Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Classic TC, torches and pitchforks over a trade rumour in August.

:lol: ...The Shiel talk surprises me because I keep hearing if he moved back to Victoria he'd prefer to go to the Bombres.

I'd expect to hear that from Bombers fans.

All the talk, all the rumours plus the fact his family are Carlton tragics, and he was before playing for GWS. But I wouldnt be surprised if his 2nd team/ heart belongs with Carlton. There's also the relationship his has with SOS, as do his parents and his player manager.

I'm sure every team's list manager would be having the discussion with Shiel's manager.

Where did you hear the Bomber rumour?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Hence the need to trade for him this year and not wait for free agency.

Can't see him blocking a trade to us.

If the rumuor Doc hears is possible.

SOS nips it at the bud.

I wonder if Shiel's manager started the Bomber rumour.
Wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:31 am 
Geoff Southby

Starting to get nervous.People can change there minds and leave you in the lurch at the last minute.Our last two months have hurt.......................Adam Treloar was a fanatical Blues fan that was headed our way but got a change of heart at the last gasp.................So , don't count your chickens before they hatch.And as far as paying overs thats standard if you really want a bloke into the place.........I know if i really want something i always would pay more.You either want something or you don't.So,if SOS has got his heart set on getting Shiel and happens to pay overs you won't hear a complaint from me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
Shiel is an absolute gun (as a Sydneysider I watch a lot of GWS) and I think his age is about right - pretty much 2 years to the day older than Paddy the First. He and Cripps would be the lead midfielders in their prime, Murph and Ed as the old heads, with SPS, Fisher, Kennedy and Dow leading the younger set. Didn't realise Shiel was a Carlton fan, so that helps. But I have to agree that a straight swap for #1 would be paying overs. I like the idea of offering a 2019 first-rounder, in the hope that GWS sees that as a top-5 pick, when in reality it could be in the 8-10 range. Alternatively, we can hope the AFL does us a favour with a very high PP that could be swapped for Shiel. If we have Shiel and Walsh next year (admittedly I know nothing of Walsh, just going on TC hype) then our mid-term prospects would suddenly be looking pretty tasty.

He's good but IMO he shanks too many kicks and is not quite in the best of the best discussion.

Kelly gets the tag but Shiel doesn't exploit that enough IMO - what if he comes to Carlton and does get the tag?

Add to that the shoulder problems and the club has to be very careful about a trade.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Kelly and Coniglio are also out of contract next year. Target one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Coniglio more likely to go to Eagles/Dockers being from WA.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Shiel is an absolute gun (as a Sydneysider I watch a lot of GWS) and I think his age is about right - pretty much 2 years to the day older than Paddy the First. He and Cripps would be the lead midfielders in their prime, Murph and Ed as the old heads, with SPS, Fisher, Kennedy and Dow leading the younger set. Didn't realise Shiel was a Carlton fan, so that helps. But I have to agree that a straight swap for #1 would be paying overs. I like the idea of offering a 2019 first-rounder, in the hope that GWS sees that as a top-5 pick, when in reality it could be in the 8-10 range. Alternatively, we can hope the AFL does us a favour with a very high PP that could be swapped for Shiel. If we have Shiel and Walsh next year (admittedly I know nothing of Walsh, just going on TC hype) then our mid-term prospects would suddenly be looking pretty tasty.

He's good but IMO he shanks too many kicks and is not quite in the best of the best discussion.

Kelly gets the tag but Shiel doesn't exploit that enough IMO - what if he comes to Carlton and does get the tag?

Add to that the shoulder problems and the club has to be very careful about a trade.

Can't see that happening while Crippa is playing, but as long as he's better then Murphy or Gibbs when they get tagged.

The best part would be, they can't tag all of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Pick 1 -> Adelaide
Picks 8 & 13 -> GWS
Kelly -> Carlton

Kelly gets $2M upfront and $1M every year after that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
Hence the need to trade for him this year and not wait for free agency.

Can't see him blocking a trade to us.

I can't see your logic there Gro. It sounds like your saying that if it's a trade Shiel will go to us, but if it's FA he'll go to the cheats. Why?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

People seem to like the Bombers... I have no idea why...??

I can't blame free agents for not wanting to come to us...what they would be seeing of us on the surface isn't very attractive.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
Pick 1 -> Adelaide
Picks 8 & 13 -> GWS
Kelly -> Carlton

Kelly gets $2M upfront and $1M every year after that.

Last thing he would entertain would be going to pathetic Carlton.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Looking at today, I can't see us being any thing but bottom 4 for years to come.

It took Melbourne 10 years, Brisbane haven't played finals since 09, we're 3 years into this.

what if it gets worse?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
Looking at today, I can't see us being any thing but bottom 4 for years to come.

It took Melbourne 10 years, Brisbane haven't played finals since 09, we're 3 years into this.

what if it gets worse?

Agree, the way things look we'll be bottom 4 for at least the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

2019 Season should start our new era.
66 week rebuild complete.

NEW: Docherty Williamson Plowman Fisher Kreuzer Pick 1 TRADE TRADE Pick 19 FA
PRESEASON: McKay Curnow SPS Dow OBrien Lang Pickett Kennedy Marchbank Macreadie Schumacher DeKoning

2020 NEW: FA TRADE TRADE

Carlton have got 10 picks to trade for good players 23-27yo in the next 2 drafts. I can't see why we can't make the finals in 2020.

Things will improve in 2019 from the 'get go'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:51 am 
formerly BlueRob

Things can change very quickly game to game. Last year we beat GWS by a point. We are missing so many players that will make a big difference next year.

Try not to be too negative. If at the end of 2019 we are still struggling then we are probably many years away. I think we will dramatically improve next year because of:

1. Players coming back into the team from injury.
    2. Another year under the belt for youngsters.
    3. Recruitment of another experienced (B+ or A grade) player ... hoping.
    4. Recruitment of either Rankine (ready to go) or 2 top 10 picks.

I am getting old ... It's only football ... but it would be so good to see another premiership.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 am 
formerly King Kenny

DesEnglish wrote:

what if it gets worse?

We got thumped by the most talented team in the league. I’m not too worried. Was always going to be a thumping.

Amazing what a preseason will do for this group.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Normal One wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

what if it gets worse?

We got thumped by the most talented team in the league. I’m not too worried. Was always going to be a thumping.

Amazing what a preseason will do for this group.

A team that in the main, SOS built.

Except for some injuries they would be there or thereabouts.

Yes they had a crap load of picks but he got a lot right even ones like Ahern. A few misses definitely (Jaksch, Sumner).

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
2019 Season should start our new era.
66 week rebuild complete.

NEW: Docherty Williamson Plowman Fisher Kreuzer Pick 1 TRADE TRADE Pick 19 FA
PRESEASON: McKay Curnow SPS Dow OBrien Lang Pickett Kennedy Marchbank Macreadie Schumacher DeKoning

2020 NEW: FA TRADE TRADE

Carlton have got 10 picks to trade for good players 23-27yo in the next 2 drafts. I can't see why we can't make the finals in 2020.

Things will improve in 2019 from the 'get go'.

You're assuming we won't have injuries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigBlueWave wrote:
Things can change very quickly game to game. Last year we beat GWS by a point. We are missing so many players that will make a big difference next year.

Try not to be too negative. If at the end of 2019 we are still struggling then we are probably many years away. I think we will dramatically improve next year because of:

1. Players coming back into the team from injury.
    2. Another year under the belt for youngsters.
    3. Recruitment of another experienced (B+ or A grade) player ... hoping.
    4. Recruitment of either Rankine (ready to go) or 2 top 10 picks.

I am getting old ... It's only football ... but it would be so good to see another premiership.

Yeah Rankine's 8-10 touches a game will make a huge difference.
And can't see a quality FA coming to us.

Look not trying to be negative more a realist.

Yes we have had injuries etc but reality is we are still lacking depth especially in the 22-27 core age bracket so list wise we are still a long way off.

It's why I think SOS will trade 1 for multiple picks. Not that I agree with that.

SOS has some BIG decisions to make between now and Nov.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am 
Harry Vallence

Nice to see Harry having some impact in this game.

Can't help feeling that if wasn't for the long list of injuries and specifically Levi's injury & loss of form, Harry would still be stinking it up at Cramer St.

He's not the finished article. Defensive side needs to improve as does his running patterns etc etc. Has a long long way to go. No guarantees..... he may make it or he may not.

But holy moly rather a raw true footballer out on the park than whatever else gets a go.

So why the resistance to playing him even with his flaws? His cameo was the only positive l got out of that game yesterday.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 108  Next