Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm 
Robert Walls

Gold Coast have the following picks: #2, #3, #19, #24, #29, #59, #80 and they might get another top-10 for May (#5-ish), along with picks for Hall (#31-ish) and Kolodjashnij (#54ish).

They will probably have around 8 spots on the list to fill, which means they'll probably use #2, #3, #5, #19, #24, #29, #31 and #54...

So we could try and trade Casboult to them for #54 and #59, because they wouldn't use them anyway. That way we'd improve our draft position slightly and free up space on our list.

Last edited by bluechampion on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:53 pm 
Robert Walls

Interesting list of free agents who didn't move and may yet have to find new homes:

Tyson Goldsack - will probably stay
George Horlin-Smith - off to Gold Coast
Tom Liberatore - probably stay
Jordan Roughead - possibly of to Collingwood
Mark LeCras - possibly retire
Taylor Duryea - probably stay
Ryan Schoenmakers - probably stay

These three interest me in regards to adding a mature player:

Brendan Whitecross - 28 years old, but a good, solid player and a good kick. Can play multiple positions and seems a quality character. Very much a Wright replacement.
Daniel Menzel - 27 years old. Medium forward with a proven track record. Averages 1.9 goals a game.
Jarryd Blair - Small forward / relief mid. Tenacious and tends to plays well against us.

The question is: Are they better than Graham?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
This from the AFL site:
"Trade and free agency ins: Alex Fasolo, Mitch McGovern, Will Setterfield, pick 42, pick 71, future third-round selection (Adelaide)

Trade and free agency outs: Pick 26, pick 28, pre-listed state league player selections (Shane McAdam to Adelaide and Nathan Kreuger to Geelong)"

Effectively we got Fasolo, McGovern, Setterfield and 71 for our original 25 and 26 (I think those ones in red above are a bit off the mark).

Is that right?

No BS, we have also lost our 2019 2nd rounder and 5th rounder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jez1966 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
This from the AFL site:
"Trade and free agency ins: Alex Fasolo, Mitch McGovern, Will Setterfield, pick 42, pick 71, future third-round selection (Adelaide)

Trade and free agency outs: Pick 26, pick 28, pre-listed state league player selections (Shane McAdam to Adelaide and Nathan Kreuger to Geelong)"

Effectively we got Fasolo, McGovern, Setterfield and 71 for our original 25 and 26 (I think those ones in red above are a bit off the mark).

Is that right?

Of course we have.
Thanks for that.
No wonder it looked too good to be true.
It was!
Damn AFL.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jez1966 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
This from the AFL site:

Is that right?

Of course we have.
Thanks for that.
It was!
Damn AFL.com.au

You should know by now never believe anything the AFL says :wink:

Last edited by Jez1966 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Will Setterfield: Yes it’s true I was an Essendon** supporter as a kid but I dropped them because they’re drug cheats.

Mitch McGovern: Bryce Gibbs and Eddie Betts recommended Carlton.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

blueboy23 wrote:
Reckon Graham and Kerridge are in trouble, possibly Lamb and Rowe.

Best 22 is looking better already with the additions of,
McGovern, Walsh, Fas and Setterfield.

Potentially DFA like,
Barlow, Hibberd, Bugg, O’Rourke, Towers or Freeman.

Maybe Newman, Cameron Ellis-Yolmen or Tyson.

Can we land a player like Scully or Libba??

You serious? McGovern's a gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

If all goes to plan and this list takes us to success, we will have the same problems as GWS with the salary cap and a list of young stars all looking for their share of the pie.
That's the best form of equalisation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
If all goes to plan and this list takes us to success, we will have the same problems as GWS with the salary cap and a list of young stars all looking for their share of the pie.

Or Bolton follows the Clarkson mould and every player takes pay cuts and is on peanuts to stay together so we have a seemingly endless cap to keep buying top end players each and every year... :smoking:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

So Gold Coast have 1 list spots spare (assuming Horlin-Smith goes and the 2 state league players count towards list spots), with Scrimshaw, May, Martin, Kolodjashnij still in play) with 5 picks in the top 30.

Pick 59 is surplus to their needs. It would give us a shot at BSOS up till pick 45 (or pick 40 if we keep 69 and 71). Need to figure out how to get that.

I'm assuming May and Martin stay put another year, and the other 2 go. They need to offload one or two top 30 picks for future picks. We should get it done.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:

We can only pray we get to that position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluechampion wrote:
Gold Coast have the following picks: #2, #3, #19, #24, #29, #59, #80 and they might get another top-10 for May (#5-ish), along with picks for Hall (#31-ish) and Kolodjashnij (#54ish).

They will probably have around 8 spots on the list to fill, which means they'll probably use #2, #3, #5, #19, #24, #29, #31 and #54...

So we could try and trade Casboult to them for #54 and #59, because they wouldn't use them anyway. That way we'd improve our draft position slightly and free up space on our list.

Michael Barlow (delisted)
Matt Rosa (retired)
Mackenzie Willis (delisted)
Michael Rischitelli (delisted/rerookied)
Tom Lynch (Richmond - RFA)
Aaron Hall (Norf)

6 there. Horlin-Smith, Ellis, Miles in. 3 left - not sure if Corbett and other SANFL bloke count. Assuming they do it's 1 left. Talk they'll delist-rerookie Wigg. I reckon KK and Scrimshaw go and Martin/May stay. That's 4 list spots. Maximum of 6.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Robert Walls

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Michael Barlow (delisted)
Matt Rosa (retired)
Mackenzie Willis (delisted)
Michael Rischitelli (delisted/rerookied)
Tom Lynch (Richmond - RFA)
Aaron Hall (Norf)

6 there. Horlin-Smith, Ellis, Miles in. 3 left - not sure if Corbett and other SANFL bloke count. Assuming they do it's 1 left. Talk they'll delist-rerookie Wigg. I reckon KK and Scrimshaw go and Martin/May stay. That's 4 list spots. Maximum of 6.

I completely forgot about the state-league players.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Still concerned about our one-paced midfield to be honest.

Not about the quality - we have some great talent coming through now but Cripps, Ed, Kennedy, Setterfield and Walsh are all slow. It would have to be one of the slowest in the AFL. Doc isn't quick either. Add to that our lack of pacy tackling small forwards and we could really be exposed next year in two way running.

I know SPS, Dow and Fisher have some zip (LOB and Williamson are average pace) but they don't really get enough of it at this stage. If someone like Pickett comes on that would be a huge bonus.

Really lacking the explosiveness of Collingwood midfield with Treloar, Adams, De Goey and forwards Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot.

Though I guess Eagles midfield isn't express either. Hopefully I'm just over thinking it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:13 pm 
Ken Hands

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jez1966 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
This from the AFL site:

Is that right?

Of course we have.
Thanks for that.
It was!
Damn AFL.com.au

Also we don’t have 42 anymore. That went as part of the Setterfield trade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:28 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Nick wrote:

Not about the quality - we have some great talent coming through now but Cripps, Ed, Kennedy, Setterfield and Walsh are all slow. It would have to be one of the slowest in the AFL. Doc isn't quick either. Add to that our lack of pacy tackling small forwards and we could really be exposed next year in two way running.

I know SPS, Dow and Fisher have some zip (LOB and Williamson are average pace) but they don't really get enough of it at this stage. If someone like Pickett comes on that would be a huge bonus.

Really lacking the explosiveness of Collingwood midfield with Treloar, Adams, De Goey and forwards Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot.

Though I guess Eagles midfield isn't express either. Hopefully I'm just over thinking it.

Walsh ran a flat 3s for the 20m test at the Combine. He’s not Usain Bolt but he’s not slow either particularly with an aerobic capacity that he has.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 am 
Bruce Doull

Nick wrote:

Adding Walsh and W.Hickmott would be a step in the right direction.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Nick wrote:

Considering that Walsh strength is considered his acceleration and compared to treloar, I'm not sure that we are a one pace midfield.

We have contested beasts in Cripps and Kennedy

We have speed and acceleration in Fisher, Walsh and Dow

We have x factor in SPS, a damaging accumulator in the Bomp mould in Setterfield and LOB will be that lethal kick when he gets enough games under his belt.

I like the mix that we have and if they can stay injury free and play together as a group, we will go very quickly up the ladder.

To me DeKoning is the key, if we can fast track him and develop him into a top end ruck, then we are well on our way if a little inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I remember the hype around Murph back in ‘05 - very similar to Walsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
I remember the hype around Murph back in ‘05 - very similar to Walsh

There was hype around Murphy as a player and he went on to won a AFLCA award.

No hype around his leadership abilities.

Mort Sahl

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 108  Next