Not sure re contracts, will not happen but should.
Gone,
Kerridge Rowe Graham Lobbe Wright
Lamb Mullett O'shea Casboult JGM Shaw
Alex Silvangi has pulled the pin.
Total of 12, could easily be 15.

Can we land Shiel McGovern Setterfield??
Roll on trade week....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am 
Geoff Southby

Surely Rowe, JGM, Graham, Shaw, Lebois and OShea have played their last games.
ASOS already gone.
See if anyone offers anything for Levi and take it.
Look at trading Jones.
Maybe Kerridge, Lamb, Mullett and Daisy one more year (VFL depth)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:25 am 
Robert Walls

blueboy23 wrote:
It was hard to watch last night... almost cried....
Not sure re contracts, will not happen but should.
Gone,
Kerridge Rowe Graham Lobbe Wright
Lamb Mullett O'shea Casboult JGM Shaw
Alex Silvangi has pulled the pin.
Total of 12, could easily be 15.

Can we land Shiel McGovern Setterfield??
Roll on trade week....

Mullett is one of the more accurate and natural kicks in our team. Watch that first goal. 55 m off one step
Should be played as winger HF
I don't care how maligned he is on this site, BB did not play to his strengths this year; get him into space forward of centre and either hit target in F50 or have a ping himself

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:31 am 
Ken Hunter

It looks like Rowe may be stranded on 99 games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Other than a few kids showing promise and Cripps
The worst year almost imaginable
Could only watch about half of last nights game

So many negatives

Bolton is a good people person but needs help tactically

As I have said before my belief is we have replaced too many spuds with spuds
With our recycled players
Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
Should never have been recruited
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks
Kennedy is just an average player
Rowe and Jones sent good enough either
Yet have been at the club for many years

Murphy has been crap for a number years but the club
Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line
The club need address where it’s heading far deeper
Than just wanting a priority pick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 am 
Harry Vallence

If you believe Mullett is in our best 22 looks like we will be playing of for the next 5 spoons... he is no good..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Hay, Bondi, I like your post BUT unless we radically change the way we play the game, we will never kick enough goals to win games, whilst leaking goals at the other end.
We had 8 defenders in the defensive fifty tonight but they still managed to kick 165 points against them. That should be impossible BUT we had 2 vs six in our F50, which let them run four players down the ground to upset the defensive setup and kick about 8 goals from inside the square.
The good teams of the current and near future era have a run and stun game plan that is high risk unless you can execute your passes by hand and foot. We don't let our players run, which is against the trend of the game and suicidal in my opinion. On top of that, we insist on the chippy chippy turnover game in our defensive half followed by a kick down the line to a contest. MM invented that in the nineties and we are well past it or should be.
Week after week we watch teams run through the middle of the ground unimpeded. We don't defend the corridor, which in this climate is just plain stupid. Then tonight we saw Adelaide use the boundary as well and we let them do it all the way to the goal line on eight occasions or more.
Who do we pick that will take us up the ladder using the current game style? Another Cripps-type who revels in the contested game footy that is being phased out at the top of the ladder? Or do we look for a high possession ball winner with more outside skills and likes to carry the footy. Someone like SPS used to be as a junior but who now gets the ball and looks to dish it off as fast as possible laterally or backwards perhaps? Maybe we should ditch Pickett and Garlett while we're at it. They love to run and carry and play footy with flair but they don't fit the BB 1990's game style of contested footy and defensive acts. Put Pickett in the Richmond team and see how he goes.
I suggested we get Saad wen he was available and was laughed off the page because he is a spud. Well he seems to go OK at Essendon** because Essendon** has discovered (too late for this year) that running payers off the back line down the middle is the way to beat teams who set up a deep zone or flood. Teams like Carlton, for example.
BB plays such a structured game that there is no room in it for Garlett, Pickett, Saad or anybody who wants to run and carry because when they look up, there is never anybody in front of them to kick it to.
So who do we draft at #1? Walsh? Rankine? Smith? Lukosis? Someone else?
Who do we trade for? McGovern? A stoic mark and kick defender? Yep he fits the 90's style of footy we are playing. Get him. Stuff Hunt from Mebourne who just loves to be a 100 metre possession player.
Which FA do we want? Dahlhaus? He likes to run and carry so he's out.

It all comes down to the game plan. Unless we have one that will stack up against Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS, Essendon** and Hawthorn, we might as well consign ourselves to the bottom of the ladder for the next five years. It all comes down to the coach. Unless he can jump us up to about tenth next year on the back of your argument, he's gawn and we have to start another rebuild based on the list he put together to play his style of game.
I find that frightening.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Other than a few kids showing promise and Cripps
The worst year almost imaginable
Could only watch about half of last nights game

So many negatives

Bolton is a good people person but needs help tactically

As I have said before my belief is we have replaced too many spuds with spuds
With our recycled players
Pickett
Lang
Kerridge
Lamb
Mullet
OShea
Garlett
Shaw
Should never have been recruited
They ain’t good enough
Plowman
Marchbank
Are barely pass marks
Kennedy is just an average player
Rowe and Jones sent good enough either
Yet have been at the club for many years

Murphy has been crap for a number years but the club
Give him 2 years
Should be delisted

Bottom line
The club need address where it’s heading far deeper
Than just wanting a priority pick

Pickett, Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy all have talent. Picket looked like a jet before he got injured pre-season....never recovered from there. Similar stories for Marchbank and Kennedy.
Garlett also has talent.....he had a year out of football so willing to give him time. In fact, all of these guys outside of Plowman went into the season aged 21 and under.
We've thrown talent away before and regretted it later. Let's be patient

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
It looks like Rowe may be stranded on 99 games.

it's a shame but can we carry him for one more year so he gets to 100?
he was dreadful last night and has been for many of this years games

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

I would immediately delist-

Graham
Kerridge
Mullett
O’Shea
Rowe
Wright
A. Silvagni*(ret)
Shaw*

Casboult has a year to run on his contract (I think), and it’s highly unlikely another club will trade for him, so he stays on the list. Forward/ruck depth VFL back-up.

Lamb has done enough to retain his spot on the list.

I’m not sure of the contract situation of Garlett & Lang, but if they are uncontracted they might be this year’s Palmer & Smedts.

Hard to call JGM* & LeBois*. They are probably gone, but I’m not sure. JGM looks like the type of player who could be a late developer- maybe as a forward - and LeBois fits a needs category for us (if he can stay on the park).

Simmo & Thomas to go around again (if they have the desire to do so).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The deflators just have to go, contracted or not. We all know who they are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Lang has been quite disappointing this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:23 pm 
Robert Walls

blueboy23 wrote:
If you believe Mullett is in our best 22 looks like we will be playing of for the next 5 spoons... he is no good..

His kicking is better than at least 20 other players. Natural left footer
Not saying he is in the best 22 but he has one core attribute that half our list doesn't

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

99prelim wrote:
blueboy23 wrote:

His kicking is better than at least 20 other players. Natural left footer
Not saying he is in the best 22 but he has one core attribute that half our list doesn't

I have never seen a team with worse skills than ours this year. It's just unacceptable at this level.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
I would immediately delist-

Graham
Kerridge
Mullett
O’Shea
Rowe
Wright
A. Silvagni*(ret)
Shaw*

Casboult has a year to run on his contract (I think), and it’s highly unlikely another club will trade for him, so he stays on the list. Forward/ruck depth VFL back-up.

Lamb has done enough to retain his spot on the list.

I’m not sure of the contract situation of Garlett & Lang, but if they are uncontracted they might be this year’s Palmer & Smedts.

Hard to call JGM* & LeBois*. They are probably gone, but I’m not sure. JGM looks like the type of player who could be a late developer- maybe as a forward - and LeBois fits a needs category for us (if he can stay on the park).

Simmo & Thomas to go around again (if they have the desire to do so).

I agree with your 8 although i reckon they'll keep wright - seems a coach favourite.

i'd like to see lang and garlett have another go at it...lang in particular looks like he needs a big pre season. both have some talent.
i still think long term we need to find a bigger body shut down defender to free up weitering and marchbank to do their intercepting
can JGM develop into that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:31 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Pickett and Garlett have a ton of natural talent. Bolton has questions to answer why they dropped off in the second half of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Pickett and Garlett have a ton of natural talent. Bolton has questions to answer why they dropped off in the second half of the year.

Haven't they been injured?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:

Pickett injured again, Garlett rumoured to have “issues” on Carlton podcast.

#GUILTY

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 108  Next