Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

And then watch the same Harry Hindsighters spend the next five years slagging us for not keeping the Number 1 pick.

Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lloyd and Silvagni are better off playing football against each other rather than debating each other.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
99prelim wrote:
AGRO wrote:
SOS has never been a polished media performer and gets very nervous in front of a camera and audience when speaking.

If he doesnt' have his ducks in a row - (actually it would be better if Wayne Carey was conducting the interview) then he will be stitched up.

You must be salivating with an Anthony*

*Stiffinwoody

Is your surname Innuendo?

Yeah, it's Italian for suppository

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 am 
Rod Ashman

doofdoof wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/14/king-ive-never-seen-a-list-overhauled-in-three-years-like-carltons/

“They’ve made 40 changes to their list in three years. The next highest is the Gold Coast who’ve been as much of a mess as anyone and they’ve turned over 34.

“If you go to the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got the Dogs and St Kilda who’ve only turned over 22 players.

“That’s almost half of what Carlton’s done. It’s not just a new team, there’s so many new faces coming in, you’ve got no cohesion, no shared experiences and you’re still learning the game plan and how to be an AFL footballer and how to be a professional.

Good pick up. Thanks for posting.

David King is one of the few media performers I enjoy listening to, as he provides real insight.

They are yet again good points he has made.

He has also pointed out that the AFL needs to step in to reform the draft, free agency, trading system, which I agree with. Few media commentators are looking at how the system operates. For example, Would they look at increasing the drafting age by 1-2 years for instance so clubs can give players more time to mature before being drafted?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 am 
Horrie Clover

tap in 79 wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/14/king-ive-never-seen-a-list-overhauled-in-three-years-like-carltons/

“They’ve made 40 changes to their list in three years. The next highest is the Gold Coast who’ve been as much of a mess as anyone and they’ve turned over 34.

“If you go to the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got the Dogs and St Kilda who’ve only turned over 22 players.

“That’s almost half of what Carlton’s done. It’s not just a new team, there’s so many new faces coming in, you’ve got no cohesion, no shared experiences and you’re still learning the game plan and how to be an AFL footballer and how to be a professional.

Good pick up. Thanks for posting.

David King is one of the few media performers I enjoy listening to, as he provides real insight.

They are yet again good points he has made.

He has also pointed out that the AFL needs to step in to reform the draft, free agency, trading system, which I agree with. Few media commentators are looking at how the system operates. For example, Would they look at increasing the drafting age by 1-2 years for instance so clubs can give players more time to mature before being drafted?

I don't think the draft age is an issue, it's clubs, members, media wanting/expecting immediate success from players.
IMO better off changing contracts from draftee's from 2 to 3 or maybe 4 years.
The AFL also need to look at having a genuine reserves and possibly an u20 competition for AFL clubs, you draft the kids and bring them up through your system.
More players in an AFL system could help increasing the talent pool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

BIBI01 wrote:
I don't think the draft age is an issue, it's clubs, members, media wanting/expecting immediate success from players.
The AFL also need to look at having a genuine reserves and possibly an u20 competition for AFL clubs, you draft the kids and bring them up through your system.

I like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
BIBI01 wrote:

I like that.

The wheel would have turned a complete circle.
SOS, Mil and others came up via te U19s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

The thing that concerns me after listening to both SOS and MLG is that they both keep talking about how they said that they were going to go to three drafts and we've done that. The obvious implication is that we're now particularly amenable to trading picks for ready made players. Geez I hope we don't go down that path. Three drafts is not enough. I'd like at least three more kids in this year via top 30 picks, and preferably four or more, (I'm still hopeful that we'll stop this "no PP for us" nonsense at the end of the year).

I seem to be in a minority on this, presumably because people are sick of losing and want something done about it now. I can handle losing now to give us the best shot at a flag in five years, (I reckon that's as soon as it could happen). In five years any kids we draft now will be 22-23. The guns we're developing now will be in their mid to late 20's. It could work out perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

BigKev wrote:
The thing that concerns me after listening to both SOS and MLG is that they both keep talking about how they said that they were going to go to three drafts and we've done that. The obvious implication is that we're now particularly amenable to trading picks for ready made players. Geez I hope we don't go down that path. Three drafts is not enough. I'd like at least three more kids in this year via top 30 picks, and preferably four or more, (I'm still hopeful that we'll stop this "no PP for us" nonsense at the end of the year).

I seem to be in a minority on this, presumably because people are sick of losing and want something done about it now. I can handle losing now to give us the best shot at a flag in five years, (I reckon that's as soon as it could happen). In five years any kids we draft now will be 22-23. The guns we're developing now will be in their mid to late 20's. It could work out perfectly.

I think their reasoning is that the youngsters need some mature bodies to take the heat off them. But your reasoning is correct, but we need to find some big bodies to give them some relief. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:

Have concluded the same Bk.
We need a good mix of both . Would be very hard to take walking away from Walsh ir Rankine for mine....kinda hope they are a bit further down the order so we can get everything. Whatever happens some will be excited and some disappointed I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

I agree - looking for some clever maneuvering where we turn picks into multiple picks and turns these into kids and older players

This will be a very interesting trade period!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mmm I kindo of like that....
Except if we trade away one great player for a coupla middling to fair.
This reminds me how important training, development and medical staff are. Oh geez. I so do not envy SOS right now. He could look bad wven if he makes great choices without the right support staff for new players.
It is so difficult pretendy running this club from the couch. Exhausting! :smoking: :smoking:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
It is so difficult pretendy running this club from the couch. Exhausting! :smoking: :smoking:

ha. i'm tired and want a holiday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 am 
Harry Vallence

BigKev wrote:

Looking at what SOS did at GWS and listening to his view over the journey, I don't think he will go down that route. He values early draft picks very highly and wont trade for unders.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

ha. i'm tired and want a holiday.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 am 
Harry Vallence

Steve_C7 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Looking at what SOS did at GWS and listening to his view over the journey, I don't think he will go down that route. He values early draft picks very highly and wont trade for unders.

Agree with you , Silvagni can't possibly trade Pick 1 in any draft unless it's clearly in our favor.
Especially with such enormous talents as Lukosius or Rankine . They are quite sensational.
Any deal to pass on either would have to be very attractive to CFC. Drafts 2018 &19 have excellent strong top ten, next year has quite a few quality midfielders .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm 
Bruce Comben

David Swallow of GC weighing up his future...
Any one here interested in him?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:01 pm 
Horrie Clover

bmaurizio wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Agree with you , Silvagni can't possibly trade Pick 1 in any draft unless it's clearly in our favor.
Especially with such enormous talents as Lukosius or Rankine . They are quite sensational.
Any deal to pass on either would have to be very attractive to CFC. Drafts 2018 &19 have excellent strong top ten, next year has quite a few quality midfielders .

i have the same view also.

what has had my wheels turning since that interview on monday night is SOS' quote, "everything's for sale". what does that mean?? especially if we hold onto our first pick.

which players would we trade?
any from the last 3 drafts?

i'm so curious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

johnny wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

what has had my wheels turning since that interview on monday night is SOS' quote, "everything's for sale". what does that mean?? especially if we hold onto our first pick.

i'm so curious.

What that means is that we will look at any and all offers, it does not mean that we will accept any offers. i.e if you want pick 1 then be prepared to pony up something special.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

Steve_C7 wrote:
johnny wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

i'm so curious.

What that means is that we will look at any and all offers, it does not mean that we will accept any offers. i.e if you want pick 1 then be prepared to pony up something special.

Yep spot on, if ever there was a draft to have pick 1 in its 2018.
As we know Lukosius and Rankine are enormusly talent. Obviosuly they'll need a couple seasons to show full potenal, they'll be superstars.
It would take a very attractive and lucrative offer to pass on either player.
Lets sit back, enjoy the ride, we can't lose .
If Silvagni can secure any two mature age quality midfielders such as, Beams, Dahlhaus, Sallow or Shiel, by trading Pick 1do it. Its very valuable commodity.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 108  Next