Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Boys wrote:
thegezman wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
1 down (ASOS). How many more to go?

Shaw,
Rowe,
JGMc,
O'Shea,
Graham

i'd keep Rowe if he's willing.

Move on the rest assuming they are uncontracted?

He’s not at that list but I’d keep Kerridge for backup as well. Will play mostly in the vfl but handy backup in case of injuries.

Id prefer to keep graham over kerridge. Ideally cut both and find a upgrade, possibly a DFA or a cheap trade form some one missing out on game time at a top club.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

thegezman wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:
thegezman wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Shaw,
Rowe,
JGMc,
O'Shea,
Graham

He’s not at that list but I’d keep Kerridge for backup as well. Will play mostly in the vfl but handy backup in case of injuries.

Id prefer to keep graham over kerridge. Ideally cut both and find a upgrade, possibly a DFA or a cheap trade form some one missing out on game time at a top club.

That's how we got kerridge in the first place.

We still need players in the VFL to teach the kids and preferably some that know Bolts teaching rather than having to start the process all over again with both the kids and the mature players.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Robert Walls

Steve_C7 wrote:
thegezman wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:
thegezman wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Shaw,
Rowe,
JGMc,
O'Shea,
Graham

That's how we got kerridge in the first place.

We still need players in the VFL to teach the kids and preferably some that know Bolts teaching rather than having to start the process all over again with both the kids and the mature players.

I guess i just dont see kerridge as the best example for the kids as he is a turnover machine and poor decision maker. Thats just from the limited viewing I get on TV, so all the other factors he might bring to the table could keep him at the club. He might be a model professional. So point taken I guess.

I just don't really want to see him in the ones ever again.

He has served a role these last 3 years, i've got no issues with us replacing him with something similar that may have more scope for development. I guess it depends what becomes available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Midfielder Jed Anderson (and brother of our Joe) from North has not yet signed. Maybe North are waiting to see what Gaff does. Turning 26 next year so fills the age bracket we are looking for. Good B+ player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Kerridge > Graham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am 
Craig Bradley

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:36 pm 
Robert Walls

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
Kerridge > Graham

But both VFL standard IMO. And that's kinda the point I was trying to make.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

One thing everyone agrees on is our list needed a rebuild to have a plethora of class.

Another thing everyone agreed on is Carlton needed to get talent on board and the only way was through the draft with early picks and success with latter picks.

Another thing everyone agreed with is Carlton has cut deep into its list to get this young talent to last 10 years, for sustained success.

Another thing everyone agrees is we have ample young talent on our list with the likes of Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Dow, Fisher, McKay, OBrien, Marchbank, SPS, Silvagni, Williamson, Kennedy, Macreadie, Pickett, Cuningham, DeKoning, Schumacher, Kerr...

Another thing everyone agrees we have a shortage of players in the 22-27 age group, and need more than just Docherty, Plowman, Byrne and Lang.

Against that backdrop we have to accept that our kids need to build muscle and stamina to compete, and we have fast tracked developing by selecting our kids to work hard in real AFL games to build up and learn to endure. Playing AFL is the quickest way to learn to play AFL and to condition the body to withstand the rigours of AFL.

We have 2018 picks 1, (PP10), 22, 23, 50...to trade, plus a FA to snag a few 22-27yo let alone 2019 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round and another FA to do the same....some of those at this year's draft/trade period, maybe add a FS too with Silvagni etc

Yes we have hit bottom of the barrel, but our kids as an 18yo-23yo group of 18, are far more advanced physically and in AFL experience than any other team in the AFL, and with another preseason, along with the experience they have gained from playing at the highest level we probably don't need a priority in reality, but we will take that to the bank too for a Shiel, Setterfield, McGoverne etc.

What we also know is that pick 1 will get us Walsh or more.

Considering the above, that's why some of us are being patient with our 'journey', and why Cripps, Curnow, Dow, OBrien, Fisher and others have extended their contracts.

I expect us to rise up the ladder in 2019 with the addition of new players along with Docherty, Williamson, Plowman, Cuningham, Macreadie and a fitter Kennedy, SPS Marchbank, Lang, Garlett and Pickett.

Don't forget Kreuzer and Philips.

That's a squad of 30 quality players taking our club forward for the 17th flag, and we will add more in 2020 and 2021.

Bring on 2019!

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 pm 
John Nicholls

Agree with most of what you've said except one point: we do need a PP, to trade and bring in a quality established player.

If Lynch goes to Richmond, Hawthorn or Collingwood those teams pull further ahead of us. This is under a rule called free agency which helps strong clubs get stronger and actually weakens the weaker clubs. This needs to be offset in a meaningful way or the two tiered comp will continue in perpetuity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Agree with most of what you've said except one point: we do need a PP, to trade and bring in a quality established player.

If Lynch goes to Richmond, Hawthorn or Collingwood those teams pull further ahead of us. This is under a rule called free agency which helps strong clubs get stronger and actually weakens the weaker clubs. This needs to be offset.

Agree FA has an impact in the short term, but if we look at the age profile of Richmond and Hawks and Cats, and the fact we will also attract our fair share of FA's let alone the fact the AFL will change the rules regarding FA, we will be able to copete when our kids become household games, and have 18 vs 18 on the ground.

Selwood, Ablett, Dangerfield, Dusty, Rance, Cotchin, Roughead, and so on are not going to playing in thei current form in a couple of years.

I think The PP is a bonus, and I'll take it. Maybe we need it as you suggest, I'll take it for that reason too. A mid round PP is pretty valuable, and as I said, it may be enough to snag us a Shiel, Setterfield or McGovern, or others, or 2 of them for all I know.

Point is, we have a large young developing group who are being fast tracked by getting games into them. Gold!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
One thing everyone agrees on is our list needed a rebuild to have a plethora of class.

Another thing everyone agreed on is Carlton needed to get talent on board and the only way was through the draft with early picks and success with latter picks.

Another thing everyone agreed with is Carlton has cut deep into its list to get this young talent to last 10 years, for sustained success.

Another thing everyone agrees is we have ample young talent on our list with the likes of Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Dow, Fisher, McKay, OBrien, Marchbank, SPS, Silvagni, Williamson, Kennedy, Macreadie, Pickett, Cuningham, DeKoning, Schumacher, Kerr...

Another thing everyone agrees we have a shortage of players in the 22-27 age group, and need more than just Docherty, Plowman, Byrne and Lang.

Against that backdrop we have to accept that our kids need to build muscle and stamina to compete, and we have fast tracked developing by selecting our kids to work hard in real AFL games to build up and learn to endure. Playing AFL is the quickest way to learn to play AFL and to condition the body to withstand the rigours of AFL.

We have 2018 picks 1, (PP10), 22, 23, 50...to trade, plus a FA to snag a few 22-27yo let alone 2019 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round and another FA to do the same....some of those at this year's draft/trade period, maybe add a FS too with Silvagni etc

Yes we have hit bottom of the barrel, but our kids as an 18yo-23yo group of 18, are far more advanced physically and in AFL experience than any other team in the AFL, and with another preseason, along with the experience they have gained from playing at the highest level we probably don't need a priority in reality, but we will take that to the bank too for a Shiel, Setterfield, McGoverne etc.

What we also know is that pick 1 will get us Walsh or more.

Considering the above, that's why some of us are being patient with our 'journey', and why Cripps, Curnow, Dow, OBrien, Fisher and others have extended their contracts.

I expect us to rise up the ladder in 2019 with the addition of new players along with Docherty, Williamson, Plowman, Cuningham, Macreadie and a fitter Kennedy, SPS Marchbank, Lang, Garlett and Pickett.

Don't forget Kreuzer and Philips.

That's a squad of 30 quality players taking our club forward for the 17th flag, and we will add more in 2020 and 2021.

Bring on 2019!

a very unifying post bondi :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sam McClure, again, saying that he thinks Carlton will get a PP either mid first round or at the end with the condition it is traded.
This pick will go to Adelaide for McGovern. The Crows will then try to turn this pick along with one of their other ones into a top 3 pick, from the Gold Coast.
He says if Adelaide insist on us giving pick 1 then McGovern will remain with Adelaide.
He says Carlton will not trade pick 1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Sam McClure, again, saying that he thinks Carlton will get a PP either mid first round or at the end with the condition it is traded.
This pick will go to Adelaide for McGovern. The Crows will then try to turn this pick along with one of their other ones into a top 3 pick, from the Gold Coast.
He says if Adelaide insist on us giving pick 1 then McGovern will remain with Adelaide.
He says Carlton will not trade pick 1.

If we’re adamant on trading the PP on McGovern then come on down Pick 19.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 pm 
John Nicholls

Then what do we use for Shiel?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Pick 19 won't get Dylan Shiel. The Giants would be better suited to keep him another 12 months and get free agency compensation.
If you want Shiel, IMHO it's either next years first rounder or a strong offer this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:53 am 
Harry Vallence

I can imagine it might be:
Pick 1 - Walsh
PP - McGovern
This years 2nd pick + Next Years 1st for Shiel + Setterfield.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 am 
Bob Chitty

deano35 wrote:
Pick 1 - Walsh
PP - McGovern

This is the most reasonable scenario ive seen put forward

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Pick 1 - Walsh
PP - McGovern

This is the most reasonable scenario ive seen put forward

Still leaves us with a 2nd and FA/State League options.

I’d be satisfied with this outcome, although I’d like to bring Brodie across as well, steak knives from Crows if our PP is near 10, and somehow stay in/near next year’s 1st round.

NFI how this could be possible though, unless we give up something we’d rather not (I’m hereby coining the term “Soul Stone scenario” for the Marvel-heads among us)

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:30 pm 
Bert Deacon

why cant we keep our draft picks and try to find players that we need through other leagues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:23 pm 
formerly King Kenny

deano35 wrote:
Pick 1 - Walsh
PP - McGovern

Big off-season if we can pull this off. A couple of late gems would help too, and a full injury free preseason for our list.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 108  Next