Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 pm 
Garry Crane

camelboy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

He speaks well, doesn't shy away from deficiencies, but most importantly, talks confidently about the club as it stands today as well as where it is heading. :thumbsup:

Probably needs to be a touch more assertive with the Carlton hierarchy (including SOS I understand has a lot of sway at many levels now) to avoid his role being just a back office administrator. I hear that he has initially struggled to understand and connect with some of the 'old guard' influences at the club. He will be very good but needs to back himself and his ideas.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm 
Bruce Comben

Considering team like Carlton do not get the benefit of free-agency, which benefits clubs further up the ladder and get strong player without loosing any picks.

I cannot understand why we do not take the benefit of asking for a priority pick this year, in a very strong draft, and at the start of a road back after our rebuild. posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=36025#

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:28 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

jamo wrote:
Considering team like Carlton do not get the benefit of free-agency, which benefits clubs further up the ladder and get strong player without loosing any picks.

I cannot understand why we do not take the benefit of asking for a priority pick this year, in a very strong draft, and at the start of a road back after our rebuild.

Yes it's very tempting to reach for the apple on the tree but as we've found out over the years the apple can be poisonous.

I like that we're going to get ourselves out of this mess by improving the culture and practices within. If it's good enough approach for the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn, it's good enough for us.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 pm 
Bob Chitty

Rexy wrote:
If it's good enough approach for the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn, it's good enough for us.

sydney has an entire academy etc, and hawthorn have capitalised and time their run to perfection on a compromised draft and now free agency ... probably not the best examples of a level playing field.

good luck to both of them though, they have used the system to their advantage.

just like we should use the system to our advantage, and if that system is a priority pick, then viva la priority pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

I can only assume we are going to get assistance in some other form as a backhand.

eg - Inflated Murphy compensation

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Is there really anyone in la la pretend AFL land other than myself who really wants to recognise that Murphy isn’t worth 73 first round draft picks?

That’d be killing Bambi surely.

Done deal and maybe a little bit of payback for not bitching and moaning about Waite.

Corrupt organisation.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 am 
Bruce Doull

Yep, it smacks of backroom dealing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am 
Bruce Doull

It’s of liddle surprise really.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
I can only assume we are going to get assistance in some other form as a backhand.

eg - Inflated Murphy compensation

There is precedent.....Melbourne compo for Frawley

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:16 pm 
Robert Walls

I heard the interview this morning. Don't care about spin or media or whatever but one thing he said that resonated with me was that to take a priority pick is to admit that you've lost control. I believe them when they say they haven't lost control and know exactly what they want, where they are now and where they want to get to

I'm going to back the team of Liddle et al and their plan for Carlton. Whilst the outcomes have been of concern, the process has been transparent from the start.

We are where we are for 3 reasons
1. At best diabolical, at worst industrial sabotag-esque list management and recruiting over the last 15 years in particular
2. Our off field leadership and governence (which still is concerning for me)
3. Coaching appointments
Sacking Brittain = Wrong
Appointing Pagan = Wrong
Appointing Ratten (so young and inexperienced) = Wrong
Sacking Ratten (shouldve appointed a Neil Craig type then) for Malthhouse = Wrong

This is not a revisionist post but stating that this time, we are trying to make a statement that we will back our plan and can stand on our own two feet

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Liddle interview on SEN - https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=242062%20via%20@whooshkaa

:clap:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:44 pm 
Wayne Johnston

99prelim wrote:
I heard the interview this morning. Don't care about spin or media or whatever but one thing he said that resonated with me was that to take a priority pick is to admit that you've lost control. I believe them when they say they haven't lost control and know exactly what they want, where they are now and where they want to get to...

So by that logic if we finish on the bottom and get another number one pick it’s because we’re in control and that’s what we want?

Personally I thinks it’s stupid to knock back a priority pick, we should maximise the gain out of the system, that’s what successful clubs do.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

CEO on L plates if you ask me didn't need to telegraph punches on this at all

Great to be hairy chested but if we don't wil another game and are bottom again and we have more supporters leave then how dumb does making this statement in May look

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

wouldn't be great if we lost the next Buddy Franklin by not asking for a pp

How do you reckon hawks got him in the first place by gaming the system and getting PP so they could get both he and roughead
How do you reckon the Swans got Franklin by gaming the system ie misuse of Cola - for god sake these teams are successful because they don't blink an eyelid when the rest of the AFL community say they are gaming the system they ruthlessly exploit the system that's why they are successful whereas poor unsuccessful us sit there shat ourselves because a couple of people say we don't deserve it and we say we don't qualify even though we have won less than 25% of our games for the last 4 years

In fact as goody two shoes we should really advocate for Brisbane to get another one so we can be pure and let them leapfrog us on the ladder - bloody hell are we that naïve and stupid - yes we have ourselves to blame BUT the AFL isn't a level playing field and we should take what we are entitled to if and when we are offered

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just because we ask for it, doesn't mean we get it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm 
Robert Walls

Has the Judge made any comments in the last few days?

What does the Prez think about all this ...... ?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

I know Buzz but you are never going to get it if publicly you say your not going to ask for it at least give it a go that's the point - don't use megaphone diplomacy get a meeting with Gil seems to work pretty well for Clarkson when he wants something

Bluey agree never hear from Subjudice - he really is a rank amateur in terms of playing the game like the other presidents - 2 you never hear from Sumner and Subjudice just happens that each of these clubs have won one game each and lead very unsuccessful clubs

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
jamo wrote:

I cannot understand why we do not take the benefit of asking for a priority pick this year, in a very strong draft, and at the start of a road back after our rebuild.

Yes it's very tempting to reach for the apple on the tree but as we've found out over the years the apple can be poisonous.

I like that we're going to get ourselves out of this mess by improving the culture and practices within. If it's good enough approach for the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn, it's good enough for us.

The apple hasn't been the problem it's been us that has been poisonous, Hawthorn certainly didn't knock back any freebies nor Collingwood or Melbourne.
I also can't work out the flawed logic in ruling it out, seems very foolish; is there something bigger in play for next year? Maybe we are angling for something better than an end of first round? Or perhaps we are just run by idiots.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Nup, I can't stomach the insipid mindest of crawling to head office cap in hand for extraordinary handouts anymore. Rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
Nup, I can't stomach the insipid mindest of crawling to head office cap in hand for extraordinary handouts anymore. Rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Fair enough, I just want us to win games of football. By any means necessary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next