Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 am 
Harry Vallence

TheSwan wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I hope the club has the grace to come out and say "that is SOS' version, we don't agree but it's not in anyones best interests to elaborate any further and we wish him all the best"
Jack doesn't need this shit in the media.

:thumbsup:

I don't think the club should say anything at all. Within a week this will be forgotten.

They will be asked the question so the best way is to reply as above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am 
Bruce Doull

Unfortunately it won't be forgotten. SOS has been hired by SEN to add 'colour' to their trade week coverage.

No doubt they'll be egging him on to pot us at every opportunity.

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person. The man damaged his legacy today.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 am 
Horrie Clover

Organizations employ people to perform roles and you need to back them in to do their jobs.
As soon as people start moving out of their lane and into someone else's, it all turns to sh!t.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am 
Bob Chitty

Disappointing that this has been brought up again almost a year after the fact.
None of the parties involved win out of this. Regardless of who is right or wrong, this doesn’t do much for SOS, it is an unnecessary distraction for the club heading into trade period and it puts more pressure on JSOS.
The only winner is SEN who get a few extra listeners and the journos who will now have a field day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 am 
Harry Vallence

BIBI01 wrote:
Organizations employ people to perform roles and you need to back them in to do their jobs.
As soon as people start moving out of their lane and into someone else's, it all turns to sh!t.

This is true but a CEO has many lanes and has every right to swim in whichever he feels he needs to for the good of an important decision and the club.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:48 am 
Stephen Silvagni

SOS can do a KB and @#$%&! off for 30 years for all I care.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am 
Bruce Doull

Yep, not a fan of a person who claims he loves the club to so publicly slag off the club and knife a sitting CEO like that.

Was a key informer in the salary cap stuff too, and while it's tricky to be overly critical of that (who knows what was going on behind the scenes back then), these comments make you wonder if he's playing a very long game.

Thank you for everything you did on the field SOS, there's probably not a Carlton supporter on the planet who didn't love what you gave us on the park. But, and I know it's easy for me to say this, time to move on SOS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 am 
Bruce Doull

@#$%&! off SOS

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

See above^^^^^

Diplomatic approach v less than diplomatic approach. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

TheSwan wrote:
It is OK for the CEO to come in and make calls and get involved in any department of the club he feels he needs to. SOS clearly didn't like it because he probably was used to having full control. If thats the reason why he is frustrated then I question his ability to deal with adversity within a work place. It happens all the time in the real world.

Where I feel for SOS is the part about his sons. The club should never have publicly mentioned his sons in the reason why SOS was let go. A simple statement saying that SOS's contract has expired and the club is looking at different options would have sufficed. That was poor and I can see why SOS would be hurt by that.

Getting Betts into the club was a great move and if it costs us more than what SOS wanted then it was the right call by Liddle. Without Betts there is a good chance Martin and Williams would not have chosen the club. The positive impact Betts has in the locker room can't be ignored.

No one is bigger than the club and I have no problem with Liddle making sure he is all over each department of the club and making decisions if he feels he needs to. SOS came across as a professional but read between the lines, there is a lot of bitterness there and mostly around the way his exit was handled. Everything else he spoke about relating to the club itself, was fairly petty and its easy to see both sides of the coin.

TheSwan wrote:
It is OK for the CEO to come in and make calls and get involved in any department of the club he feels he needs to. SOS clearly didn't like it because he probably was used to having full control. If thats the reason why he is frustrated then I question his ability to deal with adversity within a work place. It happens all the time in the real world.

Sorry but I don’t agree with this at all, this is not Asia where all employees must bow to the boss and never disagree. I’m very happy that SOS felt he was free to disagree with the boss in meetings as long as he had good reasons (and based on this conversation he did have good reasons). The CEO is the one in this case who seemed unable to “deal with adversity in the workplace” by the way he retaliated to being questioned.

It’s happened to me more than once “in the real world” where the advice of myself and other subject matter experts has been ignored by (traditional Asian) management who thought they knew better, and I was sanctioned and even lost my job for daring to disagree as the management couldn’t “deal with adversity” in the workplace. Ultimately I and my colleagues were proven right. Luckily I moved in to a much better job but I am still bitter about it.

Overall it was a good decision to bring Betts to the club, but we here at TC will never know what the true cost was in terms of list management.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
See above^^^^^

Diplomatic approach v less than diplomatic approach. :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 am 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
…Overall it was a good decision to bring Betts to the club, but we here at TC will never know what the true cost was in terms of list management.

You're right we don't know.

Based on SOS' comments today it seems like he wanted to pay Kade more money, but couldn't and then, suddenly there's extra cash available for Eddie. How much? We don't know and probably never will.

Overall, though, and I do accept that getting Betts might have been a way for Liddle to score an easy goal, so to speak, but if we also take at face value the comments that Eddie has helped us land Martin and (in theory) Williams, and possibly others, then is that extra money paid to Betts going to serve us well for many years to follow as (hopefully) Martin, Williams et al prosper with Carlton?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person.

Between the ages of 15-18 me and the girls spent quite a bit of time with the players, it started during a pre season camp in Echuca then carried on for several years. many of them knew us by name. I personally saw enough and spent enough time with SOS to know I did not like him as a human. I'm not going to post here the reasons for that. Koutoufides on the other hand, what a nice fella :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 am 
Bruce Doull

I also hope that the club don't give this more oxygen than it deserves by debating the points one at a time.

I would suggest a 'statement' from the club (not an individual) simply saying

Quote:
"While we're disappointed and disagree with Stephen's comments, we acknowledge his great contributions to the club both as an on-field champion and for bringing a great list together that we are confident will soon be a flag challenger. We wish Stephen all the best for his future endeavours, and look forward to Nick Austin and his recruiting team continuing the great work that Stephen started."

The club and its supporters have a hard enough time everyday fending off bullshit about the club being a basket case and laughing stock, this shit does not help.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Disappointing this on a number of levels
10 months after this happens the bomb has been dropped
SOS great player but wouldn’t be in the present financial situation he is without the club support and his background at Carlton
Was paid handsomely for list manager role as well
Very disappointing tipping bucket on club
Wouldn’t have gig on trade radio if wasn’t Carlton list manager
Good clubs that means you Liddle make sure these matters are sorted out properly and in particular where you are dealing with favourite Sons
And where is Sub Judice in all this isn’t he SOS mate why didn’t he prevent this from happening and why didn’t he head this off at the pass 10 months ago
AMATEUR HOUR from all concerned
We pay our money to a club to be run by these people who are not good enough
There is a reason why we have been Ordinary for 20 years look no further than all these people

In a trade period that is really important and started off so promisingly with good players wanting to be at our club VERY Disappointing and Bloody frustrating

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

https://sportz.blog/2020/10/21/sorry-so ... DIP43-6-Uk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

2020 just isn't the time for this sort of stuff SOS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person.

Between the ages of 15-18 me and the girls spent quite a bit of time with the players, it started during a pre season camp in Echuca then carried on for several years. many of them knew us by name. I personally saw enough and spent enough time with SOS to know I did not like him as a human. I'm not going to post here the reasons for that. Koutoufides on the other hand, what a nice fella :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that. It was only one brief interaction but I remember taking my nephew to the family day about 20 years ago and asking SOS for a photo with my nephew.
Came across as quite short bordering on rude. Ratts on the other hand one of the nicest blokes I've come across. Kris Massie and Ben Nelson were super blokes too.

On the current situation, would have been far better for SOS to keep his mouth shut. Well within his rights to feel aggrieved but lets not air dirty washing.
Club was wrong to bring his sons into it, but he is too for doing that now. There was clearly more to his being moved on than Jack and Ben.
Despite all that, I still like SOS. No question a super player. Probably greatest backman in the history of the game.
Overall, I thought he did a good job as a list manager. He was far from perfect, but all lists managers have had their share of hits and misses. He made more good decisions than bad ones but left the club in a far better position on field than what it was when he came in (not hard I know). Ultimately, the next 3 to 5 years will determine whether he was just an ok list manager with us or a great one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm 
Ken Hands

I wouldnt expect anything less from Sen look who is there Watson ,Lyons and Cornes known Carlton haters .SOS very disappointed you did the interview ,are you going to slag off at the club every time we make a decision .Sadly if I was JSOS I would try and leave .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Donstuie wrote:
Unfortunately it won't be forgotten. SOS has been hired by SEN to add 'colour' to their trade week coverage.

No doubt they'll be egging him on to pot us at every opportunity.

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person. The man damaged his legacy today.

Completely agree with this.
His legacy will also depend on whether the current list can take us to a premiership. If they can’t, he’ll wear plenty of responsibility for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next