Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Unfortunately it won't be forgotten. SOS has been hired by SEN to add 'colour' to their trade week coverage.

No doubt they'll be egging him on to pot us at every opportunity.

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person. The man damaged his legacy today.

Completely agree with this.
His legacy will also depend on whether the current list can take us to a premiership. If they can’t, he’ll wear plenty of responsibility for that.

He will blame the coaches for poor development, there is no way he will take responsibility for poor recruiting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Disappointing the whole thing. All 3 involved, Liddle, SOS and ML share responsibility to various degrees. A bit of leadership could have prevented this!.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

He's got a touch of the James Hirds about him.

Just a touch mind you.

The difference is we'll call out his bullshit, Essendon* supporters create #standbyhird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

SOS said he loved the club.....

1. What is to be gained by tipping a bucket on the Clubs CEO after all this time.
2. How does he think this helps the club and the CEO's dealings with Sponsors etc
3. How does he think his bucket tipping helps Jack.
4. SOS says he doesn't like to talk about himself but he is happy to let people know how hard done by he was.

One word................SELFISH!

SOS was paid extremely well at Carlton as a player and as List Manager. Today was just sour grapes with no real point other than to settle a score and bleat about being slighted. Suck it up precious. :garthp:

Regards Cazzesman

Last edited by Cazzesman on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

camel wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
…Overall it was a good decision to bring Betts to the club, but we here at TC will never know what the true cost was in terms of list management.

You're right we don't know.

Based on SOS' comments today it seems like he wanted to pay Kade more money, but couldn't and then, suddenly there's extra cash available for Eddie. How much? We don't know and probably never will.

Overall, though, and I do accept that getting Betts might have been a way for Liddle to score an easy goal, so to speak, but if we also take at face value the comments that Eddie has helped us land Martin and (in theory) Williams, and possibly others, then is that extra money paid to Betts going to serve us well for many years to follow as (hopefully) Martin, Williams et al prosper with Carlton?

My take on his comments was that he was happy to take Eddie back, but with a loyalty discount as he viewed Betts as a bit of a mercenary.

Some may disagree, however I thank Liddle to see the bigger picture and get the deal done even if it meant to go over SOS's head.

SOS's greatest work was done in fixing the player contracts and TPP mess the club was in and thank him for that, however the time came where we needed to move on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Trigger wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Unfortunately it won't be forgotten. SOS has been hired by SEN to add 'colour' to their trade week coverage.

No doubt they'll be egging him on to pot us at every opportunity.

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person. The man damaged his legacy today.

Completely agree with this.
His legacy will also depend on whether the current list can take us to a premiership. If they can’t, he’ll wear plenty of responsibility for that.

He will blame the coaches for poor development, there is no way he will take responsibility for poor recruiting.
Given the first 3 years of that was under Bolton alot has to be put down to poor development. Young blokes were thrown into the heat of the action rather than having lesser roles to develop. Has done the likes of Dow no good at all and did Weitering no good for a long time, to the point we doubted him. Fortunately he come good. Recruiting hasn't been too bad, development not so good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cazzesman wrote:

1. What is to be gained by tipping a bucket on the Clubs CEO after all this time.
2. How does he think this helps the club and the CEO's dealings with Sponsors etc
4. SOS says he doesn't like to talk about himself but he is happy to let people know how hard done by he was.

SOS was paid extremely well at Carlton as a player and as List Manager. Today was just sour grapes with no real point other than to settle a score and bleat about being slighted. Suck it up precious. :garthp:

Regards Cazzesman

Why? He's not at Carlton now and very much entitled to tell his side of the story. As we all would in the same position.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:51 pm 
Banned

SOS has the right of reply I reckon. Legend of the club on and off the field and was interested to read his thoughts on the matter.

My take is each way....seems he was attached to the list he put together and disappointed he didn't put on the finishing touches.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Why? He's not at Carlton now and very much entitled to tell his side of the story. As we all would in the same position.

He still has a son at the club. Not exactly good timing.

Unless, he’s using it as an opportunity to soften up the news of an impending departure...

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

He can tell his story all he likes. But if he truly loves Carlton as he stated, why do it now. Why embarrass the CEO. Serves no purposes except to settle a score for selfish personal reasons. What is the result now that it has been aired. The only outcome is for Carlton people to get a hate on for the CEO.

I wonder if SOS would love for me to go on SEN and explain to the world how my employment at CFC ended. People in glass houses etc, etc.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

He can tell his story all he likes. But if he truly loves Carlton as he stated, why do it now. Why embarrass the CEO. Serves no purposes except to settle a score for selfish personal reasons. What is the result now that it has been aired. The only outcome is for Carlton people to get a hate on for the CEO.

I wonder if SOS would love for me to go on SEN and explain to the world how my employment at CFC ended. People in glass houses etc, etc.

Regards Cazzesman

They have sacked one of his sons - possibly about to sack another - moved him on himself and used his sons as part of the reason he was moved on .

If that was me I would have said something before now in no uncertain terms

Liddle comes across as novice to me and to come out at a players sponsor function when we were up and about and say 12 players were going to be moved on was just plain dumb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Regards Cazzesman

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
I thought you were a better man than this SOS.

Like all competitive types there's a little bit of cauliflower in him I reckon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheSwan wrote:
BIBI01 wrote:
Organizations employ people to perform roles and you need to back them in to do their jobs.
As soon as people start moving out of their lane and into someone else's, it all turns to sh!t.

This is true but a CEO has many lanes and has every right to swim in whichever he feels he needs to for the good of an important decision and the club.

True

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:

Just a touch mind you.

The difference is we'll call out his bullshit, Essendon** supporters create #standbyhird

Sadly, I think if you read stuff on BF and here that's not the case. A smaller percentage, granted, but some are just all-in on the bloke.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

Just a touch mind you.

The difference is we'll call out his bullshit, Essendon*** supporters create #standbyhird

Sadly, I think if you read stuff on BF and here that's not the case. A smaller percentage, granted, but some are just all-in on the bloke.

Draw up a venn diagram showing those who protested to the club with "SAVE FEV" placards and those all in on SOS and see how much overlap there is.

As we've seen with Sticks, a great player doesn't make a great administrator.

But some people get lost in the romance, I mean, reading between the lines, SOS even touched on that today when he subtly cast doubts on Liddle's suitability because he is not a Carlton person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Regards Cazzesman

They have sacked one of his sons - possibly about to sack another - moved him on himself and used his sons as part of the reason he was moved on .

Liddle comes across as novice to me and to come out at a players sponsor function when we were up and about and say 12 players were going to be moved on was just plain dumb

Ben should never have been listed. He was a rookie selection at best. As was his school mate Finbar.
You can't compromise yourself like he did with Ben and then complain when you've been moved on for having a conflict of interest. The conflict impacted on numerous people. Would you like to be in Agrestas position? Your boss makes all the calls on list management and then "stands aside" while the decision is made on listing HIS son. Or delisting his son.
Just based upon that it became untenable. And SOS himself admitted that Judd was bought in as an intermediary so SOS didn't have to deal with the CEO. How is that a healthy relationship ongoing? I'll call the shots but I wont be answerable to the CEO or speak to him. FMD.

I loved SOS as a player but he can keep walking IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Raising the point about being accused that SOS would " sabotage of the trade and draft period if he stayed", was unnecessary.
There's plenty of slanderous things and political bouts that don't need to be aired in public. This was the one today. Stupid.

Oh yeah, bringing in the Simpson Betts pay wasn't good for anyone either. Why would he bring that up? Highly confidential stuff.

Everything else was fine.

Cannot see how the rest really was detrimental for the club moving forward. Liddle will be fine.

I don't think that Liddle's desire to be a List Manager is a secret, and am glad it was bought to light; Liddle can make suggestions and set boundaries but how much AFL footy has he played?

Unlike his dad, SOS has probably grown up with a sense of entitlement, hence his persona, why he rubbed supporters the wrong way (he did say supporters and players are the 2 most important elements of a club, which proves, he saw himself above all that), hence wanted to climb the ladder, gave prefs to Xavier boys :lol: . AFL Commission would be happy with that.

The point about Gov being given a free ride was fantastic. That should have been said. Someone has to. The penny may finally have dropped for Gov after SOS' comments.

Lets hope that's all the dirty laundry he airs during Trade week.

I don't think he raised the value of Saad at all. The point made was that Saad was a top 5 player in a team that ended 4th last, and made the point that a HBF doesn't warrant a Top 10 pick. We all feel the same way.

What did come to light is how much bullshit posters on footy foums like TC and BF have made up as a matter of fact that SOS didnt want Eddie. Shame on you those who did.

Club doesn't need to say anything. It will all die down when we sign Williams and Saad and maybe another surprise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

I just had a chuckle to myself after realizing how long this has survived on TC: :garthp:
Newbies must think WTF is that :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Regards Cazzesman

Ben should never have been listed. He was a rookie selection at best. As was his school mate Finbar.
You can't compromise yourself like he did with Ben and then complain when you've been moved on for having a conflict of interest. The conflict impacted on numerous people. Would you like to be in Agrestas position? Your boss makes all the calls on list management and then "stands aside" while the decision is made on listing HIS son. Or delisting his son.
Just based upon that it became untenable. And SOS himself admitted that Judd was bought in as an intermediary so SOS didn't have to deal with the CEO. How is that a healthy relationship ongoing? I'll call the shots but I wont be answerable to the CEO or speak to him. FMD.

I loved SOS as a player but he can keep walking IMHO.

Spot on !!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next