Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Plowman had a great year last year and finished 6th in b&f.

Might be a touch out of form right now but wouldn’t be Robinson Caruso in that regard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 pm 
Wayne Johnston

The Plow deal followed by the Touhy trade is starting took like a bust and really looks to make no sense.
We would have found another way to get Marchbank.

I think we have slashed too hard and made the rebuild more difficult than it had to be by leaving not a lot of experienced players on the list.

Perhaps we have all got a bit excited at trade time.

We will have to offer a huge contract or two to get good experienced players to come to the club but i think it is required.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

club29 wrote:

I think we have slashed too hard and made the rebuild more difficult than it had to be by leaving not a lot of experienced players on the list.

Perhaps we have all got a bit excited at trade time.

Thank you. :clap:
The Gibbs deal was the iceing ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We could have picked a ready made footballer in the draft.
Geelong got him: kelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

club29 wrote:
The Plow deal followed by the Touhy trade is starting took like a bust and really looks to make no sense.
We would have found another way to get Marchbank.

The Plow deal was quite reasonable. Pick #30 for Plowman, Phillips, Lamb and Sumner.
The Marchbank deal was a clear win for us and the only other way to get him would have been by giving up the draft selection (pick 6?) which landed us SPS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

With which pick...? He was pick 24 sandwiched right between our pick 10 and pik 30.

If we had picked him with 10 the outcry would've been worse than Boekhorst.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The more I look at it, the more SOS is starting to look pretty ordinary.

The draft picks may or may not work out ok......SPS has talent but has gone backwards this year, although way too early to write him off. Williamson and Fish are good, and McReadie should deliver. Cunners has talent and should improve. Harry is the big unknown, Dow is not the best kick (hardly the Hawks model Bolts ?) so pick 3 hmmmm, and LOB appears ok.

But it's the experienced pick ups that are a worry. Mullet and O'Shea are battlers and won't be there in 2 years. Phillips is a huge query, and Lamb and Sumner were poor selections. Shaw is yet to play but on what we've seen of him don't hold your breath. Happy to wait for Kennedy to be injury free before judging him but gee we need him to deliver. Plowman is a pass mark, but not playing well at the mo'. Marchbank and Wright are by far the best of our more experienced pick ups.

We need to get better quality more experienced players to allow our kids to develop. No good having a truck load of youth if they get smashed each week and get no example to follow from our experienced players. The Hawks pick up a guy like Impey.....while we get Mullet. Until we stop this crap we're going nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dow’s kicking is because he’s trying to belt the cover off it rather than settling.

Mind you, in this side, ain’t got time to settle with the ball.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

MIL wrote:

The draft picks may or may not work out ok......SPS has talent but has gone backwards this year, although way too early to write him off. Williamson and Fish are good, and McReadie should deliver. Cunners has talent and should improve. Harry is the big unknown, Dow is not the best kick (hardly the Hawks model Bolts ?) so pick 3 hmmmm, and LOB appears ok.

But it's the experienced pick ups that are a worry. Mullet and O'Shea are battlers and won't be there in 2 years. Phillips is a huge query, and Lamb and Sumner were poor selections. Shaw is yet to play but on what we've seen of him don't hold your breath. Happy to wait for Kennedy to be injury free before judging him but gee we need him to deliver. Plowman is a pass mark, but not playing well at the mo'. Marchbank and Wright are by far the best of our more experienced pick ups.
e.

Most of the players you name cost nothing or we’re steajkbivws in a deal.
Mullett and O Shea wouldn’t be playing we hadn’t had so many backline injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Dominator_7 wrote:
MIL wrote:

e.

Most of the players you name cost nothing or we’re steajkbivws in a deal.
Mullett and O Shea wouldn’t be playing we hadn’t had so many backline injuries.
Glad we got that guy over from Iceland - Steajkbivws. He's a gun.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm 
Ken Hands

If Wines is available at the end of the year I'd do what it takes to get him

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Let’s face facts, whatever list management decisions Carlton makes it is going to be a 3rd tier team for some while. I don’t watch the NRL but at least their games are much more unpredictable.

The AFL should stop worrying about gender fluidity, refugees, religious minorities and being social justice warriors and worry about why the game is made up of 3 tier teams as early as 4 matches into the season.

1st tier- Sydney (year after year and never in a “rebuild”), GWS, Richmond etc teams competing for flag

Btw Why does Sydney never need to rebuild? Are the AFL’s equalising measures really working?

2nd tier- generally competitive against most teams and perhaps building for 1st tier eg Port

3rd tier- teams that have no hope of victory against 1st and 2nd tier teams for 90% of time eg Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Why are these teams cellar dwellers year after year? Is it all due to poor list management decisions or is there something structurally wrong with AFL?

Do good players want to get out of these clubs ASAP? Free agency? Is the draft really an equalising mechanism?

NRL = unpredictable by 30% more where underdogs win
AFL = does anyone really want to tip Carlton against West Coast? Or Brisbane vs Geelong? We know the results of these matches before they are played.

The game has a problem. Results are easy to pick. Carlton nailing one draft pick per year isn’t going to fix anything.

In an entertainment business you need unpredictability. At least 2 to 3 matches each weekend are highly predictable in terms of the result. The AFL should focus on this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Repeated.

Last edited by tap in 79 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

tap in 79 wrote:
Let’s face facts, whatever list management decisions Carlton makes it is going to be a 3rd tier team for some while. I don’t watch the NRL but at least their games are much more unpredictable.

The AFL should stop worrying about gender fluidity, refugees, religious minorities and being social justice warriors and worry about why the game is made up of 3 tier teams as early as 4 matches into the season.

1st tier- Sydney (year after year and never in a “rebuild”), GWS, Richmond etc teams competing for flag

Btw Why does Sydney never need to rebuild? Are the AFL’s equalising measures really working?

2nd tier- generally competitive against most teams and perhaps building for 1st tier eg Port

3rd tier- teams that have no hope of victory against 1st and 2nd tier teams for 90% of time eg Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Why are these teams cellar dwellers year after year? Is it all due to poor list management decisions or is there something structurally wrong with AFL?

Do good players want to get out of these clubs ASAP? Free agency? Is the draft really an equalising mechanism?

NRL = unpredictable by 30% more where underdogs win
AFL = does anyone really want to tip Carlton against West Coast? Or Brisbane vs Geelong? We know the results of these matches before they are played.

The game has a problem. Results are easy to pick. Carlton nailing one draft pick per year isn’t going to fix anything.

In an entertainment business you need unpredictability. At least 2 to 3 matches each weekend are highly predictable in terms of the result. The AFL should focus on this.

So you picked Richmond and the Bulldogs to win flags the last 2 years? Nothing predictable in that.
Someone has to be bottom and because of a ineptitude the last 5 years its us. Agree 1 draft pick doesn't do anything and PP should come back for any side finishing 2-3 years in a row finishing bottom 3 etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I haven't got much of a problem with the players we've drafted or recruited in general since SOS got the gig, but he's rooted any chance of Bolts being competitive ATM.

Loading up with 4 recycled HBF's this season was a disaster for a team with no midfield support.

That we didn't at least try to pick up one or two high possession mids from WAFL / SANFL etc has left us uncompetitive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

cimm1979 wrote:
I haven't got much of a problem with the players we've drafted or recruited in general since SOS got the gig, but he's rooted any chance of Bolts being competitive ATM.

Loading up with 4 recycled HBF's this season was a disaster for a team with no midfield support.

That we didn't at least try to pick up one or two high possession mids from WAFL / SANFL etc has left us uncompetitive.

I agree. One or 2 inside type Mids would have been good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

More than half the list should be midfielders or capable of playing midfield.
In a list of 44 . At least 22 should be mids

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:58 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Sydney Blue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

More than half the list should be midfielders or capable of playing midfield.
In a list of 44 . At least 22 should be mids

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep ... absolutely agree.

We have too many talls on our list.

Talls at Carlton.

Casboult
C Curnow
Weitering
Marchbank
Macreadie
Jones
Rowe
Kerr
Plowman
McKay
Kreuzer
Phillips
Lobbe
A Silvagni
De Koning
Glasse-McCasker

Next year we get another in Ben Silvagni.

We need to load up on midfielders ... Oh Really? Sorry ... stating the obvious.

Immediate purge required at end of year.

Row, Lobbe ... not because I don't think they are of value ... we just need to get rid of some talls.
Glasse-McCasker
Graham, Kerridge, Mullet, O'Shea, Polson, Shaw because they are List Cloggers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

MIL wrote:

We need to get better quality more experienced players to allow our kids to develop. No good having a truck load of youth if they get smashed each week and get no example to follow from our experienced players. The Hawks pick up a guy like Impey.....while we get Mullet. Until we stop this crap we're going nowhere.

So SOS has done well with Williamson, Fish, Macreadie, Cuningham. (Curnow who you conveniently forgot about). SPS, Dow and O'Brien it's too early to call on. And Harry is the unknown. Lets not even mention Garlett hey?

How do you think that compares to other recruiters? Which ones have performed better?

As for established players, Marchbank is a star IMO, Lamb has been very serviceable, Plowman has been a constant in our backline and Phillips has been often injured but IMHO, he towelled up Brayden Preuss on the weekend who is a highly rated up and coming ruckman. Phillips is 26 so he's coming into his prime as a ruckman. Kennedy was highly sought by a number of clubs and he chose us. Thats a bonus. He'll be a very good player.

I understand people are looking for answers after a poor start this season but lets be realistic in our assessments. Yes our list is unbalanced at the moment but it will balance out after another draft. We did the right thing chasing KPP first because they require more time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't think SOS is a problem. he's turning over the list, i think he's neglected pace and delisting a few of our faster guys at the end of last season like Buckley has left a hole.

development is the concern.

as of right now, SPS, Weitering, McKay, and a handful of others either haven't come along, or have taken a step or two backwards from their rookie years. and that is alarm bells. whether it's bolton's coaching, or the line coaches and development strategy, if it's not fixed soon, we'll lose another whole generation of high picks to mediocrity.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 108  Next