Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am 
Bruce Doull

Pelchen (of all people) talking some sense

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=187844

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:54 am 
formerly King Kenny

Paddycripps wrote:
I get good mid age players want to leave.

We need to get some quality 22-26 year old mids into the list asap. This is the most important part of the ground and the one we are most lacking in.

But the problem is nobody wants to come to us .

So we have to use our picks in the draft on young mids who are ready to impact. Strong of body and mind. Wines types.

No more skinny kids. We've enough of them

That's the only way out of this hole IMO.

Get a PP.

Go to draft with

22?
29?

Draft an entire midfield

Bulls

Tough lads

Cripps is tired of tags, I got that from a mate of his. He needs support it he will flee.

Cripps will be tagged anyway. Bit of a cop out if he has leadership aspirations, beyond VC.

Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:

Old mate RoCo didn't get the response he wanted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:
Henderson & Tuohy are cases in point. They went trophy hunting. Carlton got little in return.

An interesting memory.
Lachy Henderson, we got a first round pick for. If I recall correctly, most people were saying we bent the Cats over with that trade. :? The bloke turns 29 this year and cant get on the park. I doubt he'd be any value to us at the moment while he's sitting on the sidelines.

As for Tuohey, he didn't go trophy hunting at all. We offered him a low contract which he rightly didn't accept. He openly stated he wanted to stay.
In return we got Caleb Marchbank. A probable 10 year defender and probably one of our 2 best players until he rolled his ankle.
Would you like to take the deal back?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Henderson & Tuohy are cases in point. They went trophy hunting. Carlton got little in return.

An interesting memory.
Lachy Henderson, we got a first round pick for. If I recall correctly, most people were saying we bent the Cats over with that trade. :? The bloke turns 29 this year and cant get on the park. I doubt he'd be any value to us at the moment while he's sitting on the sidelines.

As for Tuohey, he didn't go trophy hunting at all. We offered him a low contract which he rightly didn't accept. He openly stated he wanted to stay.
In return we got Caleb Marchbank. A probable 10 year defender and probably one of our 2 best players until he rolled his ankle.

I’d like to have paid less for it.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:57 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Donstuie wrote:

Why "of all people"? This guy understands list management more than most and has a track record, doesn't he?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

What I am saying is that for a tier 3 club (Carlton) to lose a 100 game player (Henderson) to a club contending (Geelong)they should get top dollar for it.

The present system is basically speculative. We'll GIVE you a top player and you get a speculative first round draft pick in return...and let's face facts - 1st Round draft picks are still speculative.

eg Carlton speculated when they got Kreuzer instead of Cotchin that he would turn out to be a more important player. Injuries and other factors proved otherwise.
eg Carlton speculated that Livingston (pick 4 in 2000) would be a good player etc.

Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane- they all lose many of their better players and get relatively little in return. Getting a first round draft pick - let's face facts - is sold as being a panacea but is really just more speculation...and on it goes.

The draft system is not working for tier 3 clubs - who has Gold Coast lost - Dixon, that Hawthorn bloke, etc etc...how will the AFL cope if they lose Lynch...I bet you it takes up some discussion, a lot more than the welfare of Carlton. That is for sure.

Tuohy- I stand by it being trophy hunting. It was sold otherwise to the media, and you listen to the interview where he said he was underpaid. He was very sheepish about lying about this. Fact is- he is a top player and he has gone to a top club contending.

Ask yourself just 1 question - why do Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong NEVER have to rebuild? Does it have something to do with the trading/drafting system not making them pay enough to pick the eyes out of bottom clubs. I think it does.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

moshe25 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Why "of all people"? This guy understands list management more than most and has a track record, doesn't he?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For the longest time the bloke had very little positive to say about us, and along with some of his questionably ethical list mgmt choices (Hay to Norf) has been near the top of the TC hitlist.

But in fairness he’s been more measured in recent times.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

What I am saying is that for a tier 3 club (Carlton) to lose a 100 game player (Henderson) to a club contending (Geelong)they should get top dollar for it.

The present system is basically speculative. We'll GIVE you a top player and you get a speculative first round draft pick in return...and let's face facts - 1st Round draft picks are still speculative.

eg Carlton speculated when they got Kreuzer instead of Cotchin that he would turn out to be a more important player. Injuries and other factors proved otherwise.
eg Carlton speculated that Livingston (pick 4 in 2000) would be a good player etc.

Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane- they all lose many of their better players and get relatively little in return. Getting a first round draft pick - let's face facts - is sold as being a panacea but is really just more speculation...and on it goes.

The draft system is not working for tier 3 clubs - who has Gold Coast lost - Dixon, that Hawthorn bloke, etc etc...how will the AFL cope if they lose Lynch...I bet you it takes up some discussion, a lot more than the welfare of Carlton. That is for sure.

Tuohy- I stand by it being trophy hunting. It was sold otherwise to the media, and you listen to the interview where he said he was underpaid. He was very sheepish about lying about this. Fact is- he is a top player and he has gone to a top club contending.

Ask yourself just 1 question - why do Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong NEVER have to rebuild? Does it have something to do with the trading/drafting system not making them pay enough to pick the eyes out of bottom clubs. I think it does.

And Geelong speculated that Henderson would be a whole lot better for them than he has been.

There are no guarantees any player or draft pick will work out.

How's Chris Yarran going at Richmond?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Or Menzel at Adelaide

Go you good things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mind you, I think Jarrod Waite has been better than ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
(Which is what the AFL thought we should get as compensation for him).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pelchen... who'd have thought. Much smarter than the knee jerk reactionary fan base we have on here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

And Geelong speculated that Henderson would be a whole lot better for them than he has been.

Geelong got good value with Henderson - he was number 1 at Geelong in 2017 for intercept possessions.

My question, which no one can answer, is that if AFL equalisation is working out so well - why will Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn make the finals yet again as they have for about 8 or 9 of the last 10 years. In Sydney's case about 18 of the last 20 years.

Surely these clubs have currency already so to stay on top all they have to do is be attractive for players from lesser clubs and they can get them for unders.

GWS is a new kid to the block...but with Shiel and Coniglio etc as their base - I can't see them missing finals for a long time.

Sydney Swans - if a player like Jordan Foote came to Carlton it would take ages for him to become good, but at the Swans ( a strong team already) new players can be absorbed into a strong system and on it goes.

The weak get weaker as the strong get stronger. That's fine if that's the system the AFL wants, but don't try and sell us the lie of "equalisation". That's a lie. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn know it is a lie.

2nd question - if equalisation is working out so well why are there 3-4 dead rubbers every weekend?

Round 6
Western Bulldogs vs Carlton - dead rubber
GWS vs Brisbane - dead rubber
Hawthorn vs St Kilda - dead rubber
Adelaide vs Gold Coast - should be a dead rubber...but perhaps with 2/3rds of Adelaide's midfield out Gold Coast has a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm 
formerly King Kenny

tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

Was Henderson a top player? He had good patches, but wasn’t a top player for us. Good deal IMO that we ended up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

tap in 79 wrote:
GWS wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

Geelong got good value with Henderson - he was number 1 at Geelong in 2017 for intercept possessions.

My question, which no one can answer, is that if AFL equalisation is working out so well - why will Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn make the finals yet again as they have for about 8 or 9 of the last 10 years. In Sydney's case about 18 of the last 20 years.

Surely these clubs have currency already so to stay on top all they have to do is be attractive for players from lesser clubs and they can get them for unders.

GWS is a new kid to the block...but with Shiel and Coniglio etc as their base - I can't see them missing finals for a long time.

Sydney Swans - if a player like Jordan Foote came to Carlton it would take ages for him to become good, but at the Swans ( a strong team already) new players can be absorbed into a strong system and on it goes.

The weak get weaker as the strong get stronger. That's fine if that's the system the AFL wants, but don't try and sell us the lie of "equalisation". That's a lie. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn know it is a lie.

2nd question - if equalisation is working out so well why are there 3-4 dead rubbers every weekend?

Round 6
Adelaide vs Gold Coast - should be a dead rubber...but perhaps with 2/3rds of Adelaide's midfield out Gold Coast has a chance.

The last two premiers undermine your case a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm 
formerly King Kenny

tap in 79 wrote:
GWS wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

Round 6

You answered your own questions when saying GWS will be in finals for a long time. They have a base of top lines players who will be around a long time, who then pass onto the next generation of top liners hopefully for them.

Hawks an Carts have had that since the mid 2000’s after they invested in the draft, and those players became stars, who guided the next tier through. Once the star line dries up, watch them fall. It will, don’t worry about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

Hendo is a dud....was at Brissy, us and and is at Cats. Soft, drops many marks when in prime position and promises without delivering. Over-rated hugely. Yazz is a sad case of so much talent lost....his best was devastating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hope the boys were watching Victory tonight

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

If I recall correctly it was Tuohy and pick 20 for Marchbank - not Tuohy for Marchbank.

As I said not against getting Marchbank, but we paid David Jones prices.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

An interesting memory.

If I recall correctly it was Tuohy and pick 20 for Marchbank - not Tuohy for Marchbank.

As I said not against getting Marchbank, but we paid David Jones prices.
Marchbank and Pickett....
Unless you're Antony Green, very difficult to call at this stage..

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 108  Next