Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:01 pm 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

Oh Lordy we need 10 of them to have a breakthrough year but in looking through the list, before those who haven't played yet and those we are yet to draft, we seem to have quite a high proportion of our list in sub 30 gamers who will be given opportunity next year(s):

- Boekhorst, 11 games, but recruited as mature age-ish
- Buckley, 27 games, now in system
- Cripps, 23 games & B&F!
- Dick, 6 games, recruited as DFA after 2 years in the Swans (so 3 year in)
- Graham, 16 games, a few years in
- Jaksch, 13 games, recruited from GWS
- Kerridge, 27 games with the Crows, now in system
- Lamb, 22 games with Swans and GWS, now in system
- Phillips, 14 games, now in system
- Plowman, 20 games, now in system
- Smith, 7 games, only in second year.... perhaps give a full second year before assessing
- Sumner, 12 games, great highlights reel
- Whiley, 20 games
- Byrne / Sheehan (sub 5 games) but expected to come in

That's 14 or 15 players to fill say 8-10 spots in each 22, barring injury.

I know we're last but with **DEVELOPMENT** and **GOOD COACHING** (*) that is giving me some form of hope for good competition amongst a bunch of 3-5 year players who should have the body and fitness to compete.

(*) Not traditional strengths

So I'd say;

- run from half back - Plowman will be given huge opportunities
- forward pressure and ability - Sumner
- perhaps Cripps (!)
- Buckley, Boeky and Graham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Great question Ando! Thought provoking stuff.

Leaving aside Cripps (already had his breakout year), I think the best bets are Boekhorst and Jacksch.

Of the rest, I think Kerridge will play regularly and Plowman too (injuries permitting).

I'm going to keep an eye on Phillips because I think he will get some chances.

It seems the club think Sumner is the best recruit if he gets his foot right. See Cameron Giles I reckon. Graham had a good part of a season, but I'm not sure he has the weapons to keep it up. Lamb I reckon we were just doing GWS a favour in picking up the contract. Buckley could go ok. Don't see much in Smith or the Irish blokes (I know plenty disagree).

So I see two possibly having a breakout and two possibly becoming regular senior players. Jury very much out on the rest of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Molly wrote:

Leaving aside Cripps (already had his breakout year), I think the best bets are Boekhorst and Jacksch.

Of the rest, I think Kerridge will play regularly and Plowman too (injuries permitting).

It seems the club think Sumner is the best recruit if he gets his foot right. See Cameron Giles I reckon. Graham had a good part of a season, but I'm not sure he has the weapons to keep it up. Lamb I reckon we were just doing GWS a favour in picking up the contract. Buckley could go ok. Don't see much in Smith or the Irish blokes (I know plenty disagree).

So I see two possibly having a breakout and two possibly becoming regular senior players. Jury very much out on the rest of them.

Graham showed something post Malthouse but I still see him as good depth player but no real weapons. He can get the ball, but Cripps and I'm guessing Gibbs will be doing that whilst they are fit.

Byrne reminded me....just the way he moved....Motley. Seriously. Only 1 quarter of play but.....I'm expecting him to have a break out year despite the fact Sheehan was thought of as being more advanced.

Expecting a big year from Boekhurst.

Big things expected from Plowman and Sumner.

I know he's played more than 100 games but he hasnt had a breakout year for the Blues...but I'm expecting Thomas to have his for the Blues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

I'd say Byrne but he doesn't fit the 5-30 gamer rule :lol:

And my next would be Sheahan but he's only at 4 games :lol:

I'll settle on Buckley - will play from round 1 (unlike the year's under Mick) and will cement a spot in the best 22 and I foresee a move a little up the field so he can show his real run and dash (and not have to be so focused on shutting down an opposition small forward).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:12 pm 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

emtwenty wrote:
I'd say Byrne but he doesn't fit the 5-30 gamer rule :lol:

And my next would be Sheahan but he's only at 4 games :lol:

I'll settle on Buckley - will play from round 1 (unlike the year's under Mick) and will cement a spot in the best 22 and I foresee a move a little up the field so he can show his real run and dash (and not have to be so focused on shutting down an opposition small forward).

Oh I rate Byrne's quarter but I figured a thread entitled 'which 1 gamer would have a breakout year' would be a bit limited ;).

And breakout year for a 1 gamer could be 5 more games :).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Holma....oh wait!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:21 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Buckley for mine. Another pre-season under his belt will be just the ticket he needs for a breakout season. If played to his strengths I can see him being quite a damaging player. Has a good head on his shoulders and takes his chances when an opening presents itself. Can be an exciting player when off the leash, I think the best of him is yet to come.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:13 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Molly wrote:

But but but Kerridge isn't a good player we've been told.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

moshe25 wrote:
Molly wrote:

He's certainly no Menzel but he could be serviceable :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

emtwenty wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Molly wrote:

He's certainly no Menzel but he could be serviceable :lol:

A bit more ticker and that would cover menzel in spades!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

Has a lot of catching up to cover everything Menzel has done

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:28 pm 
Garry Crane

All of them!

Bolts could be the best breakout 5 gamer we have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Cripps
Kerridge
Byrne
Plowman

I think Lamb and hopefully Broekhurst, Wiley and Jaksch will surprise.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:46 am 
www.blueseum.org

For context, those 5-30 gamers on the list as we headed in to season 2015 were:

- Bell, 29 games...
- Buckley, 9 games...
- Cripps, 3 games...
- Docherty, 29 games
- Graham, 10 games
- Menzel, 26 games
- Watson, 19 games
- Johnson, 5 games

History shows the first in particular had strong 2015s, Cripps and Bell in particular (top #5 B&F)s, so the 5-30 range is definitely an area one should expect improvement.

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am 
Rod Ashman

i hope it is Jaksch. high draft pick, and we swapped pick #7 t get him. He will be a fourth year player and no more excuses, he needs to deliver. He has the talent, let's hope he steps up big time. I am expecting a bit from Sumner and Plowman. Spoke to someone who knew him from his jnr days and reckons Plowman is a fantastic dedicated kid who never got a decent run at GWS because of injury. Lots of character and a fair bit of talent. I have really high hopes for him. I think our two Irish boys just need a clear run to really develop. I am expecting a bottom four year and can't remember being so excited aboiut a season for a long time. at last we have a young coach after an exhaustive process and we have culled prima donnas and selfish players, we have a genuine young gun in Cripps and lots of developing young talent, plus 4 top 20 picks. We may not win many games but i expect spirit and guts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

gerry atric wrote:
i hope it is Jaksch. high draft pick, and we swapped pick #7 t get him. He will be a fourth year player and no more excuses, he needs to deliver. He has the talent, let's hope he steps up big time. I am expecting a bit from Sumner and Plowman. Spoke to someone who knew him from his jnr days and reckons Plowman is a fantastic dedicated kid who never got a decent run at GWS because of injury. Lots of character and a fair bit of talent. I have really high hopes for him. I think our two Irish boys just need a clear run to really develop. I am expecting a bottom four year and can't remember being so excited aboiut a season for a long time. at last we have a young coach after an exhaustive process and we have culled prima donnas and selfish players, we have a genuine young gun in Cripps and lots of developing young talent, plus 4 top 20 picks. We may not win many games but i expect spirit and guts.

What does "deliver" mean when it comes to Jaksch?

What's a pass mark?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 am 
Serge Silvagni

Nothing short of a Brownlow and the Norm Smith for mine ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:42 am 
Rod Ashman

gerry atric wrote:

:clap: im with you gerry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm hoping its Boekhorst and Jaksch as we traded pick 7 for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I hope the players that we brought in as part of last years pick 7 trade are the ones that fire in 16'.