Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

tap in 79 wrote:
scottopee wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
scottopee wrote:
Geez some people need to find another sport where the mean and nasty AFL can't hurt them!! The club has :censored: it up for 17yrs and need to continue to fix the current problems and probably the same people who wanted Pagan or Malthouse signed or Ratten sacked are the ones whinging on here now about how bad it is!!
Do I agree with everything the club does? No! But we have finally gone down the track of using the draft which will benefit us for a decent period of time not just short term.

The present status quo isn't working.

Wow 40% AFL fault for the Carlton predicament please that's ridicules! The club is 95% responsible for the way we have ended up and maybe 5% AFL for smashing us with the draft penalties even though we deserved part of it. To me it's 100% the fault of the members and supporters who demanded we get Pagan or Malthouse or sack Ratten because he isn't a premiership coach the let's go and get the best we're Carlton mentality. The JOHN ELLIOT'S of the world.

1. I have no problem the AFL funding non AFL markets and doing research the 9th game now with Gold Coast and GWS is worth about 57million which seems to fund both clubs anyway. Sydney were in the middle of the teams funded so I don't see that one. As long as the salary cap is the same I don't see a relation to us being crap because of funding?

2. Absolutely agree with draft and salary cap. Yes the draft needs a bit of work to help the sides down the bottom over so many years but the notion of the draft is fine. Free agency needs a heap of work but simply put it was brought in by the players association and not the AFL. When we get better we can use it to our advantage.

As for Gibbs and Tuohy both wanted to go so I don't know what you are saying. No real compensation? We ended up with Marchbank for Touhy which will be like watching Josh Kennedy run around long after Judd retired when Touhy pulls the pin. Not sold on Kennedy and O'Brien for Gibbs but time will tell and Gibbs wanted to go so I don't really get this no compensation thing as we got players/draft picks in return. If we had your old zones and everyone is a free agent like the past then we would have got nothing for Gibbs and Touhy so I don't know what your argument is??

Scottopee, re: point 1 - my point was I don't know how you appropriate blame for Carlton's predicament. For some people, they will say it is 30% Elliott's fault/legacy, others will say 90% Carlton presidents' fault etc...for me though definitely the AFL is a large part to blame. I can't say whether it is 40%, 30% or 50% or some other percentage. How do you work out something like that?

1- You have no problems with the way the AFL has implemented their "expansion" program. Well that is your decision. You backed it up with some statistics that help your argument. I could equally refer to statistics that say it is ridiculous for a country with just 25 million people to have 18 professional football teams when you compare it to the USA which has 30 or 32 professional football teams in a population of 330 million people.

What's more, Australia has competing football codes whilst in the USA there is only really one football code.

2- The draft/salary cap/free agency is in my opinion a joke. Ask yourself- why has Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn made about every single finals series in the last 15 years? How is that possible in this time of "equalisation". Doesn't the media tell us that the draft/salary cap "equalises" the competition? Does/has the AFL give direct and indirect help to any of these 3 clubs>? What is the point of having "equalisation" if some clubs get given certain advantages others don't get?

Contrast to the NRL - no draft, no free agency - and bingo!! Not one single team has won back to back premierships since 1992/93...if you exclude the super league bit. Now how is that possible? Shouldn't the AFL be looking at the NRL to work out how they do it?
Tap I think the AFL would have preferred to relocate clubs rather than expand. But clubd wouldn't do it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:
scottopee wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
scottopee wrote:
Geez some people need to find another sport where the mean and nasty AFL can't hurt them!! The club has :censored: it up for 17yrs and need to continue to fix the current problems and probably the same people who wanted Pagan or Malthouse signed or Ratten sacked are the ones whinging on here now about how bad it is!!
Do I agree with everything the club does? No! But we have finally gone down the track of using the draft which will benefit us for a decent period of time not just short term.

The present status quo isn't working.

Wow 40% AFL fault for the Carlton predicament please that's ridicules! The club is 95% responsible for the way we have ended up and maybe 5% AFL for smashing us with the draft penalties even though we deserved part of it. To me it's 100% the fault of the members and supporters who demanded we get Pagan or Malthouse or sack Ratten because he isn't a premiership coach the let's go and get the best we're Carlton mentality. The JOHN ELLIOT'S of the world.

1. I have no problem the AFL funding non AFL markets and doing research the 9th game now with Gold Coast and GWS is worth about 57million which seems to fund both clubs anyway. Sydney were in the middle of the teams funded so I don't see that one. As long as the salary cap is the same I don't see a relation to us being crap because of funding?

2. Absolutely agree with draft and salary cap. Yes the draft needs a bit of work to help the sides down the bottom over so many years but the notion of the draft is fine. Free agency needs a heap of work but simply put it was brought in by the players association and not the AFL. When we get better we can use it to our advantage.

As for Gibbs and Tuohy both wanted to go so I don't know what you are saying. No real compensation? We ended up with Marchbank for Touhy which will be like watching Josh Kennedy run around long after Judd retired when Touhy pulls the pin. Not sold on Kennedy and O'Brien for Gibbs but time will tell and Gibbs wanted to go so I don't really get this no compensation thing as we got players/draft picks in return. If we had your old zones and everyone is a free agent like the past then we would have got nothing for Gibbs and Touhy so I don't know what your argument is??

Scottopee, re: point 1 - my point was I don't know how you appropriate blame for Carlton's predicament. For some people, they will say it is 30% Elliott's fault/legacy, others will say 90% Carlton presidents' fault etc...for me though definitely the AFL is a large part to blame. I can't say whether it is 40%, 30% or 50% or some other percentage. How do you work out something like that?

1- You have no problems with the way the AFL has implemented their "expansion" program. Well that is your decision. You backed it up with some statistics that help your argument. I could equally refer to statistics that say it is ridiculous for a country with just 25 million people to have 18 professional football teams when you compare it to the USA which has 30 or 32 professional football teams in a population of 330 million people.

What's more, Australia has competing football codes whilst in the USA there is only really one football code.

2- The draft/salary cap/free agency is in my opinion a joke. Ask yourself- why has Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn made about every single finals series in the last 15 years? How is that possible in this time of "equalisation". Doesn't the media tell us that the draft/salary cap "equalises" the competition? Does/has the AFL give direct and indirect help to any of these 3 clubs>? What is the point of having "equalisation" if some clubs get given certain advantages others don't get?

Contrast to the NRL - no draft, no free agency - and bingo!! Not one single team has won back to back premierships since 1992/93...if you exclude the super league bit. Now how is that possible? Shouldn't the AFL be looking at the NRL to work out how they do it?

The NRL doesn't have a draft because there is no real feeder system.
The NFL has a draft and a salary cap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:26 pm 
Bert Deacon

plowman to slow (simple)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sam McClure reporting that Cripps has agreed to a 2 year contract extension taking him to 2021 and Charlie has agreed to a 4 year extension to 2023. Both will be free agents at the end of their contracts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm 
Garry Crane

It is the Pooper Scooper, but still:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/you ... 4zl8y.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm 
Garry Crane

kezza wrote:
Sam McClure reporting that Cripps has agreed to a 2 year contract extension taking him to 2021 and Charlie has agreed to a 4 year extension to 2023. Both will be free agents at the end of their contracts.

By my reckoning, that would make them restricted free agents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

No its not.They should have been signed for life......................already dreading the feeding frenzy when they become available on the market.Reckon Cripps will make the Dusty deal look like chicken feed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

No its not.They should have been signed for life......................already dreading the feeding frenzy when they become available on the market.Reckon Cripps will make the Dusty deal look like chicken feed.

It's why we have to strike now for free agency and trade for elite talent like Wines and front load their contracts for 2 yrs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

It's why we have to strike now for free agency and trade for elite talent like Wines and front load their contracts for 2 yrs.

Yeah,true Rexy,but you know what I'm trying to say.Im nervous.Cripps and Charlie are the most talented players to come into the joint in a helluva long time and i do not want to get players in no matter how good they are if it jeopordizes our ability to retain these two guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

The way I see it is we have 3 years to get our act together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

Yeah,true Rexy,but you know what I'm trying to say.Im nervous.Cripps and Charlie are the most talented players to come into the joint in a helluva long time and i do not want to get players in no matter how good they are if it jeopordizes our ability to retain these two guns.

I reckon you, me, SOS and Juddy are on the same page Mick. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
The way I see it is we have 3 years to get our act together.
Spot on Kezza.

'we're building something special' won't last forever, unless we're building it.
:wink:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sounds very good but the source being the Pooper Scooper is a real worry
The Pooper makes things up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

frank dardew wrote:
Sounds very good but the source being the Pooper Scooper is a real worry
The Pooper makes things up

I'm thinking it was a strategic leak to ease members minds and to give the club time to work on potential new FA/trade contract terms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm 
Horrie Clover

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/13/ ... -the-club/
Nice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:

Fantastic!

No player manager in the world would've let them sign past the year they become eligible to be a free agent. They're elite talents in a shit team, it's great that they've signed on with us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 am 
Vale 1953-2020

jamespul65 wrote:
plowman to slow (simple)
Yep. Slow cut us apart last time, so good move. And also E. Curnow too Fyfe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
plowman to slow (simple)

:twisted:

Post subject: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 am 
Wayne Johnston

moshe25 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
plowman to slow (simple)

I rather suggest Curnow two Fyfe.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 108  Next