Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

hannebury would be like a luke hodge type of FA ... bring him in to help the kids show them the professionalism it takes to win etc.

but in saying that, i wouldn't touch him. unlike hodge who can still impact a game defensively and play a role ... hannebury doesn't have much game if he's not running in the middle, and he doesn't have the same motor he used to for the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
id trade 1, if we get a High PP at 2 or 3.

Blues 1, 3 Gold Coast 2, 4 etc..

Id trade the 1 or 3 to Adelaide for 8 and 13 (or whatever they have)

so would end up with 3, 8 ,13, 24, 26 ? trade 8 or 13 to GWS for Sheil and use 3 for Walsh.

Walsh, Shiel, 8 or 13, trade 24 (Wallis), 26 (Dalhaus)

Walsh, Sheil, Wallis, Dalhaus with Cripps, Fisher, Dow, SPS, Curnow and still have 8 or 13 ... that would be enourmous for carlton.

thats an instant midfield fix right there. I think our defense is okay when fit (Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank, Williamson etc..) and Curnow and McKay (Pickett, Gartlett, Wright) have all the signs of being what we are after. I'd like to see Murphy as either a small half bank flanker or half forward flanker, reckon he could add 30 goals a year etc..

I really dont think we are that far away, and alot could change, and change quickly if we got a High PP and used it well and got the right players in.

Weitering - Jones - Plowman
Docherty - Marchbank - Williamson
Murphy - Cripps - O Brien
Fischer - Curnow - Dalhaus
Picket - McKay - Wright

followers Shiel, Dow, Kruzer
int Wallis, Walsh, Curnow, Kennedy

wtih Pick 8, Kerr, DeKoning, Garlett, SPS, Cunningham, Polson, SOS, SPS etc.. all coming in and out of the side, pending their performance and the performance of other players ...

Use FA or Pick next year to get Josh Kelly ... and wowee ...

Strongly agree with most of this post.
We are having a terrible year and I am starting to question whether Bolton has or is building the right game plan. However, I realise that the road is a bit longer than first thought and held back this year due to personnel but which might well accelerate us in coming years through exposure of more young’ns.

It was only a few months ago that several commentators were rating our list better than Collingwood’s.
Not saying that ours is better but I am saying that people can tend to get a bit hysterical about a team’s fortunes and then flip their views on a dime.
The Saints were pushing for Top 8 at the beginning of the year and now are considered by many to have a bottom four list.
The Giants were done once Cameron wa rubbed out.
The Kangas were dead cents for bottom two, most had them winning the wooden spoon. And within a few weeks, some were saying they could win the flag.
We’d be absolute fools to get spooked by all the commentary!

SOS was spot on saying we need to bring in some experience but depends on who and not at any cost.
We must evaluate our options on their merits, and based on what we genuinely believe we have and need. As well as factoring in the talent available now, and in the coming years.

PS. Not sure there are many ‘Hodge-like’ recruits hanging around out there who would do a better job than Simpson. Hodge is a pretty rare breed.

Last edited by 17th Premiership on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
hannebury would be like a luke hodge type of FA ... bring him in to help the kids show them the professionalism it takes to win etc.

but in saying that, i wouldn't touch him. unlike hodge who can still impact a game defensively and play a role ... hannebury doesn't have much game if he's not running in the middle, and he doesn't have the same motor he used to for the middle.

Hannebury looked cooked early last year then came good.
He looks battered and bruised for mine. Probably cooked.

Would like him at the club, but I wouldnt be paying much

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

A big no from me -other senior players would be better -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fre ... 4zsr8.html

This really is a "nothing" sort of article. It's like the author just started throwing around some thoughts in his head and then realised he had a deadline so put all the nonsense into print. However ... he did make the following observation which I've heard before and ... :mad: :mad: :mad: (So I'm posting it here for therapy)

It's difficult to argue rules around the draft system should be changed to help clubs such as Carlton when they have so demonstrably failed at the draft themselves.

Of the 29 national draft picks Carlton had between 2007 and 14, only four are still at the club. They are Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Sam Rowe and Nick Graham, and, really, only two should still be there.

Right then - our drafting has been poor for an extended period and the club is struggling, so logically then the last thing that the AFL should be considering is giving us more draft picks. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

BigKev wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-but-only-to-a-good-home-20180720-p4zsr8.html

This really is a "nothing" sort of article. It's like the author just started throwing around some thoughts in his head and then realised he had a deadline so put all the nonsense into print. However ... he did make the following observation which I've heard before and ... :mad: :mad: :mad: (So I'm posting it here for therapy)

It's difficult to argue rules around the draft system should be changed to help clubs such as Carlton when they have so demonstrably failed at the draft themselves.

Of the 29 national draft picks Carlton had between 2007 and 14, only four are still at the club. They are Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Sam Rowe and Nick Graham, and, really, only two should still be there.

Right then - our drafting has been poor for an extended period and the club is struggling, so logically then the last thing that the AFL should be considering is giving us more draft picks. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sigh.

Gold coast /Not so much Gws/ are going well considering 30 first round draft picks between them?
Lets not forget monitary donations!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Trigger wrote:
BigKev wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-but-only-to-a-good-home-20180720-p4zsr8.html

Sigh.

Gold coast /Not so much Gws/ are going well considering 30 first round draft picks between them?

We are incompetent, but not as much as the AFL!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Sigh.

Then we can add st kilda , Nth Melb, bulldogs, brisbane, extra donations just for the money from tv rights to keep them afloat !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Sigh.

Then we can add st kilda , Nth Melb, bulldogs, brisbane, extra donations just for the money from tv rights to keep them afloat !!

Then we bring in an equalisation TAX !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Trigger wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Sigh.

Then we bring in an equalisation TAX !!

Public Service Mentality!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
echo

echo

echo

echo

echo

echo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Someone has a problem with his keyboard, and does't not know it !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Trigger wrote:
Someone has a problem with his keyboard, and does't not know it !

Fortunately we have the five embedded quotes rule on here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am 
Harry Vallence

I'd be pretty keen on seeing whether Travis Boak is available at the end of the year, especially if Port are also keen on the #1 pick.

At the moment, behind Rockliff, Wines and Powell-Pepper for an inside mid spot and not particularly fantastic as a permanent forward, but still providing plenty to justify he's of AFL standard. Leadership capabilities vastly underrated when you consider where they've come from in playing in front of tarps and a dog each week. Probably still has about 3 years of footy ahead of him.

Boak, Port's first pick, the 2nd rounder they got from St Kilda and Joe Atley would convince me to part with pick 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
I'd be pretty keen on seeing whether Travis Boak is available at the end of the year, especially if Port are also keen on the #1 pick.

At the moment, behind Rockliff, Wines and Powell-Pepper for an inside mid spot and not particularly fantastic as a permanent forward, but still providing plenty to justify he's of AFL standard. Leadership capabilities vastly underrated when you consider where they've come from in playing in front of tarps and a dog each week. Probably still has about 3 years of footy ahead of him.

Boak, Port's first pick, the 2nd rounder they got from St Kilda and Joe Atley would convince me to part with pick 1.

Err, no thanks.
Book is a good leader but I think way overrated as a player.
We should not be panicked into getting in a Hodge-like replacement b/c a) there is only one L.Hodge and b) things turn around pretty quickly in the afl:
- Richmond were smashed by St Kilda worse than we were by Hawthorn about 1 year ago
- Commentators thought we had a better list than Coll earlier this season
- We have prioritised drafting a spine which takes a few years longer to develop and are now in the midst of building out our mids. It’s a good plan. Let it grow.

Happy to bring in some experience but not at the expense of high draft picks or too much cash (except maybe for a genuine top tier jet - and even then, I’d wait another year or so to pull the trigger on a Kelly/Shiel type player).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:02 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Err, no thanks.
Book is a good leader but I think way overrated as a player.
We should not be panicked into getting in a Hodge-like replacement b/c a) there is only one L.Hodge and b) things turn around pretty quickly in the afl:
- Richmond were smashed by St Kilda worse than we were by Hawthorn about 1 year ago
- Commentators thought we had a better list than Coll earlier this season
- We have prioritised drafting a spine which takes a few years longer to develop and are now in the midst of building out our mids. It’s a good plan. Let it grow.

Happy to bring in some experience but not at the expense of high draft picks or too much cash (except maybe for a genuine top tier jet - and even then, I’d wait another year or so to pull the trigger on a Kelly/Shiel type player).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

the mind wobbles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:
the mind wobbles.

and we would get a home ground advantage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigKev wrote:

Sigh.

It would be interesting to see how many players drafted during this period are on other AFL lists.
Maybe not poor drafting by us but rather player retention.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

Braithy wrote:
the mind wobbles.

I counted at least 8 spelling errors.
No question mark, commas or a full stop.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 108  Next